BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW M2 dealer presentation

11-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #67
nublu2u
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS

The ///M brand is definitely being diluted, looks like the bean counters are having a bigger say than before.
Quite like the M2, maybe the ideal size, but if the engine doesn't start with an 'S' then it's not an ///M....simples
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #68
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nublu2u View Post
The ///M brand is definitely being diluted, looks like the bean counters are having a bigger say than before.
Quite like the M2, maybe the ideal size, but if the engine doesn't start with an 'S' then it's not an ///M....simples
THANK YOU. It doesn't matter how it drives, or performs. Or how the underpinnings are essentially and F8X, or how the engine has may components from the S55.

I mean, for crying out loud, it's a car. Does anyone seriously think that they can tell me that the driving experience is what matters? That's completely asinine for anyone to tell me that what matters is how the car actually drives and performs. It just does not matter.

Nope.

What does matter, if the engine name has an 'S' in front.

Got it.

Oh, I didn't even mention. Have you guys seen the mirrors?

They don't have a little wing thingy.

No wing thingy = huge failure IMO (as a car).

Besides, since when has the M division been about driving dynamics rather than a status symbol? (Never)

Soon.
Appreciate 6
      11-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #69
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by nublu2u View Post
THANK YOU. It doesn't matter how it drives, or performs. Or how the underpinnings are essentially and F8X, or how the engine has may components from the S55.

I mean, for crying out loud, it's a car. Does anyone seriously think that they can tell me that the driving experience is what matters? That's completely asinine for anyone to tell me that what matters is how the car actually drives and performs. It just doesn't matters.

Nope.

Got it.

Oh, I didn't even mention. Have you guys seen the mirrors?

Besides, since when has the M division been about driving dynamics rather than a status symbol? (Never)
Lol Adem you've lost it buddy

Chill out get off the forum for a bit. Haters gonna hate. There's merit and some truths in everyone's perspective.

....some have disappointment in the car vs expectation.

.....some absolutely loving what they see and have one in order.

In short though no point hanging around the boards defending any car to the Nth degree.

I know you're not really mad by the double post, caps and bold says you're on the edge

Let's all have a beer and a drive..no wait not in that order at all. Drive then a beer :cheers:
      11-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #70
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post

I mean, for crying out loud, it's a car. Does anyone seriously think that they can tell me that the driving experience is what matters? That's completely asinine for anyone to tell me that what matters is how the car actually drives and performs. It just does not matter.

Nope.

Got it.

Oh, I didn't even mention. H/ave you guys seen the mirrors?

I just love all these M is diluted comments. Why even comment? Move on to another brand and don't let the door hit you on the way out. News flash, every brand there's a "Something" that's not like before, is diluted, or isn't pure anymore, deal with it.

///M like any other performance division will evolve and change through time, if you don't like how it's evolved, it's time to leave the brand. A lot of other people will see value in the change.

In some way, with how the M3 evolved, conditioned people that aren't familiar with the origins of M to think how today's F80/82 is the definition of M division.

So now they are going back to basics ala E30 E36 E46, it's suddenly not a real M car...

Last edited by OG///M; 11-16-2015 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-16-2015, 02:53 PM   #71
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quasi-M-Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
No M engine, no M seats, No CF roof, No M mirrors, not a true M.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #72
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
LOL. how foolish...

so i guess the BMW M1 was not a 'true' M car either?

i love these amateurs trying to define what a 'true M' is while owning a bloated fat M3 which defies all logic for compact M cars.
Amateur? I've owned over 10 M3's over 4 generations (E36, E46, E9x, F8x).

All the new cars are fat, it's called safety and technology advances, at least an M3/M4 doesn't share an engine with a 135i convertible LOL.

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 11-16-2015 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #73
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis///M View Post
I just love all these M is diluted comments. Why even comment? Move on to another brand and don't let the door hit you on the way out. News flash, every brand there's a "Something" that's not like before, is diluted, or isn't pure anymore, deal with it.

///M like any other performance division will evolve and change through time, if you don't like how it's evolved, it's time to leave the brand. A lot of other people will see value in the change.

In some way, with how the M3 evolved, conditioned people that aren't familiar with the origins of M to think how today's F80/82 is the definition of M division.

So now they are going back to basics ala E30 E36 E46, it's suddenly not a real M car...
M2 is lazy. They should have put the S55 motor in it, M3/M4 seats, CF roof and made it weigh 200 lbs less because it's a smaller car. What they gave us was a lazy cop out of a car. I was considering buying one until I heard the specs.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #74
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadViper View Post
Hello,
Attached is the BMW M2 dealer presentation, nothing we don't know but I still think its interesting
Three crucial words: "Glass sun roof"

Aka moonroof. Insta-add to the options list for me.
This is the first time I've seen any dealer literature with a photo of the moonroof.
(Then again, there are quite a few errors in the document as has been noted ad nauseam.)

Yes, I plan to track my M2. No, I don't think helmet clearance will be an issue.
And yes, if you think 20+ extra pounds will hurt your lap times, you are delusional.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #75
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Quasi-M-Car
And just 6 seconds slower than the M4 at the Nurburgring.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 03:19 PM   #76
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Still the best performing new car at its price point.
Are you the test driver? Not sure what this is based on.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 03:19 PM   #77
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Quasi-M-Car
And just 6 seconds slower than the M4 at the Nurburgring.
And then...?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 03:19 PM   #78
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11 View Post
BMW has lost their way. If the i8 is to the brand a halo car, the M2 is an embarrassment. At least to those of us that have been owners for a considerable length of time and M owners.

I will not buy another M car if this is their idea of honoring M history with yet another dilution of what M means in the BMW brand.
The car was not designed with you in mind. I don't mean YOU specifically, but people like you who have a long history with M products and have enough money to buy their more expensive products. I personally would rather not have to compete with you, since you're likely to be willing to spend more money on a car than I am. So in a way, I'm glad you hate this car. Sorry that it ruins all other M cars for you though.
      11-16-2015, 03:32 PM   #79
technik330
Captain
Rep
Drives: STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
The car was not designed with you in mind. I don't mean YOU specifically, but people like you who have a long history with M products and have enough money to buy their more expensive products. I personally would rather not have to compete with you, since you're likely to be willing to spend more money on a car than I am. So in a way, I'm glad you hate this car. Sorry that it ruins all other M cars for you though.
I think a lot of M3/4 guys are just annoyed that they'll be looking at the same diff heat sink as theirs and they paid $10-15k more.
'18 Subaru STi Type RA #350
'19 Honda Civic Type R #31191
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #80
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
M2 is lazy. They should have put the S55 motor in it, M3/M4 seats, CF roof and made it weigh 200 lbs less because it's a smaller car. What they gave us was a lazy cop out of a car. I was considering buying one until I heard the specs.
Maybe but then it would need to be more expensive than the M3 because it would have killed that car.

EVERY car manufacturer puts cars in the appropriate box and builds features accordingly. Porsche with the Cayman, 911 and GT cars. MB with the CLA, C, E, CLS, S. Audi with the RS3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Oh, and BMW too.

It's interesting that some people expect every car produced to be the best car the manufacturer has ever made If the car is $20,000 less than an M3, how does the performance not slot right into BMW's line up exactly as it should? Give it an S55, seats, roof and the CF bits needed for it to weigh 200lbs less and it is a more expensive car then the M4.

What you are asking for is better than M3 performance for less money and that makes little sense. What you really want is a halo car that BMW has yet to build and, if they did, will likely be a $150,000 car and few, if any, in this discussion will be buying one.

Forums are SUPER entertaining to read
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 11-16-2015 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #81
Bam226
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M sport

Off topic a bit but figured I'd ask. Dealer yesterday told me to be protest to pay above MSRP. Any others running into this?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #82
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam226 View Post
Off topic a bit but figured I'd ask. Dealer yesterday told me to be protest to pay above MSRP. Any others running into this?
Go to the pricing forum and you'll find your answer on the top few threads.

Short answer before off topic: Yes, some people are running into this. No, you should not accept it. Find another dealer now.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #83
Mr. Nice
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Still the best performing new car at its price point.
Not even close.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #84
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice View Post
Not even close.
And how do you know when it hasn't even been tested yet
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #85
Manbnda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 AW

I'm sure the M2 will be a great driving machine, as every //M car is, but I also disagree with some BMW criteria to overprotect the M3/4 status. Even if nobody cares about the side mirrors of //M cars, it is still interesting to me, that BMW didn't want to put them at probably few euros more.
I don't care enough to even complain, but I find it interesting. Specially with this kind of official documentation, where they refer to //M mirrors as a symbol of a //M car.

Last edited by Manbnda; 11-16-2015 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #86
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Interesting.

Am I missing something?
No ///M mirrors???
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 05:03 PM   #87
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbnda View Post
I'm sure the M2 will be a great driving machine, as every //M car is, but I also disagree with some BMW criteria to overprotect the M3/4 status. Even if nobody cares about the side mirrors of //M cars, it is still interesting to me, that BMW didn't want to put them at probably few euros more.
I don't care enough to even complain, but I find it interesting. Specially with this kind of official documentation, where they refer to //M mirrors as a symbol of a //M car.
If they didn't protect the status of the M3/4, then they couldn't (or wouldn't) sell the M2 for less. That would make zero sense other than pissing off all of the M3/4 owners and discredit the car that, in reality, has pretty much defined BMW M forever. The M2 is their entry level car... not a halo car... and seems to be positioned well as such. Maybe expectations were too high or never reasonable?

I suppose they could have built the M2 to be better than the M3 and charged accordingly but then everyone would be upset that it was unattainable, etc, etc. There is little winning in this... especially for this crowd

However, I do think they should have changed the mirrors and seats (even if that cost a couple of bucks more) if for no other reason other than simply to stop all of the bitching and moaning In all seriousness, I'd like them too but it would be MORE meaningful to me to have better seats than mirrors that I'll never see when driving the car anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #88
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11 View Post
BMW has lost their way. If the i8 is to the brand a halo car, the M2 is an embarrassment. At least to those of us that have been owners for a considerable length of time and M owners.

I will not buy another M car if this is their idea of honoring M history with yet another dilution of what M means in the BMW brand.
This post reads familiar, have you ever posted here before?
Appreciate 0