BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Who is still buying?

10-14-2015, 09:28 PM   #45
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by blefevre View Post
I assume no one has any information on when orders open up? I spoke with my dealer and there is nothing yet, as expected. 24 hours seems like a month already.

Does anyone have an educated guess on when the order sheets are released?
Swung by my dealership and my sales guy said 600 available in the first year. But it's not going to be limited.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #46
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

I've said it before and I'm going to say it again this M2 has been held back. Performance wise I get it but visually and the little things I just don't get why. For some it doesn't matter. Those looking for an entry level M car for the most fun, M2 is the car. You cannot argue your truly getting the things that matter now here is my reasoning for my opening statement.

1.S engine - I understand cost. Great they added components from S55 would have been nice to get a S designation and unique to M2
2. Seats - just ridiculous, just look at the competition and cheaper cars. No excuse
3. Non M Mirrors - lame and inexcusable.
4. No M button - again why not
5. No M2 designation on door sills just M. Same as 1M I know. It's the small things
6. No Oil pressure gauge - Thought this was a performance M
7. CF roof as option would have been nice visually and suited M2
8. Tyre widths <10mm - just adding this as another silly example so as not to outshine m4

It's like they do not want to acknowledge this as a true M car yet they keep saying it is. If it is then why cut things that have applied to all other current and past M generations. When I look at the 1M it's clear they designed this car to be a timeless classic like past gens. I don't think the M2 will. Things like Analog gauges (oil pressure) add to that

I know some of these things are minor but they are exactly the reason why they should have been included. The potential deal breaker for me is mainly seats and the fact the weight is same as bigger brothers and the little bits listed added together make it less special to me.

There are those that want status and larger cars. That's what the M4 and M3 is for. But for the true driver they want the M2 and they should have built the car around that. Simple.

Final price in oz is final factor for me to decide M2 or F80. Only thing holding back on F80 is $$ and size.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #47
blefevre
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track Car, (M2 sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Swung by my dealership and my sales guy said 600 available in the first year. But it's not going to be limited.
I wonder if production will ramp in later years or if it will remain <1,000 for each year.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 09:55 PM   #48
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
I put a deposit down today upon initial agreement of an MSRP deal for a #4 spot on the list. The dealer shortly thereafter informed me that they discovered availability will be 700 units the first year and, if so, I will need to pay $10k over MSRP to secure an allocation since they would likely only have 2 allocations for the year. This was presented to me as a 'discount' since I already deposited, and the dealer claims they will be charging $20k over MSRP for any other buyers. I'm not going to waste time spouting off about my opinion regarding the dealer's tactics/business model, but suffice it to say it's baffling to me that anyone would consider charging/paying that kind of money for an M2 given the alternatives at those price points. I am holding out hope of more US allocations, but otherwise, I'm out.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:02 PM   #49
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

After seeing it, i pass
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:14 PM   #50
kovsky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHairsto View Post
I put a deposit down today upon initial agreement of an MSRP deal for a #4 spot on the list. The dealer shortly thereafter informed me that they discovered availability will be 700 units the first year and, if so, I will need to pay $10k over MSRP to secure an allocation since they would likely only have 2 allocations for the year. This was presented to me as a 'discount' since I already deposited, and the dealer claims they will be charging $20k over MSRP for any other buyers. I'm not going to waste time spouting off about my opinion regarding the dealer's tactics/business model, but suffice it to say it's baffling to me that anyone would consider charging/paying that kind of money for an M2 given the alternatives at those price points. I am holding out hope of more US allocations, but otherwise, I'm out.
Sorry to hear that but there are dealers out there guaranteeing MSRP regardless of allocation allotment. I am in southern, ca and I have called 12 dealers within 40 miles of me. Of them, I am on the waiting list at 6 of these dealers. All 6 are dealers that as a policy do not mark up MSRP. Only one of them require a 1k deposit but I am getting in writing beforehand an MSRP sale agreement. I spent a couple hours creating a spreadsheet and calling around but I think those that don't take the time to do so are going to be SOL for the first few months of release.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:20 PM   #51
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
That's rediculous. Tell them to fuck off and to enjoy having M2s sitting on the lot for a while.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #52
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
I'm waiting for this to happen to me. I also had an MSRP agreement when I put my deposit down.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:30 PM   #53
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovsky View Post
Sorry to hear that but there are dealers out there guaranteeing MSRP regardless of allocation allotment. I am in southern, ca and I have called 12 dealers within 40 miles of me. Of them, I am on the waiting list at 6 of these dealers. All 6 are dealers that as a policy do not mark up MSRP. Only one of them require a 1k deposit but I am getting in writing beforehand an MSRP sale agreement. I spent a couple hours creating a spreadsheet and calling around but I think those that don't take the time to do so are going to be SOL for the first few months of release.
I hear you. That is the way business should be done, in my opinion - you want your customers to feel good about their purchases and hopefully return to do business in the future. Even if I had the cash to blow on 5-figure dealer mark-ups (which I don't), I refuse to feed into the culture of customer gouging. I will never want a car that badly.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #54
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blefevre View Post
Does anyone have an educated guess on when the order sheets are released?
Educated guess follows:

If by "order sheets released", you mean when will the car show up in the dealer system and become available to order, then, I think you should be looking to when the car gets its public introduction at an auto show and, there, becomes available for public viewing. Unlike the current picture reveal, at that point, the car, it seems to me, is in it's final form and the automotive press gets to write about what it's seen and touched. Shortly after that is when I would expect the car to appear in the dealer system.
There are three auto shows left which seem to fit the M2s timeline: Tokyo, Los Angles and Detroit. BMW has been tight lipped about revealing the actual show where the M2 will appear; but, Detroit, in January, seems to be the betting favorite. If Detroit is true, the car should show up in the dealer ordering system in late January or early February with deliveries to the lot 8 weeks, or so, later.
End of educated guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #55
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
How many dealers are there in the US?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #56
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM View Post
I'm waiting for this to happen to me. I also had an MSRP agreement when I put my deposit down.
All dealers aren't assholes.

I had the same fear when I was getting my 1M. Got their word that I would get it for MSRP in May or June 2011, paid MSRP in OCTOBER 2011. Can't say I wasn't scared and had to call every other day to remind them it was mine...lol. I remember some dealers selling it out from under people.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:36 PM   #57
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
That's rediculous. Tell them to fuck off and to enjoy having M2s sitting on the lot for a while.
That's essentially my sentiment - however, I have no doubt that if they have only two allocations, at least two people will be desperate/eager/crazy (use whatever word fits) enough to pay at least $10k over sticker (I will certainly NOT be one of those two people).
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:37 PM   #58
kovsky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, finally

Quote:
Exactly, it's about 50/50.

Its in a buyers best interest to play the field and take the shotgun approach at wait lists..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:37 PM   #59
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
How many dealers are there in the US?
I think around 350 or so? There were 740 1Ms and every dealer got at least 1. My dealership only got one.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:38 PM   #60
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep

Quote:

I had the same fear when I was getting my 1M. Got their word that I would get it for MSRP in May or June 2011, paid MSRP in OCTOBER 2011. Can't say I wasn't scared and had to call every other day to remind them it was mine...lol. I remember some dealers selling it out from under people.
I have been trying to not harass my CA too much, but I keep asking him weekly if he has gotten any info lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:39 PM   #61
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's essentially my sentiment - however, I have no doubt that if they have only two allocations, at least two people will be desperate/eager/crazy (use whatever word fits) enough to pay at least $10k over sticker (I will certainly NOT be one of those two people).
Why would they do that? IMO...it might only be limited in the first year but it won't be overall. Plus, later models might get the lci with the cool oled rear lights.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:40 PM   #62
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovsky View Post
Exactly, it's about 50/50.

Its in a buyers best interest to play the field and take the shotgun approach at wait lists..
I only got on one list, but I'm #1. I really like the m3 as well, so if they try to mark it up, I'll just get an M3 from Khoi in Cali.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 10:40 PM   #63
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
I think I'm in. But it depends on availability, mark-ups (I won't pay these on principle) and what the F80 competition offers. I still love the F80's looks. I don't need another 4-door sedan but I'm Ok with one as I plan to have this car be my DD with the M5 as garage queen (and I guess the M coupe as well).
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:42 PM   #64
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
I think around 350 or so? There were 740 1Ms and every dealer got at least 1. My dealership only got one.
So if the 600 number that W is posting is correct,than most US dealers will only be getting 1 M2 for the 2016 model year?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #65
blefevre
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track Car, (M2 sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
Educated guess follows:

If by "order sheets released", you mean when will the car show up in the dealer system and become available to order, then, I think you should be looking to when the car gets its public introduction at an auto show and, there, becomes available for public viewing. Unlike the current picture reveal, at that point, the car, it seems to me, is in it's final form and the automotive press gets to write about what it's seen and touched. Shortly after that is when I would expect the car to appear in the dealer system.
There are three auto shows left which seem to fit the M2s timeline: Tokyo, Los Angles and Detroit. BMW has been tight lipped about revealing the actual show where the M2 will appear; but, Detroit, in January, seems to be the betting favorite. If Detroit is true, the car should show up in the dealer ordering system in late January or early February with deliveries to the lot 8 weeks, or so, later.
End of educated guess.
Thanks. I really have no idea how BMW times ordering info. I followed the F80 release, but didn't pay much attention after it was "released" until people started taking deliveries because I wasn't buying one. I am new to this "buying a new and in-demand car" thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:45 PM   #66
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM View Post
I have been trying to not harass my CA too much, but I keep asking him weekly if he has gotten any info lol.
Well, my case was also helped by the fact that my wife ordered her 5 series the same day I put the deposit down on the 1M...lol! I might have to use that tactic again to get close to invoice pricing on the M2, already have the spot just don't want to pay msrp this time. The only reason I paid MSRP on the 1M was becasue I was too exited that they had an allocation so late in the game and tipped them off avout the car...they didnt even know what it was. Anyway, she is thinking about selling her 5 and leasing an X3...think it will work as a bargaining chip?
Appreciate 0