BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW M2 side mirrors: a solution for 'the missing stubby' ?

View Poll Results: M2 side mirrors
BMW M has done the right job 34 15.81%
BMW M could have done a better job 181 84.19%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

10-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #67
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpdbeemer
Seriously. Anyone rioting over the presence or absence of said mirrors I think is buying the wrong car. Do the mirrors make them corner better? Stop better? Add torque? HP? If so I am in.
I heard at least 10hp more and reduces drag a little
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #68
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpdbeemer
Seriously. Anyone rioting over the presence or absence of said mirrors I think is buying the wrong car. Do the mirrors make them corner better? Stop better? Add torque? HP? If so I am in.
No, they make it look better which seems to be more important than everything else you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #69
blefevre
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track Car, (M2 sold)

I just hope everyone doesn't buy this car because of the stupid mirrors. That way I can easily pick one up in spring. And you know...drive the car.

E30 M3 mirrors were the same as the 325/318 mirrors. So yeah...there's that.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2015, 08:24 PM   #70
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
They are still M designed.
Its all to do with the side arm of the M3 and M4 Mirrors not being compatible with the 2er. It was designed to use the M mirrors but a fix added more cost.
Besides a mirror is a mirror it still has the same function.
Scott,

Just who is this audience for the M2? I have a long history of M ownership and I am not at all interested with BMW's new gamesmanship with missing M elements. No S engine, no carbon fiber, no steering wheel buttons, no special seats, no M2 logos on the door sills.. BMW has left off all of the important small touches of M that have been so consistent for so many years.

This car should be named after your other watered down marketing schemes and called a 2M or a replacement of the M235.

I guess it's time for our family to turn to Porsche. You can mark our family down as greatly disappointed in the M2 and we have a 25 year uninterrupted history with BMW.
      10-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #71
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgfunk View Post
Long live the stubby
It just got killed - and so it unhappily died ever after...
      10-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #72
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
They are still M designed.
Its all to do with the side arm of the M3 and M4 Mirrors not being compatible with the 2er. It was designed to use the M mirrors but a fix added more cost.
Besides a mirror is a mirror it still has the same function.
Scott,

Just who is this audience for the M2? I have a long history of M ownership and I am not at all interested with BMW's new gamesmanship with missing M elements. No S engine, no carbon fiber, no steering wheel buttons, no special seats, no M2 logos on the door sills.. BMW has left off all of the important small touches of M that have been so consistent for so many years.

This car should be named after your other watered down marketing schemes and called a 2M or a replacement of the M235.

I guess it's time for our family to turn to Porsche. You can mark our family down as greatly disappointed in the M2 and we have a 25 year uninterrupted history with BMW.
If you want all those things minus the S engine then just wait for the CSL. Otherwise this M2 is good where it is because the cost will be far away from the M4 which is a good thing.

Just don't complain about the price of the M2 CSL when it has the CF roof, M buttons on steering, EDC, CCB, an M style mirror, weight reduction and specific M seats.

Although I have to say that you cannot really go wrong choosing a Porsche. If you can afford it, I say do it.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 10:28 PM   #73
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
If you want all those things minus the S engine then just wait for the CSL. Otherwise this M2 is good where it is because the cost will be far away from the M4 which is a good thing.

Just don't complain about the price of the M2 CSL when it has the CF roof, M buttons on steering, EDC, CCB, an M style mirror, weight reduction and specific M seats.

Although I have to say that you cannot really go wrong choosing a Porsche. If you can afford it, I say do it.
These aren't the things that will make the M2 CSL cost $$$$. Well actually the specific M seats on it might be carbon fiber buckets or something, who knows haha. Will be fun to see the progress/development of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #74
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
This! It also directs dead bugs onto the side windows, or windows down I get dead bugs on the top of the doorcards lol.
They look cool though
Ah, so the decision was also environmental-driven: fear for a class action by bugs.
      10-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #75
Artemis
Rep

Judge for yourself.

M2:

M2 with rendered ///M style mirrors:
      10-18-2015, 08:19 PM   #76
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Top version looks much better to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 09:54 PM   #77
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I can't believe we are still talking about mirrors. Smh

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 09:57 PM   #78
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Top version looks much better to me.
I agree.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 10:18 PM   #79
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25
Like I said in one of the other threads, the lack of different mirrors isn't (in and of itself) a deal breaker. However, the subtle styling "upgrades" that distinguish an M from a non M are always appreciated and help set the car apart. This seems like an easy one for BMW to include on the M2 - unlike the CF roof, different hood w/ a bulge, etc.

Not a deal breaker...but sort of a dumb omission...
Seems like a stupid move on BMW's part.

However for whatever reason they had I have a funny feeling the car just looked more refined without those M Mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #80
Artemis
Rep

Thoughts about this 2er upgrade ?
"BMW M Performance carbon wing mirror caps
Hand-crafted in high quality carbon, M Performance wing mirror covers replace the standard covers, and are adapted to the design and geometry of each BMW 1, 2, 3 and 4 Series model. Using multiple layers of paint and a high gloss polish, these lightweight covers have an unmistakable depth and give the car a more dynamic, sporty appearance.
£400"

(source: here)
Name:  M_Performance_Mirrors.jpg
Views: 2265
Size:  60.1 KB
      10-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #81
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Thoughts about this 2er upgrade ?
"BMW M Performance carbon wing mirror caps
Hand-crafted in high quality carbon, M Performance wing mirror covers replace the standard covers, and are adapted to the design and geometry of each BMW 1, 2, 3 and 4 Series model. Using multiple layers of paint and a high gloss polish, these lightweight covers have an unmistakable depth and give the car a more dynamic, sporty appearance.
£400"

(source: here)
Attachment 1303413
I always love the M performance CF caps. BUT...I never got them with my 1M because I love the VO color so much and don't want to cover any of it. I have a feeling I will feel the same about LBB if I get an M2.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #82
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11 View Post
Scott,

That's so ironic. Do you know what the GT4 is? It's Porsche's M2. Uses some GT3 parts, but Carrera S engine and a modified GT4 rear suspension. Doesn't get all the hot stuff of the GT3 like PDK-S, rear wheel steering, GT engine, electronically controlled diff etc, but why should it? Some traditional GT owners complain that it isn't a true GT car. Sound familiar?

Me, I've owned many M and non M BMWs and many GT and non GT Porsches. I'm very happy to order a M2 and have a GT4 coming next month. These two cars are build to a price and they are both bargains compared to their bigger brothers. Don't know what everyone is whinging about really.
Appreciate 5
      11-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #83
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackcsmith View Post
Not bring back an old thread, but I've been working tirelessly on getting the correct wing mirrors built for the M2.
Below is our latest iteration, which will be ready to buy very soon.
They're similar to the ones already previously posted by members, but much closer the OEM M3/M4 mirrors.
Don't want to rain on your parade, but the problem we have seen with M3/M4 mirror caps is how 'after thought'-ish it looks from the mirror side.

How are yours compared to the ones below ?

11-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #84
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Don't want to rain on your parade, but the problem we have seen with M3/M4 mirror caps is how 'after thought'-ish it looks from the mirror side.

How are yours compared to the ones below ?
Glad there are options, but I'm over the whole M bespoke mirror thing. Personally the original is the only way to go since if there were bespoke mirrors, it normally entail more than cover changes (bottom parts and shapes are also changed) Anything that just changes the cover will look after thought ish to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 06:05 AM   #85
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

A tiny bit better maybe but still nothing I would put up with seeing every time I drive the car.
The OEM solution is a lot better as it is the black frame too and not just the backside. So one need to either do a complete mirror or not do anything at all if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 06:47 AM   #86
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Whilst I agree, for most people completely replacing the mirror is a very costly solution to what could be considered a minor issue.

We originally tried to build an actual entire mirror unit that fits on to the 1, 2, 3 and 4 series mounts. This, however, involved replacing the heated glass and a couple of other bits - which just worked out too expensive.

The majority of the feedback we've had is that this is best compromise.
Of course, I was just speaking about my personal opinon and that it wouldn't be an option for me. I am super picky so I am by no means the norm to base something on.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #87
Haslamhazza
Private
Rep
Drives: Just got M2

Quote:
Haha! No worries, I'm the same!
Have u got a view from the front as well?
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #88
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Here's what ours looks like, ironically the car its on is almost exactly the same.

As you can see, similar, but a lot closer in shape (softer edges) to the real thing, also below.
I like the idea a lot but I am not yet convinced the full design is the best possible set up that could be achieved. As you can see the mirrors on the M3/M4 have a stubby closer to the A-pilar, yours has more space as those the other company. I would try to aim for a design that closer to what the M3/M4 car has.

Also it would be great if the rubber part would have a color closer to the rest of the mirror body, more black. (Tip, you could have cleaned it before making a photo of it )

MR
Appreciate 0