BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Ask a Pro Detailer from Detailer's Domain

01-16-2017, 04:35 PM   #133
mlust
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
Dr Beasley's or Opti would be the easier ones to apply.
So if I go with Dr Beasley's to coat the paint, can I do the carbon pieces as well on the M2? What style of applicator would you recommend to apply, or does it come with the suede cloth I have seen in videos? One last question, I seen one video where he was applying the Dr Beasley's coating to a wet car? Do you recommend the car to be wet for application or dry? Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 07:21 PM   #134
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Any recommended products for getting light scratches out of plastic? As luck would have it, i was backing into a parking spot and did not catch a low hanging branch in my back up camera. It scuffed the passenger side tail light and the quarter panel. i got the scuff out of the quarter with my Flex buffer and some light compound on a white pad. I'm too nervous to go after the ones in the tail light. Afraid of leaving a bunch of micro scratches in the soft plastic. Is buffing out the lens the same as buffing paint, just with less aggressive pad and compound combinations? Or are there special products just for buffing out lenses?

Thanks!
sorry to hear about this.
got a photo of the scratch on the taillight.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #135
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlust View Post
So if I go with Dr Beasley's to coat the paint, can I do the carbon pieces as well on the M2? What style of applicator would you recommend to apply, or does it come with the suede cloth I have seen in videos? One last question, I seen one video where he was applying the Dr Beasley's coating to a wet car? Do you recommend the car to be wet for application or dry? Thanks for your help.
yes you can use it on the carbon fiber as well.
best to apply the coatings on clean/dry paint.
we got the Nanolex SIShield Kits in stock now as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #136
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
sorry to hear about this.
got a photo of the scratch on the taillight.
A little hard to capture them in a photo, especially on the red portion of the lens. I'd say they are about 0.002" to 0.003" deep. You can feel them with your fingernail. Also, lots of holograms in the lens. Looks like someone "prepped" the car with the old rotary buffer.

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #137
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

the swirls will be easily removed by polishing that scratch should be at the least reduced. I believe you should be able to clear it out with your polisher, you can have your trunk up while you do this and mask your bumper or any areas you can damage to be on the safe side.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #138
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
the swirls will be easily removed by polishing that scratch should be at the least reduced. I believe you should be able to clear it out with your polisher, you can have your trunk up while you do this and mask your bumper or any areas you can damage to be on the safe side.
Thanks! Do you have a trusted polish that you would recommend for the job? My old polish froze a few winters ago when I forgot it in the unheated garage. I'll pick up some new stuff from your site. What pad would you recommend? I'm thinking blue or black to stay of the soft side.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #139
mlust
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

if I do a coating on the paint now will it have to be removed to install Xpel? I'm just wondering about the glue over time
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #140
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

I would do the xpel first, you will need to remove the coating for it to properly adhere.

If if was my car I would do film first then the coating. Besides the film will have the best protection against rock chips. (over coating)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #141
emargul
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Can I use CarPro Reload Spray Sealant over xpel film? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #142
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

you can for sure we have also had great success with Kenotek Showroom Shine.

Take a look at some more info a photos here Kenotek Showroom Shine
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #143
Thespaz18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Hey, I'm looking for a quality sealant to coat the stock M2 rims with. I wash the car every couple of weeks and use Sonax to clean the brake dust off, which works well. However, I feel like I need the sealant to protect the wheel since the brake dust is so significant. I read earlier in the thread that Gyeon Rim was suggested, but would be nervous to apply since I can't reach inside the wheel well and don't have access to remove the full rim for proper application. That said, would it be worth having a sealant like Gyeon Rim applied professionally? Or could I get away with using something like Poorboy's World wheel sealant on a more frequent basis via DIY? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 03:18 PM   #144
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespaz18 View Post
Hey, I'm looking for a quality sealant to coat the stock M2 rims with. I wash the car every couple of weeks and use Sonax to clean the brake dust off, which works well. However, I feel like I need the sealant to protect the wheel since the brake dust is so significant. I read earlier in the thread that Gyeon Rim was suggested, but would be nervous to apply since I can't reach inside the wheel well and don't have access to remove the full rim for proper application. That said, would it be worth having a sealant like Gyeon Rim applied professionally? Or could I get away with using something like Poorboy's World wheel sealant on a more frequent basis via DIY? Thanks.
I cant speak to the Gyeon, but I have used the Poorboy's world wheel sealant. I noticed no significant difference over nothing at all. Used it a couple times and gave up. I'll be moving on to the Gyeon Rim. So if you decide you want to go with the Poorboy's anyway, send me a self addressed, stamped, shipping envelope and you can have the rest of mine. I've got like 80% of the can left.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #145
Thespaz18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I cant speak to the Gyeon, but I have used the Poorboy's world wheel sealant. I noticed no significant difference over nothing at all. Used it a couple times and gave up. I'll be moving on to the Gyeon Rim. So if you decide you want to go with the Poorboy's anyway, send me a self addressed, stamped, shipping envelope and you can have the rest of mine. I've got like 80% of the can left.
Ahhh bummer. Alright, sounds like Gyeon Rim may be a better alternative to Poorboy's. DD, any input? I'm just concerned about application since I can't remove each wheel to do the inner wheel well. I may just have to wing it and hope for the best.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 08:59 PM   #146
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespaz18 View Post
Ahhh bummer. Alright, sounds like Gyeon Rim may be a better alternative to Poorboy's. DD, any input? I'm just concerned about application since I can't remove each wheel to do the inner wheel well. I may just have to wing it and hope for the best.
if you are willing to pull off the wheels and coat them that would be the best bet, while they are off you should coat your calipers.

Nanolex SIShield
Gyeon Rim

Both great and both will help.

As for the wheel waxes they will work but plan on reapplying after each wash to keep them protected.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #147
Thespaz18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
if you are willing to pull off the wheels and coat them that would be the best bet, while they are off you should coat your calipers.

Nanolex SIShield
Gyeon Rim

Both great and both will help.

As for the wheel waxes they will work but plan on reapplying after each wash to keep them protected.
Ok that sounds good. I'll just need to bite the bullet and take the rims off. Another thing. As I'm cleaning the rims tonight I notice minor rust colored specs stuck on the inner lips of the front wheels (pitting??) and the black painted portions have minor swirls (which these wheels seem to be notorious for). Is there a best practice to remedy these prior to applying sealant? Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #148
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

it shouldn't take too long, removing the wheels cleaning them etc one by one and coating the wheels 1-2 hours.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #149
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Other than a shop vac, what do you recommend for a vaccum? Ideally one that can get into the nooks and crannies without too much effort from me. I was originally looking at the dyson v6 and getting an extension wand since I feel like the metro vac is a bit bulky to carry around easily, even though I've used their products in the past and love them and like the blower aspect so I can dry the car instead of using towels.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...aner-vnb-4afbr

https://www.amazon.com/Dyson-V6-Trig.../dp/B00GXFIS5A

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #150
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

I actually tried using my dyson in my car and it didn't do as good as the metro, I thought to myself the dyson is so bad ass at home, I'll give it a try in the car not as good as the metro....just my 2 cents. I have had the metro for car use for years and no issues.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #151
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Hi, when taking delivery of my car I told the dealership to keep all of the plastic coverings on and to not wash it at all! I don't think I want to do any type of coating on it, what do you think I need, a solid detail? It's Alpine White.

Are you aware of any reputable detailers for a new car prep in Southern California?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #152
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

If that's the case, why not do a wash, decon, clay, polish, sealant?
are you considering clear film, if this is a car you are planning to keep and drive I would consider it, what part of CA are you from?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #153
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
I actually tried using my dyson in my car and it didn't do as good as the metro, I thought to myself the dyson is so bad ass at home, I'll give it a try in the car not as good as the metro....just my 2 cents. I have had the metro for car use for years and no issues.

I went to a Milwaukee 18 volt vacuum, it works great, no cords, tons of power, wet/dry. It looks like a small tool box with a hose and a couple of fittings. Suction is shopvac level.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #154
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
If that's the case, why not do a wash, decon, clay, polish, sealant?
are you considering clear film, if this is a car you are planning to keep and drive I would consider it, what part of CA are you from?
Orange County. I was considering XPEL, but since the car is white, I feel over time it'll show dirt on the edges/yellow?

What's a good sealant? I want the car to look really glossy/wet, it's Alpine White.

Which coatings are good to do? I read from some people that it gives the car a "plastic" look.
Appreciate 0