BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Rear parcel shelf rattle

06-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #1
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

Rear parcel shelf rattle

Anyone have an annoying rear parcel shelf rattle? If so where did you apply any dynomat or similar to fix problem?
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2017, 05:05 AM   #2
823BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2020 Tesla Y, 2020 Z4

Yes, on certain roads I have noticed it too. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side rear speaker. It would great if someone has a found a fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 11:14 PM   #3
fatumpsch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M2, 6MT, exec

I had the same thing. In my case it was being caused by the covers for the baby seat anchors. I put some single side sticky felt on the underside and now the problem is gone.

I suggest you have someone sit in the back while you drive over a bumpy road that triggers the rattle; if the noise stops when they push down on the cover, that is it. Alternatively a one-person test can be done by removing the cover entirely; if the noise disappears, that is it. Cover it in felt and reinstall for better aesthetics.
Appreciate 1
ddk632583.00
      11-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

I'm still fighting this problem. I put foams around the anchors and put square styrofoam underneath the panel via luggage compartment. It's 90% gone or I'm just overly sensitive.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #5
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Same here. Passenger side baby seat cover thingy.

Single side sticky felt sounds interesting, might go that route.

I also want to see if it can just be tightened.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:53 PM   #6
seanyx11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Mineral Gray

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [9.00]
I'd love to know the solution to this as well, as I've just recently installed a sub and those plastic covers for the baby seat anchors rattle horribly. I was going to try sound deadening, but I don't want messy, tacky material all over that plastic. I think the sticky felt idea is great, I'll have to try that for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 01:23 AM   #7
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

I've had two different rattles from the rear package shelf over the years. Took it to the dealer and their technician was able to fix both of them under warranty:

1. Child seat anchor cover rattle, kind of like a thin plasticky clattering, obviously something loose. The technician put some very thin felt tape in the lower part of the "clamshell", along the edges where the latch cover rests. This fixed the problem more than a year ago, and it stayed fixed. Others have posted this fix long ago so I didn't bother.

2. Loud metallic or hard plastic buzzing on uneven pavement or any sharp bump, which started just a few days ago and was too annoying to tolerate for even a few more days. I could make it happen by thumping the package shelf with my fist. The technician removed the trunk lining and c-pillar covers and shelf, then applied gaffer tape along the edges of the shelf. Didn't help. He then removed the c-pillar covers again and replaced the clips with ones that have gaskets. Fixed the problem. This work was done today.

It really sounded like rattle #2 was coming from under the package shelf, but it was actually coming from the clip in the c-pillar. I think there are two types of clips in the c-pillar cover: small white circular ones with a point (sort of like big plastic thumbtacks), and a larger one (not sure of the color) that looks like a miniature a-frame. I suspect the problem came from the bigger one. There's only one of the big ones in each c-pillar, and 3 or 4 of the small ones in each c-pillar.

I already tried several quick-and-dirty fixes that didn't work. I took off the speaker grilles, unscrewed the midrange speaker, and wrapped 3M Temflex (friction tape) around the large bundle of spliced wires with suspicious-looking plastic connectors. Stuffed a narrow strip of foam rubber into the gap between the c-pillar and package shelf on one side, shoving it down until it was no longer visible. Stuffed some Temflex tape into the gap on the other side of the shelf. None of my quick hacks worked on my particular M2. YMMV.

Hope this helped!
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)

Last edited by Bosozoku; 03-21-2019 at 01:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
alan7467128.00