Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I found my E92 M3 utterly unusable in normal driving conditions. In order to fully enjoy it you really had to wring it out which is physically impossible anywhere but the autobahn or a track. So in general I drove it around town and on our regional highways and it never had the chance to come alive unless I got myself into license-revokation speeds. It's why I found myself looking for another E46 M3 and finding.. just about nothing clean under $40KCDN. Therefore, M2 order.
Utterly unusable, yes I would fully agree. Not to mention the car sounded like crap until you add the M exhaust. Many other aspects were horrible as well. I sold mine in short order. I'll tell you the M2 is such a better, more fun car. All the BMW leather is pretty much garbage after you own a Porsche or other better car. I'm not that bothered by the leather in the M2
Man is it ever though. I can't think of worse leather. I'd rather have leatherette at least there's no maintenance.
      05-14-2017, 12:51 AM   #24
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 Pure F20 125i MSport 2017

The "alcantara" in my wife's 2016 125 M Sport seats isn't too bad actually. If only the seat was up to snuff
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #25
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mWHO View Post
This was another topic I was thinking about doing a write up on.

TL;DR if you're looking for performance, dont. For a year round DD that will not get stuck in any blizzard, its great. But I'll elaborate.

Being my first "performance" vehicle I was walking in blind and decided to get the highest trim one with the fancy wheels and nav. Wheels are nice, but have serious fitment issues, and the nav was junk. Cost me just under $50000 CAD.

For the price, and vs the market its seriously under powered. in 2005 it was keeping up with M3s FFS. I went to stage 2 (360ish crank hp) pretty quick and that helped a lot. Thing backfired catless gloriously. But the motor internals are pretty much maxed close to 400. Which leads to where the car is now; sitting in my garage without a heart for the past year. But on the bright side downshifting to second and going flat out is seriously fun, and cornering is confidence inspiring. The steering feel itself is just OK.

The car is by no means bad quality, but the BMW is better. The 2018 changes look promising, but I would wait for the FA20 platform. Like I said, if you're looking for serious performance, be prepared to fork out a lot of doe. And the included limit is pretty low.

I had the privelage of driving a Mustang GT through the tail of the dragon last week, and that car is better, and cheaper. The coyote engine is no fucking joke. It made me reconsider my M2. Seriously. But Mustangs have bad reputations? So do WRXs.

So really it comes down to what you're looking for. I made a mistake, but I was also looking at the wrong things. I wanted an STi since childhood, and the cars have always been beautiful to me. Which brought me in; I loved the spoiler and youthful energy of it. Seriously the thought of doing highway pulls at night (that seen in Tokyo drift with Hans RX7 and the speed trap) got my heart racing and still does. Call it childish but I'd rather have dreams then nothing. Did I ever think I'd by a BMW then tho? No way. But co piloting my best friends E46 M3 made it apparent I made the wrong choice.

If both are within your means, or the M2 is but a bit of financial stretch away... listen closely to me: BUY THE GERMAN ONE
Man I feel like we are having the absolute same life when it comes to car experiences

My '13 STI is FBO but I had more luck with my stock engine tho, which is still running great.

That being said, I barely drive it now (I got a DD now) and I am ready to reach the next step with my incoming '18 M2
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 08:06 PM   #26
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

I owned a 2011 E92 M3 Competition Package. I'll add some comments if it helps guide anyone.

Looks:

Had a Melbourne Red CP on Fox Red/ Black interior. It looked very sharp. All the carbon fiber exterior trim.
My M2 is MG. The car just has nice proportions.
Looks are totally subjective, I like them both.

Interior:

The M3 leather was better than the Nevada in the M2. But face it, all of these leather surfaces are completely reformed hides.

Engine:

I don't miss craving torque at all. There is just no way you use the 8000 rpm redline on a regular basis. For a V8, the sound was weak! Needed to drop the $4k on the M exhaust immediately! Was really a bit of a joke. The OEMs have really learned that torque is power you feel. I honestly felt like the E92 was underpowered most of the time. The N55 just pulls and really sounds terrific right out of the box. The Traction mode is a new pinnacle in M sound - by far the best sounding stock small M car I've heard.

Exhaust:

The M3 was near mute out of the box, while the M2 factory setup is incredible. --- Agreed. Easily goes to the M2. Although the M3 with the M exhaust was not bad.

Steering:

The electric steering is a bit odd. Near perfect, but occasionally feels a bit sticky. Too early for me to really say. The E92 was very communicative though, but it's clear, we're not going back.

Handling:

The previous stated praise for its small dimension I believe are going to yield its biggest improvement: nimbleness. I can feeling the promising potential budding through my hands and I cannot wait to take this machine on the track. The E92 M3 'feels' light, but there is weight and it does a good job of hiding it. This M2 just feels genuinely light.

---------- Not much to say to the OP here. Pretty spot on.

Suspension:

Happy to see no adjustable suspension on the M2. The "sport" modes on most cars are just too stiff. Even to go hard, because cars tend to "skip" on bad pavement and the ride usually becomes miserable.

Transmission:

Here's the real kicker. The manual E92 was HORRIBLE. The clutch was WAY too light. The shifter was rubbery. 2nd gear was notchy OFTEN. Some people would comment on the forum "you just need to learn how to shift" - BS. I was dying for a hot manual and I was sorely disappointed. The M2 has really delivered well. The clutch is still light, but better. The lever still a bit rubbery, but better. And the engagement is nicely improved. AND I personally love the rev match. I downshift ALL the time. In Sport it is really fantastic. Would make the car so easy to take to the track.

Braking:

No argument here the M2 kills the M3. ------- Well BMW FINALLY puts monoblock brakes on their cars. No surprise it brakes well. M braking was always really weak. Haven't heard too much about fade on the track, but I presume the cars have improved. Keep in mind that Porsche has had monoblock Brembos on their cars for over 20 years!

Overall:

But for now, and for $52000 USD, I'm pretty damn happy.

Add to this, I paid $70k for my 2011 M3!!! I know you can get them in the 40's now, but still. Let me also add that the E92 V8 was regularly getting me 12 mpg with a low fuel light that would come on with 1/4 tank left. Why so early? Because the thing would suck the rest of the tank down in less than 40 miles! YMMV.

[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 3
S1monQc223.50
termigni1080.00
Robin_NL8679.50
      05-15-2017, 07:10 AM   #27
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
You really think the M2 will break more than the M3?
It should be ok providing you brake it in correctly before the first service
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 07:12 AM   #28
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashrawr View Post
Great, honest comparison.

Loved the dish washing analogy lol.
A man who does the dishes ? Quick I gotta marry him
The only help I ever get is from the dog, who admittedly goes about her task with relish.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 4
BruceM983.00
BAN_M2C4154.50
termigni1080.00
      07-03-2017, 07:08 AM   #29
tonyb.ca
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3/E93

Interesting reads, one and all.

I am not sure that I agree with SOME of the comparisons. I own an '08 E93 (Dinan cat-back, otherwise stock) and an '09 E82 135is (yes: pull the VIN and is says IS, but its probably just the M sport stuff). I too am thinking about an M2, but wondering if it is worth the incremental upgrade, or if I should just mod the 135. I already own it, it's paid for, and won't return a lot of $ on the market anymore.

Truly miss my old e46 ZHP (ZAM in Canada) ragtop. Most fun car that never threatened my license. Foolish to have traded it in!

Sound:
I don't think anything out there is going to touch the M3 with Dinan (or similar) exhaust. It just doesn't "feel" like it pulls as well as the 135 until you hit around 3 grand, but I can live with the difference. After about 4-5 grand,.. different story. Given that the roof disappears, it has its place, so I'm keeping the little V8. 6MT needs the ZHP's shifter. What WERE they thinking?

The M2 looks interesting, and there is even one available on the lot here! BUT are the extra 50-ish horsepower, suspension and upgraded toys (Navi, etc.) worth the over $50K more it is going to cost? IMHO, the M235 I tested definitely wasn't worth it, and in fact the car "felt" less nimble (but also less "choppy"). The 135 fixed the shifter problem.

I guess I am only going to find out for sure one way: Go try it!

Option 3:
Buy the M2, keep them all and buy a hoist to winter the M2 & M3.

re: dishes
I already bought a dishwasher! Cheaper to maintain!
LOL

Last edited by tonyb.ca; 07-03-2017 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #30
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
OP thanks for the write up!

All I can think of now is how the first thing I did to my new house was to pull the dishwasher and replace it with a wine cooler..

I have never used a dishwasher in my life!
mWHO118.50
      12-18-2017, 05:18 PM   #31
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 06

6 Months later:

As someone who tends to contradict themselves and be back and forth on things, I want to add a couple points after some more time with (and without) the car.

I'm not ready to give up the M2, but I find myself searching for what else is out there. The F87 simply hasn't evoked the same connection and bond to me the E92 did. I almost get sad thinking about my E92 now, there is just a certain magic in my eye. As it has aged and its (not financial) value appreciated, the E92 must be protected and treated right, before as we Edmontonians say, "North Siders" get their hands on it. I'm more than curious what my 2022 self will say about the M2.

My problem with the M2 is its too polite. The sensory imputs are soft, which makes for good DDing, however leaves the weekend cruises a bit bland. I think I'm going to invest in a short shifter and ultimate clutch pedal and see how that changes my experience. When prepairng the get sidways in the M3, I was always in a 'holy shit lets not bugger this one', while on the M2, I can expect it to stay controlled and in poise. Take what you will from that, but the fun outputs in my books are totally different. The level-headedness continues through with the power delivery. With the turbo its certainly quick, but it isn't very fast.

Some forum members might define me as a moronic rambler, but my hope is to journal all these thoughts in the hopes it may help a potential buyer. I can stand back and look at the E92 and say 'thats great' with full sincerity. But I seek more of the brashness that only American sports cars are producing. The M2 leaves me in a strange middle ground on how I appreciate cars: either in their brashness (GT350), or sophistication (718), but hopefully both. To me the E92 is the hallmark of those two characteristics. And for now, my thoughts are its good, but not great. The silver lining is that two halves add up to one, and for that reason I'm not going to jump ship quite yet. Tinker and toy a bit. But the fact that I have to modify the the M2 to get what I want leaves me resenting it. So i'll leave on one final statement: I'd rather be in an obnoxious drunken Nashville honky tonk or dining dressed to the nines at a Michelin Star restaurant than be stuck at Chili's.
Epsom Green P38 Range Rover SE
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 5
champignon1562.00
Not Sure212.50
xcusem3456.50
Jamongkad239.00
      12-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #32
chrisg123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Scion xB

I appreciate your review of the m2. I have an 08 e92 m3 that is supercharged by active Autowerks. It has 550/350 to the wheels. It’s fun but I like the way the m2 looks, it has new interior , and is smaller. I thought it would be more fun. But I know my car will kill even a modded m2 on the highway and mine sounds better. So after listening to you I realize that people are always going to want more no matter what Car you have. Well maybe not if you had a melaren 720s. But thanks again. I’ll b happy with my car for now. I can also go for meth and 9 psi pulley and have 600/400 to the wheels.
Appreciate 1
mWHO118.50
      12-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #33
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
6 Months later:

As someone who tends to contradict themselves and be back and forth on things, I want to add a couple points after some more time with (and without) the car.

I'm not ready to give up the M2, but I find myself searching for what else is out there. The F87 simply hasn't evoked the same connection and bond to me the E92 did. I almost get sad thinking about my E92 now, there is just a certain magic in my eye. As it has aged and its (not financial) value appreciated, the E92 must be protected and treated right, before as we Edmontonians say, "North Siders" get their hands on it. I'm more than curious what my 2022 self will say about the M2.

My problem with the M2 is its too polite. The sensory imputs are soft, which makes for good DDing, however leaves the weekend cruises a bit bland. I think I'm going to invest in a short shifter and ultimate clutch pedal and see how that changes my experience. When prepairng the get sidways in the M3, I was always in a 'holy shit lets not bugger this one', while on the M2, I can expect it to stay controlled and in poise. Take what you will from that, but the fun outputs in my books are totally different. The level-headedness continues through with the power delivery. With the turbo its certainly quick, but it isn't very fast.

Some forum members might define me as a moronic rambler, but my hope is to journal all these thoughts in the hopes it may help a potential buyer. I can stand back and look at the E92 and say 'thats great' with full sincerity. But I seek more of the brashness that only American sports cars are producing. The M2 leaves me in a strange middle ground on how I appreciate cars: either in their brashness (GT350), or sophistication (718), but hopefully both. To me the E92 is the hallmark of those two characteristics. And for now, my thoughts are its good, but not great. The silver lining is that two halves add up to one, and for that reason I'm not going to jump ship quite yet. Tinker and toy a bit. But the fact that I have to modify the the M2 to get what I want leaves me resenting it. So i'll leave on one final statement: I'd rather be in an obnoxious drunken Nashville honky tonk or dining dressed to the nines at a Michelin Star restaurant than be stuck at Chili's.
Great Post!
      12-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #34
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I'd rather be in an obnoxious drunken Nashville honky tonk or dining dressed to the nines at a Michelin Star restaurant than be stuck at Chili's.
I think you should go buy a hellcat then.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #35
Not Sure
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
6 Months later:

here's my experience fwiw. after owning an M235i for 3 years, i made the decision to upgrade to an m2 over the summer. was surprised to find available allocations and even dealers willing to sell below sticker. just before placing my deposit i finally got a chance to test drive one, a loaded black dct. really fun car - faster, more agile and better brakes - but it felt fundamentally similar to the 235 and still had that...digital? artificial?...feeling that i didn't like.

in the end i went "backwards" with an e92. it's a a bit dated, gets shit gas mileage and is prob not as fast or planted, but to me it feels more special. who knows, maybe i would have warmed up to the m2 eventually. it's a great car. m235i was a great car too btw.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #36
chrisg123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Scion xB

Interesting
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #37
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
I think you should go buy a hellcat then.
Have you ever experienced one? Every owner I've spoken with absolutely loves them. I've heard they ride exceptionally smooth, and despite being in the richest province in Canada, our roads are that of a 'developing' nation.

I drove a 392 and the 1st two gears were incredible. Pure linear torque. But the weight scared me off. 707 HP with all that mass might result in my funeral.

However I come from a Blue Oval family and I'm not sure if I can warm up too much to a MOPAR.
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #38
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
here's my experience fwiw. after owning an M235i for 3 years, i made the decision to upgrade to an m2 over the summer. was surprised to find available allocations and even dealers willing to sell below sticker. just before placing my deposit i finally got a chance to test drive one, a loaded black dct. really fun car - faster, more agile and better brakes - but it felt fundamentally similar to the 235 and still had that...digital? artificial?...feeling that i didn't like.

in the end i went "backwards" with an e92. it's a a bit dated, gets shit gas mileage and is prob not as fast or planted, but to me it feels more special. who knows, maybe i would have warmed up to the m2 eventually. it's a great car. m235i was a great car too btw.
Yea you summed up my experiences very well and concisely.
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #39
chino101
Rep
Drives: '11 M3, '22 GTI

I'm glad to have found this thread, as I'm on the fence between these two cars and leaning towards a CPO M2 for the warranty.

mWHO, I noticed in your sig that you eventually sold the M2, do you regret that decision?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 12:19 AM   #40
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino101 View Post
I'm glad to have found this thread, as I'm on the fence between these two cars and leaning towards a CPO M2 for the warranty.

mWHO, I noticed in your sig that you eventually sold the M2, do you regret that decision?
I swapped from e92 6MT M3 to 2018 DCT M2 last June. Happy to chat if you have questions.

I might someday get an e9x track machine, but my M2 is not going away. I wouldn't go back for sure although I loved my e92.

Making the swap one of the biggest things for me was the m2 is just straight up noisy in comparison. I have added m240i sound deadening and MPS4S and that's helped but still a lot louder.

Power (usable power especially), handling, daily ability, I prefer the M2. I do miss my active suspension but I like the M2 suspension.

I was really torn, and I haven't really thought about my M3 much since I sold it. I thought I would miss it everyday.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2019, 09:12 PM   #41
chino101
Rep
Drives: '11 M3, '22 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poffman View Post
I swapped from e92 6MT M3 to 2018 DCT M2 last June. Happy to chat if you have questions.

I might someday get an e9x track machine, but my M2 is not going away. I wouldn't go back for sure although I loved my e92.

Making the swap one of the biggest things for me was the m2 is just straight up noisy in comparison. I have added m240i sound deadening and MPS4S and that's helped but still a lot louder.

Power (usable power especially), handling, daily ability, I prefer the M2. I do miss my active suspension but I like the M2 suspension.

I was really torn, and I haven't really thought about my M3 much since I sold it. I thought I would miss it everyday.
Thanks for the perspective. I test drove a couple of E92's and a E90 really liked the way they drove, and the practicality they offer. What worries me is owning a BMW that isn't in warranty. I plan rent a M2 from Turo for a day to see what living with one is like.
Appreciate 1
Poffman493.00
      08-26-2019, 04:02 PM   #42
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Hers my thing about Dakota leather versus Dan Merino leather (I had merino in the F80, now drive M2c).

Unless you're driving it naked are you really noticing it?

Yes, to the touch of the hand (or other body parts) you can feel how supple the merino is....but when you're actually sitting in it and driving it becomes moot (imo).

I feel like the hide on the Dakota is thicker and more durable, so I find myself not worrying about it as much.

Aside, I think the M2c is more akin to the 335is ( which I had in 6mt (twin turbo N54 anyone??) and would choose over the E92 M3 as well, but I digress)
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      07-07-2022, 04:33 PM   #43
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Has anyone gone from an M2 to an E92/E90 M3 and what have been their thoughts from the move?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 02:29 PM   #44
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Has anyone gone from an M2 to an E92/E90 M3 and what have been their thoughts from the move?
I went from an E92 M3 albeit supercharged to an M2c then immediately to a M2cs.

Power aside, the E92 chassis is a little softer and has a longer wheelbase. The M2's short wheelbase and stiff chassis makes it a much more playful.

The E92 M3 in stock form did not excite me in the way an M2 can, the M3's power all at high RPM on the street was much harder to exploit safely (without screaming it like a lunatic). The M2 point and squirt character is hard to beat. The supercharger helped, however in the end I prefer driving a newer smaller car.

I know this is an old thread, however it is good to keep it alive as the E9x M3's are still very relevant sports cars.

Last edited by M3R1; 07-13-2022 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00