BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Previous 1M owners M2 thoughts

11-12-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
Mad One
Jersey
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Previous 1M owners M2 thoughts

It's a bit quiet on here so I thought I'd give my thoughts although it's turned into a bit of a ramble!
I'm #1 at my local stealer and so far I'm really happy with what I have seen and especially LBB. I was a big fan of Atlantis but knowing the M2 is coming out of Leipzig, I knew there would be no chance of Individual paint. So to get a similar colour choice at no additional cost as standard is great for me (I think VO was a cost option on the 1M - mine was BSM but I won't go black again). The recent night time pictures also look really good and eye catching. I can't wait to see it in real life and may try and look at it somewhere before the expected late April 16 delivery date. Maybe the Geneva motorshow in March.
The one problem with LBB is that I don't think it will work well with the M Performance carbon and black exterior parts unlike the other 3 colours. I'd like the rear MP spoiler but colour coded however I think getting my local paint shop to match LBB might be problematic.
Proportions look spot on and I'm not at all fussed about the mirror nonsense. On the 1M the M3 mirrors looked a little awkward but that was part of the ugly charm. The M2 has much more fluent lines and the standard mirrors are fine.
Interior is also perfectly ok for me. I'm more about the driving experience so as long as the tech integration works seamlessly then it will serve me perfectly. Again I don't see what the fuss is about no specific M chairs.
Things I'm not entirely happy with start with the wheel colour. Normally I like the light paint dark wheel combo (or dark paint light wheel) but I'm not sold on the 2 colour wheels with a paint that has so much depth and tone change. I think I'd prefer all silver like the 359's on the 1M (or a similar BBS) but I'll cross that bridge at a later date. I'll also be coding that auto-rev match nonsense out along with removing the CDV. Manual heel and toe with full control all the way! Obviously I've gone stick to maximise the interaction with he car.
I'd like it to be a bit more interactive at sane speeds which modern big torque big tyre cars seem to totally miss the point. On that topic i'll maybe keep an eye on ECU tuning. I wished the 1M was a bit more spicy at the top end and I don't mind losing some of the low down urge for it. This is against current manufacturer strategy but I found the big instant slug of torque on the 1M upset the balance easily albeit it gave impressive pickup in higher gears. I would personally prefer a more progressive power build up and then mix in the top end magic of turbo's of old. Maybe I'll think differently after I've driven it!
It's going to be 5 long months!
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Appreciate 4
      11-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
Ummm ... there are multiple paragraphs. The OP simply didn't indent the start of each, or use extra returns to separate 'em.

Details, details (somewhat unlike the M2) ...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #4
vugz10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BB6 Prelude, F87 M2

I think the lack of noteworthy news is making everyone irritable
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #5
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad One View Post
Manual heel and toe with full control all the way! Obviously I've gone stick to maximise the interaction with he car.

I'd like it to be a bit more interactive at sane speeds which modern big torque big tyre cars seem to totally miss the point. On that topic i'll maybe keep an eye on ECU tuning. I wished the 1M was a bit more spicy at the top end and I don't mind losing some of the low down urge for it. This is against current manufacturer strategy but I found the big instant slug of torque on the 1M upset the balance easily albeit it gave impressive pickup in higher gears. I would personally prefer a more progressive power build up and then mix in the top end magic of turbo's of old. Maybe I'll think differently after I've driven it!

Based on those two things...perhaps keep your 1M? It's going to be hard for the M2 to match what feel the 1M has given the electronic steering alone. Not to mention the feel that gets removed from these cars generation to generation. It's really never ending. Sad.

And regarding the power, unless the turbocharger is significantly bigger than that on the standard N55, the twin turbo N54 is going to demolish it up top as far as headroom goes. N55s don't move nearly the air in the high RPMs when they get above stop power levels. It's an engine to short-shift much more so than the N54. Hopefully they made the turbo substantially bigger...but if not...don't expect much in the way of power to redline...especially not once tuned.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #6
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

The electric steering feel argument is also getting old. It's getting better as time progresses and there are added benefits to no hydraulic steering...say for instance you're a RHD person and the clearances are a bitch when you want to make some changes to turbos which hang on the right side of the vehicle?

There are people out there who swear by throttle cables, but we all know drive by wire is superior when done right. Same thing goes for steering. If done right, it will be great.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post
The electric steering feel argument is also getting old. It's getting better as time progresses and there are added benefits to no hydraulic steering...say for instance you're a RHD person and the clearances are a bitch when you want to make some changes to turbos which hang on the right side of the vehicle?

There are people out there who swear by throttle cables, but we all know drive by wire is superior when done right. Same thing goes for steering. If done right, it will be great.
How is it getting old if people care about steering feel?

The newest M3 has significantly less feedback than the E90 or your E82. Go drive one. You'd be silly to expect the M2s to be better.

That's the whole point, it hasn't reached the level of hydraulic racks yet, if it ever will.

Not that it will stop me from buying an M2...

But if you own a 1M and make a post saying you care about feel and top-end power delivery, well, the M2 may very likely be lacking in those two categories compared to your current car.

Hardly unfair points to bring up.
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
How is it getting old if people care about steering feel?

The newest M3 has significantly less feedback than the E90 or your E82. Go drive one. You'd be silly to expect the M2s to be better.

That's the whole point, it hasn't reached the level of hydraulic racks yet, if it ever will.

Not that it will stop me from buying an M2...

But if you own a 1M and make a post saying you care about feel and top-end power delivery, well, the M2 may very likely be lacking in those two categories compared to your current car.

Hardly unfair points to bring up.
I have driven all those actually and it really doesn't bother me. I'd argue that they all feel numb compared to the lotus elise I drove once with no power steering. I'd still pick all of them over a lotus elise. But that doesn't matter.

People are entitled to an opinion, but assumptions on how something will drive without driving it are irrelevant opinions. It's fair to assume though that if other manufacturers can improve steering feel through software revisions and suspension geometry (say, in certain P car) BMW could do it too.

Let's drive it first then we go from there

Also correct me if I'm wrong, simply based on marketed power figures and graphs its clear the M2 has a better top end than the 1M.
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post

Also correct me if I'm wrong, simply based on marketed power figures and graphs its clear the M2 has a better top end than the 1M.
?

OP wasn't talking about peak power numbers, he was talking about the power curve, and how he wanted a motor that didn't trail off so much as it reached peak revs. The N54 and S55 can hold boost longer. The N55, with its single turbo, generally can't. If it's the same turbo, it's going to be a short-shifting affair as power will fall off a cliff beyond 6k. Which isn't necessarily bad, but again, I'm responding to the OPs specific points.

As far as the steering goes, isn't the car supposed to have the M3/4's rack? So...

But sure, let's wait and see. However, that's not what you said. You said all the negative e-steering talk is getting old. That's because BMWs e-steering to date has been lacking. That's hardly the same as saying "wait and see" if they managed to improve it over the M3/4, which is worse than his current car by just about everyone elses' opinion sans your own. Again it wouldn't stop me from buying the car, but in the context of the OP, who SPECIFICALLY asked about a 1M vs. an M2, and mentions feel...how can you not make the point?

The M2 is looking like an M4 Jr. Which, if we're honest, is not at all a return to tactile feel and screaming motors.

Oh wait, sorry, this is the M2 forum, so I should just join in the circle-jerk rather than make a rational post relevant to the OPs statements.

Last edited by PrematureApex; 11-13-2015 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2015, 06:17 PM   #10
rosky1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

#1 on local list for an M2 & they want to get my 1M of course (23K mi-vo)...drove a loaded M235 today w/DCT to get a feel for the 2 series...excellent driver in sport + mode...left me anticipating the M2 as a great option in the spring
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 08:18 PM   #11
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosky1
#1 on local list for an M2 & they want to get my 1M of course (23K mi-vo)...drove a loaded M235 today w/DCT to get a feel for the 2 series...excellent driver in sport + mode...left me anticipating the M2 as a great option in the spring
of course they want your 1M. don't trade the 1M in. the end.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 09:22 PM   #12
sth519
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i → M2 → i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
?
OP wasn't talking about peak power numbers, he was talking about the power curve, and how he wanted a motor that didn't trail off so much as it reached peak revs. The N54 and S55 can hold boost longer. The N55, with its single turbo, generally can't. If it's the same turbo, it's going to be a short-shifting affair as power will fall off a cliff beyond 6k. Which isn't necessarily bad, but again, I'm responding to the OPs specific points.
PeteA mentioned the graphs: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...7&d=1444705125

That's quite a difference compared to the regular N55 and even the version in the BMW X4 M40i, both of which start to fall off quickly after 6k.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 12:00 AM   #13
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosky1 View Post
DCT?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 06:01 AM   #14
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosky1 View Post
No DCT in the 235i. It was a traditional auto
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0