DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraSaiyan View Post
Do your M2's auto blip when you go from 5th or 6th to neutral? Mine does a small blip whenever I'm in 5th or 6th gear and putting in neutral while coming to a stop.
Coasting in neutral to a stop from 5th and 6th? Tut tut!
Appreciate 1
Corinne1171.00
      03-04-2017, 05:41 AM   #68
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
Coasting in neutral to a stop from 5th and 6th? Tut tut!
Gosh. I'm a blonde but I would NEVER do that
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #69
Mint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-A View Post
I have a manual and thought I'd dislike the rev-match...

But... after a few months and 2800km, I am very impressed by it- to the point where I wish my other car (being a manual daily driver) had the feature. I haven't heard a complaint by a long term user yet- most complaints seem to be those who have not driven one for a period of months. Put it this way- I don't see it as a negative factor.

That said:
1. It can be coded out (there's a thread on the m4/3 forums that sets out the process).
2. You must fully deactivate DSC to get the rev match off.
3. It's seamless.
4. An accidental heel and towing after jumping between cars doesn't seem to upset it, but I think the slight throttle lag (in a turbo) may be a factor.

Perhaps an on/off button would be a good compromise for the CS/CSL?
+1 I know a lot of people complain about it, but I honestly love it. To the point where I wish I could turn it ON with DSC fully off.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #70
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Only if you're pulling it close to the gate for a lower gear - the car gets tricked into thinking you'll downshift since you're at the gate.
FYI while I respect your "manual" decision to drive the car however you like, you may want to note that coasting at high speed in neutral isn't so good for the throwout bearing. Best to stay in gears until you need first.

FWIW my take on this whole thing is that I really don't want the car to guess what I'm about to do. If I want to lazily heel toe instead of being a race car driver, I might want to do that.
      05-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #71
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:
Only if you're pulling it close to the gate for a lower gear - the car gets tricked into thinking you'll downshift since you're at the gate.
FYI while I respect your "manual" decision to drive the car however you like, you may want to note that coasting at high speed in neutral isn't so good for the throwout bearing. Best to stay in gears until you need first.

FWIW my take on this whole thing is that I really don't want the car to guess what I'm about to do. If I want to lazily heel toe instead of being a race car driver, I might want to do that.
Oh I 100% agree with you, just explaining what needs to be need in case you're getting mis-rev matched.

I personally never coast at speed for the reasons you said.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #72
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Oh I 100% agree with you, just explaining what needs to be need in case you're getting mis-rev matched.

Actually meant to quote the guy above you. But looks like you already addressed it.

Curious how often you fight with the system. On my S4, it always felt like it was intervening in a bad way when I was rev matching. The only way to be perfectly smooth at lower speeds was to let the computer do all the work. Hated it.

Last edited by stefan; 05-08-2017 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #73
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:

Actually meant to quote the guy above you. But say you already got it.

Curious how often you fight with the system. On my S4, it always felt like it was intervening in a bad way when I was rev matching. The only way to be perfectly smooth at lower speeds was to let the computer do all the work. Hated it.
Never fought with it. I've tried to best it in battle, but so far it has been spot on.
Appreciate 1
stefan2346.50
      05-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #74
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

What's interesting is the "purists" that want manuals to remain relevant so desperately are against a technology that might actually entice more people to manuals and thus increase their viability! The number one barrier to entry for manuals is obvious, people don't know how to drive them. The second has to be the amoun of work required in traffic etc. These technologies make it easier to drive a manual. I'd encourage manual lovers to minimize the complaints on this basis alone.
Appreciate 4
M2Nebula547.50
ewohar21.50
termigni1080.00
      05-08-2017, 04:54 PM   #75
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
What's interesting is the "purists" that want manuals to remain relevant so desperately are against a technology that might actually entice more people to manuals and thus increase their viability! The number one barrier to entry for manuals is obvious, people don't know how to drive them. The second has to be the amoun of work required in traffic etc. These technologies make it easier to drive a manual. I'd encourage manual lovers to minimize the complaints on this basis alone.
Just a button, that's all. Then both the novices and the experienced will be equally well served.
Appreciate 2
doug_9992538.50
      05-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #76
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Quote:
Just a button, that's all. Then both the novices and the experienced will be equally well served.
Agreed. But given the prospect of a DCT only world I'll take rev match all day everyday.

Incidentally I'm old enough where manual is something that was pretty common growing up and I know a lot of people who drive one or can. In all the years I rarely recall anyone I saw driving a manual heel and toe rev matching. Instead there was and still is a whole lot of clutch riding around corners and coasting in neutral in most cases. Maybe most of the people I know are below average terrible drivers while the rest of the world is awesome.

Come on guys let's try to keep it real here.
Appreciate 1
M2Nebula547.50
      05-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #77
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

If you grew up driving a manual transmission and/or have ridden motorcycles for many years, then the M2 6MT will feel like a dream and the auto blipping will come to you very easily. Initially, the only shift that got me a bit was from 3rd to 2nd....which I have worked out since. Love the position of the shifter, seating, arm rest forward, etc...you can plod along all day and then go like hell when the moment suits. Clutch is a little long at the top, but once you have your seating position dialed in everything clicks. All in all, I was a bit skeptical of the auto blipping, but in a very short time I became a convert.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2017, 06:10 PM   #78
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

[QUOTE=m34m;21672389]Agreed. But given the prospect of a DCT only world I'll take rev match all day everyday.

Well sure. Which is why I picked manual anyway, knowing there was no button.

But this issue is not necessarily binary--it does not have to be Manual with non-defeatable rev-match or DCT.

We can still urge BMW to install a simple button while not hurting the chances of the survival of the MT.

And that is all I understand the "complaints" of all the "complainers" you complain of to be--a plea for a button
Appreciate 1
stefan2346.50
      05-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #79
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Not all of us. I have never owned, nor plan to own, a non MT vehicle and I really enjoy the rev matching. I had it in my Z and was excited to hear it was in the M2 that replaced it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #80
chambolle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 coupe; 2017 M2

[QUOTE=nishmaster2k;20767399]I have a habit of always moving the gear selector back and forth once to ensure I'm in neutral, and I found that it loved to try to downshift into some gear even when I wasn't really asking it to. I coded it off on the second day.

Sounds like me. Bad habit or not , I've been doing it for four decades and ain't about to change.

And for this reason I find the rev matching feature a real PITA. If there is a way to make it go away, I'm all ears. Will my dealer do it for me?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #81
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Habits are hard to break, but the sensors are being confused if you are not definitive on what gear you are intending to choose. It ain't going to go away so you need to adjust your style of driving. With DSC fully off in sport plus mode you can delete the auto blipping from what I understand. I am still a greenhorn when it comes to newer technology, but once you are more decisive and become one with the car, this feature works really well. Also I find that you need to be fairly quick with the clutch otherwise you can experience some back lash which means that you didn't get it completely right.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #82
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed. But given the prospect of a DCT only world I'll take rev match all day everyday.

Incidentally I'm old enough where manual is something that was pretty common growing up and I know a lot of people who drive one or can. In all the years I rarely recall anyone I saw driving a manual heel and toe rev matching. Instead there was and still is a whole lot of clutch riding around corners and coasting in neutral in most cases. Maybe most of the people I know are below average terrible drivers while the rest of the world is awesome.

Sounds like most of your friends would be swayed to DCT if that's what was on the sales floor ....
Appreciate 1
BruceM983.00
      05-20-2017, 10:40 PM   #83
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like most of your friends would be swayed to DCT if that's what was on the sales floor ....
Nah many guys swear by manual. Truth be told they just aren't great at it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #84
RPM2-85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 AW

Manuals forever, still in love with the feature. Without it driving stick is a labor of love.

With it, I still love it and it's much less of a labor.....
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2017, 06:27 AM   #85
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Update as the OP in this thread. I'm nearly up to 2000km and have tried the rev-match in heavy traffic, suburban driving, freeway/cruise control on and pushing on over mountain passes.

As somebody who was very wary of the concept, I think it is superb. It doesn't prevent the driver rev-matching but does smooth up shifts subtly and is so, so nice when tired and heading back into the city in heavy traffic. I've DSC-offed a few times just to see how much is me over-riding the function and how much is it taking charge and generally it appears my efforts are still quite satisfactory.

That aside, I'm loving the clarity of the clutch bite point and the lovely, short-throw, slick shift feel. Certainly the nicest manual I've driven in a very long time.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2017, 06:54 PM   #86
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

I'm 1000 miles in and totally love it. Subtle in comfort mode and lightening fast in sport plus. Hammer into a corner, nail the brake and simply downshift. Instant rev match and no worries about the brake as it rev matches. Totally cool.
Appreciate 2
kvndvs59.00
      06-16-2017, 09:53 PM   #87
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Agreed 100%. Not only just in traffic, but I know that I can firmly keep my foot on the brake knowing the car will rev match for me which would be great at the track when you have to put a lot of pressure on the brake pedal.
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 12:47 AM   #88
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 Pure F20 125i MSport 2017

Picked up the car yesterday and was on a 2 hour drive today.

The auto rev match is perfect. Makes you sound like an expert.

The first few times I ended up blipping the throttle. Force of habit. And it caused the revs to go up higher than needed.

So I let the car do its own thing. And it was perfect each time.

But it definitely robs me of the interaction. I feel like a trained monkey pushing levers.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00