BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Turbo DIY?

12-26-2023, 09:05 PM   #1
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Turbo DIY?

Hey y'all,
I'm potentially looking to DIY a PS2 on my car sometime next month and was wondering if anyone knew the answers to the following F87-specific questions:

1. Anyone know what the turbo install kit entails? PNs specifically? I'm swapping the turbos between 2 cars so need 2 install kits and would prefer to get it from FCP incase I do another swap in the future
2. Does the subframe have to come out in the M2 to get the turbo out?
3. Will I have to hoist up the motor and remove the passenger rear engine mount? Or will there be enough room to get the turbo out with the mount still in?
4. Will the EWGs need adjustment if I'm just swapping directly between two M2s? The adjustment only requires ISTA (no mechanical tools), right?

Thanks!
      12-26-2023, 10:53 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdar View Post
Hey y'all,
I'm potentially looking to DIY a PS2 on my car sometime next month and was wondering if anyone knew the answers to the following F87-specific questions:

1. Anyone know what the turbo install kit entails? PNs specifically? I'm swapping the turbos between 2 cars so need 2 install kits and would prefer to get it from FCP incase I do another swap in the future
2. Does the subframe have to come out in the M2 to get the turbo out?
3. Will I have to hoist up the motor and remove the passenger rear engine mount? Or will there be enough room to get the turbo out with the mount still in?
4. Will the EWGs need adjustment if I'm just swapping directly between two M2s? The adjustment only requires ISTA (no mechanical tools), right?

Thanks!
1. There are quite a few part numbers to list, so I recommend getting ISTA and checking out which parts you need to do. But to name a few: exhaust manifold bolts, exhaust manifold gaskets, probably new o-rings for the oil lines etc.

2. No, you just have to remove the passenger side (on an LHD car) motor mount, so you will need an E46 tow hook and an engine support.

3. You will only have to lift the engine a few cm to remove the passenger side motor mount, that'll give you alot of access underneath to remove the turbo. Downpipe needs to come out as well. You must remove the engine mount or else you will not have enought room to remove the entire turbo.

4. You should still use ISTA to recalibrate the EWG motor. Mechanical adjustments shouldn't be required unless the EWG actuator linkage was moved/adjusted accidentally. You should still inspect it to make sure it can be fully closed and opened.
samsamdar590.00
M2guru402.00
      12-27-2023, 04:18 AM   #3
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Some additional input:

1. My install kit came with more than I needed and some parts I didn't use (just reused the old ones - like the exhaust manifold studs). Also, I ordered extra o-rings to ensure I had enough (I like to have extra). Gathering the parts yourself that you want to replace will likely be cheaper.

2. I'd rather have space and remove extra things than have to get cut up & cramp up my hands and break parts/strip bolts because I can't get at them well, so I removed the oil/water heat exchanger & bracket, coolant reservoir and replaced the water pump & thermostat at the same time. This gave me much easier access to everything. Not necessary, but gave me some level(s) of comfort/ease.

3. Consider removing the motor mount arm to give yourself more access (between the block and the mount). Loosening this up also allows the motor mount to come out more easily without raising the engine with the support bar very far.

4. Follow the procedures for setting the EWG and I'd bet you won't need ISTA. I have yet to start my car after doing mine, but I have great confidence in the EWG because I followed the manual's measurements.

Good luck! Happy to help with any questions!

Last edited by M2guru; 12-27-2023 at 04:27 AM..
Appreciate 3
F87source7271.00
samsamdar590.00
Mr_M//123.50
      12-27-2023, 11:32 AM   #4
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Thank you M2guru F87source!

Guru, what instructions are you talking about in 4? I have a copy of ISTA and can use it if necessary
      12-27-2023, 05:31 PM   #5
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdar View Post
Thank you M2guru F87source!

Guru, what instructions are you talking about in 4? I have a copy of ISTA and can use it if necessary
Get newtis and your life will be much better: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...1401477&page=2
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
samsamdar590.00
      12-27-2023, 06:14 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
Get newtis and your life will be much better: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...1401477&page=2
Newtis is just a website that posts/hosts instructions from ISTA, so the only difference is you can access it from any site. The major negative is you lose all diagnostics and programming capabilities. So imo it's better to have ISTA, because (at least for me) I'd rather look at car stuff on a computer so might as well use ISTA.
      12-27-2023, 06:37 PM   #7
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Newtis is just a website that posts/hosts instructions from ISTA, so the only difference is you can access it from any site. The major negative is you lose all diagnostics and programming capabilities. So imo it's better to have ISTA, because (at least for me) I'd rather look at car stuff on a computer so might as well use ISTA.
I defer to F87source on this. He knows more than I do. So far, I have just used the information from the website.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 06:18 PM   #8
Mr_M//
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2/M3

4- just close it and mark it in black marker at the edge of the bar and the turbo, then install it the new one same spot. I didn’t adjust anything after, not even using ISTA.
1- installation kit I wouldn’t buy it, just buy what you think you need to replace from the dealership, rings are cheap, but you need the manifold rings.
Speedtech top mount G35|Motive| Reflex plus | Wagner EVO 3 | BMP manifold | Dorch Stage 2 HPFP | PI | Precision Racework stage 4V2 LPFP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit |turner catch can| HRE 20” \Apex 18” wheels| ECUTEK tuned by bendCalibration|ohlins suspension
IG Modded_M2

Last edited by Mr_M//; 12-28-2023 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
samsamdar590.00