BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Dealership Wrecked/Damaged M2C During Scheduled Maintenance

05-26-2022, 12:15 PM   #67
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rk-d View Post
Sounds a little on the high side, but I would have guessed $10k, so it’s not far off. I wonder if insurance will fight it and try to get you to go to some broke down shop. Might need to lawyer up.
Why? Insurance cant force you to go to some broke down shop
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2022, 12:26 PM   #68
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Why? Insurance cant force you to go to some broke down shop
You’re right. My mistake. They can route you to their preferred shop, but can’t force it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 12:28 PM   #69
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
United BMW in Roswell, GA.

Granted, not all dealerships are the same. The dealer I ordered my car from, BMW of Ridgefield (in Connecticut), was honest from the moment I walked in to order and went above and beyond for me post delivery.

United left a very bad taste in my mouth and I decided not to mess with any/all Atlanta BMW dealerships anymore and just go with my indy guy for maintenance.

More peace of mind for me.

I have a suspicion United does not like doing the "free maintenance" on warranty vehicles because there's no incentive for them to do it.

(Sorry for hijacking thread, OP - really shitty thing to have happened to you and it sucks seeing pics of all the damage. Hopefully you can get this all resolved soon, and the dealership pays you a shit ton for compensation.)
!!!

I’ve purchased from United, but never used their shop (bought from out of town).

Good to know.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 01:40 PM   #70
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
I was finally able to speak to an adjuster with my own insurance company (without filing a claim just yet). I've been trying to do my research and understand the pros/cons between filing on my own insurance or on the at-fault party. He informed me that if I wanted to file a claim, there are several ways to go about it. If I did it through my own insurance, the process would be a lot smoother, I'd have more oversight, etc. However, I would not be able to file a diminishing value claim and would have to do that directly with the at-fault party. If I filed against their insurance, they would have to take care of everything.

Also received confirmation that even if I filed a claim under their insurance, they cannot force me to a repair shop of their choosing. Which is good, because I already have the shop at a certified BMW collision repair shop that I trust.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 01:54 PM   #71
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Terrible, and it pumps up my paranoia about dealerships. It also points out how iffy Carfax info is (if you have them in writing/tape offering to fix this 'off the books' to Carfax it would likely be a big bargaining chip). I'd try to get the dealership to comp you something in lieu of diminished value, since insurance companies are pretty good at dismissing those claims. Would be good to have a respected indie shop look it over for damage before you finalize things. I'd also suspect that no 'self respecting' dealership would sell you just one new rear tire at 10k miles, out of "concern for mismatched diameters damaging the rear diff", so be sure they spring for both rears. They are giving you a loaner in the interim, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 01:58 PM   #72
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopropham View Post
I was finally able to speak to an adjuster with my own insurance company (without filing a claim just yet). I've been trying to do my research and understand the pros/cons between filing on my own insurance or on the at-fault party. He informed me that if I wanted to file a claim, there are several ways to go about it. If I did it through my own insurance, the process would be a lot smoother, I'd have more oversight, etc. However, I would not be able to file a diminishing value claim and would have to do that directly with the at-fault party. If I filed against their insurance, they would have to take care of everything.

Also received confirmation that even if I filed a claim under their insurance, they cannot force me to a repair shop of their choosing. Which is good, because I already have the shop at a certified BMW collision repair shop that I trust.
No insurance co. can force you to repair anywhere you dont want to, at least not in the DMV. Dispelling another myth about insurance...you can have your insurance company fight for you, and you never have to deal with the other company, even when you are not at fault. Your insurance will get you paid by them and it wont cost you anything. Thats what your insurance company is for. If you want to go after diminished value, you can pursue it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 06:11 AM   #73
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Stories like this is why I have auto repair shop trust issues:

https://youtube.com/shorts/5f_451pPRMc?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 06:18 AM   #74
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

I remember a similar story on Rennlist that snowballed into an article on Jalopnik. If I recall correctly, the owner finally had to get lawyers involved. I believe the car was totaled.

https://jalopnik.com/shop-owner-smas...-in-1792973207
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 06:56 AM   #75
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
I remember a similar story on Rennlist that snowballed into an article on Jalopnik.
I remember that one too. Reminded me of the M5 at a BMW dealer in Texas:

https://www.m5board.com/threads/auto...months.162450/

Which also spawned an article on Jalopnik: https://jalopnik.com/bmw-dealer-cras...of-27k-5628903

Dealership also claimed 20mph slide into curb when there was 30K in damages.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 06:58 AM   #76
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Man i'd be livid... I'd ask for 2 brand new wheels with tires and a brand new lip... the front bumper damage is luckily in an area that i feel could be touched up quick by a pro shop... as long as everything is fine, I'd do everything to make sure nothing was on the carfax as technically that doesn't look like accident damage to me there (one could argue it's a curb scrape or something).

I also don't trust dealerships...my local dealer refused to install my brand new 763M wheels (which are of course BMW made and bought from a dealership) because they refused to take responsibility in that they could damage the wheel when putting on the tire. When asked, how they deal with m5 and other expensive wheels... they simply said other customers aren't as picky... let's just say I was blown away lol.
      05-27-2022, 07:32 AM   #77
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Man i'd be livid... I'd ask for 2 brand new wheels with tires and a brand new lip... the front bumper damage is luckily in an area that i feel could be touched up quick by a pro shop... as long as everything is fine, I'd do everything to make sure nothing was on the carfax as technically that doesn't look like accident damage to me there (one could argue it's a curb scrape or something).

I also don't trust dealerships...my local dealer refused to install my brand new 763M wheels (which are of course BMW made and bought from a dealership) because they refused to take responsibility in that they could damage the wheel when putting on the tire. When asked, how they deal with m5 and other expensive wheels... they simply said other customers aren't as picky... let's just say I was blown away lol.
$13k quote from a certified BMW collision center...it better be on the Carfax!

I've had dealerships balk at mounting HREs - they actually subcontracted to a local tire/wheel shop who had experience and did a great job. I appreciated that - I'd rather they admit their limitations than hack through the job.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 07:39 AM   #78
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
$13k quote from a certified BMW collision center...it better be on the Carfax!

I've had dealerships balk at mounting HREs - they actually subcontracted to a local tire/wheel shop who had experience and did a great job. I appreciated that - I'd rather they admit their limitations than hack through the job.
I am having a real tough time gauging what repair work would be $13k here... again, it's a BMW dealer so there is that... reading the estimate, it sounds like most parts are directly replaceable and the only thing that necessitates "true" repair work is the front bumper and painting. This car could be made like new within 2 days and it would be no different than a factory car... the only what if, is the alignment and axles being inspected. Outside of that, it just comes down to, do you want to tarnish its history for little reason?

Also... HREs are aftermarket wheels that often come with non standard offsets... I don't blame a dealer not wanting to do that... OEM BMW wheels that come on a BMW M2 CS is highly questionable.
      05-27-2022, 08:18 AM   #79
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
I am having a real tough time gauging what repair work would be $13k here... again, it's a BMW dealer so there is that... reading the estimate, it sounds like most parts are directly replaceable and the only thing that necessitates "true" repair work is the front bumper and painting. This car could be made like new within 2 days and it would be no different than a factory car... the only what if, is the alignment and axles being inspected. Outside of that, it just comes down to, do you want to tarnish its history for little reason?

Also... HREs are aftermarket wheels that often come with non standard offsets... I don't blame a dealer not wanting to do that... OEM BMW wheels that come on a BMW M2 CS is highly questionable.
From OP
- replacement of right side oil aux radiator (apparently the bracket holding this broke, and you can't just order the bracket)
- various underside belly covers
I'm guessing the oil cooler is not cheap, but yeah I hear ya. BMW dealers cost should not be $13k
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 08:29 AM   #80
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Shop is quoting retail prices for the parts and their shop rates are obviously on the high end. They are also likely quoting book time for each individual item and there are a lot of items on that list.

Just eyeballing it

788M wheels are $2500 for two
Mount/balance: $50-100 per wheel
Tires are $600 for two
Full bumper cover and all the little parts that they'll likely want to replace is probably $2-3k if I had to guess
Paint is probably $1-1.5k
Radiator is ~$300?
Carbon lip $1700
Exhaust tip: few hundred?
Various parts, belly pan, etc: ~$500?
Alignment: $200? Variable

Individual book time for installing each item likely adds up to quite a bit. It's not like the shop will quote real world shop time. And their shop rates are likely on the high end of market value.

$13k starts to make some sense if you add it all up. And yes, I know you can do all this cheaper, but these collision centers aren't interested in low balling the insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 09:31 AM   #81
Poochie
United_States
Rep

That repair and parts estimate of 13k is so exaggerated, you guys are dreaming in a deep sleep if you believe any reasonable insurance company will agree to pay out even half that amount.

And you can't make a claim with the dealership's insurance carrier directly, that's not how it works.
The dealership as a business has coverage for narrow circumstances such as this under a policy called a "Garage Liability Insurance" but you would either have to sue the dealership directly or file a claim under your own personal collision coverage and have them recoup the cost and whatever your deductible is under a process called subrogation.

Me, personally, would avoid filing a collision insurance claim for anything related to clean-cut cosmetic damage such as this and try settle with the dealership management directly, especially since they already accepted responsibility. Their is nothing to dispute really, expect any reasonable cost to make you whole again, they are might be liable for.

Their garage liability policy is expensive to them and if a business could avoid dinging their insurance company and pay out of pocket, they typically will, granted the request is reasonable.

My guess is they'll be willing to write you a check for roughly $5,000, cash, just to keep this off the books or avoid dragging it out in litigation.

That's should be enough to replace the wheel and lip, then repaint and blend in the adjacent panels.

This is the best course of action in my humble opinion because subrogation (fund/deductible recovery) could take over a year to complete or maybe even longer now with Covid. It's best to just negotiate a cash offer, fix it it your own discretion and just move forward.

Been there, done this.. It took over a year to recover my $1,000 deductible for a claim I was clearly 100% not liable for, after my own insurance company fronted the full cost of repair.

Regardless, best of luck with whatever route you choose OP.. 👍🏻

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ASAP10161.00
      05-27-2022, 09:39 AM   #82
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Lots of good advice and opinions here and suggest making sure that you understand the pros and cons of each course of action. The dealership had screwed up my hood of my X5M and the GM reached out to me letting me know what happened. He proposed to have it repainted at the body shop they outsource all of their work to and subsequently re-install the PPF or reimburse me for that.

Sometimes a collaborative approach is less hassle and leads to good things. I cannot speak for the dealer you are working with of course.

Good luck and sorry to hear about this. Remember that it is frustrating and may make you feel angry - but it is a car that can be fixed to be perfect if done right.
Appreciate 1
Kingpin4386.50
      05-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #83
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
That repair and parts estimate of 13k is so exaggerated, you guys are dreaming in a deep sleep if you believe any reasonable insurance company will agree to pay out even half that amount.

And you can't make a claim with the dealership's insurance carrier directly, that's not how it works.
The dealership as a business has coverage for certain circumstances such as this under a policy called a "Garage Liability Insurance" but you would either have to sue the dealership directly or file a claim under your personal collision coverage and have them recoup the cost and whatever your deductible under a process called subrogation.

Me, personally, would avoid filing a collision insurance claim for anything related related to clean-cut cosmetic damage such as this and try settle with the dealership management directly, especially since they already accepted responsibility.

Their garage policy is expensive and if a business could avoid dinging their insurance company and pay out of pocket, they typically will. My guess they'll be willing to write you a check for roughly $5,000 cash, just to keep this off the books or avoid dragging it out in litigation.

That's should be enough to replace the wheel and lip, then repaint and blend in the adjacent panels.

This is the best course of action in my humble opinion because subrogation (fund/deductible recovery) could take over a year to complete or maybe even longer now with Covid. It's best to just negotiate a cash offer, fix it it your own discretion and just move forward.

Been there, done this.. It took over a year to recover my $1,000 deductible for a claim I was clearly 100% not liable for, after my own insurance company fronted the full cost of repair.

Regardless, best of luck with whatever route you choose OP.. ����

Wheels, tires and carbon lip alone are almost $5k MSRP. That doesn't count the rest of it, not to mention shop costs.

I would not accept $5k as a settlement. I would want everything damage replaced with OEM - or at the very least, the equivalent monetary value. No Bondo repairs.

This is why lawyers exist.

Last edited by Rk-d; 05-27-2022 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 10:17 AM   #84
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I also would not accept 5k but I think poochie mentions 5k as in the wheels would be fixed and bumper repainted not brand new wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 10:41 AM   #85
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
I also would not accept 5k but I think poochie mentions 5k as in the wheels would be fixed and bumper repainted not brand new wheels.
I get that and I agree - you can fix up this car for cheaper.

My perspective - the dealership messed this car up through sheer negligence. They don't get a pass and their insurance needs to pay to make OP whole.

Whether I repaired the car with refinishing rather than parts replacement doesn't really matter, as much as being compensated for the retail cost of OEM part replacement and shop time to install it. I would want the option to do full R/R and being covered for the cost of that at a certified BMW collision center.

Just my opinion, anyone is free to disagree.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 10:45 AM   #86
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Wheels, tires and carbon lip alone are almost $5k MSRP. That doesn't count the rest of it, not to mention shop costs.

I would not accept $5k as a settlement. I would want everything damage replaced with OEM - or at the very least, the equivalent monetary value. No hack job Bondo repairs.

This is why lawyers exist.
That was a ballpark figure, I could be off but I priced the lip for about $2,000, wheel is another $900, add $500 for a tire and installation, give or take for painting. Since none of the bumper clips or hooks snapped, they will not agree to fully replace it.

From what I see, the bumper is pretty much still intact but cosmetically damaged, so it can be primed and repainted. Unless an impartial repair shop can justify why a full bumper replacement is necessary, the insurance adjuster will only write an estimate for repainting it back and blend in the connecting panels.

Either his own or the dealership's insurance company is not just going to write a blank check for whatever he request; they are going to look at it thought an objective lens and determine what a judge or panel on arbitration will consider a reasonable cost to make him whole again and write an estimate accordingly.

Since no one is injured physically, you can't add for bodily or punitive damages. This is clean-cut case of body damage.

If he refused to accept their offer, his choices are to either sue them personally in civil court but then he would have to pay up front and out of pocket for his own lawyer - which would probably exceed $7,000 anyways and be tied up for months on the court docket. Or, file a claim through his own insurance company and let them hash it out with the dealership personally or with their indemnity coverage.

However, if he goes through his own insurance company, they will treat it as any other claim from an objective point of view and still only write an repair estimate for what they deem is a reasonable cost to repair this under his collision coverage, then try to recover their expenses through arbitration.

If every insurance companies paid for whatever a customer demanded without looking at it through a fair assessment of what they could possible recover from the liable party, then would risk having to absorb that excessive cost on their own if it goes to arbitration or the liable party disputes the amount.
Appreciate 2
BigKutta3903.50
ASAP10161.00
      05-27-2022, 10:46 AM   #87
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Which dealer was this?
United BMW in Roswell, GA.

Granted, not all dealerships are the same. The dealer I ordered my car from, BMW of Ridgefield (in Connecticut), was honest from the moment I walked in to order and went above and beyond for me post delivery.

United left a very bad taste in my mouth and I decided not to mess with any/all Atlanta BMW dealerships anymore and just go with my indy guy for maintenance.

More peace of mind for me.

I have a suspicion United does not like doing the "free maintenance" on warranty vehicles because there's no incentive for them to do it.

(Sorry for hijacking thread, OP - really shitty thing to have happened to you and it sucks seeing pics of all the damage. Hopefully you can get this all resolved soon, and the dealership pays you a shit ton for compensation.)
I also go to Ridgefield. The best dealership in the NE. I started going there after reading all the customer horror stories regarding NY Metro area stealerships.

Ridgefield has always been straight up and honest with me. They also get a bunch of M cars in and I always see M's for sale so an M2 isn't as much of a novelty. I've also seen some Z8's, plenty of M5's etc so I love that no one bats an eye when an m2 comp is getting serviced.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 01:57 PM   #88
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Update: I reached out to the dealership with stipulations on how they could make this whole (e.g. - in addition to the repairs to make the vehicle whole again, upgrade of wheels, replacement of all tires, cash compensation etc.), and they said they could do everything but the cash compensation and the upgrade of the wheels/tires.. so pretty much they just want to repair the car to how it was.

Also, I received the estimate and it looks like slightly less than what the gentlemen said on the phone. ~11k. The number is fluctuating because of some back and forth between what the repair center is saying for some parts vs. what the dealership is saying. I've anticipated that this would happen. The selected collision repair center is not in the same automotive group as the dealership that caused the accident, so I firmly believe there is no conflict of interest.

Welp, I'm just going to file a claim and will then follow through with legal action once repairs are complete.
Appreciate 0