BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > The return of Purity--M2 vs. M4 comparison

04-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #23
mgbmwm2
Rep
Drives: no comment

Amazing pictures and comparison to the m4. Couple of months ago I was leaning towards the cayman but after seeing all the reviews and the photos I have decided to buy this car.

M4 looks more expensive for obvious reasons but I like the overall look of the m2. However I'm still disappointed about the exclusion of resin on those carbon trim, they should have had at least 2 or more option to choose from.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #24
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

Great write up, from a bunch of like minded enthusiasts. Nice job. A lotta love for this car, shared by me also.
      04-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #25
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbmwm2 View Post
M4 looks more expensive for obvious reasons but I like the overall look of the m2. However I'm still disappointed about the exclusion of resin on those carbon trim, they should have had at least 2 or more option to choose from.
I was actually pleasantly surprised when i saw the open weave c/f trim for the first time, reading a lot of people's thoughts i was worried it looked awful but i liked it.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2016, 01:54 AM   #26
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
I was actually pleasantly surprised when i saw the open weave c/f trim for the first time, reading a lot of people's thoughts i was worried it looked awful but i liked it.
I go back and forth on the open weave CF. It is interesting, less flashy in a way, but I wonder how it will wear. It looks like dust and crumbs and stuff like that could get in there and mess it up.

The weird thing, at least as I understand from a blurb I read somewhere, is that the open weave is more expensive to make than the glossy version, which runs counter to the rest of the M2 vs. M4 vibe...

I assume the MPerformance CF mirror caps, diffusers, exhaust tips and/or spoiler, because they are exposed to the elements, are all glossy and therefore don't match the open weave cockpit CF on the M2. Plus, the current CF manual shift knob that is supposed to fit the M2 is also glossy (which makes sense if you are going to have your hand on it a lot), and won't match, either.

But it does look like the MPerformance steering wheels for the car have open weave trim. I might get me the non-electronic one of those...or try to find a source for the trim piece alone, which looks like it could install in the stock wheel, and save a few hundred bucks...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 03:23 AM   #27
mgbmwm2
Rep
Drives: no comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
I go back and forth on the open weave CF. It is interesting, less flashy in a way, but I wonder how it will wear. It looks like dust and crumbs and stuff like that could get in there and mess it up.
Exactly. I'm worried about keeping them intact. At this point, I might even prefer artificial leather over these trims, at least they are easy to maintain.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 03:34 AM   #28
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Great read. And thanks for the Offspring(edit: Airbourne, Blackjack) music in the drone video, because what's to hear from that N55 L6 huh?

Cheers
Robin

Last edited by Robin_NL; 04-03-2016 at 03:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #29
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT

Awesome write-up, thanks for all the details! This is making the wait even more frustrating... But definetly worth it
      04-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #30
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT

Quote:
Same here, the look and feel of open weave is very nice to me...
      04-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #31
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Those are great pics of both cars. Thank you!

I would rather have the CF from the M3/M4 instead of the open weave.

It's gonna be a great little car. I can't wait
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #32
IDABMW
Rep
Drives: M2

Very cool! Both cars look awesome to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 03:18 PM   #33
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:

The weird thing, at least as I understand from a blurb I read somewhere, is that the open weave is more expensive to make than the glossy version, which runs counter to the rest of the M2 vs. M4 vibe...

I assume the MPerformance CF mirror caps, diffusers, exhaust tips and/or spoiler, because they are exposed to the elements, are all glossy and therefore don't match the open weave cockpit CF on the M2. Plus, the current CF manual shift knob that is supposed to fit the M2 is also glossy (which makes sense if you are going to have your hand on it a lot), and won't match, either.

But it does look like the MPerformance steering wheels for the car have open weave trim. I might get me the non-electronic one of those...or try to find a source for the trim piece alone, which looks like it could install in the stock wheel, and save a few hundred bucks...
Well, there's always this: http://www.krylon.com/products/?N=105535595

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 06:30 PM   #34
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Great pics and vid's, thanks! I love the cross cultural ///M passion!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #35
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM
Quote:

Very simple. No eating in the car and keep a swiffer next to the ebrake.
      04-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #36
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGirl07 View Post
Very simple. No eating in the car and keep a swifter next to the ebrake.

I will make a note of it

Now that you mention it, the e-brake has a CF open weave handle? Or at least I think you can spec one as part of the interior trim at MPerformance? If so, BMW must think you can handle the stuff and not mess it up...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 07:13 PM   #37
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
I go back and forth on the open weave CF. It looks like dust and crumbs and stuff like that could get in there and mess it up.
If you wanna eat in the car, buy a minivan instead lol

Or get a manual, that will prevent you from eating in the car while driving
Appreciate 2
stefan2346.50
      04-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #38
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM
Quote:
Very simple. No eating in the car and keep a swifter next to the ebrake.

I will make a note of it

Now that you mention it, the e-brake has a CF open weave handle? Or at least I think you can spec one as part of the interior trim at MPerformance? If so, BMW must think you can handle the stuff and not mess it up...
The ebrake is all leather. I had a boyfriend that used to yell at me when I got crumbs on the seat and fingerprints on his window when I opened the door. He trained me well.

Oh wait...I left his ass.
      04-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #39
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
The ebrake is all leather. I had a boyfriend that used to yell at me when I got crumbs on the seat and fingerprints on his window when I opened the door. He trained me well.

Oh wait...I left his ass.
Served him right. But the CF and Alcantara trim package you can order through MPerformance does in fact put CF on the ebrake, from the pics I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 07:42 PM   #40
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvdh View Post
Yeah, I might steer clear of that
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 01:59 AM   #41
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

M235i was the best small car BMW ever made...?

1M owners any thoughts on that or did I read it wrong?

Nope just rechecked it says ever made, not currently made.

Great comparison though thanks. As a previous M4 owner though I have to laugh at the notion it takes ages to set up the M4s configurable driving modes, nope it really doesn't, and then you just press a button. when you want it. Not exactly difficult?
      04-04-2016, 03:00 AM   #42
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarChris View Post

I read it and though: Well they apparently have never heard of the Isetta.

'Best' as in well made(qualitywise etc) they prolly have a point.

//M-wise 'best' I have my doubts. Not.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2016, 03:03 AM   #43
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I read it and though: Well they apparently have never heard of the Isetta.

'Best' as in well made(qualitywise etc) they prolly have a point.

//M-wise 'best' I have my doubts. Not.

Cheers
Robin
Yes, its a little critical and it might be a language thing, perhaps its the best small car BMW make now yes, ever........
      04-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #44
Hiigaran
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarChris View Post

Great comparison though thanks. As a previous M4 owner though I have to laugh at the notion it takes ages to set up the M4s configurable driving modes, nope it really doesn't, and then you just press a button. when you want it. Not exactly difficult?

good point, thank you for bringing this up

yes, "best small car ever made" is a little bit exaggerated,but 1M is not the best whatsoever, MT is fun, yes, but really drives u crazy in daily driving of big city, and N54 is not that reliable also, during our test drive, 1M's engine error light pops up, "power decrease" or sth, i'm not sure what is it in english version, M2? totally nothing and no-thing at all. we drove them for one whole week, daily commute, track day, slalom event, no nothing error code.

as for M235i, ZF8 is a bit of boring ,but at least it's comfy and fast enough, horsepower is good too, and throttle response also, and it's small enough to follow your steering, it can actually accompanies you for few years, you can't find another car like M235i, not until M2.

i'm not sure how 1Ms are treated in US, but in China, lot of them have been exchange for many time, coz it's not practical at all, ppl just bought them for some fun and find out they can't really handle 1M.

as for M4's setting, yes, you can save the setting in M1/M2 buttons, but to find out which combo suits you the best(or which two), takes a lot of time. You don't need to go through this process with M2, just pick one.

again, ignore any grammar mistakes plz
Appreciate 1