BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Center Armrest Height with MT

05-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #23
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

It is certainly a different driving style. Remember driving a Lotus 30 years ago and besides being really quick you sat low and gearshift was way up there.
I pulled the armrest completely from my JCW. Was way better without.
Thing is the Germans would love to get rid of the stick shift. So I figure these kind of details are unimportant to them

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #24
Crebain
Rep
Drives: M2

Sorry for making people notice this =).

I'm just biased because my track stripped Miata is kind perfect for driving after I gutted it =). Im 6'2 and I look like a clown crawling out of it but damn once your in... it fits like a glove and taking out the whole center console was the best day of my life for shifting!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 07:38 PM   #25
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I was just thinking today how perfect the height of the M2 armrest is, I dislike the sliding however but that's just personal preference.

Last edited by eatingpizzainthef87rules; 05-17-2018 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 07:50 PM   #26
BMW604
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

The height is a bit low for me but don't mind it, I have more issue with the sliding feature.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:12 PM   #27
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

After following this thread awhile, I paid particular attention to my armrest as I drove to an event this evening. I have my seat pegged to its highest position with the electronic controls. Even so, my head is a couple of inches from any part of the roof, and Im 5'9" tall. The armrest at this height feels Perfect! Its where my arm naturally falls, and is in perfect position there to work the shifter.

As for the back and forth issue, the detente on mine is so stiff that the armrest doesnt budge unless I really try and move it off its stop..

So in general if BMW asked me, Id say the armrest is pretty damn near perfect (at least for those of us who like to see well over the hood and raise our seats high.)
randyt224.50
      05-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #28
TKO11
Rep

OK after trying the seat at all different heights I came to the conclusion that the armrest just doesn't work for me. Instead of driving around with it in the up position I just removed it today. I decided to make my own armrest/cover at a lower/thinner height .... and it won't slide around on its own either. So I made a pattern cut some wood and shaped some foam on top of it. The next step is to find some matching leather or alcantara and blue thread for stitching. But even unfinished it is SO MUCH BETTER for normal driving and shifting!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-18-2018, 10:43 PM   #29
entaiiie
Rep
Drives: 18' 6MT MG

I hate that when it's slid forward.. (what I find comfortable), if I pull the ebrake up, it opens the center console due to it hitting it .. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 12:53 AM   #30
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO11 View Post
OK after trying the seat at all different heights I came to the conclusion that the armrest just doesn't work for me. Instead of driving around with it in the up position I just removed it today. I decided to make my own armrest/cover at a lower/thinner height .... and it won't slide around on its own either. So I made a pattern cut some wood and shaped some foam on top of it. The next step is to find some matching leather or alcantara and blue thread for stitching. But even unfinished it is SO MUCH BETTER for normal driving and shifting!
Man, this must have really bothered you to replace your armrest with a fuzzy kickboard.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 08:28 AM   #31
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Well I ended up finding a 2nd hand F22 (RHD) armrest on eBay, pulled it apart and used the base piece for my modified armrest which is approx 45mm lower than the oem unit. Used the F22 dakota leather so it matches the seats & finish of the oem armrest minus the blue stitching, opens/closes identical to oem. I drive with the seat in lowest position and now my elbow barely touches the armrest during shifts, previously I had to push my elbow to the passenger side edge of the armrest so it wouldn't drag on the armrest. I tried raising the seat but found the feeling of sitting 'on' rather than 'in' the car was a bigger compromise. I no longer drive the the armrest up
If anyone wants I can post photos/details of how I did the new armrest.
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
      10-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #32
larry.beck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I tend to rest my elbow on mine, but really appreciate the creativity of your solution!
      10-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #33
babym2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 6MT

adjust ur seat
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #34
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by babym2 View Post
adjust ur seat
People come in all shapes and sizes. There are some that can't get it to work.
I'm lucky, 6'0" and with the seat all the way down the elbow height is just right.
Appreciate 1
randyt224.50
      10-10-2018, 09:33 PM   #35
Crebain
Rep

I love you David, stealing your idea asap!

Did you reuse the mounting hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Well I ended up finding a 2nd hand F22 (RHD) armrest on eBay, pulled it apart and used the base piece for my modified armrest which is approx 45mm lower than the oem unit. Used the F22 dakota leather so it matches the seats & finish of the oem armrest minus the blue stitching, opens/closes identical to oem. I drive with the seat in lowest position and now my elbow barely touches the armrest during shifts, previously I had to push my elbow to the passenger side edge of the armrest so it wouldn't drag on the armrest. I tried raising the seat but found the feeling of sitting 'on' rather than 'in' the car was a bigger compromise. I no longer drive the the armrest up
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #36
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crebain View Post
Did you reuse the mounting hardware?
I re-used the base which has the hinges and catch. I found it a little difficult separating the top & base pieces (obviously didn't want to break the plastic base), with the top slid forward I was able to get a large flat head screw driver in and pry apart the bearing sliding mechanism. I didn't want to risk trying this with the M2 armrest in case things went pear shaped and BMW AU wanting $600 for a replacement.
Once apart I used an angle grinder to remove all the 'raised' plastic (on the sides & back part) but this still leaves the middle part of the base recessed. For a flat surface to cover, using the top leather covered piece as a template I cut a piece of steel sheet (I used 1.6mm galvanised). Fixed 1/8th countersunk bolts to the steel sheet using 2 nuts p/bolt to ensure they never loosen, covered the steel with self adhesive felt (idea being to reduce the leather on top slipping and also to soften edges of the steel plate) then covered with the dakota leather which I tied underneath using polyester ribbon through the existing holes in the leather. At the end I shortened the bolts so I could use dome nuts to leave a clean finish on the underside of the base.
Some photos of the process (I had already removed the riveted steel brackets from the base before I took the 1st photo). I'm reasonably certain it will wear no differently than the oem armrest.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-15-2018, 09:42 PM   #37
TKO11
Rep

Nice job David! I finished mine too awhile back, SO much better for me now. I used BMW Alcantara and blue stitch (even thought it doesn't show in the pic).
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
      10-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #38
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Apologies, my bad interpretation.
In addition to shifting, from day one my wife complained about me elbowing her arm if she used the armrest. Now she complains about it being up. Hard to please though I’m sure I’m not Robinson Crusoe
Heh I have the same problem! I elbow my wife when her arms is on the armrest all the time when I'm shifting....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 10:41 PM   #39
Jay Dakota
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Lightbulb

Quote:
I realize this is an old thread, but I was searching for an aftermarket solution for the high armrest, such as a delete, but this is a better option. OP, Thank you for the inspiration! I picked up a used armrest from eBay, some leather and self-adhesive, 6mm foam padding. I'm going to do the same with the sheet metal.
Appreciate 1
David.m437.00
      08-05-2022, 01:23 AM   #40
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dakota View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but I was searching for an aftermarket solution for the high armrest, such as a delete, but this is a better option. OP, Thank you for the inspiration! I picked up a used armrest from eBay, some leather and self-adhesive, 6mm foam padding. I'm going to do the same with the sheet metal.
more than 4yrs on I don't even give the armrest a thought
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 09:19 PM   #41
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I’m 6’3 and like to keep the seat nearly to the top setting, which eliminates any kind of armrest issue. I know most people feel like the seat in this car doesn’t go LOW enough, but raising it allows me to comfortably extend my legs without being too far from the steering wheel. If I move the seat back, I’m reaching uncomfortably (and I can’t get the clutch down as aggressively as I’d like.) If I move it forward, my knees are above my waist.

Highly recommend giving it a shot for a week or two until you get used to it. I never feel like I’m riding too high at this point.
Appreciate 0