BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Another day. Another gun. Another school. Texas

Today, 03:36 PM   #375
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
*handguns. edited it
Yeah. Those either aren't illegal in the UK.

Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well, I believe in God -- and the only thing that scares me is Lups.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 03:39 PM   #376
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Chicago!!

Murder capital of the world! Since they restricted gun laws in that state state I cant write or pronounce (ill I noise. That's how it sounds!).

I'm not very good in geography but since I live next door to Russia, and our drugs come from there and the great work of our border officers keeps those numbers relative low, I can only assume that if I wanted to go nuts in Chicago (which I have do in an other way but violence) I might just drive there from lets say any of the 5states bordering it or maybe even from Canada!
https://www.npr.org/2017/10/05/55558...aws-don-t-work
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:39 PM   #377
TheWatchGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
it's the mass murders though. It's far easier to kill multiple people with a gun as it is with a knife. Instead of looking outside off the US, just look at the states themselves. Those with stricter gun regulations have less gun related deaths.
maybe less gun related deaths, but the murder rates are at the national rate or higher.

(per 100k - 2016)
usa - 5.3
california - 4.8
maryland - 8.0
illinois - 8.0

its not related to guns, but more to social and economic factors. places with big cities, more income gaps and more low income see higher murder rates.

North Dakota has a 2.0 murder rate, and if youve ever been to ND, you know that there are guns everywhere.
Appreciate 1
bbbbmw1676.50

Today, 03:41 PM   #378
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'01 Dinan Z3 3.0

Garage List
Quote:
it's the mass murders though. It's far easier to kill multiple people with a gun as it is with a knife. Instead of looking outside off the US, just look at the states themselves. Those with stricter gun regulations have less gun related deaths.
That is true if talking about total gun deaths, but no when referring to homicides.

"While firearm homicides are a major cause for concern, suicide by firearm makes up almost two-thirds of all gun-related deaths in the U.S. In fact, the number of firearm homicides has been on a general decline since 1993, while firearm-related suicides have increased in recent years."

https://www.safehome.org/resources/gun-laws-and-deaths/

"In comparing our observations to a random model, we found that there was little to no difference in the results. We cannot conclude that states that regulate private gun sales have a higher, or lower, gun homicide rate."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b01ecaf1a3e838
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 1
bbbbmw1676.50

Today, 03:42 PM   #379
TheWatchGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
state of illinois is ranked top 10 in the strictest gun regulations. It may not be #1, your article points out cali, which is correct, but it is still significantly more stringent than many states. At least 40 other states...
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:43 PM   #380
Lups
Rep

Quote:
We two seem to have a failure to communicate going on here.

Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well, I believe in God -- and the only thing that scares me is Lups.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:56 PM   #381
TheWatchGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah. Those either aren't illegal in the UK.
from the UK Gun Guide. handguns are illegal except for a few exceptions. This is where I am taking my info from. If its wrong, let me know.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...l_2016_v20.pdf

Small firearms
2.41 The 1997 Act prohibited, for the purposes of section 5 of the 1968 Act, any firearm which
either has a barrel less than 30cm in length or is less than 60cm in length overall, other
than an air weapon, a muzzle-loading gun or a firearm designed as signalling apparatus.
The intention was to prohibit certain particularly dangerous firearms which were easy to
conceal. In general terms, this has meant the prohibition of handguns but it is important to
remember that the legislation does not refer explicitly to handguns; instead it refers to small
firearms. For exemptions to the requirement to obtain the Secretary of State’s authority to
possess prohibited firearms see Chapter 3.

Those weapons and ammunition, which are prohibited, consist of:
iii) any firearm which either has a barrel less than 30 centimetres in length or is less than
60 centimetres in length overall, other than an air weapon, a muzzle-loading gun or a
firearm designed as signalling apparatus (section 5(1)(aba));

v) any smooth-bore revolver gun other than one which is chambered for 9mm rimfire
cartridges or a muzzle-loading revolver gun (section 5(1)(ad));

3.6 Category (iii) affects the kind of small firearm that is easily concealed and yet confers high
firepower. For this reason, muzzle-loading weapons (including cap and ball revolvers) and
flare pistols are deliberately excluded. It should be remembered that the 1997 Act did not
ban pistols as such and was drafted in terms of small firearms. NB: category (iii) includes
‘specially dangerous' air pistols and ‘specially dangerous’ short air rifles (see paragraph 3.24).

3.10 Category (v) covers most smooth-bore revolver guns though an exception is made for the
so-called ‘ratting guns’ chambered for 9mm rimfire and for muzzle-loading revolver guns,
both of which are subject to control under section 1 of the Act. Section 57(2B) of the 1968
Act (as inserted by the 1988 Act) defines a smooth-bore revolver gun as one containing a
series of chambers, which revolve when the gun is fired. Examples of such guns are the
‘Dragon’ and the ‘Striker’.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:04 PM   #382
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
from the UK Gun Guide. handguns are illegal except for a few exceptions. This is where I am taking my info from. If its wrong, let me know.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...l_2016_v20.pdf

Small firearms
2.41 The 1997 Act prohibited, for the purposes of section 5 of the 1968 Act, any firearm which
either has a barrel less than 30cm in length or is less than 60cm in length overall, other
than an air weapon, a muzzle-loading gun or a firearm designed as signalling apparatus.
The intention was to prohibit certain particularly dangerous firearms which were easy to
conceal. In general terms, this has meant the prohibition of handguns but it is important to
remember that the legislation does not refer explicitly to handguns; instead it refers to small
firearms. For exemptions to the requirement to obtain the Secretary of State’s authority to
possess prohibited firearms see Chapter 3.

Those weapons and ammunition, which are prohibited, consist of:
iii) any firearm which either has a barrel less than 30 centimetres in length or is less than
60 centimetres in length overall, other than an air weapon, a muzzle-loading gun or a
firearm designed as signalling apparatus (section 5(1)(aba));

v) any smooth-bore revolver gun other than one which is chambered for 9mm rimfire
cartridges or a muzzle-loading revolver gun (section 5(1)(ad));

3.6 Category (iii) affects the kind of small firearm that is easily concealed and yet confers high
firepower. For this reason, muzzle-loading weapons (including cap and ball revolvers) and
flare pistols are deliberately excluded. It should be remembered that the 1997 Act did not
ban pistols as such and was drafted in terms of small firearms. NB: category (iii) includes
‘specially dangerous' air pistols and ‘specially dangerous’ short air rifles (see paragraph 3.24).

3.10 Category (v) covers most smooth-bore revolver guns though an exception is made for the
so-called ‘ratting guns’ chambered for 9mm rimfire and for muzzle-loading revolver guns,
both of which are subject to control under section 1 of the Act. Section 57(2B) of the 1968
Act (as inserted by the 1988 Act) defines a smooth-bore revolver gun as one containing a
series of chambers, which revolve when the gun is fired. Examples of such guns are the
‘Dragon’ and the ‘Striker’.
I think I'm translating your words too strictly. Illegal means in my books not allowed at all. For example a drug dealer pulled over with heroin or a cop carrying heroin, an officer carrying. You know, illegal no matter who does it. Their cops have hand guns, as have ours, and in some strict settings a member of public can also have a permit to own those. So that for means those are not illegal, they are restricted.

My bad. English is my fourth language and I seriously suck at it.

Last edited by Lups; Today at 04:07 PM. Reason: heavily edited thanks to bad englishm
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:51 PM   #383
david in germany
Major
Rep
Drives: 118i

I was just pondering.. I have a 1969 Ruger Blackhawk .357 magnum. This gun has never shot anyone. I think the majority of AR15s are from the 90s and 2000s. Could the mass shooting just be a problem with the new generation guns?

Now for the serious part of the post.. Parents do your damned job and start raising decent kids again...
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:53 PM   #384
Chappers 71
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SE

Garage List
There is actually quite a range of guns one can legally own in the UK;
GSG 1911
Taurus LBR
Mossberg 500
Punt guns
Accuracy International sniper rifle
Steyr HS 50cal
2.2 LR Uzi
M & P 15-22
H &K 416
H & K MP5 2.2LR
Remington Model 700
Ruger 10/22
Benelli M4
Any shotgun as long as it holds no more than three rounds including the one in the chamber if its a pump or semi automatic. There no such restriction for rifles.
Any semi automatic .22
E34 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc '67 resto-cal beetle

Last edited by Chappers 71; Today at 05:33 PM.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:21 PM   #385
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
I was just pondering.. I have a 1969 Ruger Blackhawk .357 magnum. This gun has never shot anyone. I think the majority of AR15s are from the 90s and 2000s. Could the mass shooting just be a problem with the new generation guns?

Now for the serious part of the post.. Parents do your damned job and start raising decent kids again...
This post says a lot. In a good way.

I have had in my possession illegal weapons. In Finland back then we just had to call the station where we'd hand them over, and the cops would take them and they wouldn't even ask my name (I cleaned up my great aunt's attic. The Russians would've been scared of the 60 year old guns for sure.)

Anyway, when I asked if I could have them if they were disabled or if I had a permit, they said yes.

I wrote a long post here a ton of pages back about what we did with our school shootings. I think it went without any notice that we still have guns here and that mass killing suicides can happen here too any day, but we really put more effort towards our kids.

Above someone commented that a kid takes it badly when he is called smelly by his coach and an other poster said the kid is just narcissistic and weak. My view is that you can teach a kid to be tough without isolating him or her and you only bring trouble in your way by making yourself big while putting someone else down.

I never talk about my girl here. It's not because I love her less than my boys, its because I'm even more protective of her.

Anyway.

She went to the beach with her friends this evening. This being Finland, that's okay for 11 year olds.

After her set time to come home had passed, I went after her. I got to the beach and she was standing up to some skinheads for her classmate all alone. The good mother I am (lol), I took those bullies for a walk where they told me they will use me for target practice.

I'm very proud of my child for standing up to those men who were trying to bully a kid for his skin color. I'm very glad she was wise enough not to call me mom and went home when I took those fuckers on.

Most of all, I'm really fucking glad I have had her to love all these years.

It takes little to no courage for me to take on three grown men while a Gs trained to take down people is next to me. But a kid talking back to an adult when he or she sees someone is being bullied by an adult, especially if the adult has authority over the kid is something to be very proud of.

Anyone who thinks we are not raising kids right needs to take a stand . When a kid does something right, say it. When a kid does something wrong, say that too. If you don't, you are a part of the problem.

The courage my kid has is not from me alone. She is a product of a new culture where us adults can be wrong too.

Last edited by Lups; Today at 05:39 PM.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:57 PM   #386
Chihuahua
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
Won't happen. Takes too much effort, self-control, and selflessness. We are in the age of the feral human.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:03 PM   #387
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Won't happen. Takes too much effort, self-control, and selflessness. We are in the age of the feral human.
I don't have shitty kids, but I imagine it's easier to raise them with some effort than to live with the aftermath.

Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:18 PM   #388
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
I don't have shitty kids, but I imagine it's easier to raise them with some effort than to live with the aftermath.
You've provided proof that they don't think the same in the opposite gernerational direction
Appreciate 0