BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

01-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #45
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
Got an email this morning from my BMW dealer. $5k markup on M2, $10k markup on CS/CSL. (They said no markup when I originally joined)

I was really hyped about the CS and do prefer the ease of use around town in the 2, but I don't know if I'd want to pay $80k for one.

So I drove this today and the dealer offered $4000 off. I took it.
Awesome car! congrats...
      03-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #46
M2 Maybe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 Series

I've ordered the M2 but the Camaro SS has got my attention.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 04:05 AM   #47
M2 Maybe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Maybe View Post
I've ordered the M2 but the Camaro SS has got my attention.
I recently returned to the US and tested the Camaro SS 1LE versus the M240I (no M2 available) and the Camaro was a lot more fun and felt better dynamically. The M240I still brilliant and more finished but not as exciting. Pretty much decided to cancel my M2 order and get the Camaro SS 1LE.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #48
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
I recently returned to the US and tested the Camaro SS 1LE versus the M240I (no M2 available) and the Camaro was a lot more fun and felt better dynamically. The M240I still brilliant and more finished but not as exciting. Pretty much decided to cancel my M2 order and get the Camaro SS 1LE.
You chose the SS over the M2 based upon your 240i driving experience. Interesting to say the least
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 12:05 AM   #49
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Visibility inside the M2 is amazing but visibility inside the Camaro is practically not existent
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #50
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
You chose the SS over the M2 based upon your 240i driving experience. Interesting to say the least
Well to be fair it's not always easy getting a test drive in an M2.
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      06-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #51
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Well to be fair it's not always easy getting a test drive in an M2.
It's damn near impossible which does a disservice to any "on-the-fence" prospective buyer. I have little doubt the SS L1E is more fun and dynamic than a 240i. Unfortunately, the previous poster based his decision to get the SS based on the 240, not the M2 which is shortsighted.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 11:12 PM   #52
touareg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I've had about 5 weeks in two 1SS rentals while waiting for my M2, and I did a couple of times seriously consider getting the Camaro instead. Prior to that I've test driven an M2, but my fondest memory of a small BMW was my 135i from 8 or so years ago.

That V8 is damn near irresistible and very addictive. It doesn't quite have that midrange punch you get with a good modern turbo, but it revs quite freely, has really good response, and has so much torque right off idle. Even without MRC or 1LE, the suspension is so well tuned - it dives for the apex on twisty roads and is stable even with some mid-corner bumps, but it doesn't beat you up on broken pavement regardless of the speed. Basically it feels like an awesome American V8 paired with a great European chassis. I love using Android Auto, which BMW doesn't offer for any amount of money.

I don't think it's quite as refined as the BMW in some respects. Feels like the BMW is a bit better with road noise, though I haven't driven an M2 in the same conditions I find the Chevy noisy. I prefer the German interior materials a bit more - I remember the leather on the 135i steering wheel feeling so good, but the Camaro one feels vaguely like really nice pleather. Instrument cluster is fine but I don't love it. It is a bit of a chore to reverse the Camaro out of a parking spot, it's so hard to see crossing traffic behind you. I prefer the shorter length and taller greenhouse of the 2er for a DD.

Really I can't fault either car much and definitely get why someone would choose one over the other. There's not really any need to justify your decision either way, just be thankful we have manual-shift options of this calibre in this price range!
      07-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #53
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:
I own a 2SS, and while I haven't driven the 1SS 1 LE, I can tell you the 2SS is a fun car for sure, with tons of torque.
I finally got to drive a manual M2 this past weekend, and I really liked it. Very different car from my camaro (as expected). I didn't get to hit any really nice roads and see what the M2 could really do, but from what I experienced I liked enough to pull the trigger on the M2 and sell my Camaro.

I'm sick of the visibility issue with the Camaro-- which is a non issue when the top is down of course-- but otherwise with the top up, it gets a bit old.

I wasn't overly impressed with the exhaust note on my friend's M2 (sans MPE), compared to my camaro, which I absolutely love and will miss. I am definitely getting the MPE.

AT the end of the day, I liked but didn't love -- my 2SS. Perhaps I would have felt differently had I bought the 1LE, but I doubt it. The suspension would have been a bit different, along with the brakes and bigger tires, but I'm not sure that would have been enough for me to love the car and not take the M2 plunge, which was my original plan last year
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:46 PM   #54
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I like what they did with the refresh on the Camaro and even the interior is better. I ended up getting a C7 since they were willing to negotiate and got the price down to mid 50s. They market the Camaro as a 2+2 Corvette pretty heavily.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #55
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I got a key replaced for the Corvette (due to being scratched up prior to delivery), and they gave me a Camaro RS as a loaner and, it is comfortable to sit in, but it is really still difficult to see out of and the cluster is huge, exacerbating the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 09:34 PM   #56
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

Ok so I drove the M2 and it was pretty fun. The differential made an awful noise when making low speed turns. Interior is nice enough but nothing I really miss in the 1LE. The M2 has more body roll and feels like less grip, probably due to wheel and tire widths. Low rpm power is better with the N/A V8. M2 small size makes it easy to judge. Easily my favorite car of the day. Just has a natural feeling to it.

Overall I would choose
Autocross/Narrow roads- M2
Track/wide roads - 1LE
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 10:15 PM   #57
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Maybe it needed some friction modifier. I had to do that to my mustang when I swapped gears.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 10:56 PM   #58
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Ok so I drove the M2 and it was pretty fun. The differential made an awful noise when making low speed turns. Interior is nice enough but nothing I really miss in the 1LE. The M2 has more body roll and feels like less grip, probably due to wheel and tire widths. Low rpm power is better with the N/A V8. M2 small size makes it easy to judge. Easily my favorite car of the day. Just has a natural feeling to it.

Overall I would choose
Track/wide roads - 1LE
The diff shouldn't be making awful noises. There was a recall on the 2016 and early 2017 diffs I believe. Also some people mistook rocks in the brake shields as the differential making grinding noises. There is an updated part for the brake shields.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 08:15 AM   #59
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:

Overall I would choose
Track/wide roads - 1LE
Interesting take. I'm a bit surprised to hear your thoughts about the greater body roll with the M2, but then again that 1LE suspension is taken from the track focused ZL1, so I guess it should't be to much of a surprise. I didn't get to push the M2 (my friend's) the way I wanted, so I didn't get to test myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 04:44 PM   #60
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep

I should also point out that the M2 gave me much more confidence than the M3!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 03:01 PM   #61
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Maybe it needed some friction modifier. I had to do that to my mustang when I swapped gears.
Do not do this in the new M-diffs, you will ruin the clutch pack.
      08-06-2017, 07:33 AM   #62
M2 Maybe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Yeah that wasn't fair probably. I've now decided to keep my M2 order and drive it when it comes in and then make my decision.
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      08-06-2017, 07:36 AM   #63
M2 Maybe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
I own a 2SS, and while I haven't driven the 1SS 1 LE, I can tell you the 2SS is a fun car for sure, with tons of torque.
I finally got to drive a manual M2 this past weekend, and I really liked it. Very different car from my camaro (as expected). I didn't get to hit any really nice roads and see what the M2 could really do, but from what I experienced I liked enough to pull the trigger on the M2 and sell my Camaro.

I'm sick of the visibility issue with the Camaro-- which is a non issue when the top is down of course-- but otherwise with the top up, it gets a bit old.

I wasn't overly impressed with the exhaust note on my friend's M2 (sans MPE), compared to my camaro, which I absolutely love and will miss. I am definitely getting the MPE.

AT the end of the day, I liked but didn't love -- my 2SS. Perhaps I would have felt differently had I bought the 1LE, but I doubt it. The suspension would have been a bit different, along with the brakes and bigger tires, but I'm not sure that would have been enough for me to love the car and not take the M2 plunge, which was my original plan last year
Thanks for the info.

I decided not the cancel my M2 order and will try it when it comes in to confirm that I like it. I loved the sound of the Camaro but wife hated it and she has weighed in heavily on the side of the M2 over the Camaro which is part of my decision to possibly keep the M2....if I don't like it as much as I hope, I might do the reverse of what you did.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #64
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep

I wouldn't judge a 1LE off an SS convertible experience just like I wouldn't rate an M2 by driving a 240i convertible! They are aimed at very different markets.
Appreciate 0