BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > MR. explains his future M2 Competition w/ M Performance Parts build (video)

05-15-2018, 08:14 PM   #45
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I know it's not apples to apples, but I am running 295s on my F80 - and plenty of folks are doing the same, whether that's on 437 or 666M.
I'm running 295s too on my M4 with 7.5mm spacers (on stock 666m) and they still don't rub. However, M2 seems to have much less clearance. 10" rear 437m, 763m, and 788m can all accommodate 295s with no problem but I think there is a good chance they will rub when they are mounted on the car. I checked the M2 wheel fitment threads but haven't seen anyone running 295s on the stock wheels without rubbing. M3_WC, you said some people are running this setup on their M2s. Can you please point us to your sources?

Last edited by M-Pilot; 05-15-2018 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      05-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #46
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I'm running 295s too on my M4 with 7.5mm spacers (on stock 666m) and they still don't rub. However, M2 seems to have much less clearance. 10" rear 437m, 763m, and 788m can all accommodate 295s with no problem but I think there is a good chance they will rub when they are mounted on the car. I checked the M2 wheel fitment threads but haven't seen anyone running 295s on the stock wheels without rubbing. M3_WC, you said some people are running this setup on their M2s. Can you please point us to your sources?
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1294914
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      05-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #47
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1294914
Awesome! Really appreciate this
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 10:57 PM   #48
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Appreciated the vid.

But seriously, am I the only one here who thinks this Schmee guy is annoying AF?
Appreciate 2
      05-15-2018, 11:08 PM   #49
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Appreciated the vid.

But seriously, am I the only one here who thinks this Schmee guy is annoying AF?
Nah, a little quirky but he seems genuine. You could rattle off numerous car youtubers that have hundreds of thousand followers that are complete d-bags.
Appreciate 1
Who?484.50
      05-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #50
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Appreciated the vid.

Before you have an opinion learn to write someone's "name" right...

Going back to your point... You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but we are happy that a lot of people do enjoy the content. And you don't have to watch it...

MR
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #51
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

MR.,
When will you and Tim start recording your M5 and M2c videos? Any idea when they'll be up for viewing?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
hellrotm4142.50
      05-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #52
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
MR.,
When will you and Tim start recording your M5 and M2c videos? Any idea when they'll be up for viewing?

Thanks
I think he mentioned July timeframe in his previous posts.
Appreciate 1
Tag18119.50
      05-21-2018, 07:45 PM   #53
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
MR.,
Thanks
Shmee150 posted already two F90 M5 videos: see here and here.
      05-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #54
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Shmee150 posted already two F90 M5 videos: see here and here.
Yes, I've watched both of those videos already. I'm interested in the M2 review from our fellow member, MR. as he's very much part of the conversation here and can help answer many of our questions as well as demo some of them. Also would like to see and hear more of that M5.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 03:25 AM   #55
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Tag I cannot give you any dates, location or what is happening, but I can tell you we are part of it.

I can also say it is quite soon and it will be around July somewhere. And you forgot a C behind M5 in your post.

MR
Appreciate 1
Tag18119.50
      05-22-2018, 07:36 AM   #56
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Quote:
Appreciated the vid.

No, no you are not. He's too in your face for my liking, but i don't watch his videos. Bar the one on the M2C of course as it was the only one out at the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #57
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Before you have an opinion learn to write someone's "name" right...

Going back to your point... You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but we are happy that a lot of people do enjoy the content. And you don't have to watch it...

MR
You're right, and I don't most of the time, mainly because I don't like his overly chirpy style that so many presenters think is a car vlog prerequisite. But hey, that's his style and obviously a lot of people like it. I think the (your?) content is actually quite good, I just find it hard/cringeworthy to watch. My 2c, feel free to ignore it (and I don't mean any offence either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Nah, a little quirky but he seems genuine. You could rattle off numerous car youtubers that have hundreds of thousand followers that are complete d-bags.
Fair point. Some of them post vids that are just 10 mins of nothing - just pointless chatter / white noise with no objective analysis, no information, sometimes not even an opinion, just 'hey check out my face I'm driving a sweet car'. Looking at you, Archie Hamilton.

Fair play to them all, though, as they are clearly doing something right to be gallivanting about in supercars all day...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #58
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Haha. Interesting the turn this thread has taken. Don't get me started on Tim's insufferable hedonistic videos going out telling us how many super cars he has and that he can take them out all at once.
However, now Tim has taken a turn to the dark side. As a somewhat independent auto journalist (the modern day version as exists on YouTube), he has now become a whore to BMW. While I note there are still some critical comments on the M3 CS, like the weak exhaust sound, he and Marc are both getting inside deals on cars. Inside release perspective on the M3C. A new M5 to "drive around" for free. Getting too chummy dilutes content and will result in videos that are basically new car ads. I've also questioned how many people really care about the young YouTubers promoting $100k and mostly $150k plus cars. I guess people watch out of envy, but do the people that really buy the cars watch? Maybe.

But really, driving around a track? Even Chris Harris gets boring hooning around a track. Watching someone that can barely track a car driving around a track is like watching paint dry. Take all the lessons at the Ring you want...

I can't argue with the over 1 million subscribers. People watch. I watch. For BMW, this is insanely cheap advertising. And it has pretty good reach. I see what's going on.
Appreciate 1
MR_M2517.50
      05-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #59
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Haha. Interesting the turn this thread has taken. Don't get me started on Tim's insufferable hedonistic videos going out telling us how many super cars he has and that he can take them out all at once.
However, now Tim has taken a turn to the dark side. As a somewhat independent auto journalist (the modern day version as exists on YouTube), he has now become a whore to BMW. While I note there are still some critical comments on the M3 CS, like the weak exhaust sound, he and Marc are both getting inside deals on cars. Inside release perspective on the M3C. A new M5 to "drive around" for free. Getting too chummy dilutes content and will result in videos that are basically new car ads. I've also questioned how many people really care about the young YouTubers promoting $100k and mostly $150k plus cars. I guess people watch out of envy, but do the people that really buy the cars watch? Maybe.

But really, driving around a track? Even Chris Harris gets boring hooning around a track. Watching someone that can barely track a car driving around a track is like watching paint dry. Take all the lessons at the Ring you want...

I can't argue with the over 1 million subscribers. People watch. I watch. For BMW, this is insanely cheap advertising. And it has pretty good reach. I see what's going on.
I couldn't agree more. That's precisely what a lot of YouTube content is now... advertisingwith a TINGE of objectivity here and there.

The sad thing is actual automotive 'journalism' suffers for it, just like journalism in general is suffering across every vertical.

There's very little incentive for individuals to offer objective, unpaid, "unbuttered up" reporting, because millions will still watch aforementioned diluted content all the same.. so why would they risk burning their bridges to more rides? Even less incentive for them to actually study the profession, too.

I think plenty of YouTubers have storytelling talent but because they aren't backed by well-funded organisations or publications, they do what they have to do to get their bums into seats.

Hopefully we haven't seen the last Jeremy Clarkson... someone who is a) willing to tell it like it is and berate where berating is needed and b) someone who is incredibly entertaining at doing so...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #60
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post

Interesting opinion, but mostly based on not enough information on this subject, which is fair because you cannot know it all and there is a decent amount of information that you need to know first. That is next to the fact that influencers are running their businesses on the similar set up as any other media has done over the years. Influencers are just a new thing next to the TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites, etc.

I can confirm that since I have been a journalist for more than 15 years, not only in the automotive world. The main difference is that influencers are often sole entrepreneurs that run a business that is much much wider than just a daily YouTube video but nobody ever sees that.

However, I don't think this forum topic is the place to discuss this. If you want to know more and discuss it, reach out to me personally and I am more than happy to explain how this world works and why it only works as it is now. In the end, I was one of the architects of it.

MR
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #61
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I couldn't agree more. That's precisely what a lot of YouTube content is now... advertisingwith a TINGE of objectivity here and there.

The sad thing is actual automotive 'journalism' suffers for it, just like journalism in general is suffering across every vertical.

There's very little incentive for individuals to offer objective, unpaid, "unbuttered up" reporting, because millions will still watch aforementioned diluted content all the same.. so why would they risk burning their bridges to more rides? Even less incentive for them to actually study the profession, too.

I think plenty of YouTubers have storytelling talent but because they aren't backed by well-funded organisations or publications, they do what they have to do to get their bums into seats.

Hopefully we haven't seen the last Jeremy Clarkson... someone who is a) willing to tell it like it is and berate where berating is needed and b) someone who is incredibly entertaining at doing so...
To summarize your comment... Journalism is not a profitable business, but one based around passion first. I can confirm that after 15 years of being a journalist. It allows you to experience unique things, but only a few will ever have the ability to become rich from it like Clarkson.

Look at the world around you.... EVO is half dead, Motor1 stopped a few weeks ago, Motortrend left YouTube to survive via a paywall, Carwow is funded massively but the owners aren't happy with the YouTube results, Carfection is costing a lot of money and not going anywhere...

The automotive journalism world is massively under pressure simply because it is impossible to be profitable. Harris only made his YouTube channel to be in the picture for Top Gear, but even Top Gear is falling apart. The view numbers are not good, and The Grand Tour seems to come to an end and will not be extended.

The main reason to all of this is the way we changed and are absorbing content. It has to be more fluid, shorter, faster, and catchy. Call it the engagement war if you want to (the person who shouts the loudest wins), but in-depth journalism is finding it hard to survive. In the end, influencers are not journalists. They are a new kind of media offering a mix of entertainment, admiration, experience driven content and a touch of a honest opinion.

It is not for everyone, but different media never have been... One reads the Sun, the other Daily Mail and maybe someone else the Telegraph. Making what a part of the global audience wants to see is what is the key, not making content for a niche. This is not what I say, but Jeremy Clarkson and we all know how successful he has become.

MR

Last edited by MR.; 05-22-2018 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 4
Mr Pete1596.50
LBBDrew336.00
Tag18119.50
qnet681.50
      05-22-2018, 05:35 PM   #62
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
You're right, and I don't most of the time, mainly because I don't like his overly chirpy style that so many presenters think is a car vlog prerequisite. But hey, that's his style and obviously a lot of people like it. I think the (your?) content is actually quite good, I just find it hard/cringeworthy to watch. My 2c, feel free to ignore it (and I don't mean any offence either).

Fair point. Some of them post vids that are just 10 mins of nothing - just pointless chatter / white noise with no objective analysis, no information, sometimes not even an opinion, just 'hey check out my face I'm driving a sweet car'. Looking at you, Archie Hamilton.

Fair play to them all, though, as they are clearly doing something right to be gallivanting about in supercars all day...

I just don't personally like the type of car vloggers that go from cool car to cool car to cool car just giving people a bullet point list of features and their first impressions. I like videos where they own the car, or get to drive it long term over a week or so and can go more in depth on the car and the driving experience. Even Doug's videos I find more interesting because he talks about lesser known features or quirks of a car, and also looks at older cars that you won't commonly find videos about.

But I mean I get it, there is a market for videos where they just go from super car to super car and rattle off the features.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 05:53 PM   #63
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Interesting thread ! Needed pause from the M2c hype !
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 06:22 PM   #64
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I just don't personally like the type of car vloggers that go from cool car to cool car to cool car just giving people a bullet point list of features and their first impressions. I like videos where they own the car, or get to drive it long term over a week or so and can go more in depth on the car and the driving experience. Even Doug's videos I find more interesting because he talks about lesser known features or quirks of a car, and also looks at older cars that you won't commonly find videos about.

But I mean I get it, there is a market for videos where they just go from super car to super car and rattle off the features.
I agree. He's got a great point of difference there and is genuinely funny with some of his commentary.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #65
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
To summarize your comment... Journalism is not a profitable business, but one based around passion first. I can confirm that after 15 years of being a journalist. It allows you to experience unique things, but only a few will ever have the ability to become rich from it like Clarkson.

Look at the world around you.... EVO is half dead, Motor1 stopped a few weeks ago, Motortrend left YouTube to survive via a paywall, Carwow is funded massively but the owners aren't happy with the YouTube results, Carfection is costing a lot of money and not going anywhere...

The automotive journalism world is massively under pressure simply because it is impossible to be profitable. Harris only made his YouTube channel to be in the picture for Top Gear, but even Top Gear is falling apart. The view numbers are not good, and The Grand Tour seems to come to an end and will not be extended.

The main reason to all of this is the way we changed and are absorbing content. It has to be more fluid, shorter, faster, and catchy. Call it the engagement war if you want to (the person who shouts the loudest wins), but in-depth journalism is finding it hard to survive. In the end, influencers are not journalists. They are a new kind of media offering a mix of entertainment, admiration, experience driven content and a touch of a honest opinion.

It is not for everyone, but different media never have been... One reads the Sun, the other Daily Mail and maybe someone else the Telegraph. Making what a part of the global audience wants to see is what is the key, not making content for a niche. This is not what I say, but Jeremy Clarkson and we all know how successful he has become.

MR
I agree with a lot of what you are saying and you are preaching to the choir to some extent - I am a former journalist who moved into corporate communications years ago because I saw the writing on the wall (and because I wanted to get decently paid). The industry's demise is a real shame. I guess I'm part of that dwindling 'niche' who still yearns for professionally delivered content (which I'd happily pay for btw) instead of the giggling selfie vlog that is puked out daily to bait clicks.

"It has to be more fluid, shorter, faster, and catchy" - the irony here is a great deal of content is now dreadfully long (some clips 10 mins plus!) and not at all fluid - just repeated drivel. As you would know, there's a real skill to brevity, and the vast majority of these guys (including Shmee, IMO) just don't get it or are just ignoring it to fit in more ads.

#rantover though, I've hijacked the thread enough, and I feel we are both on the same wavelength here despite our feelings on the influencer in question. On the plus side.. nowadays we have incredible access to raw vision of these cars because of what's happening, and that's a great thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 03:38 AM   #66
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
the irony here is a great deal of content is now dreadfully long (some clips 10 mins plus!) and not at all fluid - just repeated drivel.
Generally speaking, content matters: without substance (entertainment) you lose (potential) VLOG audience. Highly diluted content / click-bait is self-destructive for any VLOGer in the long run. The VLOGer can get away with fooling his audience a few times but will lose (recurrent) viewers. People start to get more and more irritated when they feel tricked by click-bait. Ask yourself how you could summarize a 10+ minute video you just saw: what was the entertainment level for you personally on a scale of 1 to 10 ? If you experienced it as mostly a waste of your time and the VLOGer has been posting similar pointless stuff lately, (s)he is sawing off the tree branch (s)he's sitting on and will inevitably crash.

YouTube and the like should not reward clicks, but real running time views: did someone watch the whole video or most parts of it, or merely just zap a few seconds and leave ?