BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Some mixed feelings about the M2 Design

11-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #45
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Smaller car doesn't mean much I think. Cars are not hit with shrink rays. The seats are still full size. Tires/wheels are still the same. All the safety equipment still has to go in and those are all the same size and weight. Just cause it's a smaller car doesn't mean everything is fit to scale. You just shave a few inches of metal. And unfortunately in the M2 there is more metal than carbon fiber, unlike the M3 which was given a lot of minor weight reducing parts to generate an ultimately lighter vehicle.
Valid points. Let 's blame it on the M2 side mirrors.
      11-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #46
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Not significantly lighter for being what is deemed a "smaller, lighter car".
I just test drove an M3 with the 6 speed manual,an M4 with the DCT and a M235i with the automatic tranny this week.

You can definitely feel the size and weight difference in the M235i compared to the other two cars.

The M4 and M3 felt very heavy and just weren't very much fun when I was aggressively cornering at high speeds.The M3 felt a little bit lighter than the M4 and it does corner better than the M4 but it is still way to big for me.

When you get into the M235i after driving the other two cars,you can really feel the difference in the size.I don't even care about the seats not being true M seats anymore.They hold you firmly in place through the corners and are very comfortable.The view out the windshield is also much better because you aren't staring at the massive sized hood of the M3 and M4.The 2 series hood is the perfect size in comparison.The M235i is also much more fun to drive than the other two cars.It feels light and nimble through the corners compared to the M3 and M4.

I now know that when it comes to sports cars,I wouldn't want anything bigger than my E46 M3.The M235i is a little bit smaller and just feels like the perfect size.For the price it is a very good small sports car.I have no doubt that the M2 is going to be an absolute blast to drive which is what I want when I drive a sports car.I just don't get that feeling when I drive the M3 and M4.I am very excited for the M2.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #47
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
I just test drove an M3 with the 6 speed manual,an M4 with the DCT and a M235i with the automatic tranny this week.

You can definitely feel the size and weight difference in the M235i compared to the other two cars.

The M4 and M3 felt very heavy and just weren't very much fun when I was aggressively cornering at high speeds.The M3 felt a little bit lighter than the M4 and it does corner better than the M4 but it is still way to big for me.

When you get into the M235i after driving the other two cars,you can really feel the difference in the size.I don't even care about the seats not being true M seats anymore.They hold you firmly in place through the corners and are very comfortable.The view out the windshield is also much better because you aren't staring at the massive sized hood of the M3 and M4.The 2 series hood is the perfect size in comparison.The M235i is also much more fun to drive than the other two cars.It feels light and nimble through the corners compared to the M3 and M4.

I now know that when it comes to sports cars,I wouldn't want anything bigger than my E46 M3.The M235i is a little bit smaller and just feels like the perfect size.For the price it is a very good small sports car.I have no doubt that the M2 is going to be an absolute blast to drive which is what I want when I drive a sports car.I just don't get that feeling when I drive the M3 and M4.I am very excited for the M2.
I think this is what a lot of people forget when discussing the weight in isolation. The M2 with a shorter wheelbase should feel snappy, assuming a similar weight distribution to the bigger cars, like the M3 and M4. This is why I went with the M235i - I had an e92 and always felt like my friend's 135 felt better behind the wheel.
      11-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #48
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:

Your butt dyno is off, the M235 is heavier than the M3 and I think the M4 is actually lighter than both in the real world. The M2/M3/M4 are not "sports" cars in my book and you can't tell the difference of 50-100 lbs on the street. You can tell that you're driving a smaller/shorter car but that's separate from the weight.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #49
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Your butt dyno is off, the M235 is heavier than the M3 and I think the M4 is actually lighter than both in the real world. The M2/M3/M4 are not "sports" cars in my book and you can't tell the difference of 50-100 lbs on the street. You can tell that you're driving a smaller/shorter car but that's separate from the weight.
The M3 with 6MT is lighter than the M4 with the DCT,which are the two cars that I drove.

I just did a search and it listed the M235i weight as being 3535 lbs with the automatic tranny.That puts the official weight as basically being the same as the M3.I really don't even care what the official weight numbers say.It feels lighter,more nimble and is noticeably smaller than the other two cars,which is all I care about.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 10:46 AM   #50
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
The M3 with 6MT is lighter than the M4 with the DCT,which are the two cars that I drove.

I just did a search and it listed the M235i weight as being 3535 lbs with the automatic tranny.That puts the official weight as basically being the same as the M3.I really don't even care what the official weight numbers say.It feels lighter,more nimble and is noticeably smaller than the other two cars,which is all I care about.
Of course, the DCT weighs 70+ lbs more than the 6MT but I doubt you can tell a difference of 70 lbs in an unbiased test. I'm going to check out a friend's new 6MT coupe M235i tonight, curious how it feels compared to my LCI F80 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 02:01 PM   #51
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Of course, the DCT weighs 70+ lbs more than the 6MT but I doubt you can tell a difference of 70 lbs in an unbiased test. I'm going to check out a friend's new 6MT coupe M235i tonight, curious how it feels compared to my LCI F80 6MT.
For some base figures comparo (1M - M235i - M2 - E46 M3 - F80 M3 - F82 M4 - Cayman GT4), feel free to check post #42 of this thread:
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=42

I added curb weight of the M235i automatic.

Last edited by Artemis; 11-19-2015 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #52
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket
Quote:
Not significantly lighter for being what is deemed a "smaller, lighter car".

Hmm isn't an M4 lighter I think or not much in it?....and the M3/4 weren't much fun when cornering aggressively at high speeds? Sheesh, interesting feedback but ok? : I guess you're looking for top drawer Porsche performance and handling, GT3?
      11-19-2015, 03:16 PM   #53
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
For some base figures comparo (1M - M235i - M2 - E46 M3 - F80 M3 - F82 M4 - Cayman GT4), feel free to check post #42 of this thread:
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=42

I added curb weight of the M235i automatic.
Nice comparison of the weight numbers.I thought the M3 weighed less than the M4.They certainly don't handle exactly the same way when you drive them.I prefer the M3.

At least I got the weight correct for the M235i.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #54
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris The Manx View Post
Hmm isn't an M4 lighter I think or not much in it?....and the M3/4 weren't much fun when cornering aggressively at high speeds? Sheesh, interesting feedback but ok? : I guess you're looking for top drawer Porsche performance and handling, GT3?
Didn't you sell your M4,so you could order the M2?I'm just curious why you would sell it so quickly,if you liked it so much.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 06:43 PM   #55
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Quote:

Will be curious to get your feedback. When I jumped in the m235i I felt more at home (e46) but I've jumped ship and ordered the F80 as I've been utterly disappointed in the M2 lacking features and the BS marketing just topped it off for me.
Appreciate 1