BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > M2 Tire Pressure Warning

06-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

M2 Tire Pressure Warning

Hi,

I got a pressure tire warning the other day. It did not seemed I had low tire pressure. Is it something normal? The M2 is my 1st car equipped with tire pressure monitoring, although it does not display individual tire pressure.

I will check tonight the tire pressure again in case I have a slow leek.

Please comment.
      06-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Try resetting TPMS through iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
Try resetting TPMS through iDrive.
This is what I did when I got to a stop. Pressure warning was already off anyways. I will check tire pressure tonight and re-perform reset after.

Another point, when the warning is on, the car defaults to "Comfort" mode.
      06-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

I have a '17 as well, and the pressure does show for each tire.
Fill tires when cold of course, then thru Idrive, click on reset and drive off, as it only re-sets when moving--at least mine does. It creeps across screen by percentages till finished.
I also noted that the adjusted pressure would not re-register on screen with new fill levels until motor was turned off and then back on...like a reboot. I also have the pressure level screen set for BUTTON 1 on dash, so at a glance while driving I can check tires.
Someone else may have better counsel on this.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #5
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
I have a '17 as well, and the pressure does show for each tire.
Fill tires when cold of course, then thru Idrive, click on reset and drive off, as it only re-sets when moving--at least mine does. It creeps across screen by percentages till finished.
I also noted that the adjusted pressure would not re-register on screen with new fill levels until motor was turned off and then back on...like a reboot. I also have the pressure level screen set for BUTTON 1 on dash, so at a glance while driving I can check tires.
Someone else may have better counsel on this.
I will have to check that tonight. My pressure was well adjusted. I didn't roll out. I will do it tonight and see if I get tire pressure for each wheels after I performed my reset.
      06-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Remember, Canadian cars do not get TPMS. We get FTM (flat tire monitor) which only looks at wheel rotational speed to detect pressure differences. Our displays (unless you buy TPMS sensors seperately and code your car to support them) will never display individual tire pressures or temperatures.
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41908.00
      06-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
Remember, Canadian cars do not get TPMS. We get FTM (flat tire monitor) which only looks at wheel rotational speed to detect pressure differences. Our displays (unless you buy TPMS sensors seperately and code your car to support them) will never display individual tire pressures or temperatures.
Thanks for info!
      06-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #8
Hossel19
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
Hi,

I got a pressure tire warning the other day. It did not seemed I had low tire pressure. Is it something normal? The M2 is my 1st car equipped with tire pressure monitoring, although it does not display individual tire pressure.

I will check tonight the tire pressure again in case I have a slow leek.

Please comment.
Hi Benzima,
I got the same thing about a month ago after a long drive on the highway. I stopped and checked my tire pressure, everything was ok, I reset it and haven't got the warning since.
I owned an e92 335i for 6 years and had a similar issue twice in that period.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #9
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossel19 View Post
Hi Benzima,
I got the same thing about a month ago after a long drive on the highway. I stopped and checked my tire pressure, everything was ok, I reset it and haven't got the warning since.
I owned an e92 335i for 6 years and had a similar issue twice in that period.
Thanks for feedback. I am not concerned for now, just a bummer it defaults to "comfort" mode...
      06-30-2017, 10:40 PM   #10
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
I got a low pressure warning today too. It showed all tires between 26 and 28psi. I reset it and the warning has not come back on although it still shows the tires are between 26 and 28psi. The sticker on the driver side door says cold tire pressure should be 35psi. By the way, Contis here and I'm in the US. Going on a trip tomorrow so I'm thinking I should inflate the tires more.

Also, after driving, about how long to wait before tires are cool enough?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:30 PM   #11
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
I got a low pressure warning today too. It showed all tires between 26 and 28psi. I reset it and the warning has not come back on although it still shows the tires are between 26 and 28psi. The sticker on the driver side door says cold tire pressure should be 35psi. By the way, Contis here and I'm in the US. Going on a trip tomorrow so I'm thinking I should inflate the tires more.

Also, after driving, about how long to wait before tires are cool enough?
It's hard and nearly impossible to determine how long to wait before adjusting tire pressures once you've driven the car more than a mile or two. The best way to set tire pressures is to add air when the tires are stone cold in the am. If that's not possible do what I do - overfill them by about 4 PSI and then adjust the pressures down to spec when the tires are stone cold in the am.
Attached Images