BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Horrible news! No M2 for Military Sales

11-09-2015, 03:03 AM   #23
sth519
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i → M2 → i4

The english translation seems a bit off.

In the original german video, he said that when they did that initial test run, they saw that they still had a lot of work to do.

Appreciate 1
      11-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #24
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Hi everyone,

Back in 2010 when BMW announced the 1M I knew I wanted one right away and knowing that it "would be hard to get" I wanted to make sure I will. So, I asked for the diplomatic sales unit closest to me (I am a diplomat not from US but doesn't make a difference and it is almost same system as the military sales program) details, later on, I think it was around January/February 2011 I have received a letter telling me that BMW would not include the 1M in the diplomatic sales because "limited" etc. etc. I got furious too but did not take it as a defeat and wrote a long letter to BMW Headquarters and I believe it might be the only one that they received because of this "issue". Well, I also put a fat deposit to buy one outside diplomatic sales program which would cost me around 30-35% more than a 1M under diplomatic sales. Because I wanted one and nothing else, I could have bought an M3 much cheaper but did not matter at that moment. A few months past and I've received a call from the dealer which gave me one of the most unexpected and nice news ever: that BMW re-considered and would sell me a 1M through the diplomatic sales program. They produced a diplomatic sales catalogue and price list which I doubt served for anyone other than myself globally speaking, well maybe just a few others too. That was an honest dealer too and gave me back my deposit in full (was not obligated to doing that without taking a cut) and secured me a new 1M under the program and everything went perfect right after; almost 3 years with my 1M perfectly tailored to my liking accompanied me while I was in Chile.

So, don't give up easily; no one, I mean no one either a diplomat, military or regular buyer bought their 1Ms easily anywhere and if you want a M2 just reach to right ears and you may get lucky as well. Anyway, what can you loose by asking, persistently?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 11-09-2015 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #25
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swadeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I think that this is yet another indicator.

It's apparent to me that M2 will be produced in small batches on the line.

As opposed to conventional wisdom which is that the bmw AG will produce as many as are needed. I'm sure that what they're going to do is simply produce small batches at different times during the year for different markets.

We have already seen in the BMW production about the m2 indicated that they had to widen the line to even produce this car so it's very possible but they're only going to make modifications line for production at different times during the year
This could be a possibility. But BMW has to know many buyers are going to move on if they don't think there is any chance of getting one.
You mean like, buyers that want individual ? :

Yep. I am sure they are well aware.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #26
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
We have already seen in the BMW production about the m2 indicated that they had to widen the line to even produce this car so it's very possible but they're only going to make modifications line for production at different times during the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
AFAIK they did not. They tested with an M235i body with patches on its fenders whether an M2 sized car could pass through the production line. They pushed it manually and it passed.
Width of the M2: 1854 mm (1984 mm with mirrors);
Width of the 1M: 1803 mm (1932 mm with mirrors).
Check from 11:07 onwards:
[VIDEO]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sth519 View Post
The english translation seems a bit off.
In the original german video, he said that when they did that initial test run, they saw that they still had a lot of work to do.
[VIDEO]
So it seems that the M2 body is already physically pushing the envelope of the production facility gear.

That brings me to another thought: as we may expect an M2 CSL to get some even wider fenders (or is this a wrong assumption ?), one can wonder whether it's physically/materially possible for the BMW Leipzig factory to build an M2 CSL. BMW may think twice prior to changing the production gear, if an M2 CSL will only be built in low numbers: is it worth the cost ?

Alternative: have the M2 CSL built at another production plant.

P.S.: refraining from cracking a joke about the lack of bespoke ///M mirrors for the M2 because of the Leipzig production facility gear being physically too small.
      11-10-2015, 04:40 PM   #27
Big Tuna
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Military gets a discount?

Why don't other professions?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #28
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

See also this thread: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1192982 ("No Military Orders in Asia Either!").
      11-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #29
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swadeness
I woke up to an email from my dealer with the most disappointing news I've received in a long time.

"Just received the worst possible news yesterday evening from BMW. The M2 Coupe will not be offered through the Military Sales Program!!!!"

This is so disappointing. I was looking forward to spending my last two years in Europe attacking the Alps passes with an M2. The Military Sales program is such a great opportunity for us serving overseas to own and drive a BMW on the greatest roads in the world. Although I have been fortunate to have many great drives in my 135 the M2 was my last realistic chance to buy an M car and enjoy it the way I'd like. The timing was wrong to get the 1M and now it looks like I have no chance of getting an M2.

For BMW because I know you read the boards...Please reconsider opening up some M2 allocations for Military Sales. The program has given so many of us over here a great opportunity. Without the program, many of the epic journeys posted on this site would not have been possible. Open up the opportunity for some loyal customers to get into an M car.
Good news is you can still buy one regardless
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #30
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tuna View Post

Ask your mom. I bet she knows why .
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #31
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
Hillarious
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #32
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

I agree it was a great idea and did help a lot of people out. It just seems like its really just an after thought now. Considering the discounts are far less and they are less available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swadeness View Post
I don't want to bash the Military Sales program because it really is a great idea. What you dealt with sounds ridiculas. When I was researching the 135 I did not like the help I was getting through Superior and ended up having a great experience with Pentagon. Unfortunately Pentagon no longer sells BMWs.

The program does seem to have been struggling with change lately. Here in Spangdahlem the MSP office is now integrated into the local dealership which should have some additional benefits to the customer. Unfortunately the late deliveries of the M3/M4 and now no allocations of M2s makes you wonder if BMW still cares for its military customers. I know it is more complicated than that but it still makes you wonder.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #33
Big Tuna
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
She said she has no idea either.
Appreciate 2
ried791.50
      11-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #34
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tuna

They protect our country?!?!
Happy Veterans Day!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2015, 06:11 AM   #35
DeltaFX1942
Stormtrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

It's not just military. Diplomats and government contractors who are overseas for at least 1 day qualify as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 07:02 AM   #36
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Happy Veterans Day!
My guess is that he understands that. I certainly do.

I am thinking what he really meant is that they aren't owed a discount - sure it is nice when companies provide discounts for military or seniors or whatever it might be - but since BMW isn't required to provide a discount based on military service, then the folks from the military will have to consider a different model if you want to take advantage of the better pricing.

Is it disappointing to those folks? Sure...but understandable from BMW's point of view - they won't make too many of these cars (in my opinion) and want to maximize their respective profits on each.
      11-13-2015, 03:31 AM   #37
Swadeness
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Happy Veterans Day!
My guess is that he understands that. I certainly do.

I am thinking what he really meant is that they aren't owed a discount - sure it is nice when companies provide discounts for military or seniors or whatever it might be - but since BMW isn't required to provide a discount based on military service, then the folks from the military will have to consider a different model if you want to take advantage of the better pricing.

Is it disappointing to those folks? Sure...but understandable from BMW's point of view - they won't make too many of these cars (in my opinion) and want to maximize their respective profits on each.
My purpose of the thread wasn't to debate the validity of military discounts. I realize the subject is actually a contentious issue for some...to each his own opinion. Whether it's the occasional free cup of coffee or a discount at a department store the gesture is always appreciated. I will say that anybody who has served knows they can't always get what they want. We are well accustomed to dealing with "shut up and color" situations and probably deal with it better than most.

Unfortunately, the discounts are not even as good as they used to be. One of the biggest advantages is the set pricing and not having to fight and negotiate with a dealer just to get a fair deal. Ordering through a stateside dealer would mean I would then have to ship the car back to Europe. After all was said and done I'd be close to the price of an M3.

I think profit wise BMW might come out the same whether a car is sold through the MSP or a regular dealer.
      11-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #38
MikeRR
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
I have to say that I am more and more worried, I have no info yet but If the internal sales discount does not apply on this, I will bail out. No sense paying more for a M2 than for a M3 / M4....
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #39
PeterKBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Couple BMW's

A client of mine walked into the dealership today and told me he needed to get his M6 order in with Military sales before 12/31st. I asked him why and he informed me that BMW will no longer offer the military sales program in the new year. This could be why there is no M2 availability, however I did not have this verified by anyone at corporate.
Past: 2014 BMW 528xi Msport/2015 BMW M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #40
jwang138
Registered
Rep
Drives: Lexus

HORRIBLE news!

Future soldier here and to be shipped on July. Now I may have to opt to 4 series or a Lexus. I went to Pentagon car sale website as earlier post mentioned. They do have great discounts on Lexus. Many at least 20%-off-MSRP 2015 models. Anyone could provide recently actual out-of-pocket price for their bimmer purchase under BMW military sales program?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #41
JetDriver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet :(

I am bringing this thread back from the dead, but I contacted a BMW military sales dealer today regarding the M2 and was told that it is possible to order one, but it is a 12 month wait right now. So it sounds possible. Anyone else have any similar updates?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 09:13 PM   #42
Zippster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2

I did the military sales thing a few years back, its a good deal. maybe a M240i would work if you cant get the M2. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #43
Mike_OGm2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340i & '18 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetDriver View Post
I am bringing this thread back from the dead, but I contacted a BMW military sales dealer today regarding the M2 and was told that it is possible to order one, but it is a 12 month wait right now. So it sounds possible. Anyone else have any similar updates?
I can confirm there is now slots for m2 in military sales. I was the first customer here Germany to get a slot. News was that 4 slots were available for January production for all of Germany That's already pushed to February production. Also there are no discounts like traditional military sales. It's actually 200 more than MSRP. That's how they got the 4 slots. Negotiated to get those cars here but with the 200 "fee". Unknown if there are any more slots and when.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 07:46 AM   #44
JetDriver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2010@135i View Post
Also there are no discounts like traditional military sales. It's actually 200 more than MSRP. That's how they got the 4 slots. Negotiated to get those cars here but with the 200 "fee". Unknown if there are any more slots and when.
That is not what I was told. This particular dealer did quoteme a discount off MSRP. He just sold an M2 through the program.

Last edited by JetDriver; 12-15-2016 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0