BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BIMMERPOST BMW M2 In Depth Review from Laguna Seca

02-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #133
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Best Bimmerpost video yet!
Really funny that you and Bill Auberlen had to slow down to let everyone else catch up.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 3
      02-16-2016, 09:44 PM   #134
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc328 View Post
Great stuff

Are those brake noise at the track?
Sam already addressed this. They installed track pads for the track.

Oem pads will not squeak.
My R4S pads sound exactly the same when on track. They work well though.
      02-16-2016, 09:51 PM   #135
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Sam where are you from? I hear a lot of Brit speak in there.
      02-16-2016, 09:56 PM   #136
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
The M2 is on the shortlist for my next car, but this video actually reinforces the idea that an F80 is what I'm looking for. I'm going to keep trying to talk myself into the less-expensive M2 though...
      02-16-2016, 09:56 PM   #137
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Bimmerpost View Post
As always, your comments and questions are welcome. I'll be here to chat with you on this thread and discuss this new M2. I'll also continue to update this post with additional written content as they come to mind.
Well done, Sam !

Always appreciated to witness some straight talk presented with genuine enthusiasm. Hands-on.

I also liked the fact that you refrained from going through all the specs and options: most viewers want their thirst to be quenched, pleasing the senses with sound and vision. You spoiled us the right way.

Furthermore, what a privilege to be offered the chance to drive the M2 6MT and M2 M-DCT back-to-back. 6MT got the upper hand for you, both in a literal and figurative way. That perfectly makes sense to me.

As the M2 seems to remind you of sweet oldskool ///M, I got a 1M related question for you. As you know, Frank Isenberg was the key engineer behind the 1M and was equally the M2 project leader. In the CAR interview (December 2015) he pointed out that the 1M feistiness factor was taken care of for the M2:
The 1M rode like it had ants in its pants, and you caught its oversteer more with punches than steering inputs. I ask [Frank Isenberg] if that feistiness was intentional, or a by-product of the M melting pot. «Byproduct,» confirms Isenberg. «We were still learning with the turbocharged engine. For the M2, the ride is much more compliant, and it’s not so tricky at the limit.» The big question, of course, is how M2 compares with M4, and which Isenberg prefers. «M2,» he answers without hesitation. «I like the smaller cars. The M2 might even be faster through a tight slalom.» Or around the Nürburgring. Officially, the M2 is good for a 7min 58sec, the M4 a 7min52sec. The 1M did 8min 15sec.
So here's my question for you: may we consider the M2 as a 'domesticated' 1M beast ? The wild youngster that got matured a little, but still got the itch for some hooliganism if requested to do so ?

Re your reference to the E46 M3 CSL. The airbox song sung by that car is nothing less than outright glorious (and without Active Sound Design):

My M2 goes into production next April. Spec'ed as 6MT and Mineral Grey from day 1. Zero hesitation. It's gonna be my twisties & mountain passes fun provider.

Name:  M2_NewSheriff.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  15.2 KBName:  M2_Batman_VanGogh.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  46.1 KB
      02-16-2016, 10:00 PM   #138
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
^ what he said. A great all-round review without all the silly wheel spin and slow-mo antics!
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 10:01 PM   #139
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Badass! yeah!
      02-16-2016, 10:04 PM   #140
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcocke View Post
Thank you Sam for the thorough, well executed, and passionate review. Watching how the car drove and seeing your true enthusiasm sold me on the car. I was waffling between the M2 and M3, but the video sold me. Watching the car on the track and the road is exactly what I was hoping for.

So much so, after your video, I called the dealership I had been working with and put my deposit down on the M2...I'm number one in line!!!

Thanks again so much for your efforts (and you too Jason!) it is greatly appreciated!
How did you get to be number 1 so late??
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #141
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Very well done Sam. The video is going to haunt me!!! I have been dying to get my allocation and this will make it far worse. Clearly you enjoyed the car. What are your thoughts about living with it as a daily driver??
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:14 PM   #142
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
Also, any confirmation on whether or not it is the same turbo and the M235i?
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
Did my question get overlooked intentionally or is it because we still don't know?
Intentional, got it.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:16 PM   #143
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

Im happy we got multiple laps. Sam just basically just kept recording the entire session. Awesome!!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #144
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Sam,

Thanks for the great review and detailed write up.

Any feedback on road noise and ride comfort as a daily driver. When the awe factor wears off the new high performance level of the M2, is this something you could take on a 6 hour road trip? Or should I ask if this is something you could take mom on a long trip in and expect minimal complaints. How much louder is it than the regular 2 series when not wide open?

I need a jack of all trades, not just a track machine
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #145
2010MSPORT335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Sam, how does this compare to the 1M?
      02-16-2016, 10:42 PM   #146
King_Slayer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Thanks Sam and Jason and everybody else who made the video possible, great job and we all appreciate it!

From the reviews and videos that have been posted I get an understanding of what it will be like on track, but how did the car feel on the streets? Will it be super stiff as a daily driver? Or was it a comfortable drive?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 11:08 PM   #147
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is
All of the M3/M4 haters get to come out of the woodwork again with a new argument - "I don't like it because it's too good!"
Why would an M3/4 owner hate on an M2?

Great review Sam! Thanks!
      02-16-2016, 11:19 PM   #148
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
i think the M2 will be everything we all look for in a fun throwback to the first MCars. It's going to be an amazing daily driver.
      02-16-2016, 11:25 PM   #149
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Great review.
      02-16-2016, 11:40 PM   #150
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Wow I'm really impressed. It looks really strong and sounds marvellous, the thought of this with MPE is sex. I switched from M2 to ordering the F80 and this review has made me question if I really did make the right choice. Haha

You can definitely hear what is meant by lacking extra revs in the videos though. It ends all prematurely and a few more revs would be nice . Compare this to any of the M3 vids and you sense more thrill in the top end. I love how you can hear the turbo spool. It's working hard and looks like you can feel it too.

No doubt it seems the M2 is the pick as far as being more accessible and playful. Though these things are very important to me and I maybe sacrificing this (to be determined once I get my M3) I've evolved to a point where I want the better engine and extra bespoke items like seats, CF bits, power dome and mirrors, plus need the extra doors. Aside from the engine I know everything else are just cosmetic. All just my opinion.

My final thoughts would be M2 is playful on the street and track. M3 a lot harder to extract the playfulness on the street but more playful on a track.

M2 looks like a great M car. cant wait to see Chris Harris's review.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 11:41 PM   #151
saint3448
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Sunset Orange M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Well done, Sam !

Always appreciated to witness some straight talk presented with genuine enthusiasm. Hands-on.

I also liked the fact that you refrained from going through all the specs and options: most viewers want their thirst to be quenched, pleasing the senses with sound and vision. You spoiled us the right way.

Furthermore, what a privilege to be offered the chance to drive the M2 6MT and M2 M-DCT back-to-back. 6MT got the upper hand for you, both in a literal and figurative way. That perfectly makes sense to me.

As the M2 seems to remind you of sweet oldskool ///M, I got a 1M related question for you. As you know, Frank Isenberg was the key engineer behind the 1M and was equally the M2 project leader. In the CAR interview (December 2015) he pointed out that the 1M feistiness factor was taken care of for the M2:
The 1M rode like it had ants in its pants, and you caught its oversteer more with punches than steering inputs. I ask [Frank Isenberg] if that feistiness was intentional, or a by-product of the M melting pot. «Byproduct,» confirms Isenberg. «We were still learning with the turbocharged engine. For the M2, the ride is much more compliant, and it’s not so tricky at the limit.» The big question, of course, is how M2 compares with M4, and which Isenberg prefers. «M2,» he answers without hesitation. «I like the smaller cars. The M2 might even be faster through a tight slalom.» Or around the Nürburgring. Officially, the M2 is good for a 7min 58sec, the M4 a 7min52sec. The 1M did 8min 15sec.
So here's my question for you: may we consider the M2 as a 'domesticated' 1M beast ? The wild youngster that got matured a little, but still got the itch for some hooliganism if requested to do so ?

Re your reference to the E46 M3 CSL. The airbox song sung by that car is nothing less than outright glorious (and without Active Sound Design):

My M2 goes into production next April. Spec'ed as 6MT and Mineral Grey from day 1. Zero hesitation. It's gonna be my twisties & mountain passes fun provider.

Attachment 1366434Attachment 1366435
.....I'm going to miss my E46.....god I love that car. Wish I could keep both.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 11:45 PM   #152
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint3448 View Post
.....I'm going to miss my E46.....god I love that car. Wish I could keep both.
I miss mine! I have had 2 E46 M3s and the one was a Cherry LSB with only 27K miles on it when I sold it ~3 yrs ago. Not sure what I was thinking...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 12:07 AM   #153
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I really like the M2 in so many ways, but while the sound is good, it is dull. It sounds like my M235i which is not a bad thing but I can't help but miss naturally aspirated induction and mechanical noise. These turbo cars are just too subdued. Now if you like air vacuum noise and exhaust only, then no problem here but the E46 CSL video above just really highlights the difference of actually hearing the car vs the ho hum of the turbo cars. Imagine the M2 with an 8400 RPM I6 or V8. The torque is great in the turbos, but the auditory emotion of NA can't be replaced.
Appreciate 2
      02-17-2016, 12:27 AM   #154
Sam@Bimmerpost
Contributor - Editor
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinimod View Post
I think I know what Sam means when he says the car is more frisky. When I had an M235i for a day, it felt wild and hectic. It feels light, wants to dance around the corners. In comparison, my own M4 felt robust, tamed, twice as heavy (and less lively).

I personally didn't like the hectic feeling of the M235i chassis and steering. I didn't find it playful, but more like unbalanced and discomposed. Steering wheel was just moving on its own. Way too much on the other end of the scale. If M2 is similar to that, I think I wouldn't like it, but to each his own. I think it would need to be somewhere between M235i and M3/M4.

(Cayman to me is actually playful and frisky but balanced and composed. But again, there's only so much BMW can do with a front engine car.)
I think your observation is insightful and valid. It's a matter of preference and if you don't like the 'live wire' feel, then you may not like the M2. However, I wouldn't judge the M2 based on your experience with the M235i alone because the M2 drives quite differently. The only way to know is to experience one for yourself but I suspect that you may prefer the M4. Nothing wrong with that, and I get why you prefer it. The journalist who drove behind me on the track session was not comfortable with the way the M2 moves around either. Some people just like a locked-in, on rails feel versus a frisky, dancey feel.

The Cayman is agile and the mid-engined character is hugely satisfying. But I wouldn't call it frisky. For me frisky is a car that moves around and is easy to induce throttle oversteer. That's not really the Cayman. I see the Cayman as kind of a mid-engined version of what the M4 does. With the exception of the GT4 of course. That's a hardcore version of that same philosophy. I consider the M2 hardcore as well but in a BMW easy supple way. Where as the GT4 (and probably the M4 GTS as well) is hardcore in a stiff Porsche way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
Sam, thanks for the great review! I really enjoyed that.

Your enthusiasm for the M2 is catchy for sure, and you genuinely enjoyed yourself out there (yes, the pacific coast drive is amazing).

Can't wait to see more videos from you in the future!

I agree and hopefully the demographics it hits home with are the younger generations as well. Kids who are starting to drive, and high school and college kids who one day want an M car or Cayman or a Corvette, whatever. Keep the tradition alive!
Thanks csbear. Do you have a sapphire GT4 coming or did you already take delivery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
Hey Sam, I think you might have liked the 640i xDrive steering because it is hydraulic! However, typically xDrives have numb steering, so this is quite interesting news...
I did not expect that. But now it makes perfect sense why it felt so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcocke View Post
Thank you Sam for the thorough, well executed, and passionate review. Watching how the car drove and seeing your true enthusiasm sold me on the car. I was waffling between the M2 and M3, but the video sold me. Watching the car on the track and the road is exactly what I was hoping for.

So much so, after your video, I called the dealership I had been working with and put my deposit down on the M2...I'm number one in line!!!

Thanks again so much for your efforts (and you too Jason!) it is greatly appreciated!
Amazing! You're going to LOVE this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantm135i View Post
hi sam, could you tell the differance 0-60 dct vs manual, was one more quicker that you could feel. What would you guess the 1/4mile at? thanks for the great review.
I'll be the first to admit that the DCT shifts faster than I can, so I don't think the manual is going to win this particular 0-60 contest. However, the manual never 'felt' any slower to me than the DCT. I think if max performance is your game, then DCT has to be it. But I know from driving both transmissions back to back that I definitely enjoyed the manual more. Also, while fast, the DCT max attack upshifts are quite violent. You can actually see my head snap in the video. I can upshift a manual pretty fast and aggressively, but I don't snap my own head back unexpectedly like that. The Porsche PDK does a better job and is just as fast if not faster.
Appreciate 0