BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > NEW RELEASE: Dinan Stage 4 Tune, Big Turbo & Dual Core Intercooler

12-27-2016, 02:10 AM   #67
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

What about turbo lag? It's already an issue in this car stock right?
      12-27-2016, 03:37 AM   #68
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

I wonder what the 1/4 mile trap speeds would be with this kit on..?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 05:41 AM   #69
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
I wonder what the 1/4 mile trap speeds would be with this kit on..?
116-118. Yeah, I pretty much extracted that from my hind quarters.

C&D got 113 for both 6MT and DCT with their "perfect" conditions test. Add 80-90 crank and I think we'll be trapping F8x M3/4 speeds. Not too shabby.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #70
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGUY View Post
Does BMW require Dinan equipment to be installed by a Dinan dealer for warranty purposes? Or, can I DIY this and keep my warranty?
You can install yourself or have a non-Dinan dealer do the install and still retain the warranty. The caveat, as always, is that the installation woul dnot be covered so if somethign were to arise as a result of improper installation it would not be covered under warranty.

Also, the turbo itself requires requires factory-level tools such as BMW ISTA (or equivalent) to adjust wastegate for proper operation so that part of it is NOT a DIY task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseyu View Post
Can the intake and intercooler be installed without a tune? Will it increase turbo lag? I will eventually get the turbos and tune as well, but I want to spend sometime on the track with stock power first. It would be great if I can run the intake and intercooler first without the tune for a few months and then have the turbos and tune installed. I am just worried about turbo lag.
Yes they can be installed without a tune. Will get a bit more noise from the intake and perhaps a very small improvement in throttle response. The intercooler will still keep temps down and offer a bit of power as well. Turbo lag should not be affected at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
So what happens if one does only the big turbo by itself? TIA!
The system gets hot and you will be in limp mode / heat soak more often then not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Finally it's out. Epic build!

BTW, am I reading it correct from the graph that big turbo spools even faster than stock?
What's going on below 2500rpm then?
We typically start at 2500 RPM just because of inconsistencies in the lower register when doing dyno passes. The jist is below for a few of the data point though.

Stock TRQ HP
1750 366 122
2000 371 141
2250 383 164

Stage 4
Dinan TRQ HP
1750 421 140
2000 405 154
2250 420 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
Would I get most of the gains from just the turbo and intercooler? I have the M Performance exhaust and really like its sound

EDIT: and tune, obviously
The exhaust and intake are recommended but not required. The bulk of the gains are basically from the intercooler, turbo and tune. I would still look hard at the exhaust though even if you have the M-performance one... it sounds soooooo good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer28312 View Post
Dinan, what are you quoting on install cost for the turbo, tune, and intercooler??
Quote in hours as labor rates are all over the place across the country.

Tune: 1.5 hours
Exhaust: 1.2 hours
Resonator Delete: 1.2 hours
Intake: 1 hour
Intercooler: 4.5 hours
Turbo: 5 hours

Quote:
How much would a dealership charge to install this? I have cash in hand ready to throw at my local dinan dealership but I was wondering what installation would cost. (and I'd assume warranty only works if they install it)
See above response and also first response in this post about the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGUY View Post
I have the same question. Is the warranty maintained only when installed by a certified dinan dealer? Or can I DIY?
See 2 responses above and first response in this post.

Quote:
Dinan, can your tune take advantage of supplemental fuel?? For example e85 or having a port injection setup?
We do not tune for supplemental fuel. If you are going that route you probably will want to go with another tuning solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeru View Post
Many Dinan parts, especially those linked to your VIN, require installation by their authorized dealers.
Again, not true. While we would prefer things to be installed at an authorized dealer as its a known factor and relationships are pre-existing it is not a requirement to maintain warranty. The caveat as stated above is that we would not be able to guarantee labor at a non-dealer however so there is an element of a gray area introduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Only when installed by a Dinan Dealer, of course...
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sud View Post
What is the main difference in the 11.5 hour quote for the M235i vs the 5 hour for the M2?
M235i RWD and M2 (RWD) are both 5 hour quoted install times. The xDrive variants don't have an installation shortcut unfortunately so they require quite a bit more time and finesse hence the bigger install time on those models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1camaro View Post
So, how much would the installation costs on this be roughly?
See a couple responses above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
What about turbo lag? It's already an issue in this car stock right?
Ive' never noticed any meaningful turbo lag on the car in either stock or tuned formats.
Appreciate 6
zenmaster1576.50
BruceM984.50
omasou2085.50
///Mobbin1476.50
AndrewC198910910.50
BAN_M2C4178.00
      12-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #71
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Are the M235 S3/S4 kits new? Searched the 2 series forum for information but only found one install, which I think was the M2 development car?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 12:17 PM   #72
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Are the M235 S3/S4 kits new? Searched the 2 series forum for information but only found one install, which I think was the M2 development car?
Not at all. M235i S3/S4 have been around for about a year. Plenty of press drives on our shop M235i Development car as well. I think that car is still at one of our dealers in St. Louis assuming it wasn't sold.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #73
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

Dinan thank you for all responses but have a couple more questions.
1.Do you upgrade the Diverter Valve? If not would it be a problem if we already have the DV+ from pure and would it work with the big turbo setup?
2. Also upgraded inlet pipe from pure would this affect the setup?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #74
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

This is definitely an exciting development! I'm curious how much track testing went into this kit? Any test time on r-comps/hoosiers?
      12-27-2016, 01:27 PM   #75
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dinan thank you for all responses but have a couple more questions.
1.Do you upgrade the Diverter Valve? If not would it be a problem if we already have the DV+ from pure and would it work with the big turbo setup?
2. Also upgraded inlet pipe from pure would this affect the setup?
1. DV is stock. Using an existing upgrading DV shouldn't be an issue.
2. Upgraded inlet pipe would also work fine with the setup if desired.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #76
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
This is definitely an exciting development! I'm curious how much track testing went into this kit? Any test time on r-comps/hoosiers?
Nothing with any R compound tires but it and the M4 are regular visitors at Sears Point / Sonoma Raceway with Michelin PSS's and Pirellis P-Zero's. Seemingly go through 2-3 sets a month on each of those cars.
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1476.50
      12-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #77
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

This is awesome! Diggin' the 50 state smog legality too. That matters a lot here in CA. Well done!
      12-27-2016, 01:49 PM   #78
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

My local dinan dealer quoted me at $1355 for installation of everything in the P2 power package except for the exhaust (I already have the MPE and this is already expensive enough as-is lol). Figured the rest of you guys might want a rough idea of what it would cost to install. (and I'm sure it can vary greatly from one dealer to another)
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910910.50
njw58.00
      12-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #79
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the figures above ^^^^
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 02:11 PM   #80
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Double checking some items...

The stock M2 turbo is machined and fit with a larger impeller/compressor? Understanding it will take longer, is it possible to get back "my" turbo?

If I prefer, I can use the stock intake and/or exhaust, correct.

Have there been any reported drone issues with Dinan exhaust or Dinan exhaust with resonator delete like there has recently been w/the MPE?

Increasing the boost, HP, TRQ will there be any future issues with head gaskets, driveshafts, etc. or are the existing parts "well within" spec?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #81
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Double checking some items...

The stock M2 turbo is machined and fit with a larger impeller/compressor? Understanding it will take longer, is it possible to get back "my" turbo?

If I prefer, I can use the stock intake and/or exhaust, correct.

Have there been any reported drone issues with Dinan exhaust or Dinan exhaust with resonator delete like there has recently been w/the MPE?

Increasing the boost, HP, TRQ will there be any future issues with head gaskets, driveshafts, etc. or are the existing parts "well within" spec?
1. You would be waiting about 8 weeks but I'm sure we could derive a way to use a specific core if desired. That said all we are re-using is the casting so whether the core had 200 miles or 60,000 miles on it makes no difference as all the wearable parts are being replaced.

2. You can use the stock intake and exhaust if desired.

3. The resonator delete is removing a device specifically there to reduce drone so with that in the car I will not promise anything. To my ears I don't hear a drone with the resonator delete but sound is a fickle thing and everyone has their own tolerances. To date I have never heard of any complaints on the M2 system and drone however.

4. Everything is "within spec" and you shouldn't have any issues. A great deal of testing and key cycles have been run on the development cars to ensure that. If you do have issues for some reason though you have the warranty to fall back on. That's what it is there for.
Appreciate 1
SeanWRT3179.00
      12-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #82
joseyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 17 488GTB, 16 Cayman S

Is your upgraded fuel pump necessary for the big turbo upgrade? If not, what are the benefits of adding it to one's car?
Appreciate 2
No Boost4021.00
AndrewC198910910.50
      12-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #83
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My local dinan dealer quoted me at $1355 for installation of everything in the P2 power package except for the exhaust (I already have the MPE and this is already expensive enough as-is lol). Figured the rest of you guys might want a rough idea of what it would cost to install. (and I'm sure it can vary greatly from one dealer to another)
Local dealer is charging $1400 to have the turbo, intercooler, and tune installed only. That's $5600 for parts and labor.
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910910.50
njw58.00
      12-27-2016, 02:56 PM   #84
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is your upgraded fuel pump necessary for the big turbo upgrade? If not, what are the benefits of adding it to one's car?
Depends on how you drive the car. It is not necessary to run but if you are an aggressive driver and like to do prolonged pulls from a dig then it may be a worthwhile investment.

The stock car has a saddleback fuel tank with a small tank as the feeding tank to the engine. Under heavy load and a less than full tank it is possible to drain the feeding tank before the existing pump has had a chance to replace fuel from the storage tank. This leads to the DME cutting power as the system is demanding fuel it cant supply to the engine. The revised pump eliminates that possibility so the transfer from the storage tank to the feeding tank is always constant.

The M2 and M235i both share this flaw moreso then the other models but as noted it requires some specific driving habits to really need to address. The most 'normal' of those situations would be in a drag race (longer distances) where you are full throttle for a relatively long period of time.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 02:57 PM   #85
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Local dealer is charging $1400 to have the turbo, intercooler, and tune installed only. That's $5600 for parts and labor.
You guys live in great hourly rate locales. Jealous...
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #86
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
My (certified) dealer just told me that he can pre-order the stage 4 stuff just as long as I'm within range time wise of installing, like 6 months or so. My plan is late Spring so my bank account can recover a bit. Pretty cool of him. He even applied the 10% discount on my intake and exhaust (already installed) given my promise to do the P2 package. I'm willing to be he eats the $1500 core charge as well. I lucked out having a certified dealer and wish more BMW dealers were. It really makes modding life easier.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #87
joseyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 17 488GTB, 16 Cayman S

Thanks! So if I plan on tracking the M2, should I install the fuel pump before I upgrade to the bigger turbos or with the bigger turbo? The reason I am doing this in stages is because I want to run a full season on somewhat stock power before upgrading to the bigger turbos the next season. I plan on doing the intake and intercooler for this up coming season so that heat won't be a problem. Now the questions is if the fuel pump is necessary without a tune? Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Depends on how you drive the car. It is not necessary to run but if you are an aggressive driver and like to do prolonged pulls from a dig then it may be a worthwhile investment.

The stock car has a saddleback fuel tank with a small tank as the feeding tank to the engine. Under heavy load and a less than full tank it is possible to drain the feeding tank before the existing pump has had a chance to replace fuel from the storage tank. This leads to the DME cutting power as the system is demanding fuel it cant supply to the engine. The revised pump eliminates that possibility so the transfer from the storage tank to the feeding tank is always constant.

The M2 and M235i both share this flaw moreso then the other models but as noted it requires some specific driving habits to really need to address. The most 'normal' of those situations would be in a drag race (longer distances) where you are full throttle for a relatively long period of time.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #88
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! So if I plan on tracking the M2, should I install the fuel pump before I upgrade to the bigger turbos or with the bigger turbo? The reason I am doing this in stages is because I want to run a full season on somewhat stock power before upgrading to the bigger turbos the next season. I plan on doing the intake and intercooler for this up coming season so that heat won't be a problem. Now the questions is if the fuel pump is necessary without a tune? Thanks again!
Without the big turbo/stage 4 tune there is no reason to do the fuel pump as the stock system can keep up. The big turbo just demands more fueling then the stock setup can keep up with. You can do the fuel pump if you like but it will not have any benefit until the big turbo is installed. For that reason if you wished to do the fuel pump I personally wouldn't bother until you were installing the big turbos.
Appreciate 0