BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > First time having a cracked windshield

05-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Long Beach Blue M2

First time having a cracked windshield

I signed up for a 1 day M school in Greer that I went to last week and decided to make it a road trip out there in my M2. Somewhere on the first day or two I remember hearing something hit over by the right A pillar but never saw a crack so I didn't think much of it.

Unfortunately, I picked up a nail in a rear tire that I discovered at my dad's place in Charlotte late Saturday afternoon. I had to rent a car to drive to Greer from there while my dad called the Charlotte BMW dealer to get the last two rear tires they had and he got BMW roadside to flatbed it out there. On the plus side, I got the tire hazard coverage this time around. The rear tire wear was at the point where I was likely to get them replaced soon after I got back. So at least one tire only cost $50 for the deductible.

I picked it up on a pretty rainy evening and didn't notice anything, but the next morning as we were getting ready to leave my wife noticed a 6" crack on the passenger side of the windshield. I was about to start calling the tow service and the dealership when I remembered hearing the hit I mentioned earlier. I guess maybe the process of loading or unloading it on the flatbed might have put enough torque on the A pillar to get the crack started from that impact site. As it is the crack grew about a foot on the trip from Charlotte to Birmingham (about 4" of that happened while it was just sitting in the parking lot of the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum). I got a rain-x windshield repair kit hoping I could at least seal up the crack enough to stop it from growing. That did seem to do the job.

It was still worth the road trip, but now I have to get the windshield replaced. I'm inclined to get it done by the dealership (I guess it would maybe be their body shop). I've seen others say that Safelite actually worked well for them. Aside from giving them the VIN to make sure whoever I go with gets the right glass, any recommendations on things to test after I get the job done (to verify the install was done right and didn't break anything)? Also, any thoughts on other national repair shops or ones in the north DFW area? Others have mentioned in other posts asking my dealer who they use so I'll do that as well.

After driving for over 30 years and doing my fair share of road trips, I'm actually amazed this is the first time I've gotten a broken windshield. I can't be too annoyed.
Appreciate 2
ried791.50
      05-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
SC roads suck. I had to replace the windshield in my M235. Went through a local glass company, insurance paid and it matched the OEM one completely without being an actual OEM windshield.

How'd you enjoy the school? Their track is awesome. I'm lucky that I'm only an hour from there.

(SOLD) 2018 M2 BSM LCI, DCT, Executive, Drivers Assist, CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

First cracked windshield in 30 years?
You lucky bastard... I can't even remember how many windshields I've replaced; always get the glass insurance. Had a Dakota pickup in the 90s that went thru 7 of them.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
If you go through insurance, make sure they give you OEM glass. It is very easy to tell because it says BMW on the bottom left of the glass.
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      05-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
First cracked windshield in 30 years?
You lucky bastard... I can't even remember how many windshields I've replaced; always get the glass insurance. Had a Dakota pickup in the 90s that went thru 7 of them.
That was a design issue on those Dodges I believe the chassis was flexing and causing the windshields to crack. I had a friend that replaced 3 on his.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 03:50 AM   #6
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Check your insurance policy and your carrier. If you don't have "full glass" coverage you will have to pay the difference between your deductible and what the installation costs.

I would insist on BMW glass installation at your dealer. I am currently going through this exact process with my new M2 which has a foot long crack in the windshield, also on the passenger side. In my case I have Safeco insurance with full glass coverage. I had to go through this exact same process 2 years ago with my 135is convertible, bought slightly used, and with a windshield also broken almost immediately after purchase. My carrier uses Safelite as their sub-contractor for glass repairs and payments.

They try like all get-out to convince you to use their cheap glass and their installers, but if you keep refusing and keep insisting on having the work done at a BMW dealer, they ultimately relent. Then the process is to get the repair done at the dealer, to pay for it, then to send them a scan or a fax of the bill from the dealer, and they mail you a check (in my case has been for the full amount) about a week later. Out of pocket cost in my case was $0 for the 135is 2 years ago, and from what they have told me it will be the same on the M2 when I have the replacement done in a week and a half, when back home from my current overseas trip.

You do need to contact your insurance company and have them open a file on your car before you get the work done, if you expect to get reimbursed for at least part of your cost.
      05-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #7
nomade30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2, 91 325, 05 DMAX

On the Facebook group there’s a few people reporting having constant issues with OE glass and aftermarket glass has fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #8
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomade30 View Post
On the Facebook group there’s a few people reporting having constant issues with OE glass and aftermarket glass has fixed it.
Well then we should all go Safelite glass.

NOT
      05-05-2018, 08:36 PM   #9
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Sounds like the perfect time for a CF roof install!!
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Sounds like the perfect time for a CF roof install!!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 08:51 PM   #11
GVN*2FLY
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘16 GT4|‘22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
I signed up for a 1 day M school in Greer that I went to last week and decided to make it a road trip out there in my M2. Somewhere on the first day or two I remember hearing something hit over by the right A pillar but never saw a crack so I didn't think much of it.

Unfortunately, I picked up a nail in a rear tire that I discovered at my dad's place in Charlotte late Saturday afternoon. I had to rent a car to drive to Greer from there while my dad called the Charlotte BMW dealer to get the last two rear tires they had and he got BMW roadside to flatbed it out there. On the plus side, I got the tire hazard coverage this time around. The rear tire wear was at the point where I was likely to get them replaced soon after I got back. So at least one tire only cost $50 for the deductible.

I picked it up on a pretty rainy evening and didn't notice anything, but the next morning as we were getting ready to leave my wife noticed a 6" crack on the passenger side of the windshield. I was about to start calling the tow service and the dealership when I remembered hearing the hit I mentioned earlier. I guess maybe the process of loading or unloading it on the flatbed might have put enough torque on the A pillar to get the crack started from that impact site. As it is the crack grew about a foot on the trip from Charlotte to Birmingham (about 4" of that happened while it was just sitting in the parking lot of the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum). I got a rain-x windshield repair kit hoping I could at least seal up the crack enough to stop it from growing. That did seem to do the job.

It was still worth the road trip, but now I have to get the windshield replaced. I'm inclined to get it done by the dealership (I guess it would maybe be their body shop). I've seen others say that Safelite actually worked well for them. Aside from giving them the VIN to make sure whoever I go with gets the right glass, any recommendations on things to test after I get the job done (to verify the install was done right and didn't break anything)? Also, any thoughts on other national repair shops or ones in the north DFW area? Others have mentioned in other posts asking my dealer who they use so I'll do that as well.

After driving for over 30 years and doing my fair share of road trips, I'm actually amazed this is the first time I've gotten a broken windshield. I can't be too annoyed.
My experience with Satellite about a year ago in the below post. Couple thousand miles and several track days since without issues whatsoever. The installer must be experienced.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...83&postcount=7
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 04:02 AM   #12
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVN*2FLY View Post
My experience with Satellite about a year ago in the below post. Couple thousand miles and several track days since without issues whatsoever. The installer must be experienced.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...83&postcount=7
Windshield glass is an unknown thing other than going OEM. I'm sure that there is variability in the quality of the glass and the electronics and other things in windshields now, depending upon supplier, location, and installer expertise. In a lower quality vehicle I would have little concern about going with Safelite; I did so with Subarus that I have owned in the past. I would be personally reluctant to have Safelite replace my M2 windshield.

Of course, we are talking one-off experiences and can't really predict what any given person will experience with their replacement.

Here's another thread detailing what *might* be the sort of problems you or a future owner might have, with a replaced windshield:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1491217
      05-06-2018, 10:17 PM   #13
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTP 410 View Post
How'd you enjoy the school? Their track is awesome. I'm lucky that I'm only an hour from there.
I really enjoyed the school. It was really wet, though, which made things interesting. I think I got the hang of most everything they were teaching, but recovering from a skid on the skid pad took a bit of getting used to when driving in a circle like that. I’ve never driving that aggressively in conditions that wet so I chalk it up as a positive that it had rained. Good to know the limits.

Thank you everyone on the advice. Sounds like I will stick with the original plan of going to the dealer. Probably the safest play. (Unfortunately I do not have glass coverage, though, so it will be out of pocket).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 02:03 AM   #14
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I really enjoyed the school. It was really wet, though, which made things interesting. I think I got the hang of most everything they were teaching, but recovering from a skid on the skid pad took a bit of getting used to when driving in a circle like that. I’ve never driving that aggressively in conditions that wet so I chalk it up as a positive that it had rained. Good to know the limits.

Thank you everyone on the advice. Sounds like I will stick with the original plan of going to the dealer. Probably the safest play. (Unfortunately I do not have glass coverage, though, so it will be out of pocket).
You probably do have glass coverage, however it is under your comprehensive insurance limits. Most likely your deductible is $500, unless you opted for a higher deductible. Check into it, since if you do have the dealer do this job, you can expect a bill in the neighborhood of $1200+.
      05-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #15
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

I've had decent experience with Safelite, but a couple of times even though I told them I expected factory glass, they showed up with something else (OEM glass). They ended up rescheduling and got the right glass and I was fine. The cynic in me says they bring the non-factory hoping the customer says screw it and get the repair done with the other glass.

These cars aren't old enough to really have sandblasted windshields, but you'll still notice how much nicer a brand new windshield looks. When I had it replaced on my E46 the difference was huge.

Finally, if you're in Florida....zero cost windshield service is mandatory for all policies which is nice. I suspect with no car inspection down here, people would drive out with some truly bad windshields. I also keep an eye on cars WITH a broken windshield thinking they may not have insurance.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 01:51 PM   #16
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Get your windshield protected by PPF.
It does prevent most of the damage unless you have life-threatening huge rock or object hitting the windshield.

Small rocks and stones that will give crack and chipping can be prevented with PPF + you can prolong the life of the windshield that could wear over general usage as well (simply change the film once in 5 years or something)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #17
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

I finally did have my M2's windshield replaced at the dealer earlier this week, obviously with BMW glass. It took a couple of hours. I had it done in the same visit as the 1200 mile inspection/fluid change.

Total cost was $1016.xx, which is less than their estimate was by more than $100. I will be getting 100% reimbursement from my insurance company by check.

Other than for convenience and cost reasons, I can't see any reason to have this done by anyone other than the dealer. Some of the aftermarket glass companies will come out to your location and replace the glass there, which would obviously save time. I got a loaner car from the dealer so it wasn't really very much of an inconvenience, plus I had the 1200 mile service done at the same time, so that would have been necessary even without the windshield replacement.
      05-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #18
arquitecto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MG 6MT, '03 E39

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2003 BMW 530i  [0.00]
I feel your pain... I am now on visit number three to safelite still waiting for them to order the Oem glass. First two visits they had aftermarket despite having told me they had ordered oem.

I spoke to one of the installers who was a car guy and loved the M2. He was extremely helpful and says he would not recommend anything besides OEM for this car, he let me in on a tip, right now ‘16 ‘17 and ‘18 cars are the years most likely to be approved for oem replacement through insurance. Same year cars are usually guaranteed to be approved. You can always submit a request but older models are less likely to be approved. So if I were any of us keep pushing for OEM since we have the highest odds of getting it.

Quote to do it through the dealer without insurance is in the $1,500 range. Here in Florida it is $0 through insurance as mentioned above.
      05-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #19
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep

I had the windshield replaced on my 2004 M3 about 3 years back. They replaced it with factory glass (that's what was on the car). I insisted and they did it without too much hassle. It would think it matters what insurance company you have, not who does the work. I have Allstate.

Maybe it's automatic on a car for the first couple of years, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen on a much older car.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #20
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I did call my insurance company and have gotten things set up to get this taken care of. My insurance redirected me to Safelight to manage the claim, but the representative said I could get the glass repaired at any place. They even went so far as to explain that they could not handle recalibration of the forward facing camera, so if I did have it repaired by Safelight, I would still need to go to BMW to have that taken care of. Given that I said I would just have the dealership do it and they forward the claim on to them.

I got a call from the collision center for my dealership and he outlined the cost for me. One thing that was interesting is that he explained that they would need to replace the rain sensor as part of the windshield replacement. I didn't quite expect that. So even though the glass itself is just over $400, the rain sensor adds $247. Add in ~$450 in labor and assorted materials and it bumps it up to the price range most people mentioned here. I have a $50 deductible on the insurance, though, so at the end of the day that shouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately they also said they have to keep the car overnight to let the adhesive cure so I'll have to rent something for a day.

A little bit more involved than I expected. Two things that did surprise me a little are that he said the replacements don't have the same warranty as the vehicle, but that having the repair done by an certified repair center does bump the parts from 1 year to 2 years. So I guess I lose a half year on the rain sensor if anything happens to that. He also said the rain sensor not being properly calibrated affects the DSC since it's used to detect "wet" conditions. I had never thought about the rain sensor being linked into that.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 08:03 AM   #21
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep

That’s also interesting. Any windshield on a rain sensor car I’ve had replaced, has had the sensor already mounted to the windshield out of the factory. I’ve had this one on a bmw and a Mercedes. Maybe it’s different on our cars? Curious.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #22
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
I did call my insurance company and have gotten things set up to get this taken care of. My insurance redirected me to Safelight to manage the claim, but the representative said I could get the glass repaired at any place. They even went so far as to explain that they could not handle recalibration of the forward facing camera, so if I did have it repaired by Safelight, I would still need to go to BMW to have that taken care of. Given that I said I would just have the dealership do it and they forward the claim on to them.

I got a call from the collision center for my dealership and he outlined the cost for me. One thing that was interesting is that he explained that they would need to replace the rain sensor as part of the windshield replacement. I didn't quite expect that. So even though the glass itself is just over $400, the rain sensor adds $247. Add in ~$450 in labor and assorted materials and it bumps it up to the price range most people mentioned here. I have a $50 deductible on the insurance, though, so at the end of the day that shouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately they also said they have to keep the car overnight to let the adhesive cure so I'll have to rent something for a day.

A little bit more involved than I expected. Two things that did surprise me a little are that he said the replacements don't have the same warranty as the vehicle, but that having the repair done by an certified repair center does bump the parts from 1 year to 2 years. So I guess I lose a half year on the rain sensor if anything happens to that. He also said the rain sensor not being properly calibrated affects the DSC since it's used to detect "wet" conditions. I had never thought about the rain sensor being linked into that.
I am pretty sure the DSC doesn't have anything to do with the rain sensor. I have never heard this and would be surprised if it were the case, since it is obviously possible for the road to be wet without it raining.
Appreciate 0