BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Am I the only one?

11-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
E82135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 6MT

Am I the only one?

Hi all, as you can tell from my user name, I am coming from 135i background.

After my accident in 2014, 135i has been gone. It was a superb experience

So instead of getting another car, I decided to drive a car that my wife use to drive, Mini Cooper S (manual). It was to wait for the M2!

However, now that we have a good idea of the price range and how it will look, both the design and performance, I must say that I am disappointed.

What am I disappointed about this fabulous machine? Well, mainly the design of both exterior and interior. Not so much on interior but mind as well say something about it.

Exterior: I feel like M2 does not have something significant as an M car. 1M was very distinguishable from 135is, 135i, and 128i. The more I look at M2, I really can't tell a difference from M235i. Yes, there is bigger intake, Yes, it is much wider. But from the pictures... it is very hard to tell there is significant difference.

Interior: I really do not have any complains about interior design but to the funcitons(?). I recently read a thread regarding to M2 will not have the M buttons. Well, what the hell? Why not? Yes, M engineering team can preset a car better far beyond my ability but why??? Isn't this one of what makes M unique?

I am no expert on cars... it is just my opinion.

I am leaning towards getting C450 AMG Coupe. Performance might not be comparable but the quality of it attracts me.

What do you guys think? Am I the only one thats been looking at M2 and now looking elsewhere?

Last edited by E82135i; 11-24-2015 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BSM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82135i View Post

So instead of getting another car, I decided to drive a car that my wife use to drive, Mini Cooper S (manual). It was to wait for the M2!

However, now that we have a good idea of the price range and how it will look, both the design and performance, I must say that I am disappointed.

What am I disappointed about this fabulous machine? Well, mainly the design of both exterior and interior. Not so much on interior but mind as well say something about it.

Exterior: I feel like M2 does not have something significant as an M car. 1M was very distinguishable from 135is, 135i, and 128i. The more I look at M2, I really can't tell a difference from M235i. Yes, there is bigger intake, Yes, it is much wider. But from the pictures... it is very hard to tell there is significant difference.

Interior: I really do not have any complains about interior design but to the funcitons(?). I recently read a thread regarding to M2 will not have the M buttons. Well, what the hell? Why not? Yes, M engineering team can preset a car better far beyond my ability but why??? Isn't this one of what makes M unique?

I am leaning towards getting C450 AMG. Performance might not be comparable but the quality of it attracts me.

What do you guys think? Am I the only one thats been looking at M2 and now looking elsewhere?
Looking at it from the front there is a huge difference?
Looking at it from the the back there is a huge difference?
From the side, it has side gills and M4 wheels so its a little different I guess?

Lol btw, what about the difference between the C450 AMG and a normal C-class. Thought about that?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I didn't realize the C450 was available in coupe form. Oops, I meant C450 AMarketingG.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 06:24 PM   #4
E82135i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makman View Post
From the side, it has side gills and M4 wheels so its a little different I guess?

Lol btw, what about the difference between the C450 AMG and a normal C-class. Thought about that?
Like I said, there isn't much significant difference IN MY OPINION.

I don't even know why you are comparing it to normal C-class to C450 AMG. C450 AMG is just like a 335IS. It is NOT AMG. So of course it does not have significant difference. Thought about that?
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
E82135i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
I didn't realize the C450 was available in coupe form. Oops, I meant C450 AMarketingG.
yup it is AMarketingG
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 06:34 PM   #6
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:

I agree,the only panels that are the same as the regular 2 series are the roof,hood,doors and trunk lid.Your getting a new front and rear bumper but the biggest change is the front and rear quarter panels which IMO look awesome.The M2 doesn't look like an M235i.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #7
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Like I said, there isn't much significant difference IN MY OPINION.

I don't even know why you are comparing it to normal C-class to C450 AMG. C450 AMG is just like a 335IS. It is NOT AMG. So of course it does not have significant difference. Thought about that?
Cause in the end, you want something different, something that stands out? otherwise you wouldnt be botherd with the M2 exterior look...

And take a look at the AMG version, no big difference there either lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #8
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
yup it is AMarketingG
To your initial point...

Many people are dissatisfied with the outcome of the M2. Scroll through the other threads as evidence. Until you see one in the flesh and have a chance to drive it, I'd suggest withholding final judgment. I sure am.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

Appreciate 1
      11-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #9
E82135i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Cause in the end, you want something different, something that stands out? otherwise you wouldnt be botherd with the M2 exterior look...

And take a look at the AMG version, no big difference there either lol.

No, sorry for the confusion. I wanted something more sporty than 135i. M2 is the solution for I. However, M2 did not meet my expectations (design wise). I guess I expected more just like the renderings.

The solution to my problem is M3/M4, If my wife allows.

I was looking at c450 because if I can't have a sporty car, why not go for luxury?
Appreciate 2
      11-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #10
E82135i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
To your initial point...

Many people are dissatisfied with the outcome of the M2. Scroll through the other threads as evidence. Until you see one in the flesh and have a chance to drive it, I'd suggest withholding final judgment. I sure am.
Yes. Thank you for your advise. I wanted to see what other cars are in potential M2 buyers mind.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 07:07 PM   #11
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
No, sorry for the confusion. I wanted something more sporty than 135i. M2 is the solution for I. However, M2 did not meet my expectations (design wise). I guess I expected more just like the renderings.

The solution to my problem is M3/M4, If my wife allows.

I was looking at c450 because if I can't have a sporty car, why not go for luxury?
I agree, I expected more from the M2 aswell. But in the end im a bmw fan-boy, so im happy with it LEL.

ah that made things clear. I was like, how can you compare the M2 with C450 as its awd, four door sedan?

Lets hope your wife approves the M3/M4 tho, ill cross my fingers
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 07:08 PM   #12
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes. Thank you for your advise. I wanted to see what other cars are in potential M2 buyers mind.
As in the infamous cross-shop list members love to rattle off? Ok

M3/4
GT 350
Focus RS
Cayman/S
Golf R/400
S3/RS3

These seem to be the popular ones.

Appreciate 1
      11-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #13
jc9elfer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 BSM M2, 08 Porsche 911

Quote:

I am leaning towards getting C450 AMG Coupe. Performance might not be comparable but the quality of it attracts me.

IMHO... I have never liked the "bubble" of the 1 series...yes the 1M was/is a great car, but I personally don't thing the 1 looks anywhere as good as any of the 2's.
The 2 series has a much better profile than any of the 1's and the M2 is even better. The M2 is in hot discussion all over Bimmerpost, but in the end it delivers a very high end product at a very reasonable price.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2015, 08:01 PM   #14
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

I'm sure m2 will look far better in the flesh vs the pics we have seen.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 08:23 PM   #15
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Since you owned a 135 and were happy with it perhaps a used 1M is the best option.

Otherwise if you are looking for a car with full warranty then the M2 will more than likely grow on you. I'm not a merc fan at all since they are all automatics they are never on my radar..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 08:37 PM   #16
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
No.
BMW has dragged out the process of bringing this car to market while still allowing all the details of the car to be revealed. And there is still months to go before anyone gets there hands on this thing. What this has done is given customers time to do lots of comparison shopping with the competition. And the competition is strong.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #17
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

I think making a final decision before seeing one live and in person would be foolish.
      11-24-2015, 11:59 PM   #18
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest M235i View Post
I think making a final decision before seeing one live and in person would be foolish.
Actually, most people don't know about the existence of the M2. The attention will increase after presentation at NAIAS Detroit next January.

Kinda reminds of the 1M back in 2011: a lot of those who waited to see the 1M live and in person, missed out on getting one in the end (except for some sheer luck or extra cash).
      11-25-2015, 02:58 AM   #19
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
If you are opting for a C450 AMG over a M2, than you do not really understand the true nature of the M2.

Only deciding on looks before you have driven it, and comparing a C450 which is reasonably comfortable and sporty daily driver with a full bred M car is honestly wrong.

I get your point. You might expected more, but I can tell you one thing. You will never have as much fun and excitement in a M2 as in any other similar priced car mentioned in this forum topic. This experience will kill anything when it comes to looks, wing mirrors and your initial expectations. I can assure you that

And if you do not like it in the end? Sell it with a premium or at least the price you bought it for.

MR
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2015, 06:25 AM   #20
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
If you are opting for a C450 AMG over a M2, than you do not really understand the true nature of the M2.

Only deciding on looks before you have driven it, and comparing a C450 which is reasonably comfortable and sporty daily driver with a full bred M car is honestly wrong.

I get your point. You might expected more, but I can tell you one thing. You will never have as much fun and excitement in a M2 as in any other similar priced car mentioned in this forum topic. This experience will kill anything when it comes to looks, wing mirrors and your initial expectations. I can assure you that

And if you do not like it in the end? Sell it with a premium or at least the price you bought it for.

MR
Genuine question: People keep saying the above, no one is saying exactly how. Can you explain some more?

Yes, the C450 AMG Coupe is not the sportscar that is the M2. It is closer in size to the M4. So it is bigger and "not M" but none of us know the difference in the driving experience between the two because none of us have driven either car yet. We just know the driving experience will be different. The C450 AMG coupe will be released at almost the same time as the M2. The pricing will be close....except the C450 Coupe allows people to choose and pay for all the options they want. Just like the AMG CLA45 has tons of options to choose from (I would never buy the CLA45).

So the only way for anyone to decide is by driving both. The M2 will be "stiffer" and "more sporty" and "more track ready". But how much more?

During a test drive: "Am I having more fun in this M2? How MUCH more fun? Is the 'extra M2 fun' worth not getting to choose and pay for options I want and options I can afford? Is the C450 way less fun, or just 10% less fun?" No one can really decide these trade-offs, personal preferences, fun factor, butt dyno, etc. until they drive the cars. Just like people who choose manual over the "faster" DCT simply because they like manual and they don't care about tenths of a second in races and lap times because rowing their own gears is more valuable to them.

So until we all get to drive the cars, can you share more details about your comment?
Appreciate 2
      11-25-2015, 07:09 AM   #21
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

My advice to everyone who feels like the OP is not to buy it. Move on and buy something you are sure you will love.

And let me know if you have an allocation lower than 5 at a tri-state dealership.
Appreciate 2
      11-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #22
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594
My advice to everyone who feels like the OP is not to buy it. Move on and buy something you are sure you will love.

And let me know if you have an allocation lower than 5 at a tri-state dealership.
I agree---no one should buy a car they don't love. M2 or otherwise. Can't truly love it until you drive it.
Appreciate 0