BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 on BMWUSA Future Vehicles

11-21-2015, 12:33 AM   #1
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

The M2 is now showing up on the Future Vehicles list on the www.bmwusa.com web site. The European model is pictured in Long Beach Blue. No new information, but you can sign up for email updates.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 01:13 AM   #2
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

A link for the lazy ones...

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...VCVDetailId=72
Appreciate 3
      11-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Thought their wording on this part was interesting. Almost like, "oh yea, get DCT if you don't really want to drive the car":

"The all-new BMW M2 comes with a six-speed manual gearbox, which is lightweight and precisely designed for smooth shifting and purist-pleasing performance driving, standard. However, the latest generation of the seven-speed M Double-Clutch Transmission with Drivelogic is also available"
Appreciate 2
      11-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #4
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594 View Post
Thought their wording on this part was interesting. Almost like, "oh yea, get DCT if you don't really want to drive the car":

"The all-new BMW M2 comes with a six-speed manual gearbox, which is lightweight and precisely designed for smooth shifting and purist-pleasing performance driving, standard. However, the latest generation of the seven-speed M Double-Clutch Transmission with Drivelogic is also available"
It really should have been like the 1M. Manual only!! The only way to really drive a M car.

Even BMW themselves think so
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis///M View Post
It really should have been like the 1M. Manual only!! The only way to really drive a M car.

Agreed. Like the GT4, 6MT only. This is a driver's car.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis///M
Quote:

agreed the M2 should have been manual only. I love that the 1M is manual only....prevents all the softies from buying one!
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #7
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Thought their wording on this part was interesting. Almost like, "oh yea, get DCT if you don't really want to drive the car": "The all-new BMW M2 comes with a six-speed manual gearbox, which is lightweight and precisely designed for smooth shifting and purist-pleasing performance driving, standard. However, the latest generation of the seven-speed M Double-Clutch Transmission with Drivelogic is also available"
Same impression: "Folks, we got a superb gearing package for great driving pleasure, featuring new carbon fiber friction lining enhancing shift precision, dry-sump lubrication preventing sloshing of transmission oil and ensuring proper lubrication, as well as automatic rev-matching (which can be disabled). Oh, and just in case, we also got a DCT version on offer".
      11-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #8
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis///M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
agreed the M2 should have been manual only. I love that the 1M is manual only....prevents all the softies from buying one!
Yet another forthcoming sports car can also be added to the latest 'manual only' club: the Porsche 911 R.
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-sho...to-basics-911/

Needless to say that I like this manual transmission revival.
      11-21-2015, 04:53 PM   #9
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Yet another forthcoming sports car can also be added to the latest 'manual only' club: the Porsche 911 R.

That's excellent. I keep hearing people say, oh the DCT tech now a days are so good there's no point of even having a manual because the performance is just better. And I agree, for pure track cars, DCT is the way to go.

But on a street/track dual purpose car, there's nothing that can compare the satisfaction of operating a stick and 3rd pedal. And I can shift manual all day in traffic, that's not even an excuse. The only thing I care about is manuals make the driver feel truly at one with the car vs. just using fingers to press a lever.

Test drove a M4 with DCT on the street the other day. The shifts were unbelievably quick but I got bored fast and the whole time I don't feel connected to the car.

Kind of related, the new RWD Huracan will also not be offered with a manual like the LP 550-2 Valentino Balboni, which is just disappointing.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #10
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Thanks! That should be THE 911 when it is released! I also wish the M2 were manual only - would cut down the wait list a bit! (And then all three of my BMWs would have been manual only!)

In the latest issue of The Roundel, there is a small paragraph stating that BMW is dropping the manual option for the 328i/428i. The 991R is the way manuals will be available in the future - on expensive, low volume, "purist" sports cars...
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #11
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

So based on the buttons I'm seeing, it does have 'Sport' and 'Comfort' modes. But not adaptive suspension to react in real time in each setting.. just two fixed configurations? Also an 'off' for the DSC?

I'm good with that. Probably not as good overall as the magnetic systems we're seeing in a lot of US performance models but should be fine for anything I'm going to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #12
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
So based on the buttons I'm seeing, it does have 'Sport' and 'Comfort' modes. But not adaptive suspension to react in real time in each setting.. just two fixed configurations? Also an 'off' for the DSC?

I'm good with that. Probably not as good overall as the magnetic systems we're seeing in a lot of US performance models but should be fine for anything I'm going to do with it.
1 fixed configuration for the suspension. Unless you buy the M performance units which will allow you to manually change settings.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #13
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
1 fixed configuration for the suspension. Unless you buy the M performance units which will allow you to manually change settings.
I'm sure there's something totally obvious I'm missing.. but wouldn't a 'sport' setting have a different suspension setting than the 'comfort' mode? Didn't see any 'adaptive suspension' in the options list so thinking whatever this is comes standard.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #14
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure there's something totally obvious I'm missing.. but wouldn't a 'sport' setting have a different suspension setting than the 'comfort' mode? Didn't see any 'adaptive suspension' in the options list so thinking whatever this is comes standard.
No difference on the suspension in the different modes as it has no adaptive suspension, just a regular static setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #15
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

The sport/comfort setting is for steering.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #16
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
The sport/comfort setting is for steering.
And throttle response and gearbox settings etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 10:22 PM   #17
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I do appreciate the explanation.. but doesn't this seem kind of dumb? Not much point to having a 'comfort' setting. Makes me wonder if they went off the reservation with silly heavy steering or hair trigger throttle response in 'Sport'.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #18
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
I do appreciate the explanation.. but doesn't this seem kind of dumb? Not much point to having a 'comfort' setting. Makes me wonder if they went off the reservation with silly heavy steering or hair trigger throttle response in 'Sport'.
If it came with adaptive suspension, all the race car drivers on this forum would have gone ape shit, saying this car doesn't need a "soft" setting 'cause if you can't deal with herniated discs, you don't deserve one.
      11-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #19
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
To clarify, the M Perf coil overs are 2-way adjusable - that is, externally adjustable (on the damper body) for compression and rebound... not to be confused with electronic adjustability via drive mode switch on the center console.
      11-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #20
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
I've always thought 'sport' throttle mapping to be dumb. I see it as mostly for the wow-factor for test drives to impress those who don't know any better.

I wish they'd either ditch this nonsense all together, or at least let us configure it to 'normal' throttle settings in any mode (including Sport+/MDM) so that heavy steering and obnoxious exhaust can be combined with the more linear throttle mapping.
      11-23-2015, 10:17 PM   #21
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
To clarify, the M Perf coil overs are 2-way adjusable - that is, externally adjustable (on the damper body) for compression and rebound... not to be confused with electronic adjustability via drive mode switch on the center console.
That's what I was getting at. Thanks though.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #22
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

This "should have been manual only" and "I feel disconnected from the car with DCT" and no-adaptive-suspension-or-no-sale (or vice versa) conjecture is just selfish baloney.

Look beyond yourselves. BMW is smart. It's not going to build a non-limited edition performance car that it can only sell to a portion of the populace.

One poster already conceded that a DCT is a better choice for the track. Is the M2 a car built for the track? Some seem to think so. I don't. What the M2 is is a car that has the capability to be both a DD and a track toy -- and as such, an auto transmission makes absolute sense, alongside a good manual for the purists who can choose.

Key word in that last sentence is 'who can choose'. My 228i is the first auto-transmission car I've ever owned; all before have been manuals -- even the one SUV I owned (a Jeep). In a couple of years when the M2 will be an option for me, I'll have to choose a car with an auto because of a deteriorating left knee, thanks to a soccer injury and several surgeries -- a condition that was also part of the reason I stopped riding motorcycles. This inevitability used to upset me greatly because I used to be one of those manual-only 'purists'. Now, personally, I don't have a choice -- and modern performance autos outperform manuals.

Still feel disconnected? Go back to owning a car with manual steering, or non-assisted brakes. Eventually, you get over it and accept progress.
Appreciate 1