BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Are m2 mperformance coilovers worth the 3g?

04-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
dennysonr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive

Are m2 mperformance coilovers worth the 3g?

Im week 17 and making my list

i told dealer i wanted mperformance coils installed at port, for someone with the car and knowledge, is this worth the money to get done, not just for stance, but for ride quality , track etc?
Past: 2009 135i
Past: 2006 330xi
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #2
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I chose MP CO's because it was developed for the M2 and no warranty implications. I'm very happy with the ride height, improved driving dynamics and it's not harsh in my opinion.

I had my ride height adjusted and corner balanced from a reputable shop. You are not going to get this from BMW. If you are looking for an OEM setup, you're familiar with CO suspensions (specifically KW V3's) and you are looking for your car height to be lower but not tucked... you should definitely consider MP CO's.

There are reviews in the forum you can sift through. If it ticks the boxes you are looking for, getting it port installed makes sense. You'd pay around 3K for a comparable non OEM setup.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

It's worth it. To begin with, you can find forum sponsors and others selling the package for under $2300. I tracked the car at Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park on stock suspension ( GC plates added) then back to the same tracks after MP coilovers and corner balanced....much improved handling without compromising the ride. Make sure that whoever does the install also knows how to adjust ride height, rake and balance. The shop I use also recommended adjustable end links to unload the suspension when lowered to get a more accurate balance.
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #4
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Blur View Post
I chose MP CO's because it was developed for the M2 and no warranty implications. I'm very happy with the ride height, improved driving dynamics and it's not harsh in my opinion.

I had my ride height adjusted and corner balanced from a reputable shop. You are not going to get this from BMW. If you are looking for an OEM setup, you're familiar with CO suspensions (specifically KW V3's) and you are looking for your car height to be lower but not tucked... you should definitely consider MP CO's.

There are reviews in the forum you can sift through. If it ticks the boxes you are looking for, getting it port installed makes sense. You'd pay around 3K for a comparable non OEM setup.
Sorry, not trying to thread jack, but do you have a go-to shop for this type of thing in LA? Looking for reputable shops.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #5
victormlife
United_States
Rep
Drives: CLK until M2 arrives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
It's worth it. To begin with, you can find forum sponsors and others selling the package for under $2300. I tracked the car at Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park on stock suspension ( GC plates added) then back to the same tracks after MP coilovers and corner balanced....much improved handling without compromising the ride. Make sure that whoever does the install also knows how to adjust ride height, rake and balance. The shop I use also recommended adjustable end links to unload the suspension when lowered to get a more accurate balance.
questio

Quick question could i get this suspension installed at the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:54 PM   #6
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Do GC plates for OEM suspension still work with MP coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:56 PM   #7
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

cant more people see it the car we call m2 is really a X2M from factory.
      04-11-2017, 12:23 AM   #8
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam3v View Post
Quote:

Sorry, not trying to thread jack, but do you have a go-to shop for this type of thing in LA? Looking for reputable shops.
West End Alignment in Gardena.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2017, 06:44 AM   #9
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Do GC plates for OEM suspension still work with MP coilovers?
Yes....perfect fit with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #10
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

Quote:
Where can I buy adjustable end links to use with stock sway bar? Ive been searching. No luck. Dinan makes them but they come with their sway bar set.
      04-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #11
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
Quote:
Where can I buy adjustable end links to use with stock sway bar? Ive been searching. No luck. Dinan makes them but they come with their sway bar set.
I've seen HP Autosport posting in the M2 vendor classifieds section
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #12
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

Quote:
I've seen HP Autosport posting in the M2 vendor classifieds section
thanks!
      04-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #13
dennysonr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive

Quote:

great info!
Past: 2009 135i
Past: 2006 330xi
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #14
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
HP Autosport...great quality and fit....I think they are a forum sponsor.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 12:53 AM   #15
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by victormlife View Post

Quick question could i get this suspension installed at the dealer?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 06:23 AM   #16
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
cant more people see it the car we call m2 is really a X2M from factory.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 08:00 AM   #17
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
I had my ride height adjusted and corner balanced from a reputable shop. You are not going to get this from BMW.
Well, kind of as they have a recommended setting and height that they have put hundred of hours testing out.
How different is your height now from the recommended setting by BMW?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 09:54 AM   #18
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
Quote:
I had my ride height adjusted and corner balanced from a reputable shop. You are not going to get this from BMW.
Well, kind of as they have a recommended setting and height that they have put hundred of hours testing out.
How different is your height now from the recommended setting by BMW?
I had my height set by West End Alignment. They read the manual to set to tow, rebound and dampening per the recommendations. The ride height was set based on camber for my driving style as a daily driver and tread wear since I didn't have camber plates and the front was too low when installed. The rear was almost set to the lowest setting and was left as is. I trusted West End to dial in my car since they did a fantastic job for me in the past. They set the front slightly higher than the rear. I don't have the height adjustment settings.
Based on the adjust/corner balance sheet:
Front camber -1.3
Rear camber -1.6
Front toe 1/16
Rear toe 3/32
Appreciate 1
metrickid3027.00
      04-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #19
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

West end alignment is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #20
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
West end alignment is awesome.
True story:

I've been using Darin since the mid nineties. Before he opened West End. Every time Darin would touch my cars, I'd win my class. A couple of times Darin was not available...I did not win.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 12:17 AM   #21
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

From what I've read, the coils are pretty much a rebranded KW, only that it's 2 way adjustable, not 3. I have yet to adjust the stiffness on mine (I think it's set to the softest). Mine is also lowered about 5mm all around. But for the peace of mind, it's a nice upgrade to do, and you don't have to worry about warranty being voided. If you don't care about warranty, then I would invest in a nice set of KW or Ohlins depending on your needs.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 12:42 AM   #22
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecaf View Post
From what I've read, the coils are pretty much a rebranded KW, only that it's 2 way adjustable, not 3. I have yet to adjust the stiffness on mine (I think it's set to the softest). Mine is also lowered about 5mm all around. But for the peace of mind, it's a nice upgrade to do, and you don't have to worry about warranty being voided. If you don't care about warranty, then I would invest in a nice set of KW or Ohlins depending on your needs.
BMW CO's are 3 way; rebound, dampening and height
Appreciate 0