BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Answer to why M2 has no M mirrors, how it is with M buttons, etc

11-11-2015, 12:38 AM   #23
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
No M button is disappointing. What is going to be there in place on the steering wheel? An air re-circulation button like on my 328i? I hope not.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 01:39 AM   #24
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
Lmao..

Oh god..a fad?? I saw one of these camber jobs...just assumed it was a 1-off. Say it ain't so...
Lmfao too funny.

Bunch of grumpy old men. But I agree with you. Why do you want bone chattering suspension, wheel spacers to max your wheel arches, and a black roof / bonnet...... I couldn't care less about the m mirrors or carbon roof.
      11-11-2015, 01:41 AM   #25
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
2. Why no M mirrors? He was told that since the M2's body is so different from the standard 2 Series, BMW decided to not give it special M mirrors.
Scott has also confirmed that the hardware of the mirrors for the 2 series is different to the M3/4 as well and deemed not cost effective to implement that mirror style on the M2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
No M button is disappointing. What is going to be there in place on the steering wheel? An air re-circulation button like on my 328i? I hope not.
It's blank plastic - no button. Refer to the M performance Part thread for the actual wheel (the dry carbon insert).
Appreciate 2
      11-11-2015, 08:01 AM   #26
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Not being able to turn off the rev matching with a simple button or function in the idrive menu sucks. I am pretty sure that you can do that in the Nissan Z, why not here??

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #27
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Likewise, having to drive in Sport+ for the fastest gear changes seems problematic.
      11-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #28
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
Not being able to turn off the rev matching with a simple button or function in the idrive menu sucks. I am pretty sure that you can do that in the Nissan Z, why not here??
Anyone know if a tune can change this? i.e. anyone know if a tune can change this on the M3/M4?
      11-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #29
KGun
Buffalo Bills Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: (2019 X2 M35i) (2022 Z4 M40)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed
Yes, having lived with the 370Z since '09, you most certainly can turn off rev-matching with a simple button push. I'm so sick and tired of having a stick, I'm eagerly awaiting the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 06:49 AM   #30
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGun View Post
Yes, having lived with the 370Z since '09, you most certainly can turn off rev-matching with a simple button push. I'm so sick and tired of having a stick, I'm eagerly awaiting the DCT.
See, there you go, Nissan does is why can't BMW???? I hate when something so simple and one would say necessary isn't available. What the hell is wrong with M division???

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 07:15 AM   #31
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
There is no such thing as an ///M mirror. Do all of the ///M vehicles share a design element that is consistent for all of them? I sure don't think so.

What the guys with their torches and pitchforks are mad about is that the M2 doesn't have bespoke mirrors, that are different than the "regular" 2 series. If we take a look at the way M cars are developed (aka, off the "regular" model), then you can see how many aspects of an M car are going to be the same as the base model. The mirrors of the M2 fall into this category.

Even the M3/4's engine is 75% the same as a "regular" N55 - and you don't hear anyone bitching about that. It's not a big deal, and is something that will provide the aftermarket community (BMW performance included I am sure) with many different options.

And since the overall formula was to emulate the development process of the 1M (max performance and ///M experience at the entry price level), then you have to understand why a shit-ton of time wasn't spent on the mirrors. BMW (thankfully) put time and effort (and $$$$) into the fucking suspension, brakes, handling, exhaust (better than the M3/4 by most accounts), etc, etc...

I actually went into my garage the other day and looked at the mirrors on my Cayman - I am not sure I had ever noticed them before...

Last edited by dmboone25; 11-12-2015 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 6
      11-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #32
BMWCAT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E39, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
There is no such thing as an ///M mirror. Do all of the ///M vehicles share a design element that is consistent for all of them? I sure don't think so.

What the guys with their torches and pitchforks are mad about is that the M2 doesn't have bespoke mirrors, that are different than the "regular" 2 series. If we take a look at the way M cars are developed (aka, off the "regular" model), then you can see how many aspects of an M car are going to be the same as the base model. The mirrors of the M2 fall into this category.

Even the M3/4's engine is 75% the same as a "regular" N55 - and you don't hear anyone bitching about that. It's not a big deal, and is something that will provide the aftermarket community (BMW performance included I am sure) with many different options.

And since the overall formula was to emulate the development process of the 1M (max performance and ///M experience at the entry price level), then you have to understand why a shit-ton of time wasn't spent on the mirrors. BMW (thankfully) put time and effort (and $$$$) into the fucking suspension, brakes, handling, exhaust (better than the M3/4 by most accounts), etc, etc...

I actually went into my garage the other day and looked at the mirrors on my Cayman - I am not sure I had ever noticed them before...
I would think saying its a "M Mirror" is quite a correct way to put it. You are right about M mirror not shared upon all models, but they all do the same purpose, tested in wind tunnel and design specific to M cars.
I owned a F80, and F30 before that, I can safely say that these two cars only looks similar, but they are completely different. The statement of S55 is a tuned N55 is a false statement, frankly before the car released, this rumor irritates people and there were plenty of discussion about that on the forum
> http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=893611
Whole block have a different design, and twin mono scrow turbo S55 vs twinscrow single turbo N55...
Interior only thing you can tell is the same is the shape of the dashboard, the layout and some tech. But DCT is different than AT, the M3/M4 seat is Recaro designed and SIGNIFICANTLY different from the regular seat, leather is different (merino vs. Dakota) Instrument cluster is different, HUD have different view and lots of M specific bottoms and stuff...

But you are right on certain point, M2 is a strategic car for BMW, which the price is more approachable for more people. The way they left out some M specific details is so they won't be satisfied with M2 and may eventually upgrade to bigger Ms that bring more profit to BMW. But lets be honest, there will be quite a few M2 buyers that already have bigger Ms, all the whiny is mostly because they experience the more complete package from the bigger Ms
The fact that BMW did it on the previous generation but not this one do irritate people.

I do remember for Porsche you can spend a few grand to tick that option box for the better side mirror right?
      11-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #33
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

What they should do is make all these things more expensive options that people who want to spend the money on, can. Granted everyone who wanted those things for free would bitch endlessly...

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 4
      11-12-2015, 12:56 PM   #34
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
  • Bettina: "OK Frank, we're running low on cash for final tweaks to the M2 test mule. Choices, choices. Where should we splash the cash on ?"
  • Frank: "Hm, we still got to do some bespoke mirrors. Oh,wait -- no, let's opt for Active Sound Design. Mirrors may be more something for the LCI. No biggie."
  • Bettina: "OK, ASD."
      11-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #35
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:

Agree 100% - including the part about the S55! I'm happy that BMW spent the time and money enhancing the N55 to make it better for the M2 (something which they did not bother to do with the N54 for the 1M). I for one am not complaining about no "M mirrors" - or "M motor" for the M2.
      11-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #36
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

Anyone else notice the M2 won't be coming with M mirrors? I just feel like no one has touched on this important point yet.
      11-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #37
s!ke
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 6MT

Garage List
My question is why doesn't if have an M motor.... Same with the 1M. It's just an n54/55. Not an S motor

/// 2008 e92 335i 6sp JB/CR | COBB AP | AR DP's | AFE DCI | FMIC | BMS Cowl Filters | Stett CP | Forge DV's | Sig photo by jMeas!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #38
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Logic to the M2-
BMW-we will jack up the price of the M235i, Give it the M3's brakes and suspension, and give the consumer the option to buy the ///M performance stuff as options, so it looks like a bargain, but it really isn't. We will also make sure it's slow enough that the M3 is still a better car for nearly the same money ( once you add all the nice ///M stuff to the M2). We will market hype the car to get people to buy it, and then charge them an arm and a leg for real ///M mirrors and accessories.

They really messed this up. From design, to excluding the little things that make and ///M car an ///M car.
      11-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #39
Danyutz
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper

Sigh, people already start assuming and complaining about sound before trying it. I was worried reading all the noise complaints about the M3/M4, until I experienced the car a few days ago - I don't understand the complaining, for me it sounds raspy, loud and metallic like a true M.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 02:25 PM   #40
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Thanks op but that argument on the mirrors falls down completely as the M3/4 also have vastly different (more so) bodies than their 3/4 series counterparts.
      11-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #41
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexResistance
Logic to the M2-
BMW-we will jack up the price of the M235i, Give it the M3's brakes and suspension, and give the consumer the option to buy the ///M performance stuff as options, so it looks like a bargain, but it really isn't. We will also make sure it's slow enough that the M3 is still a better car for nearly the same money ( once you add all the nice ///M stuff to the M2). We will market hype the car to get people to buy it, and then charge them an arm and a leg for real ///M mirrors and accessories.

They really messed this up. From design, to excluding the little things that make and ///M car an ///M car.
Gotta say, it feels true. I was hyped for the M2 and it feels a let down considering the extra dev tIme it was promised.
      11-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #42
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexResistance View Post
Logic to the M2-

You're statements are way too scathing.

Quote:
Logic to the M2-
BMW-we will jack up the price of the M235i, Give it the M3's brakes and suspension
Giving the 2 series platform the M3 bakes, suspension, axles, does not equate to an M235i. It equates to an an M2.

Quote:
and give the consumer the option to buy the ///M performance stuff as options
Oh, you mean exactly how it is on the M3/4?

Quote:
so it looks like a bargain, but it really isn't
It's quite the bargain, given the S55 engine component upgrades and completely different under body from the M3/4 for 7k more than an M235i.

Quote:
We will also make sure it's slow enough that the M3 is still a better car
Um... duh? Do you understand how businesses like BMW work?

Quote:
for nearly the same money ( once you add all the nice ///M stuff to the M2).
Jesus Christ. Add the same '///M stuff' to the M3 and it's up at 75k. So, wrong again.

Quote:
We will market hype the car to get people to buy it
NO WAY. BMW is going to hype the car to get people to buy it? Now it makes sense why they totally didn't hype the M3/4.

Quote:
charge them an arm and a leg for real ///M mirrors and accessories.
No such thing.

Quote:
charge them an arm and a leg for real ///M mirrors and accessories.
Oh, yes, I forgot the 2016 M3/4 come with all the M accessories. Standard.

Soon.
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2015, 02:35 PM   #43
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
It has an ECO mode? haha
It does not have an eco pro mode.
      11-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #44
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
[QUOTE=Adem1534;18901507]You're statements are way too scathing.

Giving the M235i with M3 bakes, suspension, axles, is not an M235i with those things, it's an M2.

Oh, you mean exactly how it is on the M3/4?

It's quite the bargain, given the S55 engine component upgrades and completely different under body from the M3/4 for 7k more than an M235i.

Um... duh? Do you understand how businesses like BMW work?

[QUOTE=ApexResistance;18901411]for nearly the same money ( once you add all the nice ///M stuff to the M2).[/QOUTE]

Jesus Christ. Add the same '///M stuff' to the M3 and it's up at 75k. So, wrong again.

Quote:
We will market hype the car to get people to buy it[/QOUTE]

NO WAY. BMW is going to hype the car to get people to buy it? Now it makes sense why they totally didn't hype the M3/4.

No such thing.

Oh, yes, I forgot the 2016 M3/4 come with all the M accessories. Standard.

You don't have to like my opinion, it just is how it is. BMW should have made the M2 special, sort of in the way the 1M was special. They failed trying to use the same formula that worked for the 1M. The M2 isn't going to be special, and it's gonna be a disappointment to many when the M235i is able to keep up with it in 99% of driving situations.