BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BMW n55 new pure turbos (pure 500 and pure 750)

12-30-2023, 07:58 AM   #199
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianM2 View Post
I don’t think it’s unreasonable at all. He’s doing a wide range of fuels including 93 and e blends. It’s going to show exactly what the turbo is capable of in the ideal scenario.. but not everyone lives in the ideal scenario.
If anything, it would increase sales to show what their product can do on all fuels.

My other current platform (MK7R) most of the large tuning companies list full dyno graphs with 91 - 104octane directly on their sites for tunes and turbo upgrades. I guess it’s unreasonable for bmw tuning companies to do the same.

If I did the turbo and it made low 400’s that would be a win in my book and I’d be happy with my purchase as long as the turbos themselves are reliable.
I agree with this 100%. It's kind of a joke that none of the other guys do this. I'm in a similar boat, I have limited e85 access, and even if I did I can't be bothered to mix my fuel. I don't want to mess with meth/water injection for my own reasons, so I'm stuck with pump gas. Thankfully I have access to 93oct where I live.

It would be a great tool for these guys to have power graphs with overlays of the range of Fuels 95% of their customers have access to. One graph with overlays of 91, 93, e30, e50, etc. Obviously you're not going to hit all fuel options and meth combinations what have you, but at least put something out there to bookend the possible performance range on different Fuels. Hell, even have seperate overlay graphs for hp and torque, so it doesn't get too confusing to look at. It's not like you need to see those figures on the same graph anyway.

When I was searching for my turbo, I was struggling to find results on 93 because mostly the only people going to dynos and posting results just want to show a high number, so they're almost always an e-blend with meth injection. I gotta think the majority of users can't be bothered with that stuff. Thankfully in the end I found somebody with 95% of my planned mods who actually posted dyno results on 93 which I believe should validate what I'm hoping to get once I finally get my kit installed.
Appreciate 2
      12-31-2023, 06:50 AM   #200
CalvinNismo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Coupé

How much are you expecting/hoping to make wheela?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 10:47 AM   #201
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinNismo View Post
How much are you expecting/hoping to make wheela?
Hey Calvin, this guy made 500whp on 93 and a Dorch stage 2 hpfp, so I think I should be in the same ballpark. He's rwd though and I'm x-drive, so not sure if I'd have more drivetrain losses. Also he's got the internally gated version, and my external gated version has slightly larger turbine a/r, so that should improve my exhaust flow with a small trade off in spool. Probably a good tradeoff though since the external gate will stay shut below spring pressure.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1723999
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2023, 06:51 PM   #202
CanadianM2
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Well that’s that I guess.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-01-2024, 05:00 PM   #203
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

guess yall n55+ f55 guys need to crowdfund to pay another person to dyno their car with the fuels you use…
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 09:35 AM   #204
carn_dogg
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

I know this is the wrong forum for this, BUT I recently pulled the trigger on the pure500 turbo with install kit for my e70 x5. There isn't much talk elsewhere on the pure500 kit so I figured this would be as good a place as any to post info/results.

Car is nothing special right now, just VRSF CP with JB4. Stock FMIC. Stock DP and Stock intake. This will be a decent baseline for stock power vs pure500 installed with piggyback jb4. EST ship date is 3/1 from Pure...

Planning to do regular maintenance along with pure500 install
- waterpump and t stat
- belt and tensioner kit
- 1 step colder plugs
- new coilpacks
- new crankcase vent hose cause i know that will snap
- pure500

Chassis has 131k miles and n55 has 71k... replaced under warranty by BMW. tcase has 60k miles.

edit: forgot to mention. I spoke to Pure about expectations for the pure500 kit. I plan to run 93 pump with jb4 on map 5...stock IC and DP... and they're guesstimating 450whp. Seems high to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 12:18 PM   #205
CanadianM2
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2

I’m intrigued for your results
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 02:03 PM   #206
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carn_dogg View Post
I know this is the wrong forum for this, BUT I recently pulled the trigger on the pure500 turbo with install kit for my e70 x5. There isn't much talk elsewhere on the pure500 kit so I figured this would be as good a place as any to post info/results.

Car is nothing special right now, just VRSF CP with JB4. Stock FMIC. Stock DP and Stock intake. This will be a decent baseline for stock power vs pure500 installed with piggyback jb4. EST ship date is 3/1 from Pure...

- waterpump and t stat
- belt and tensioner kit
- 1 step colder plugs
- new coilpacks
- pure500

Chassis has 131k miles and n55 has 71k... replaced under warranty by BMW. tcase has 60k miles.

edit: forgot to mention. I spoke to Pure about expectations for the pure500 kit. I plan to run 93 pump with jb4 on map 5...stock IC and DP... and they're guesstimating 450whp. Seems high to me.
On a PWG turbo? With a stock downpipe? Pump gas?
450HP maybe - but not WHP. Expect that to be at 370whp at most.
      01-31-2024, 12:12 PM   #207
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

- waterpump and t stat
- belt and tensioner kit
- 1 step colder plugs
- new coilpacks
- pure500

I went and did a search on PS1 dynos (I believe that the P500 is slightly larger) and you'll make some decent gains over a PWG Turbo, but with a piggy back instead of a flash, stock fuel pump, pump gas and a stock downpipe - I'd be surprised if you're equal to a FBO EWG turbo car. I can't see it doing much more than that, especially on a JB4.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 01-31-2024 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 07:31 PM   #208
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

- waterpump and t stat
- belt and tensioner kit
- 1 step colder plugs
- new coilpacks
- pure500

Thanks for posting, definately interested in how it turns out! Are you planning on dynoing?

I agree with others, this should be a great bump over stock, but on 93 Oct I think it will be sub 400 whp.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 11:52 AM   #209
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

why jb4 and stock dp? custom tune and dp aint that much $$. seems like you’re leaving power untapped
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 08:01 AM   #210
carn_dogg
Rep

I agree that their estimate seems very high. I don’t expect that at all. Just wanted to share their numbers.

I’m not sure if I’ll dyno. TTFS is down the road from me, so I could do that if I find the time.

I just installed the Magnuson 2650 on my tundra a few weeks ago and trying not to make all my cars too far from stock. My kids are usually in the x5 so trying to go modest while still keeping reliability and being able to run stock map for when my wife drives it.

I would think, if done right, it could spit out 400whp and maybe 450wtq with the right conditions on 93 and cool air. Stock hpfp on the older n55’s have a higher flow rate and can keep up a little better than 14+.

Retaining stock dp for emissions reasons. Don’t want to swap it out every two years and don’t want to have any exhaust odor inside the car. I know it’s minimal but again, I’m not the only driver of the car and my kids are in there a lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 09:09 AM   #211
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I agree that their estimate seems very high. I don’t expect that at all. Just wanted to share their numbers.

I’m not sure if I’ll dyno. TTFS is down the road from me, so I could do that if I find the time.

I just installed the Magnuson 2650 on my tundra a few weeks ago and trying not to make all my cars too far from stock. My kids are usually in the x5 so trying to go modest while still keeping reliability and being able to run stock map for when my wife drives it.

I would think, if done right, it could spit out 400whp and maybe 450wtq with the right conditions on 93 and cool air. Stock hpfp on the older n55’s have a higher flow rate and can keep up a little better than 14+.

Retaining stock dp for emissions reasons. Don’t want to swap it out every two years and don’t want to have any exhaust odor inside the car. I know it’s minimal but again, I’m not the only driver of the car and my kids are in there a lot.
You can go with a Catted downpipe like AA which will allow you to pass without a tune. But hitting 400whp (93oct) is tough on a N55 (with the stock turbo)

I've actually seen one guy do it, (based on SAE correction factor) and it was all the bolt-ons - including a downpipe, intake, inlet, HPFP and a custom tune.

Oh, you'll want an inlet with your turbo - do not use the stock one.
      02-02-2024, 09:12 AM   #212
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
If you get a good sport cat, you don’t need to replace it every two years and there is no CEL or smell. My active autowerke GESI cat has been great. Adds some good sound too. No drone, not too anti-social just a little more throaty.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 11:08 AM   #213
carn_dogg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
You can go with a Catted downpipe like AA which will allow you to pass without a tune. But hitting 400whp (93oct) is tough on a N55 (with the stock turbo)

I've actually seen one guy do it, (based on SAE correction factor) and it was all the bolt-ons - including a downpipe, intake, inlet, HPFP and a custom tune.

Oh, you'll want an inlet with your turbo - do not use the stock one.
Is the power statement regrading stock turbo still true with the pure500 upgrade though?

I’m not sure I would see real number differences in driving around town regarding FMIC upgrade. I won’t be doing back to back pulls. Just looking for a bit for DD power. 350-400whp makes for a fun and quick DD. Very nice drivability.

I would only spend the money on 200-300 cell cat should my stock one fail. Power gains aren’t worth the money imo, for me.

Noted regarding the turbo inlet. I think ER makes one for my chassis that is reasonably priced.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 11:50 AM   #214
NEWTRON
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Quote:
Is the power statement regrading stock turbo still true with the pure500 upgrade though?

I’m not sure I would see real number differences in driving around town regarding FMIC upgrade. I won’t be doing back to back pulls. Just looking for a bit for DD power. 350-400whp makes for a fun and quick DD. Very nice drivability.

I would only spend the money on 200-300 cell cat should my stock one fail. Power gains aren’t worth the money imo, for me.

Noted regarding the turbo inlet. I think ER makes one for my chassis that is reasonably priced.
Yes, It will make a difference. The stock FMIC can barely keep up on a stock car. Its not about back to back pulls. Its about dropping the temps when needed. Driving around town My IATs sit around 85-100 depending on the ambient temp. The stock FMIC Kept the temps the same at best but almost always the IAT would go up. With a upgraded FMIC my IATs drop to about 10 degrees above ambient. So if its 65 outside and my IATS are at 95 cruising. With the upgrade they drop to about 75 with the stock FMIC they would rise pulling timing/power.
VRSF RACE IC, FTP CP, VRSF CATLESS DP, BORLA ATAK CATBACK, CTS TURBO INTAKE, MST V2 INLET, PURE STAGE 2, TURBOSMART BOV,FTP TURBO OUTLET, SPOOL FX180, BM3 ETHANOL ANALYZER, PRECISION RACEWORKS COILS, BM3 STAGE 2+ E30
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2316.50
      02-02-2024, 12:12 PM   #215
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTRON View Post
Yes, It will make a difference. The stock FMIC can barely keep up on a stock car. Its not about back to back pulls. Its about dropping the temps when needed. Driving around town My IATs sit around 85-100 depending on the ambient temp. The stock FMIC Kept the temps the same at best but almost always the IAT would go up. With a upgraded FMIC my IATs drop to about 10 degrees above ambient. So if its 65 outside and my IATS are at 95 cruising. With the upgrade they drop to about 75 with the stock FMIC they would rise pulling timing/power.
What he said above. I get not wanting to spend the money, but I can't imagine the results are going to be..."great" without doing the extra work. on 93oct and a stock intercooler, inlet and EWG size turbo - 350whp at 5700RPM seems pretty realistic. It's 40 more than you would get on a Stage 1 tune with the PWG turbo, but there is a lot of potential let on the table.
      02-02-2024, 12:18 PM   #216
carn_dogg
Rep

I’ll have to see how intake temps look once I have it installed. I know the stock e70 FMIC is quite a bit larger than other n55 chassis so you can push more out of it with decent temps (again I know this isn’t the e70 forum) but you can’t argue the fact that an upgraded FMIC would be better. I just think for my application I may be OK staying with stock and monitoring. Upgrade as necessary.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 12:20 PM   #217
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I’ll have to see how intake temps look once I have it installed. I know the stock e70 FMIC is quite a bit larger than other n55 chassis so you can push more out of it with decent temps (again I know this isn’t the e70 forum) but you can’t argue the fact that an upgraded FMIC would be better. I just think for my application I may be OK staying with stock and monitoring. Upgrade as necessary.
Well, we wish the best and are eagerly waiting for results. Just for giggles - do you have a log for us to review already?
      02-02-2024, 12:30 PM   #218
carn_dogg
Rep

Thanks! The jb4 alone is a nice upgrade from stock. Map1 is nice. Map5 goes up to 16 or so psi and pulls much harder than map1.

I don’t have any logs right now but can grab some in a couple weeks once I’m back in town
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 02:31 AM   #219
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Asking because I haven't seen anyone (aside from tuning shops) say it..

Does anyone have the 750 sorted out and enjoy it? Don't really care about dyno numbers as much as just a solid review on driving characteristics, perceived performance, issues with install, etc.

Leaning towards PS2 at the moment since it seems more proven.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 07:27 AM   #220
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
You'll find more here near the end: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2010464
Appreciate 0