BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW M2 dealer car order options revealed [updated with even more options details]

07-29-2015, 11:32 PM   #287
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Didn't Scott say a while ago that there were going to be new wheels made for the M2? What happened to that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
He did mention that a while ago - IIRC it was in the context of the private showing at one of the bigger EU car shows earlier this year - just can't recall which one.
Things can certainly change...there's certainly a precedent for using the M3(4) wheel of the time, since that's what they did with the 1M, albeit from the ZHP package.
I had originally wondered if that meant that the F8X ZHP wheel would "debut" on the M2 - just reverse order this time...
Here you go.

January 2014:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Back to the M2. Based on initial sketches.
You will know an M2 as it will be very different from an M235i in its stance and muscular bodywork.
The appearance leads on from the M235i Race car , typical facia with upturned central intake , aerodynamic spoilers around the outline of the brake intake with additional air curtain. The breather on the front wing will occupy the full length.
There is a wider track so both front and rear arches will be pronounced to accommodate 19" wheels. Although 18" will be offered.
Signature quad M exhaust ports with aerodynamic developed diffuser and a double edged Carbon fibre roof will be standard.
Alas, we learned in the meantime that the "doubled edged CF roof" didn't make it for the final cut of the M2 base version. And the 18"/19" wheels info could be outdated by now too. Hoping for the meatier 19". Tests will have pointed out in the meantime with which size it performs best. Decisions, decisions...

November 2014:
Quote:
Much , Much Better.
We can now see its fangs
The typical M grille will feature as will LED headlights but I have not seen the L shaped lights just the LEDs on the forthcoming 1er which we will see in just under 2 weeks. It will have its own wheels also.
March 2015:
Quote:
The M2 was there in its final form it was the first time I have seen the car, no Carbon roof, new five spoke wheels and a very aggressive aerodynamic kit which is a more realistic version taken from the GT car which gives the car a very aggressive look. The "fangs" which provide function really add an aggressive look to the car. Its body is more muscular than the standard 2er including the M235i so there is a distance between the two to allow both M2 and M235i to flourish. Wheel arches are broader especially at the rear.
Both M2 and M4 GTS will be launched in late 2015. And both models are considered for further progress.
      07-29-2015, 11:33 PM   #288
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Good information. I don't really care about the options. I'm more concerned about when the car gets to NA markets and how difficult it will to buy one. I can probably be patient, but I truly dread the dealer "this is a limited car, please beg us to sell you one above MSRP" B.S. That will drive me to an F80, 997.2 GTS or other car.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 11:39 PM   #289
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsport View Post
Question for you 1M experts.

Being limited production up front, did dealers order "Demo" cars? I thought they were all customer ordered cars based on availability.
I recall there being a couple that were not customer ordered. One of my local dealerships had one that wasn't spoken for and the infamous 1M form a Cali dealership that had an asking price of 80-90k. If you remember, the latter being the joy ridden car by one of the techs which the video was posted on YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 11:50 PM   #290
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Did Scott mention CF roof would be an option or am I imaging this? Wasn't there a red mule spotted with one? Also didn't hayes180 say he saw 1 piece F80 seats in the car at one of the race tracks somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 12:11 AM   #291
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Not yet. Not yet.

But I bet we see one at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstM3 View Post
No convertible?
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2015, 12:15 AM   #292
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I'd never buy a car from Pacific BMW.

Never... Ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I recall there being a couple that were not customer ordered. One of my local dealerships had one that wasn't spoken for and the infamous 1M form a Cali dealership that had an asking price of 80-90k. If you remember, the latter being the joy ridden car by one of the techs which the video was posted on YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 03:14 AM   #293
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
Bingo.

Some people on this thread want to load their M2s up with comfort-hog features.

Others want "That STANCE!" and get into a metro-tizzy deciding between 4.4mm vs. 4.7mm spacers.

Yet others want BMW to offer their favorite shade of flaming lavender as a factory color option.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, BMW is spending millions developing the M2's chassis.
I already know the chassis is going to spectacular. I wish NAV and electric seats were not standard...but, it is what it is.

Keep in mind that the options list and the options packages will vary by country. U.K. Options for U.K and each of the three North American countries will likely differ from the European list in some way.

On the 1m heated seats were a $500 option in the U.S. And power seats were only available as part of a premium package. The premium package is often what separated " strippers " from the loaded cars as most hard core enthusiasts preferred the lower seating position available from the standard seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 03:32 AM   #294
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsport

Being limited production up front, did dealers order "Demo" cars? I thought they were all customer ordered cars based on availability.

Correct all were customer ordered- keep in mind that the dealer is a customer. Many dealers ordered the cars loaded once they knew they were selling like hotcakes.

I'm not aware of any dealers that ordered a demo.

For the 1M, Every U.S dealer was guaranteed 1 car. There were approximately 360 dealers back in 2010, I called a lot of them ... Over 200

Additional dealer allocations for the 1M were based on a secret formula ( any dealer reps know and want to share ?) that factored in the quantity of 1 series vehicles sold by the dealer as well as the quantity of M cars sold by the dealer.

This formula allowed some dealers that sold more 1 series models to get more allocations than other dealers that may simply have sold lots of M cars.

So of a total of 740 delivered, the additional 400 allocations were spread pretty thinly across the country.

I'm not aware of a DFW dealer that got more than 3-4 allocations. Both coasts sold out quickly and once many people realized that they were 13th In line at their local dealer and production was close to ended there was a scramble for all the cars that were at small dealerships In places like Tennessee, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri etc where people didn't really know what the 1M even was. These very same small dealers in rural areas didn't know what they had so many were amenable to ordering the car with buyer selected options and allowing euro delivery discount.

Oh yes... And the allocations came out across the country almost in regions. Upper NE and west coast of the country got the first cars .. And iirc uk and Canada before the U.S.

So the big questions remain for me.

Curb weight
Price
How many will they make a year ?

The 1M would have certainly sold double the production in year one if the factory had produced more.....
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2015, 03:51 AM   #295
SickFinga
Captain
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathis View Post
Here are some of the one I ordered : 1H92 M2 Coupé ( that's the official name of he car)
Where are you from? 1H92 means a RHD car.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 06:33 AM   #296
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

Well BMW are making it easy for people to forget about the M2, it no longer interests me, this is just an M235i with less options that handles better, I don't think it will be hard getting one as very few people will want one, anyone that wants a real M car won't even look at the M2, for the sake of an extra 8 inches in length you can get an M4 which will be a much better car, no doubt this is what BMW want but I'm sure they're happy to milk a little extra from the M4 parts making an M2
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 06:51 AM   #297
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077 View Post
Well BMW are making it easy for people to forget about the M2, it no longer interests me, this is just an M235i with less options that handles better, I don't think it will be hard getting one as very few people will want one, anyone that wants a real M car won't even look at the M2, for the sake of an extra 8 inches in length you can get an M4 which will be a much better car, no doubt this is what BMW want but I'm sure they're happy to milk a little extra from the M4 parts making an M2
Moving up to an M3 would likely be an extra $200 a month and not worth it for me. I'd be curious to know how many people interested in the M2 could still comfortably afford an M3/M4 but still choose the M2.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 07:32 AM   #298
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85
Quote:
Moving up to an M3 would likely be an extra $200 a month and not worth it for me. I'd be curious to know how many people interested in the M2 could still comfortably afford an M3/M4 but still choose the M2.
I am thinking about M2. I can comfortably buy M3/M4, but want something smaller, more nimble, more fun to drive...

I only drive ~5k miles a year so am looking for a fun toy.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 07:45 AM   #299
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

This will all depend on which country you're in. It's my understanding in the states the difference from the M2 to base M3 is 10k? 53k vs 63k I'm going to guess. Now in comparison to my country Australia the 1M was 99k and new M3 is 170k but is fairly heavily packaged as a base form. No such thing as stripper version. Anyway it shows how ripped off we get and this highlights exactly why I've been so passionate about wanting BMW to give the car all the good bits like CF roof and M seats because of the premium we pay And I can now see why some of the U.S guys are ok with not getting these bits as the car is only 50K and its a cost thing to keep it under M3. But to add those bits for Australia it's still miles off the M3 another 50-60K!!
This to me highlights a major issue that BMW need to address for my country!

FWIW 1 USD is 1.4 AUD
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2015, 07:49 AM   #300
gtaM2
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
and another one bites the dust...

the M2 is crappy everyone please buy the M3/M4
Appreciate 2
      07-30-2015, 07:56 AM   #301
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
"anyone that wants a real M car won't even look at the 1M"... Must be deja vu.

Please go and enjoy your M4, this M2 is clearly not for you.

I happen to own 2 M cars. Sorry if that sounds arrogant, I'm not trying to be. But to me, the M2 is so much more of an M car, or at least what I look for in an M car, than the M4.

There I said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
If it came down to it, I could, although I'd just have to push it back another year. Zero interest in the M4. M3 does have a slight chance just because it's a 4 door.

But then I look at the rear seats of my cars and realize that they are absolutely mint because I rarely ever have passengers in the back seat.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2015, 08:09 AM   #302
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
People have a tendency to believe that everyone thinks like them. We all do it. That doesn't make it so. Demand for the 1M was crazy, and the secondary market is still ridiculously high. In other words, reality doesn't exactly jive with your opinion.

Some of what you said is laughable in the context of "a real M car". What makes a real M car? Remember, M stands for motorsport. You think "more options" makes an M car? You use "handles better" as some sort of negative epithet? If anyone has missed the point of what a "real M car" is, it appears to be you, not BMW M.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 5
      07-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #303
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsport View Post

None that I ever saw - and I went to quite a few dealers just so I could see/drive/touch one.
      07-30-2015, 09:02 AM   #304
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
"anyone that wants a real M car won't even look at the 1M"... Must be deja vu.

Please go and enjoy your M4, this M2 is clearly not for you.

I happen to own 2 M cars. Sorry if that sounds arrogant, I'm not trying to be. But to me, the M2 is so much more of an M car, or at least what I look for in an M car, than the M4.

There I said it.
Of course it is deja vu. it was the same thing initially with the 135 vs. 335...and then the 1M and the M3, M5 crowd. The folks who simply cannot understand why someone would seriously rather have a 1M or M2 over the higher M cars, or a lower number series car for that matter, aren't the target market. BMW is quite happy that those people think the way they do, because those higher "level" cars produce a significantly higher profit margin. Yes, BMW is happy to take more of your money.

I also truly believe that people use the forums to justify their respective purchases - hence why you will see a lot of "fanboyism" (if that's such a thing ) when it comes to boards like these. I have always enjoyed the forums for the wealth of knowledge and good discussion about shared interests...but it is hard to take people seriously when they thing widget X is the greatest invention of all time. Or that my widget is better because it costs more than your widget, etc., etc...
      07-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #305
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I have a deposit down on an M2.

I tried to like the M4 a lot. I even went to the dealer 3-4 times to look at the M4. The M4 in person is HUGE to me. Sure it is a nice car, but I envision a coupe to be small and nimble. When I sat in it it became apparent that this is a big big car. I think the M2 is a perfect size for an M car. Since the M2 became a reality my potential M4 purchase thoughts have disappeared.

I strongly believe the M2 is yesterdays M3!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #306
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
You may be setting yourself up for disappointment.
The M2 was built to be an inexpensive, fun car "... to make the M brand more accessible to neophytes." (M division head Kay Segler (2009)).
Yesterdays M3s were not built for that purpose.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 10:20 AM   #307
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
You may be setting yourself up for disappointment.
The M2 was built to be an inexpensive, fun car "... to make the M brand more accessible to neophytes." (M division head Kay Segler (2009)).
Yesterdays M3s were not built for that purpose.
Yesterdays M3 I meant was by the size. The M2 (comparing M235i) is identical to the size of the e46 M3. Comparing e46 M3 to today it was cheap and fun to drive!

Today's m3 has grown up in price and in size.

So yes I still believe the M2 is yesterday's M3 but a more modern one!

I for one lusted over the M3 in Highschool and college years. Fast forward today I feel like the M2 is the car I lusted over than the M4. M4 has grown up to be a very mature bigger car than what I lusted over in my college years...

Last edited by chmura; 07-30-2015 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #308
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Of course it is deja vu. it was the same thing initially with the 135 vs. 335...and then the 1M and the M3, M5 crowd. The folks who simply cannot understand why someone would seriously rather have a 1M or M2 over the higher M cars, or a lower number series car for that matter, aren't the target market. BMW is quite happy that those people think the way they do, because those higher "level" cars produce a significantly higher profit margin. Yes, BMW is happy to take more of your money.

I also truly believe that people use the forums to justify their respective purchases - hence why you will see a lot of "fanboyism" (if that's such a thing ) when it comes to boards like these. I have always enjoyed the forums for the wealth of knowledge and good discussion about shared interests...but it is hard to take people seriously when they thing widget X is the greatest invention of all time. Or that my widget is better because it costs more than your widget, etc., etc...
You're absolutely right. I can't wait until this car is released so we can start talking about reviews, rather than silly things.

Considering the RS3 doesn't sound like it's doing that great, I think the M2 will do just fine. Assuming they ever release this freaken thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I have a deposit down on an M2.

I tried to like the M4 a lot. I even went to the dealer 3-4 times to look at the M4. The M4 in person is HUGE to me. Sure it is a nice car, but I envision a coupe to be small and nimble. When I sat in it it became apparent that this is a big big car. I think the M2 is a perfect size for an M car. Since the M2 became a reality my potential M4 purchase thoughts have disappeared.

Agreed, and it shouldn't have to be like that IMHO, especially when the cars cost this much.

Hell I didn't just look at the car 3-4 times, I could just run over to the performance center and stare at them all day long. I've actually had a chance to drive the M3/4 on 4 separate occasions, 1 of them being in a 6MT. I've actually defended the car plenty of times on the E9x boards (doesn't sound as bad in real life, likes to rev to redline ect ect), but it's just not the car for me I don't think.

When I drove the E9x M3 for the first time, I HAD to have it. When I drove the Cayman for the first time, it was love at first sight. When I drove MINI Cooper S for the first time, I saw what the big deal was about its handling. The M3/4, while nice, didn't leave me with the sensation that it was an all time great IMHO. I will admit, I did put up feelers for both my E92 and E36 to jump into an F80, but I decided that it was not the right move at all.

If anyone is semi interested in reading my reviews about these cars, here's the link. Even back then, you could already see how impressed I was with just the M235i over the M3/4:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1036562
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 2