BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW M2 dealer presentation

11-24-2015, 10:48 PM   #155
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Great, ask anyone at BMW M if a 1 series M is a series car or an M car.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 06:50 PM   #156
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
THANK YOU. It doesn't matter how it drives, or performs. Or how the underpinnings are essentially and F8X, or how the engine has may components from the S55.
I mean, for crying out loud, it's a car. Does anyone seriously think that they can tell me that the driving experience is what matters? That's completely asinine for anyone to tell me that what matters is how the car actually drives and performs. It just does not matter.
Nope.
What does matter, if the engine name has an 'S' in front.
Got it.
Oh, I didn't even mention. Have you guys seen the mirrors?
They don't have a little wing thingy.
No wing thingy = huge failure IMO (as a car).
Besides, since when has the M division been about driving dynamics rather than a status symbol? (Never)
Alex, the teacher wrote your parents a complaint letter because you keep insisting in the forum that the M2 is a true ///M car.

Name:  Alex_Was_Right.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  50.7 KB
      11-25-2015, 09:11 PM   #157
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
The 1 series M exists. Yes, that's it's official name/model designation.

the only reason the 1M was called the "1-series M" was because they did not want to use the name M1. There is no further meaning than that...the 1M a pure M car in terms of development, passion, and engineering......probably with MORE passion built into it than other M cars of recent memory.....the M2 is carrying that tradition, thankfully!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 02:14 AM   #158
chambolle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 coupe; 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyal8r View Post
This car is hard not to like and deep down we all want one. But: I really' really don't care for the looks. That heavy front end is over the top. The monster scoop things just don't fit the overall lines. Sorry but it bothers me every time I see it. It is not the look of the M cars that made BMW great. I much prefer the front of the M235 which is just right. The history of M is clean lines set off with some subtle but aggressive features.
I sense an out of touch marketing department when I see the recent show cars and most all of the marketing materials.
It's a bit aggressive, I will agree. On the other hand, think about the E30 M3. Kinda Boy Racer for its time, with that big ol' wing and the flared fenders, was it not? For that matter, the 2002 Turbo was a wild ass looking thing. And then lo and behold, when the E36 M3 came around, there were many complaints that it was too tame, too bourgeois, too little on the exterior to differentiate it from a stock 3 series. But hey, it had M mirrors right? I had mine delivered with an oem wing because it really did seem a bit too much of a stealth vehicle and lacking in flash.

I have a feeling that I will come to like the M2 front end treatment, over the top though it may seem at the moment. The m235i straight on looks more 'refined' in a way, but is refined what you want from an M car? I kinda think a little wild and crazy is a good thing.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2015, 07:04 AM   #159
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

That is a great response

I vividly remember going to my local dealer to see that M car. I had heard so much about it and they had one there. It was the 80s. It was a wierd era for cars. Emission controls were sapping all the engineering resources and people like us were trying to find something good. Porsche was trying with the 944 with half a V8 and a turbo built by Audi. Remember the Merkur?
Bmw probably established their image then by having some great drivers cars while others were floundering.
I remember thinking that the flares and that back window looked crude. The wing looked all wrong on a sedan. But it looked like a race car. I could picture it gutted with a roll cage. The car blew me away but it was way too expensive for me. (I was tracking a car that I bought at an auction!)
How long did you keep yours and was it as much fun as it looked?

Hope you are right about the M2
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #160
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
The problem isn't the car, the problem is that people expected too much.

Name:  Ford.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  22.7 KB
      12-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #161
MadViper
Private First Class
Panama
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Looking back at this dealer presentation I wonder if the M side mirrors and the M Specific Driver’s Seat are things that were meant to be on the standard M2 and then BMW cancelled them to be part of the M2 CS or Competition…
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #162
MerlinPurple
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadViper View Post
Looking back at this dealer presentation I wonder if the M side mirrors and the M Specific Driver’s Seat are things that were meant to be on the standard M2 and then BMW cancelled them to be part of the M2 CS or Competition…
In an interview from 2016, Lead BMW designer 'Karim Habib' said the standard mirrors proved to be more aerodynamically efficient than the ///M variant. I think he said since M2 sat higher than the M4, which negated the aerodynamic advantages from the ///M mirrors.

The cynic in me calls bull... I find the narrative of the accountants cost cutting more believable. I can see the memo now, "no ///M mirrors, we'll produce a fancy set of carbon caps instead $$".

You could also be right, maybe the ///M mirrors are left for the CS and Competition to add another peg.

All that said, I don't really care about the mirrors - the M2 is oodles of fun as is