BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Don't let that old man in the M2 pass you !!!

01-24-2018, 10:06 PM   #1
chicagowindycity007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Don't let that old man in the M2 pass you !!!

A few months ago I demanded you to get out of my way when you see an old man in a blue M2. Some of you accommodated me and I donated money to the city of Chicago with my speeding ticket on the day I picked up the M2.

Yesterday I took my M2 in for the 1200 miles running-in service. The service manager congratulated me that the handcuff is off and the M2 is ready to be pushed to the limit.

Since I never go to the track, I took the M2 to Lake Shore drive around midnight when there was hardy any traffic to find out what the M2 is all about. Set to sport+ mode and floored the paddle. Every time I floored the paddle the M2 made a sweet and loud WOO-UMM sound begging for more, so I did. Within a few minutes a corvette pulled next to me and Rev his engine inviting me to a race. My young teenage blood took over I floored the gas paddle. to make the story short, we both ended up with speeding tickets. This was the 2nd ticket within 3 months and the COP warned me my driver's license will be suspended if I get another ticket within the year, even though I had zero accident in the past 20 years.

I don't know how other M2 owners enjoy the car with spirited driving without getting speeding tickets. I think I have to set my M2 in Comfort mode for the next 9 months.

If you see an old man in a blue M2 SPEEDING.... BOX HIM IN and don't let him pass you !!!
Appreciate 8
mtoosexy734.50
emargul204.50
DETRoadster11471.00
QM287.00
bollinm25.00
      01-24-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

You should have told the cop you were just going at the flow of traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Whatever you do, do NOT get the Fabspeed DP as the sound and torque demands a heavy foot and twitchy reflexes.
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11471.00
Saanen180.50
      01-24-2018, 10:22 PM   #4
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowindycity007 View Post
A few months ago I demanded you to get out of my way when you see an old man in a blue M2. Some of you accommodated me and I donated money to the city of Chicago with my speeding ticket on the day I picked up the M2.

Yesterday I took my M2 in for the 1200 miles running-in service. The service manager congratulated me that the handcuff is off and the M2 is ready to be pushed to the limit.

Since I never go to the track, I took the M2 to Lake Shore drive around midnight when there was hardy any traffic to find out what the M2 is all about. Set to sport+ mode and floored the paddle. Every time I floored the paddle the M2 made a sweet and loud WOO-UMM sound begging for more, so I did. Within a few minutes a corvette pulled next to me and Rev his engine inviting me to a race. My young teenage blood took over I floored the gas paddle. to make the story short, we both ended up with speeding tickets. This was the 2nd ticket within 3 months and the COP warned me my driver's license will be suspended if I get another ticket within the year, even though I had zero accident in the past 20 years.

I don't know how other M2 owners enjoy the car with spirited driving without getting speeding tickets. I think I have to set my M2 in Comfort mode for the next 9 months.

If you see an old man in a blue M2 SPEEDING.... BOX HIM IN and don't let him pass you !!!
Take it to the track. That's what I do. Nothing better than 145 MPH on the back straight at Watkins Glen.
DrKevM52281.00
MDriven141.50
gds52886.00
      01-24-2018, 10:34 PM   #5
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:

LSD is actually quite bumpy up north and the stretch closer to the loop has quite some elevation changes and curves. Props for doing high speed runs around there.

I'm curious where did you get the ticket though? There isn't much places for cops to hide other than the median and they are pretty easy to spot when they do that.

Highly recommend a detector. Cops here run Ka mostly with some suburb cops running K.

Hope to catch you around the city rolling in the depth of night.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 12:14 AM   #6
chicagowindycity007
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis///M View Post
LSD is actually quite bumpy up north and the stretch closer to the loop has quite some elevation changes and curves. Props for doing high speed runs around there.

I'm curious where did you get the ticket though? There isn't much places for cops to hide other than the median and they are pretty easy to spot when they do that.

Highly recommend a detector. Cops here run Ka mostly with some suburb cops running K.

Hope to catch you around the city rolling in the depth of night.
The Corvette met up with me near Montrose and we were racing towards the loop. Along the way a third car joined the race from behind. That 3rd car turned out to be an unmarked police car and he stopped us near Grand Park.

I don't know what kind of engines are used in those unmarked police car, but he had no problem keeping up with the M2 and the Corvette.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 12:20 AM   #7
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Lawyer up and dump that ticket. Best money you'll spend (besides on the M2 of course).
Appreciate 1
jhp61220.00
      01-25-2018, 12:38 AM   #8
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

I set the speed warning on the car the other day to something way above the speed limit so the car chirps at me when I hit a reckless driving speed, that way I don't get carried away and am reminded to back off...
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2018, 03:50 AM   #9
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Take it to the track. That's what I do. Nothing better than 145 MPH on the back straight at Watkins Glen.
With stock brakepads and fluid.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      01-25-2018, 08:41 AM   #10
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 and G80

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sorry about the ticket. LSD is a nice place to go for a drive at times with less traffic but I don't drive too fast because of the bad roads and bad drivers. Try some of the Windy City car club events.
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2018, 08:56 AM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:

Actually the OP chicagowindycity007 has an even better track than Watkins Glen just a mere few hours away in Elkhart lake Wisconsin called Road America.

I've been to both tracks and Watkins is a great track but to get there I would have to drive past Road America which is longer , FASTER, and SAFER ( well except the kink) than Watkins glen. Road America is absolutely just as scenic as Watkins and the city of Elkhart Lake is just as quaint, and there is an old school bar in town that all the drivers head to as well.

I can't recommend joining the Windy City BMW CCA enough , and attending a Badger Bimmers event at Road America is such a blast.

Road Atlanta is my favorite track.
Road America and Mid Ohio are tied for second.
Watkins glen is in my top 5 but close to 5th. Oddly Circuit of America's closest to me doesn't even make the top 5.

It's a lot wiser to pay around 250-400 for an HPDE rather than pay the same to the local city coffers.

By the way OP. I leave my 1M in the garage. I used it as a commuter for work for a week and got a ticket on Thursday of that week for speeding. Since then I use my SUV/SAV and take the 1M on road trips , club driving tours ( a great way to bomb around on roads with other bimmer owners ) and other weekend drives as well as Autocross and track. I get my rocks off on track and when people want to race me on the street I laugh because I'm 95% positive I'm the better driver , and I'm also 100% sure I don't want to give my money to the city.

Going to the track is as responsible as one can be with a vehicle besides drinking and using Lyft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

Cheers
Robin
Not at Road America if you want to make it through more than a day.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-25-2018 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 4
qnet684.50
Ramos865.50
rich8566608.50
      01-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #12
jdarwin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Convertible BSM DCT

Get a Valentine One - I don't leave home without it.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #13
diWerks
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Ha, Happy to see you are enjoying the car!
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      01-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #14
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

It's the unmarked ones that keep me honest. I've already seen multiple speeders here on the 101 Loop in Phoenix pulled over by cops driving both bright red and bright yellow Mustang GTs.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 12:35 PM   #15
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

......OP and if you want to get to a track closer to the city you can go to Joliet to autobahn country club. They have Monday events with Laps, MVP, BMW CCA and others. Make sure to sign up for a track day on the FULL circuit. I do agree that Road America is better.

Maybe we should all pick an event and date and get together. But I do not have an M2....but rather a naturally aspirated outdated V8 Dino....
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      01-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #16
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Geezus Christmas Pops....you better start behaving yourself or we'll pull your license and hand over your car to a more responsible forum member!
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      01-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #17
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Quote:

Cheers
Robin
No - of course not. At a minimum you need to take 32 minutes and swap the OEM brake pads for Pagid RS29s as shown here:
Attached Images

01-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #18
xesh
Rep
Drives: M2 (LBB)

Quote:

Midnight @Lakeshore sounds fun combination. Next time honk a few times at the edge of Sheridan/Hollywood and you'll have another mate in Long Beach Blue join you.

Believe me, I have spent a few thousand bucks in the past year on speeding tickets. 2 cop tickets (one at 35 mph, who gets a ticket @35 mph) and God knows how many camera tickets.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #19
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Get a good traffic lawyer and join a gym I am sure you will calm down eventually.
Appreciate 1
Aronis2277.00
      01-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #20
chicagowindycity007
Enlisted Member
Rep

The cop that pulled me over was not a bad cop. He was like a combo of good and bad. Lake Shore Dr is a 45MPH zone and I am sure we were racing way above that speed limit... May be over 75 . But he wrote on the ticket "less than 15 mph above the limit" and told us he did it so that we could pay the fine without showing up in court. It seems like collecting money for the city was his objective.

Come to think of it, I might have avoided getting the ticket if I had a good lawyer to argue for me. I slowed down below the speed limit multiple times because I couldn't keep up with the Corvette. But the Corvette would slow down and waited for me and the unmarked car to catch up, and this scenario repeated many times. The cop actually participated in the race himself because he could have pulled us over MUCH sooner. But he tagged along and raced with us for a VERY long time. He should've earned a speeding ticket himself.

At the end of the day, I did have a blast. I guess the M2 comes with a mandatory speeding ticket package....

Last edited by chicagowindycity007; 01-25-2018 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
QM287.00
      01-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #21
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
The cop that pulled me over was not a bad cop. He was like a combo of good and bad. Lake Shore Dr is a 45MPH zone and I am sure we were racing way above that speed limit... May be over 75 . But he wrote on the ticket "less than 15 mph above the limit" and told us he did it so that we could pay the fine without showing up in court. It seems like collecting money for the city was his objective.

Come to think of it, I might have avoided getting the ticket if I had a good lawyer to argue for me. I slowed down below the speed limit multiple times because I couldn't keep up with the Corvette. But the Corvette would slow down and waited for me and the unmarked car to catch up, and this scenario repeated many times. The cop actually participated in the race himself because he could have pulled us over MUCH sooner. But he tagged along and raced with us for a VERY long time. He should've earned a speeding ticket himself.

At the end of the day, I did have a blast. I guess the M2 comes with a mandatory speeding ticket package....
I live nearby too but have a 340i mppsk

Cops occasionally camp out on the medians north of Montrose. Sometimes in the parking lots of Montrose Harbor.

I would say every day I commute home at some point my speed tips 70+ on LSD, but for short bursts. I'm not the only hooligan - everyone drives like this.

I would just say it's bad luck for you. Cops aren't there every night. But LSD isn't the most practical racing street as it's easy pickins for the cops. There are stretches of I-88 or I-90 that you can see for 2 miles. Drive out one way, see that the coast is clear, exit, turn around and cruise for 1 mile back. You can't go far, but you can go very fast very briefly.

Just don't be like that Indiana guy in the Hellcat who got a ticket for going 158 mph on I-65 ... "he lost his license, now he don't drive..."

Come out to the autocross events this year! The M2 LOVES to autocross. You don't go "fast" per se, but you get to use that 1.02g lateral g ability of your M2

Lower Wacker is a good fun run. I saw an M4 pull 70+ mph on the north leg before going into a blind curve heading east. I rarely see cops down there, but the blind curves are not to be underestimated. Again... short, controlled bursts...

Oh, and another favorite run of mine: enter LSD wide open throttle, let off at 50 mph... take the immediate exit, get right back on, exit, get on, etc... On the north half, you have 5 good ons/offs. Then turn around and come back Just be wary of the fuzz.

Last edited by harperium; 01-25-2018 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2018, 10:04 PM   #22
chicagowindycity007
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
I live nearby too but have a 340i mppsk

Cops occasionally camp out on the medians north of Montrose. Sometimes in the parking lots of Montrose Harbor.

I would say every day I commute home at some point my speed tips 70+ on LSD, but for short bursts. I'm not the only hooligan - everyone drives like this.

I would just say it's bad luck for you. Cops aren't there every night. But LSD isn't the most practical racing street as it's easy pickins for the cops. There are stretches of I-88 or I-90 that you can see for 2 miles. Drive out one way, see that the coast is clear, exit, turn around and cruise for 1 mile back. You can't go far, but you can go very fast very briefly.

Just don't be like that Indiana guy in the Hellcat who got a ticket for going 158 mph on I-65 ... "he lost his license, now he don't drive..."

Come out to the autocross events this year! The M2 LOVES to autocross. You don't go "fast" per se, but you get to use that 1.02g lateral g ability of your M2

Lower Wacker is a good fun run. I saw an M4 pull 70+ mph on the north leg before going into a blind curve heading east. I rarely see cops down there, but the blind curves are not to be underestimated. Again... short, controlled bursts...

Oh, and another favorite run of mine: enter LSD wide open throttle, let off at 50 mph... take the immediate exit, get right back on, exit, get on, etc... On the north half, you have 5 good ons/offs. Then turn around and come back Just be wary of the fuzz.
WOW, you do have a pretty good strategy for avoiding cop with short fun runs. I got carried away focusing too hard in keeping up with that corvette and let my guard down.
Appreciate 0