BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > ► APEX | Developing M2 Specific Track Wheels

Closed Thread

05-23-2017, 09:17 PM   #23
ex12psi
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

I noticed the eta for shipping isn't until oct or nov which sucks. In the meantime, what options do I have? I want stagger but I will consider square? I run -4 deg of camber in the front, coilovers so lower height. I don't mind putting on a spacer. I just need a apex wheel setup for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #24
jnoyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BSM M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexRaceParts View Post
Appreciate your vote!

Due to the small size of the M2 community, it would be difficult to cultivate enough demand to warrant production on an 18x10" ET40 "stock" fitment.

Stock class limitations are always a bit difficult to work with, however if I am not mistaken don't the rules allow you to be within 7mm of the stock offset? If so, we have the EC-7 18x9" ET31 / 18x10" ET33 fitment which is already a popular option for the M2.

- Ryan
Does that mean the EC-7 18x9" ET31 / 18x10" ET33 can be used on an M2 and keep the stock classing even though it comes with 19s standard?
Yes, at least for what I was talking about, which is 2017 scca solo rules for street class, aka "stock." You can see them here: https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules. But here is a quick screen grab of the relevant section.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ApexWheels1426.50
      05-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #25
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

Either design looks good to me maybe slightly leaning towards the SM-10. But color, I only want satin black. Doesn't show dirt or brake dust and I do like the aggressive look for track duty. Any idea on pricing?
Appreciate 1
ApexWheels1426.50
      05-24-2017, 10:55 PM   #26
garrito_burrito_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

NEED! FL-5 Stock Staggered Anthracite please!
Appreciate 1
ApexWheels1426.50
      05-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #27
ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex12psi View Post
I noticed the eta for shipping isn't until oct or nov which sucks. In the meantime, what options do I have? I want stagger but I will consider square? I run -4 deg of camber in the front, coilovers so lower height. I don't mind putting on a spacer. I just need a apex wheel setup for now.
We understand some customers may need wheels immediately, and we currently have a few fitment options available for the M2 depending on the customers plans for the car.

In your case, I would go with our EC-7 18x10" ET33 square fitment. This will properly support 265/35-18 or 275/35-18 tires on all four corners, and will also allow you to rotate wheels and tires effectively. Depending on which coilovers you are running, you will need to install 10mm - 12mm spacers up front for proper strut clearance.

If you would prefer one of the new designs (FL-5 or SM-10), we also have the 18x9.5" ET35 square fitment available. That fitment will need 5mm - 12mm spacers up front as well for proper strut clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
Either design looks good to me maybe slightly leaning towards the SM-10. But color, I only want satin black. Doesn't show dirt or brake dust and I do like the aggressive look for track duty. Any idea on pricing?
Thank you for your feedback and interest. Pricing is listed on the Group Buy website (see signature), and to keep things technical in this thread we will not be posting that information here

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrito_burrito_ View Post
NEED! FL-5 Stock Staggered Anthracite please!
Appreciate the feedback

- Ryan
      05-26-2017, 01:29 PM   #28
ex12psi
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
We understand some customers may need wheels immediately, and we currently have a few fitment options available for the M2 depending on the customers plans for the car.

In your case, I would go with our EC-7 18x10" ET33 square fitment. This will properly support 265/35-18 or 275/35-18 tires on all four corners, and will also allow you to rotate wheels and tires effectively. Depending on which coilovers you are running, you will need to install 10mm - 12mm spacers up front for proper strut clearance.

If you would prefer one of the new designs (FL-5 or SM-10), we also have the 18x9.5" ET35 square fitment available. That fitment will need 5mm - 12mm spacers up front as well for proper strut clearance.

Thank you for your feedback and interest. Pricing is listed on the Group Buy website (see signature), and to keep things technical in this thread we will not be posting that information here

Appreciate the feedback

- Ryan
Thanks Ryan! And btw we were emailing back and forth on the ec7 Respond to my email, I'm ready to buy the 18x10's!
Appreciate 1
ApexWheels1426.50
      05-26-2017, 10:02 PM   #29
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:

Appreciate the feedback

- Ryan
Voted for FL-5! #20 on list.

Question: I understand the photos of different wheels were photoshopped onto the same identical M2.

Is the concaveness of the FL-5 shown in the car/wheel pictures, exactly how the ones that end up being produced will look like? or it'll look more like this one below?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 06:31 AM   #30
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

I am interested in the rears only since I already have a square setup coming in FL5 whenever those ship, hopefully that's soon. Sunce there is no option on he group but site I will say I am interested in FL5 18x10.5 rear in race silver.
Appreciate 1
ApexWheels1426.50
      05-28-2017, 05:14 PM   #31
Mr 2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Will the square FL-5 18x9.5 et28 with 265/35/18 fit OEM height without adding camber?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #32
ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex12psi View Post
Thanks Ryan! And btw we were emailing back and forth on the ec7 Respond to my email, I'm ready to buy the 18x10's!
Will do, sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis///M View Post
Voted for FL-5! #20 on list.

Question: I understand the photos of different wheels were photoshopped onto the same identical M2.

Is the concaveness of the FL-5 shown in the car/wheel pictures, exactly how the ones that end up being produced will look like? or it'll look more like this one below?
Great question. We made sure the M2 on-car renderings had the correct spoke concavity as well as lip depth (FL-5) for each fitment. Those images are great representations of what to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
I am interested in the rears only since I already have a square setup coming in FL5 whenever those ship, hopefully that's soon. Sunce there is no option on he group but site I will say I am interested in FL5 18x10.5 rear in race silver.
Appreciate it

Quote:
Will the square FL-5 18x9.5 et28 with 265/35/18 fit OEM height without adding camber?
This is going to be dependent on tire brand and vehicle ride height, however we are strongly recommending that customers install aftermarket adjustable camber plates to ensure clearance to the front fenders. In comparison to OEM specs, you would be jumping up two sizes in tire width and adding an extra 1/2" of wheel width under the front fenders. The wheels alone will sit 7mm closer to the front fenders in relation to the stock setup. It would be very tight under compression without camber dialed in.

At the end of the day, if you are installing wider front wheels with 265/35-18 tires, it is safe to say that you are looking to maximize the cars handling potential. As described in the OP, adjustable camber plates and negative camber specs play a vital role in not only achieving better handling characteristics but also promoting more consistent tire wear when driving spiritedly.

- Ryan
      06-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #33
Expert@ApexWheels
Rep

We love the new design of our SM-10 and FL-5 wheels! Here are some up close beauty shots of the new “I” Beam Machining on the spokes :thumbsup2:

06-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #34
slowbrick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2003 M3

Dont see 18x9.5 ET28 listed in the group buy link?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #35
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1991 318is; 2017 M2

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Hi
very interested in the SM-10's but if you guys ended up making the FL-5's I wouldn't turn my back. I'd be using them purely for autocross so I think the 9.5 ET28 square setup is for me.
I have one probably pretty stupid question, if I'm running these 18" rims as my track wheels and I run the 19" OEM as my daily's, am I going to have to adjust my KW Variant 3's every time I swap between the tires or would I be able to get the car setup for the Apex wheels and run the OEM's without much rubbing?
Excuse my ignorance but thanks in advance for any feedback.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #36
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

I'm running 18x10 ET25 square with 275/35/18 tires all around on stock suspension and it fits easily with -2.75 camber in the front. I even crammed a 285/30/18 Hoosier R6 on the same wheels with no rubbing at stock ride height. It did stick out past the fender since I had stock alignment at the time

I think a 18x10 ET28-ET30 would be pretty ideal for a square setup to run a 275 or 285 square tire. At stock power levels this is PLENTY of tire for the track.

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 06-03-2017 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 3
rwalker329.50
GVN*2FLY102.00
      06-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #37
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes easily. A 285/30/18 on a 18x10 ET25 fits oem ride height without adding camber. When I say fits I mean it won't rub and works but will stick out past the fender. A 275 is flush with the fender with a 18x10 ET25. A 265 on a less aggressive ET28 offset on a narrower 9.5 wheel will easily fit.
Appreciate 1
rwalker329.50
      06-03-2017, 11:35 PM   #38
slowbrick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2003 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
I'm running 18x10 ET25 square with 275/35/18 tires all around on stock suspension and it fits easily with -2.75 camber in the front. I even crammed a 285/30/18 Hoosier R6 on the same wheels with no rubbing at stock ride height. It did stick out past the fender since I had stock alignment at the time

I think a 18x10 ET28-ET30 would be pretty ideal for a square setup to run a 275 or 285 square tire. At stock power levels this is PLENTY of tire for the track.
Running spacers at all with this setup?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 12:50 AM   #39
aarodynamics
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2/08 M3/15 Golf R/20 GT4

Quote:
We’re making a big change to how we’re releasing the M2 wheels.

Most of you required a deep discount when you joined the deal, but there aren’t nearly enough members to reach those discounts yet. In your best interest, we’ve made a commitment to produce the FL-5 design in all three finishes, and offer them through the APEX website in a traditional pre-sale format with discounts up to $400 off the set + Free Shipping.

Every month we’ll be reducing the pre-order discount by $50. The earlier you order the more you’ll save. We’ll have that page up on our site in a few days and we’ll email you that link.

The trade-off is they are getting pushed to the back of our production schedule. They’ll be arriving in January, just before the 2018 driving season.

Thank you for working with us to make this project possible.
I read this on GroupBuyParts and was really bummed to hear how far back this is getting pushed. I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot of people here would be willing to pay full price for these wheels and compromise on color and style to move the ship date forward.

Would you consider polling all of us to find out if we'd be open to voting for a single color and single style?

For example, I'd be fine paying full price if I could get these sooner. I'd take them in any of the colors and either style. I just want to get them in the staggered setup, but I imagine that part is easy for you since there are really only two different sizes anyways.

What do the rest of you think?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #40
ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbrick View Post
Dont see 18x9.5 ET28 listed in the group buy link?
The Group Buy has been changed to a traditional pre-sale layout, and the two wheel fitments would be 18x9.5" ET28 and 18x10.5" ET40 in the FL-5 design. In effort to keep this thread focused on the technical aspects, I will PM you the link to our commercial thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMs335D View Post
Hi
very interested in the SM-10's but if you guys ended up making the FL-5's I wouldn't turn my back. I'd be using them purely for autocross so I think the 9.5 ET28 square setup is for me.
I have one probably pretty stupid question, if I'm running these 18" rims as my track wheels and I run the 19" OEM as my daily's, am I going to have to adjust my KW Variant 3's every time I swap between the tires or would I be able to get the car setup for the Apex wheels and run the OEM's without much rubbing?
Excuse my ignorance but thanks in advance for any feedback.
Appreciate your interest. The 18x9.5" ET28 is a great candidate for a rotatable square fitment, and most customers will wrap them in 265/35-8 or 275/35-18 tires. You can absolutely get a "double duty" alignment which can be used for both your street and track set of wheels. Of course there is a trade off present whenever you are using the car for both, as within the track environment the car will benefit from more aggressive negative camber specs, while on the street the car would be best with a little less negative camber. As long you you keep your toe settings neutral (close to factory specs), your tires will wear just fine.

Many enthusiasts who do not have dedicated track/race cars choose an alignment setting to serve both, and how aggressive you choose to go is totally up to you and your priorities (how often you use the car for each use). I myself run -3 degrees up front on and off the track as an example, as I am willing to give up slightly more wear on the street in turn for better handling characteristics and tire wear on track. Some double duty enthusiasts with choose to hover closer to the -2.5 degree marker up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post

Appreciate your feedback. We agree an 18x10" square fitment is another good way to go, however we chose to first release the 18x9.5" ET28 along with the 18x10.5" ET40 as it kills two fitments with one stone. The 18x9.5" ET28 can either be used in combination with the 18x10.5" ET40 for a bolt on staggered fitment, or by itself as a square fitment on all four corners of the car.

We also already offer our EC-7 design in an 18x10" ET33 which is a very good 10" square fitment for this car.

The M2 owners club is still relatively small, therefore it is difficult to offer a ton of fitment options without the proper demand behind each to warrant production. In due time, as the community expands and more owners are tracking the car or looking to swap out the stock 19" wheels, we may be able to release another 18x10" wheel with a slightly lower offset then the current ET33.

For now our current lineup in addition to the two new fitments proposed here should offer M2 enthusiasts with plenty of choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarodynamics View Post
I read this on GroupBuyParts and was really bummed to hear how far back this is getting pushed. I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot of people here would be willing to pay full price for these wheels and compromise on color and style to move the ship date forward.

Would you consider polling all of us to find out if we'd be open to voting for a single color and single style?

For example, I'd be fine paying full price if I could get these sooner. I'd take them in any of the colors and either style. I just want to get them in the staggered setup, but I imagine that part is easy for you since there are really only two different sizes anyways.

What do the rest of you think?
Thank you for your interest, and your feedback in regards to our Group Buy update. There were a few reasons this formatting change had to happen, from our production pipeline being a bit backed up, to a majority of our M2 customer base selecting the deeper discount tiers of the Group Buy (which required much more participation from the community then we received). Although the release date is pushed out as a result (which we agree is a bummer) it will ultimately better serve our customers by offering early adopters stellar discounts! I wont go into specifics in this thread, but please visit our commercial thread for more information.

We have already narrowed things down to the FL-5 design, and that decision was made based on the customer statistics that we received. Offering them in all three finish options is no problem for us, and narrowing the finish down to one would not accelerate production.

- Ryan

Last edited by ApexWheels; 06-05-2017 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #41
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbrick View Post
Running spacers at all with this setup?
None at all
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #42
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

I do not want to wait till January.

Noticed from your website that you will have the both SM10s and FL5s in 18x10 et25 availaible in mid june. Is this correct?

In this size wheel, what offset works best for our cars ET25 or ET33?
I have camber plates, and do not like to use spacers.

thanks!
      06-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #43
ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
I do not want to wait till January.

Noticed from your website that you will have the both SM10s and FL5s in 18x10 et25 availaible in mid june. Is this correct?

In this size wheel, what offset works best for our cars ET25 or ET33?
I have camber plates, and do not like to use spacers.

thanks!

Appreciate your interest. We just received a large container of our new SM-10 and FL-5 wheels today. Existing options that are readily available are listed below. You mentioned trying to avoid spacers... the new proposed M2 specific fitments in the OP are in place for this very reason. Our existing line up offers multiple fitment that can absolutely work the M2 (and work well) as you can see, but none of them were made specifically for this chassis from scratch to ensure spacerless fitments.

Our most popular fitments that are currently available are the 18x9.5" ET35 square fitment, as well as the 18x10" ET33 square fitment. Both will require spacers up front to clear your suspension.

Square Fitments:

18x9" ET30 - 255/35-18
^ Available in EC-7, FL-5 & SM-10 designs
* No spacers required

18x9.5" ET35 - 265/35-18 or 275/35-18
* 5mm spacers at minimum will be needed up front to clear your struts
* Negative camber is advised up front

18x9.5" ET22 - 265/35-18 or 275/35-18
* No spacers required
* Negative camber will be needed to clear front fenders

^ Available in EC-7 & FL-5 designs

18x10" ET33 - 265/35-18 or 275/35-18
* 5mm spacers at minimum will be needed up front to clear your struts (10mm have often been used)

^ Available only in EC-7 design

18x10" ET25 - 265/35-18 or 275/35-18
* No spacers required
* Aggressive fitment (@CosmosMpower is running this setup with 285/30 tires in our EC-7 design)
* Negative camber will be needed to clear fenders

Staggered Fitments:

Front: 18x9.5" ET35 - 255/35-18 or 265/35-18
Rear: 18x10" ET33 - 275/35-18

^ Available only in EC-7 design

- Ryan

Last edited by ApexWheels; 06-07-2017 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #44
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

Quote:
Appreciate your interest. We just received a large container today of our new SM-10 and FL-5 wheels. Existing options that are readily available would be:

FL-5 Design:

Front & Rear 18x9.5" ET35 - 265/35-18 or 275/35-18 tires

Front & Rear 18x9.5" ET22 - 265/35-18 or 275/35-18 tires
* No spacers required, but negative camber will be needed to clear front fenders

SM-10 Design:

EC-7 Design:

Front & Rear 18x9.5" ET22 - 265/35-18 or 275/35-18 tires
* No spacers required, but negative camber will be needed to clear front

Front & Rear: 18x10" ET33 - 265/35-18 or 275/35-18 tires
* 5mm spacers at minimum will be needed up front to clear your struts (10mm have often been used)

Front: 18x9.5" ET35 - 255/35-18 or 265/35-18
Rear: 18x10" ET33 - 275/35-18

- Ryan
Ryan,

when will et25 18X10 be availaible?