02-22-2017, 10:08 PM   #23
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
What's so desirable about the LCI that will depreciate previous year models?
The simple problem that not that many 17s have been delivered (like mine) and in a couple of months there will be a revised car. It doesn't need to be better, simply the changes will hurt the value of the prior year. Typically you get "leftover" discounts for cars this late in the model year.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 10:34 PM   #24
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights View Post
Looks like a Kia. /thread
Wow! That is exactly what I thought... especially with those wheels.

It would make for an awesome sleeper though - except for the nasty growl coming from the tailpipes, giving it away.

I will stick with my LBB M2 though. Something that looks and sounds sexy, and is so fun in the curves, far outweighs the fun of ambushing STi's with a vanilla sedan.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #25
Stu Pedasho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Clearing garage space

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
the RS3 is an awesome car, but there is something about the way it looks that just doesn't do it for me.
BINGO! I like the interior of the Audi but the exterior is so boring.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2017, 07:18 AM   #26
Stu Pedasho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lop00 View Post
The RS3 might be faster, more accessorised etc.

But for me, its side look is a total deal breaker. No personality, complete bland look.
Nailed it!

It is a Ford Fusion ..... and the fact that it is not a Ford Fusion but I think it looks like every other four door car mid-size car on the market .... that is the problem with Audi exterior styling. Bland, boring.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 07:21 AM   #27
Stu Pedasho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights View Post
Looks like a Kia. /thread
Ouch!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:07 AM   #28
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
the RS3 is an awesome car, but there is something about the way it looks that just doesn't do it for me.
You know, same for me. The clubsport concept was the coolest thing with 4wheels and 4doors then they gave us this. That said, BMW is being mighty stingy with the M2. Given how poor their sedan sales are doing and the crazy profit margin they must have for this you would think they would be pouring out of the factory. I can't get an allocation for the life of me. This morning a dealer told me the RS3 will be here in July (dunno how accurate that is - seems unlikely) and I'll probably pick one up since I can't get an M2. Bit of lowering, wider, better looking wheels and a bit of carbon and it will look ok. One thing for sure is it won't be slow.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:17 AM   #29
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
They're not real, just cosmetic finishers. If you look in there the pipe tip is actually behind it. Same thing Merc did on the CLA/GLA45.

The M2 on the other hand, has a proper exhaust.
"a proper exhaust"? you guys crack me up. That doesn't mean jack. are there 4 exhaust pipes all the way to the six cylinders (which doesn't make sense either)? Every exhaust is a joke on modern cars. The M2 has one turbo outlet, so you really only need one pipe properly sized. heck on my race car, I only have two tips, one per each 4cyl bank, which require only 2 1/4" for enough flow for its 4 liters and 7000 RPM. 4 tips is pure marketing - so is two in the Audi case. Size and tip count sells, so that's what they give you. From an engineering standpoint, the Audi 5 is much more robust than the BMW 6 (shorter, stiffer crank & cams thus less twist/flex) with more performance overhead/$ and HP/CC. I love the BMW stuff, but mocking the Audi just makes it look like you guys are insecure about what you bought

Last edited by Spinnetti; 02-23-2017 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:29 AM   #30
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
"a proper exhaust"? you guys crack me up. That doesn't mean jack. are there 4 exhaust pipes all the way to the six cylinders (which doesn't make sense either)? Every exhaust is a joke on modern cars. The M2 has one turbo outlet, so you really only need one pipe properly sized. heck on my race car, I only have two tips, one per each 4cyl bank. 4 tips is pure marketing - so is two. Size and tip count sells, so that's what they give you. From an engineering standpoint, the Audi 5 is much more robust than the BMW 6 (shorter, stiffer crank & cams thus less twist/flex) with more performance overhead per $... I love the BMW stuff, but mocking the Audi just makes it look like you guys are insecure about what you bought. I like them both, and though I'd perfer the M2 right now for the manual trans, I can't seem to get one
Proper exhaust - connected to the tips, you could have 400 of them, I don't care

Fake exhaust - hidden pipe with massive 10" oval finish tips that aren't even connected to anything

PS: The Audi 5 compares to BMW's 4 not the 6
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #31
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Looks like every other bland audi to me to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #32
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Proper exhaust - connected to the tips, you could have 400 of them, I don't care

Fake exhaust - hidden pipe with massive 10" oval finish tips that aren't even connected to anything

PS: The Audi 5 compares to BMW's 4 not the 6
lol. whatever gets you through the night. Which BMW 4 is making 400hp? oh wait, the M2 6 doesn't make that either. If I can't get an M2 and end up with an RS3, happy for you to pick the race track and we race for pinks - see how the "fake" exhaust hinders performance from its "4cylinder equivalent" and how much it really understeers
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #33
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
lol. whatever gets you through the night. Which BMW 4 is making 400hp? oh wait, the M2 6 doesn't make that either. If I can't get an M2 and end up with an RS3, happy for you to pick the race track and we race for pinks - see how the "fake" exhaust hinders performance from its "4cylinder equivalent" and how much it really understeers
I thought you meant cars and not engines. In that case I do agree the 5 and 6 are equivalent. Best 4 out there right now, IMO, is the one on the CLA/GLA45's, that thing screams.

As for the exhaust debate, whatever floats your boat. I just think that, if you're going to be putting massive oval pipes on the car, at least connect them to the damn pipe.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:30 AM   #34
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
I thought you meant cars and not engines. In that case I do agree the 5 and 6 are equivalent. Best 4 out there right now, IMO, is the one on the CLA/GLA45's, that thing screams.
And a service interval every 7500kms/4700miles.
The price you pay for highly strung smaller engines?

BTW the M2 tested in Sportauto carmag last year had exactly 400BHP crank.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #35
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

Cheers
Robin
Wow really? Was not aware of the short interval, damn. That engine sounds so good for a little four-banger though.

And agreed, 400 BHP at crank for M2 sounds about right. I'm going to dyno mine this coming spring and will post results
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #36
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:

Cheers
Robin
When you say this, are you saying they put the engine on an engine dyno? Or is this an interpolation/extrapolation?

Last edited by BruceM; 02-23-2017 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #37
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

As for the exhaust debate, whatever floats your boat. I just think that, if you're going to be putting massive oval pipes on the car, at least connect them to the damn pipe.
I'll give you the pipes Fair enough lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #38
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Quote:

Cheers
Robin
When you say this, are you saying they put the engine on an engine dyno? Are is this an interpolation?
Yep

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #39
///M2Seoul
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi RS 3

Quote:

Cheers
Robin
Quote:
Wow really? Was not aware of the short interval, damn. That engine sounds so good for a little four-banger though.

And agreed, 400 BHP at crank for M2 sounds about right. I'm going to dyno mine this coming spring and will post results
I'm not sure about the Netherlands, but here in the States, my factory recommended service intervals are every 10k miles or 1 year, which ever comes first. But maybe to your point though, it should be done more often in shorter intervals since it is so high strung, but according to MBUSA, it's 10k miles/1 yr. I'm just hoping the engine doesn't blow before the warranty ends...lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:29 PM   #40
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M2Seoul
Looks like our neighbors up north got spec sheet of the 2018 RS3 Sedan.

http://fourtitude.com/news/2018-audi...ricing-leaked/

Standard equipment, it seems as though the car is pretty fully loaded. Surprised that they're charging for the carbon fiber engine cover though. But standard package comes with diamond stitch "fine" nappa leather sport seats, led headlights, led taillights, pano roof, magnetic ride, audi virtual cockpit, rear view camera, etc. That's not bad at all.

I'm not an Audi fanboy, far from it, but I have to say that BMW has fallen waaay behind Audi in this aspect. The M2 gets cheap crappy dakota leather??? No led headlights or tailights, no magnetic ride, no vitual cockpit, no rear view camera standard...etc...

I can even make the argument that the legendary 5 banger in the Audi is far superior to the N55, which I know, here is heresy.

Especially, if the speculation about the price is true, I think the Audi is the better bang for the buck here. Before the argument is made that it's priced higher than the M2, but if you add the DCT to the M2, the M2 is actually much higher.

For sure, hands down, I admit the RS3 will never be as much fun as the M2, but you're definitely getting a lot more in terms of practicality and standard features for your money.
more practicality goes out the window when you're looking for a fun car. not many people get the M2 for practicality > fun. if you're looking for a practical and fun car, the M3 is killer.

I have a tuned S3 and it's decent but it doesn't hold a candle to the M3 I had .. and supposedly the M2 is even more fun so.. I don't think the RS3 will come close to the M2 in the giddy category.

I will say that launching a quick AWD is quite sweet and my kids are always telling me to do launch mode lol. it's also a sweet errand car, good on the highway, etc, but at the track it was nearly boring. the RS3 will surely be better but I doubt it would actually cross over into the "fun" side ....

ultimately, it'll be a good do-everything-well car. when whipping it around, I think it'll disappoint. hopefully I can test drive one and be proven wrong but I'm not holding my breath...

Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8679.50
      02-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #41
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

I think m2seoul's comments forgot one thing. The rs3 is quicker. With all of the other features and equipment, plus the color choices, AND sunroof (!). I have a golf R now and have been a bmw fan forever (have owned 3 m3 generations), really wondering at this point after waiting a year for a car.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #42
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M2Seoul
Looks like our neighbors up north got spec sheet of the 2018 RS3 Sedan.

http://fourtitude.com/news/2018-audi...ricing-leaked/

Standard equipment, it seems as though the car is pretty fully loaded. Surprised that they're charging for the carbon fiber engine cover though. But standard package comes with diamond stitch "fine" nappa leather sport seats, led headlights, led taillights, pano roof, magnetic ride, audi virtual cockpit, rear view camera, etc. That's not bad at all.

I'm not an Audi fanboy, far from it, but I have to say that BMW has fallen waaay behind Audi in this aspect. The M2 gets cheap crappy dakota leather??? No led headlights or tailights, no magnetic ride, no vitual cockpit, no rear view camera standard...etc...

I can even make the argument that the legendary 5 banger in the Audi is far superior to the N55, which I know, here is heresy.

Especially, if the speculation about the price is true, I think the Audi is the better bang for the buck here. Before the argument is made that it's priced higher than the M2, but if you add the DCT to the M2, the M2 is actually much higher.

For sure, hands down, I admit the RS3 will never be as much fun as the M2, but you're definitely getting a lot more in terms of practicality and standard features for your money.
more practicality goes out the window when you're looking for a fun car. not many people get the M2 for practicality > fun. if you're looking for a practical and fun car, the M3 is killer.

I have a tuned S3 and it's decent but it doesn't hold a candle to the M3 I had .. and supposedly the M2 is even more fun so.. I don't think the RS3 will come close to the M2 in the giddy category.

I will say that launching a quick AWD is quite sweet and my kids are always telling me to do launch mode lol. it's also a sweet errand car, good on the highway, etc, but at the track it was nearly boring. the RS3 will surely be better but I doubt it would actually cross over into the "fun" side ....

ultimately, it'll be a good do-everything-well car. when whipping it around, I think it'll disappoint. hopefully I can test drive one and be proven wrong but I'm not holding my breath...
Slightly off topic, and thanks for the insight on the s3 as I'm considering an S3...I dunno why but two f30 cars and I'm a bit burned out.

But can you share how your tuned s3 fares in a roll race vs say a FBO M2 or like a FBO 335i or 340i? Just curious, they seem very very quick with an APR stage 2 or better.
      03-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #43
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
I think m2seoul's comments forgot one thing. The rs3 is quicker. With all of the other features and equipment, plus the color choices, AND sunroof (!). I have a golf R now and have been a bmw fan forever (have owned 3 m3 generations), really wondering at this point after waiting a year for a car.
Funny... Sunroof is a big turnoff for me - emailed Audi to see if I could special order to NOT get the sunroof lol. Definately sick of waiting for the M2 though.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #44
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Funny... Sunroof is a big turnoff for me - emailed Audi to see if I could special order to NOT get the sunroof lol. Definately sick of waiting for the M2 though.
Huh? Why the hell wouldn't you want to open up the roof every now and then for a semi convertible feel? Don't get it all...explain.
Appreciate 0