BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Identifying engine ticking.

06-19-2022, 11:06 PM   #1
Atam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Identifying engine ticking.

Cross-posting from the engine as im not sure which one it belongs in but :

Hey all, I have a ticking noise whenever i rev the vehicle to 2k rpm + I wonder if anyone is able to identify this issue? I have seen the vids of people idle making the noise but this will happen when I'm revving while in park or when I'm just driving and having rpm 2k+

https://youtube.com/shorts/9tPoJyT3ijc?feature=share

I had brought it into carbahn and they said it was a lifter issue. Brought it in to BMWSF and they said its normal. I feel like I'm more inclined to believe Carbahn as they have nothing to gain from telling me there is a sound that seems off , while the dealership may just want to stall time until my factory warranty runs out. If anyone has any idea, please share as I'd like to take it to another dealership and bring up something that it could possibly be.
Appreciate 1
sea_m2c82.00
      10-10-2022, 10:34 AM   #2
sea_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atam View Post

Hey all, I have a ticking noise whenever i rev the vehicle to 2k rpm + I wonder if anyone is able to identify this issue? I have seen the vids of people idle making the noise but this will happen when I'm revving while in park or when I'm just driving and having rpm 2k+

I had brought it into carbahn and they said it was a lifter issue. Brought it in to BMWSF and they said its normal. I feel like I'm more inclined to believe Carbahn as they have nothing to gain from telling me there is a sound that seems off , while the dealership may just want to stall time until my factory warranty runs out. If anyone has any idea, please share as I'd like to take it to another dealership and bring up something that it could possibly be.
I know this post is old at this point. Curious how this worked out for you? There is definitely a known lifter tick issue with the S55s.

Sold: 2015 M235i RWD, MHD Stage 2, FBO, MPE, XHP, HPD5Evo | IG @sea_m235i
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 10:55 AM   #3
Atam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_m2c View Post
Quote:

I know this post is old at this point. Curious how this worked out for you? There is definitely a known lifter tick issue with the S55s.
Brought it to multiple dealers around me, all highly rated. Spoke to two foreman's at the dealerships and had them test drive the vehicle. Didn't have an answer for me after extensively checking it out. I decided to just get the carbahn tune as it came with 2 years of remaining warranty.

Few days after that a new video popped up from someone with exact same sound on YouTube. They mentioned that their dealership he told them that it was due to AC line not being waited enough so it is rattling and hitting the metal.

So far no issues with the car and I'm under carbahn warranty so I'm not too worried at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 12:30 PM   #4
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Brought it to multiple dealers around me, all highly rated. Spoke to two foreman's at the dealerships and had them test drive the vehicle. Didn't have an answer for me after extensively checking it out. I decided to just get the carbahn tune as it came with 2 years of remaining warranty.

Few days after that a new video popped up from someone with exact same sound on YouTube. They mentioned that their dealership he told them that it was due to AC line not being waited enough so it is rattling and hitting the metal.

So far no issues with the car and I'm under carbahn warranty so I'm not too worried at the moment.
Just a WAG on my part but the noise sounds more like an exhaust leak. Has kind of a shoosh/whoosh aspect to the noise, not a distinct tick.

A mechanic's stethoscope can be used to pinpoint the source of the noise. From under the valve cover almost certainly valve train related but don't rule out an injector.

Might add my experience over the years is engines get noisier as the oil accumulates miles. This is normal.

Even so it is quite remarkable to when after changing the engine oil and to fire up the engine -- with the engine hot -- and letting the engine idle while I clean up how much quieter the engine is. And because I changed the oil with engine up to temperature the new oil heats up quickly so it is not just the oil being "cold" that makes the noise difference.

Not suggesting you throw some super high viscosity oil in the engine. My advice is to use the oil the factory calls for. But an oil change -- if the oil has some miles on it -- might quiet the engine. By "miles" my SOP was to change the oil every 5K miles. So if the oil has close to 5K miles maybe an oil change might help. But if the oil has fewer miles, <4K, probably not.

Not a fan of oil additives, but some techs I knew advised me to use Swepco 502 oil additive. I had a sample analyzed. It contain 200ppm of molybdenum. They told me they recommended this to owners of cars who didn't use the car every day but were bothered by the valve clatter on engine start after the engine had sat unused for some time.

My car engines at the time required 2 bottles of the stuff because of the amount of oil (approx. 9 quarts) they held. Understand the engines were not excessively noisy to begin with. Nor did I let either car sit more than a day or two between use. I was just curious.

I tried some and it seemed to help, seemed to reduce engine noise a bit.

When I sold those cars and bought new ones I didn't continue to use Swepco additive because the factory cautioned against using any oil (or gasoline) additive. Also, the new car engines were not noisy beyond the usual engine clatter level.
Appreciate 0