BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs M3

02-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #45
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

None of this was a surprise though surely? I agree with you on the DCT from my M4 experience and ownership R to D seemed slow...when on the move though WOW what a gear change!
      02-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #46
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Thanks for al replies, I had an extensive drive today again and tested all modes thoroughly. So D1-2-3 and S1-2-3

As I see it;

The D1 mode is particularity slow when coming fast in, heard breaking, it has troubles to downshift fast, it will slow down but holds the highest gear too long, once you want to accelerate again it must find the lower gear for, this takes the most time.

When I compare this base line mode to base line mode PDK Cayman GTS, the PDK does make a better job, not by a small margin I can tell you. The way the GTS shifts back while at speed and breaking hard, through al gears is unbeatable.Is in the right gear when you will accelerate again !

Now this is of course matter of software mapping and set up. It does not mean the DCT is bad, no not at all, the set up is different from the Porsche at base line, it can IMHO be declared that the Porsche is a real spots car, the M4 a comfortabel GT car.

Going to highest gearing set up S3.
While hard driving it is quick, but not as crisp as the PDK, but it`ll do I fine job and suits the car.

I must say again, the M4 is a brilliant driving platform, beautiful road compliance, great brakes (steel ones), steering is not bad at all but of course you can feel size and weight of the car. It is a stunning GT car, but for real sportiness the PDK does IMHO a better job, more crispiness, more feeling and also more intuitive.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #47
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris10Bimmers View Post
None of this was a surprise though surely? I agree with you on the DCT from my M4 experience and ownership R to D seemed slow...when on the move though WOW what a gear change!

I agree !!

Driving slow the DCT is slow, when the fly things become much better !
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #48
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

I also find the paddles have little clearing room tho the steering wheel, again this compared to the Cayman GTS.

But the leather steering wheel itself is a real delight to the far too thin and artificial alcantara GTS wheel.

The way this wheel fits my hands is indescribable good.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #49
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Thanks for al replies, I had an extensive drive today again and tested all modes thoroughly. So D1-2-3 and S1-2-3

As I see it;

The D1 mode is particularity slow when coming fast in, heard breaking, it has troubles to downshift fast, it will slow down but holds the highest gear too long, once you want to accelerate again it must find the lower gear for, this takes the most time.

When I compare this base line mode to base line mode PDK Cayman GTS, the PDK does make a better job, not by a small margin I can tell you. The way the GTS shifts back while at speed and breaking hard, through al gears is unbeatable.Is in the right gear when you will accelerate again !

Now this is of course matter of software mapping and set up. It does not mean the DCT is bad, no not at all, the set up is different from the Porsche at base line, it can IMHO be declared that the Porsche is a real spots car, the M4 a comfortabel GT car.

Going to highest gearing set up S3.
While hard driving it is quick, but not as crisp as the PDK, but it`ll do I fine job and suits the car.

I must say again, the M4 is a brilliant driving platform, beautiful road compliance, great brakes (steel ones), steering is not bad at all but of course you can feel size and weight of the car. It is a stunning GT car, but for real sportiness the PDK does IMHO a better job, more crispiness, more feeling and also more intuitive.
Oh... you mean in "auto" mode!!! Yeah, never drive in auto, only manual. Auto mode is largely software driven and I can't comment on the PDK in auto mode.

In manual mode, the PDK and the DCT are similar but I found the DCT to be more responsive and more "manual" like. For example, the 911 GTS would shift for you at redline even in manual mode... that's dumb because I'm in manual mode for a reason!! Also, there was more of a delay from pulling the paddle in the 911 GTS than the M4 in my experience. YMMV.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #50
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

The transmissions may behave differently in auto because of the engines. I think a computer would have to be a bit conservative with so much torque compared to the Porsche. If it gets it wrong, you can end up in a guard rail trying to power out of a turn in the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #51
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
Thanks for the review Romo. I am queasy about getting an M3 and wasting money only to be pissed off in the end. Sounds like the M4 drove a little like a tank? Something that drives like a tank is 100% what I don't want. Seems like the smaller M2 is for me.
Go test drive the M3. His review is probably the most negative review I've read in the entire time the car has been on the road. Definitely take what he says with a grain (or boulder) of salt.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #52
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Get the 6MT. Problem solved.
      02-06-2016, 06:09 PM   #53
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
Go test drive the M3. His review is probably the most negative review I've read in the entire time the car has been on the road. Definitely take what he says with a grain (or boulder) of salt.
He likes his Cayman... that's fair enough... people sometimes tend to fall in love with a car's characteristics (whether they are truly better or not) and other cars suddenly then don't appeal. My personal view is that to really appreciate the Cayman GTS, you need to be on a track. I think the character of the M cars is better for the street (and still very good at the track ) but that's just me... YMMV.

He drank a gallon of Cayman Koolaid and nothing else will now compare
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 12:02 PM   #54
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
I`m not negative;

Quote:

I only would order it with 6 MT.

Than again, that`s what I did with the M2
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #55
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
He likes his Cayman... that's fair enough... people sometimes tend to fall in love with a car's characteristics (whether they are truly better or not) and other cars suddenly then don't appeal. My personal view is that to really appreciate the Cayman GTS, you need to be on a track. I think the character of the M cars is better for the street (and still very good at the track ) but that's just me... YMMV.

He drank a gallon of Cayman Koolaid and nothing else will now compare

I loved the Cayman, but not the steering wheel an steering characteristics. Also sport seats plus are not my favorite, otherwise a great, great car.

I do agree on tour analysis though, that is the main difference between Porsche and BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #56
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

F80 is a little heavier but a lot more powerful. If money is not a factor and you pick M2, there might be something wrong with you.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #57
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
My personal view is that to really appreciate the Cayman GTS, you need to be on a track.
This may be a bit off topic, but I see in your signature that you've owned a corvette. How would you compare the BMW's to your corvette after some seat time?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 12:32 PM   #58
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
F80 is a little heavier but a lot more powerful. If money is not a factor and you pick M2, there might be something wrong with you.
You do not understand what a smaller wheelbase will do in driving fun.

The M2 will feel far more agile, that is what it`s all about IMHO.

The M2 will be more playful then the M3/4

How do I know?? Well I turned the e92 M3 in for a E82 1M, yes less power, minus 80HP. But the 1M is/was unbeatable in driving pleasure !! Far, far more better!!!

The difference in HP between M3/4 vs a M2 is even smaller (minus 60HP) so a lot more powerfull is very questionable.

It is not sheer HP numbers for a car what I`m looking for, I tell you this; the smallest Bimmers are the nicest to drive! Trust me, I can tell
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #59
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
hmm, there are some M3/M4 guys on here selling their cars for an M2..

M4 is a boat, very large. M2 will be more tossible and probably more enjoyable to drive for many including myself. I am looking for a more nimble car and when sitting in an M4 I did not get that feeling.

Last edited by chmura; 02-08-2016 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2016, 12:36 PM   #60
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BSM M2

Quote:
This is the most negative review, but im not suprised, this guy seems to be a joke when it comes to knowledge or taste of cars.

I quote his initial impression "Its crap".

(dislike his vid pls LEL )

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #61
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I'm OK.
      02-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #62
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
You have some valid points (weight, power), but considering the M2 has not even been reviewed by practically anyone, your opinion is somewhat presumptuous.

I really like the F80/82, but the M4 itself is a huge car. Let's wait to see what owners and the media have to say first! You may be right in the end, but let's give it a chance...

Last edited by csbear; 02-08-2016 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #63
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I'm OK.
Me too. Power alone is overrated.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #64
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
hmm, there are some M3/M4 guys on here selling their cars for an M2..

M4 is a boat, very large. M2 will be more tossible and probably more enjoyable to drive for many including myself. I am looking for a more nimble car and when sitting in an M4 I did not get that feeling.
Guessing probably mostly due to financial reasons.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #65
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Me too. Power alone is overrated.
I agree, but not when you add in stuff like making more power reliably and easily, better interior, carbon roof, better looks, more practicality etc.

Anyone arguing that they would take a M2 over a M3/M4 at the same price is stupid.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #66
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
I agree, but not when you add in stuff like making more power reliably and easily, better interior, carbon roof, better looks, more practicality etc.

Anyone arguing that they would take a M2 over a M3/M4 at the same price is stupid.
You really do not understand, now that is a pity, you can`t help your self.

Read again, think, and let it all come down.......it least give it a try.

Last edited by Romo; 02-08-2016 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0