BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > 'clonk' on downshifting in manual M2?

06-19-2017, 05:17 AM   #1
fourscore
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

'clonk' on downshifting in manual M2?

Has anyone experienced this? it's only when downshifting and seems to come from behind when you release the clutch in the new gear.
It's more apparent when carrying a bit more speed and even more so when block changing from say 5th to 3rd. It's not all the time (and of course I can't replicate it when I try!) it may be that this is quite normal, not sure..

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #2
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Does the speed at which you let the clutch out make a difference? Ie, if you slowly release the pedal you don't get the noise?

A couple other things to try to aid in diagnosis:

1) In any gear, accelerate at about 1/2 throttle, then abruptly take your foot off the gas. wait 1 second then back on the gas for a second, then back off the gas for a second. Basically you want to set up a bucking/lurching motion in the car. Pick a nice side road where you wont get reported for drunk driving! Try in a couple different gears and see if you can isolate to a gear or set of gears.

2) Find a nice smooth strip of road where you can just cruise along at like 30 Mph. Doesn't matter which gear. Take your foot off the gas, leave the car in whatever gear you are in, and pump the clutch in, clutch out, clutch in, clutch out.

I'm thinking you might have something loose in the driveline or rear end. The above will help confirm.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

I notice this only when I am downshifting way too slow. The rev-match seems to like clutch shift release clutch really quick and it works well. If the engine does the rev-match and you let the clutch out after the RPMs drop, you get the clunk.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
usafmike
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 On Order (Aug Delivery)

I get this in my car as well. I have started releasing the clutch a little faster and at a higher RPM. I don't get the clunk when I do this but do if I release the clutch slowly.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
Glounk
First Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: M2 6mt MG

it likes brutality kind of car !!!!!!
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #6
'Q
Private
Rep

It all depends on the settings your in. On sport+, it will occur more. You just have to understand the cars behavior and try to be smoother when releasing the clutch at slow speeds.

G11 7Series - Maserati Ghibli - Audi B8 RS4
Past: Alpina E92 B3 - GTR33 - GTR35 - Supra - VW Beetle Cup Edition - DC5 Type R Turbo
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #7
fourscore
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Does the speed at which you let the clutch out make a difference? Ie, if you slowly release the pedal you don't get the noise?

A couple other things to try to aid in diagnosis:

1) In any gear, accelerate at about 1/2 throttle, then abruptly take your foot off the gas. wait 1 second then back on the gas for a second, then back off the gas for a second. Basically you want to set up a bucking/lurching motion in the car. Pick a nice side road where you wont get reported for drunk driving! Try in a couple different gears and see if you can isolate to a gear or set of gears.

2) Find a nice smooth strip of road where you can just cruise along at like 30 Mph. Doesn't matter which gear. Take your foot off the gas, leave the car in whatever gear you are in, and pump the clutch in, clutch out, clutch in, clutch out.

I'm thinking you might have something loose in the driveline or rear end. The above will help confirm.

Many thanks for this, I'll give it a try..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #8
fourscore
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
I notice this only when I am downshifting way too slow. The rev-match seems to like clutch shift release clutch really quick and it works well. If the engine does the rev-match and you let the clutch out after the RPMs drop, you get the clunk.
This is great info, will try that in the morning 👍🏼
Appreciate 1
McPurrs290.00
      06-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #9
fourscore
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafmike View Post
I get this in my car as well. I have started releasing the clutch a little faster and at a higher RPM. I don't get the clunk when I do this but do if I release the clutch slowly.
Great, thanks for this..will def try all these
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #10
fourscore
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Q View Post
It all depends on the settings your in. On sport+, it will occur more. You just have to understand the cars behavior and try to be smoother when releasing the clutch at slow speeds.
👍🏼👍🏼 Good to know, thanks and gonna try all the above
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #11
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Sounds fairly normal as the diff hooks up but I could be wrong.
      06-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #12
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

I had the same thing thought my clutch stop was messing me up so I removed it. Still had the issue sometimes. The solution: release the clutch quickly/make sure you know exactly where the catch point is.

If I released the clutch "normal" like I would in any other car I got the clunk. So I release it much quicker now.

Initially I thought the catch point was towards the middle/up top, but for me it's in the beginning, so I just make sure to briefly pause at that point then release and my downshifts no longer have the clunk. As before I was just releasing past the catch point I suppose which shocks something.

Just wondering, what exactly is making that sound though? The diff?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #13
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

I think it might be the dual mass flywheel at it's limit, making the clunk feeling. It helps with springs to absorb the shock, but at max, it would make sense to me it would feel like a clunk as the clutch wont really slip after it is engaged enough to load the flywheel. I could be talking out my ass though, but I don't know what else in the drive line would have slack to clunk.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #14
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
Yes, the quicker the clutch release the better it seems. From 3rd to 2nd it is most noticeable if you are too slow releasing at the top. The pedal has to be all the way at the end of it's up stroke. Trying to be slow and smooth at the top doesn't work. Guess the release point is that high although it doesn't seem like that when feathering out from 1st gear let's say. To me the sound seems/feels to be coming from the rear differential. Maybe some inertia from the drive shaft after the rev match or something?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 01:55 AM   #15
fourscore
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6ax View Post
I had the same thing thought my clutch stop was messing me up so I removed it. Still had the issue sometimes. The solution: release the clutch quickly/make sure you know exactly where the catch point is.

If I released the clutch "normal" like I would in any other car I got the clunk. So I release it much quicker now.

Initially I thought the catch point was towards the middle/up top, but for me it's in the beginning, so I just make sure to briefly pause at that point then release and my downshifts no longer have the clunk. As before I was just releasing past the catch point I suppose which shocks something.

Just wondering, what exactly is making that sound though? The diff?
I just went for a drive this morning and tried what you and other suggest about making the clutch release quicker and I couldn't feel any clonk so I'm thinking that must be it.
Love these forums for getting top feedback like this, thanks very much
Appreciate 3
McPurrs290.00
ewohar21.50
D CHOI581.00
      06-20-2017, 01:57 AM   #16
fourscore
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Yes, the quicker the clutch release the better it seems. From 3rd to 2nd it is most noticeable if you are too slow releasing at the top. The pedal has to be all the way at the end of it's up stroke. Trying to be slow and smooth at the top doesn't work. Guess the release point is that high although it doesn't seem like that when feathering out from 1st gear let's say. To me the sound seems/feels to be coming from the rear differential. Maybe some inertia from the drive shaft after the rev match or something?
Exactly this. Plus it wasn't happening all the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #17
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourscore View Post
I just went for a drive this morning and tried what you and other suggest about making the clutch release quicker and I couldn't feel any clonk so I'm thinking that must be it.
Love these forums for getting top feedback like this, thanks very much
Awesome! Forums are great.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #18
_bmwdriver_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT

I experienced this only in the break-in period but haven't since.