BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > M2 competition rear axle oil

08-05-2022, 02:52 AM   #23
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebadboy View Post
on REALOEM here is the recommended oil number 83222365988
Yup msp/a, that's what I used 2 years ago as well. That's the oil you should buy if available (Europe and previously Canada, the US only ever had saf-xj), if not saf-xj is acceptable. Since you're in Belgium msp/a should be readily available at the dealership, we talk alot about saf-xj because this is primarily an American based forum and that's what's available in the US and all of the big name aftermarket parts dealers in north America (ECS tuning etc).

08-05-2022, 03:41 AM   #24
thebadboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i f30

Thanks for the picture, I'll take the exact one

sometimes I wonder if the different names and numbers are just to confuse the consumer.

Often people also think that because it is more expensive it is better.

On the castrol site, I did a search for BMW M3 E9x they also recommend the TRANSMAX, therefore identical to the F87, it confirms what you said on the previous page

Last edited by thebadboy; 08-05-2022 at 03:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 04:22 AM   #25
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the picture, I'll take the exact one

sometimes I wonder if the different names and numbers are just to confuse the consumer.

Often people also think that because it is more expensive it is better.

On the castrol site, I did a search for BMW M3 E9x they also recommend the TRANSMAX, therefore identical to the F87, it confirms what you said on the previous page
No problem.

Yeah that's a common misconception, more expensive isn't always better. For example off the shelf oil from the grocery store like Castrol edge or Pennzoil (shell helix ultra) is much better than boutique fancy name oils that are 3x more expensive.

Yeah that's what scares me, how the after market has a one size fits all and bmw has 2 distinct products for the e9x and f8x, someone is wrong somewhere and I'm pretty sure it's not bmw..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 04:39 AM   #26
thebadboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

for my personal information, why an inaccurate rate of FM is bad for our differentials? To tell the truth, this is my first M and my first BMW with a limited-slip axle, I haven't been sufficiently interested in how it works yet, but I would like to understand what could be the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 05:38 AM   #27
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
For me it says: "SORRY!
Unfortunately we cannot determine a suitable product for your vehicle.
This may be because we do not have a product that matches your vehicle�s specifications, or more information regarding your vehicle is needed.
Please contact your local Castrol retailer for a specific product recommendation."

Regardless I don't use a manufacturers website to look for product compatibility, that's how you end up using some product that "meets the oem's specifications" but was never actually approved. I go through the OEM and find actual approved fluids.
Try setting your location as Belgium - it gets quite a different result...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 08:00 AM   #28
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
for my personal information, why an inaccurate rate of FM is bad for our differentials? To tell the truth, this is my first M and my first BMW with a limited-slip axle, I haven't been sufficiently interested in how it works yet, but I would like to understand what could be the problem.
Depending on inner workings of differential, certain amount and type of FM might be needed. Testing can show that differential operates more efficiently with certain type of FM.
But, I wouldn't run away from aftermarket products. LSD is nothing new. If you have slew of companies offering aftermarket replacement, that means LSD is operating like any other. Compare that to xDrive TC, only few manufacturers offer aftermarket fluid, and that is only recently. Reputable blenders are very sketchy in offering aftermarket fluids if they cannot meet all demands.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 12:36 PM   #29
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Depending on inner workings of differential, certain amount and type of FM might be needed. Testing can show that differential operates more efficiently with certain type of FM.
But, I wouldn't run away from aftermarket products. LSD is nothing new. If you have slew of companies offering aftermarket replacement, that means LSD is operating like any other. Compare that to xDrive TC, only few manufacturers offer aftermarket fluid, and that is only recently. Reputable blenders are very sketchy in offering aftermarket fluids if they cannot meet all demands.
I agree, but if you look at the F8x forums and the history of problems with this diff, it makes sense to be conservative. I am sure that most of the failures are due to fluids with FM being used. It was pretty common for dealers early in F8x life to use the E92 diff fluid with FM and it was causing problems. I would guess it should be fine with aftermarket if it's meeting spec, but since the OEM fluid is good stuff, I don't see a huge reason to change.
Appreciate 2
F87source7251.50
edycol1501.50
      08-05-2022, 01:04 PM   #30
thebadboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

it is never good to leave the monopoly to a brand otherwise the prices soar. Here obviously everything is done to confuse everyone and forces people to buy OEM. APPLE is the perfect example.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 01:38 PM   #31
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I agree, but if you look at the F8x forums and the history of problems with this diff, it makes sense to be conservative. I am sure that most of the failures are due to fluids with FM being used. It was pretty common for dealers early in F8x life to use the E92 diff fluid with FM and it was causing problems. I would guess it should be fine with aftermarket if it's meeting spec, but since the OEM fluid is good stuff, I don't see a huge reason to change.
Yup, early in the f8x's life dealers would screw up frequently and use the e9x FM booster diff oils on the f8x and that would result in blown diffs. So it doesn't seem like a fluid that would suit the e9x would be compatible with the f8x.
      08-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #32
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Try setting your location as Belgium - it gets quite a different result...
If you knew that then no need to ask me and clutter up the thread
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 03:39 PM   #33
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

I found it out while looking at the Castrol site as a result of this thread. So, I was interested to to know what you were seeing, given that you're in Canada and appeared to be seeing something else.

As it turns out, it provided the same information as I'm looking at. So, that Castrol don't make even a recommendation for the M2 in NA - but do elsewhere seems interesting. To me as least. And, might be of use to someone in Yoorup.

HTH.

Last edited by M Fifty; 08-05-2022 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 07:07 PM   #34
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I found it out while looking at the Castrol site as a result of this thread. So, I was interested to to know what you were seeing, given that you're in Canada and appeared to be seeing something else.

As it turns out, it provided the same information as I'm looking at. So, that Castrol don't make even a recommendation for the M2 in NA - but do elsewhere seems interesting. To me as least. And, might be of use to someone in Yoorup.

HTH.
I guess this means 2 things:

1) syntrax is no longer recommended/compatible which is exactly what I suspected.

2) transmax is Europe only.
      08-06-2022, 03:28 AM   #35
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I guess this means 2 things:

1) syntrax is no longer recommended/compatible which is exactly what I suspected.

2) transmax is Europe only.
I suspect that Castrol NA and BMW NA have failed to agree terms, as the US site comes up with the text you noted for everything for an M2 - engine, differential, brake fluid and even coolant.

So, what are your dealerships currently selling?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 03:38 AM   #36
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I suspect that Castrol NA and BMW NA have failed to agree terms, as the US site comes up with the text you noted for everything for an M2 - engine, differential, brake fluid and even coolant.

Could be, except for the fact that Castrol is BMWs OEM oil supplier now. So something isn't adding up, maybe they're reformulating and we get error messages till they're done idk.

Oil is Castrol (atleast for oil changes, no idea what they sell), diff is msp/a but moving to saf-xj like in the us, transmission idk last time I got oil it was still the German made mtf-lt5, brake fluid same story German made dot 4 lv, coolant is the same stuff you get in the US except it has French as well.

Imo the only thing that is really critical for me is the diff oil and I guess coolant but I think this is static g48 coolant globally so it won't vary, anyways I'm using after market everything else next maintenance cycle. PPE for engine oil, redline dctf for the trans, ate type 200 for the brake fluid.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 03:55 AM   #37
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Oddly, Saf-XJ was what Castrol used to supply for LSD. It was then replaced with Syntrax, and now - apparently - Transmax...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 04:11 AM   #38
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Oddly, Saf-XJ was what Castrol used to supply for LSD. It was then replaced with Syntrax, and now - apparently - Transmax...
Yup I remember, and you have to be especially careful with transmax because there are a ton of variants and not all are diff oil.

So I'll stick with bmw OEM.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 05:26 AM   #39
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

There are several Transmax products - it's true - but the one labelled "TRANSMAX LIMITED SLIP LL 75W-140" should be fairly easy to spot.

Last edited by M Fifty; 08-06-2022 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Spelling of Transmax
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 07:36 AM   #40
thebadboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

it is not difficult to recognize since there is the inscription LL 75w140. But as written above castrol also recommends this oil for the M3 E9x and since the oils are not the same between the E9x and F8x there is a problem in the equation! I have contacted CASTROL and am awaiting their response.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 10:54 AM   #41
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Well, maybe buy a bottle of SAF-XF if you can find one within date, or the Syntrax* that came between the two?

*Available from Castrol Classic
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 10:55 AM   #42
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Could be, except for the fact that Castrol is BMWs OEM oil supplier now. So something isn't adding up, maybe they're reformulating and we get error messages till they're done idk.

Oil is Castrol (atleast for oil changes, no idea what they sell), diff is msp/a but moving to saf-xj like in the us, transmission idk last time I got oil it was still the German made mtf-lt5, brake fluid same story German made dot 4 lv, coolant is the same stuff you get in the US except it has French as well.

Imo the only thing that is really critical for me is the diff oil and I guess coolant but I think this is static g48 coolant globally so it won't vary, anyways I'm using after market everything else next maintenance cycle. PPE for engine oil, redline dctf for the trans, ate type 200 for the brake fluid.
Castrol is only supplier in North America. Shell elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 10:57 AM   #43
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Agree. It is better to be on a conservative side.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 11:05 AM   #44
thebadboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, maybe buy a bottle of SAF-XF if you can find one within date, or the Syntrax* that came between the two?

*Available from Castrol Classic
syntrax is not the right oil and transmax I am waiting for castrol's response. But anyway and following all that has been said I will buy the oil at BMW
Appreciate 0