BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Paint Protection

07-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #23
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves716 View Post
So what are the pros/cons of Suntek vs. Xpel?
Based on what I've read on these forums over a span of time:
Suntek is cheaper, but it's thinner.
Xpel is more expensive, but it's thicker.

I've come across some people complaining about xpel customer service, but I haven't looked for similar comments about suntek, so can't say whether or not one is better than the other in that department.
      07-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #24
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
Based on what I've read on these forums over a span of time:
Suntek is cheaper, but it's thinner.
Xpel is more expensive, but it's thicker.

I've come across some people complaining about xpel customer service, but I haven't looked for similar comments about suntek, so can't say whether or not one is better than the other in that department.
I went to see a comparison of Xpel, Suntek and ClearGuard Nano today. The Suntek and ClearGuard Nano looked very similar, but the Suntek is 6mil vs the ClearGuard and Xpel at 8mil.

The Xpel looked quite a bit less glossy and had a bit more orange peel than the Suntek and ClearGuard.

It looked like the ClearGuard was the best of both, but this was just on appearance. The place I went to view at only installs ClearGuard, but did say that if he had to pick another brand to work with, it would be Suntek because of the finish.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #25
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Nezil,

Congratulations on your new M2. The Paint protection film is expensive, but it helps protect your beautiful new car’s paint job and prevents you from having to repaint your bumper and/or front end.

The good news is that you’re picking the BMW up in SoCal, we have plenty of XPEL installers that would love to help protect your brand new car. Since you do live in Northern California, if there were any issues related to yellowing, cracking, peeling, staining, we have a network of installers that can help you get issues addressed locally.

If you want to get it wrapped when you get back home, we make a product called TracWrap, it’s an easy DIY product that customers use for vehicle deliveries, track days, road trips, etc. We actually have a 10% discount for BimmerPost members on this product.

XPEL ULTIMATE will not reduce clarity or shine of your paint. The film is virtually invisible when it is installed on your BMW. A full front end of XPEL ULTIMATE typically runs about $1,895-$2,195, which includes full hood, full fenders, front bumper, headlight and mirrors. Getting your front end repainted/repaired and matching the rest of the vehicle takes time, cost and potentially hurts the resale value.

To answer your last question, you can apply coatings and/or wax on the film. We tell our customers the film can be treated just like the paint with the exception of a few things. Some waxes contain petroleum distillates, such as naphtha and/or kerosene, which can discolor or damage the film. If you have any questions about products you can use with the film, you can look for the MSDS sheet of the specific product on their website or just send us a PM and we can look for you.

Please let us know if you have any questions, we will be happy to help you out.

Last edited by XPEL; 07-20-2017 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11456.00
      07-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #26
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEL View Post
Nezil,

Congratulations on your new M2. The Paint protection film is expensive, but it helps protect your beautiful new car’s paint job and prevents you from having to repaint your bumper and/or front end.

The good news is that you’re picking the vehicle up in SoCal, we have plenty of XPEL installers that would love to help protect your brand new car. Since you do live in Northern California, if there were any issues related to yellowing, cracking, peeling, staining, we have a network of installers that can help you get issues addressed locally.

If you want to get it wrapped when you get back home, we make a product called TracWrap, it’s an easy DIY product that customers use for vehicle deliveries, track days, road trips, etc. We actually have a 10% discount for BimmerPost members on this product.

XPEL ULTIMATE will not reduce clarity or shine of your paint. The film is virtually invisible when it is installed on your vehicle car. A full front end of XPEL ULTIMATE typically runs about 1800-2100, which includes full hood, full fenders, front bumper, headlight and mirrors. Getting your front end repainted/repaired and matching the rest of the vehicle takes time, cost and potentially hurts the resale value.

To answer your last question, you can apply coatings and/or wax on the film. We tell our customers the film can be treated just like the paint with the exception of a few things. Some products waxes contain petroleum distillates, such as naphtha and/or kerosene, which can discolor or damage the film. If you have any questions about products you can use with the film, you can look for the MSDS sheet of the specific product on their website or just send us a PM and we can look for you.

Please let us know if you have any questions, we will be happy to help you out!
I can attest to this ^^^

I have my full front end in Xpel ultimate, plus rocker panels and the leading edge of the rear fenders. it was about $1800, IIRC. Looks great, as in I can hardly see it.

I did a ceramic coat over the top using Gyeon MOHS. I noticed no difference in the application or the effectiveness of the Gyeon over the top of the Xpel vs. over the painted sections of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #27
pissclams
bad ***** poster _
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3, 2018 F87

I thought that nano coatings were supposed to be applied directly to the paint surface because of the bonding that takes place between the polymer and the paint is stronger than that b/w the polymer and the ppf.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 06:25 AM   #28
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

I had a question for anyone that knows. Is it recommended for example, to take a brand new car, and have the base ie: paint correction, polishing etc prior to applying a protective film?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 11:22 PM   #29
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post
I had a question for anyone that knows. Is it recommended for example, to take a brand new car, and have the base ie: paint correction, polishing etc prior to applying a protective film?
Absolutely recommended. If you didn't do a thorough detail prior to the film, you would thus seal in any imperfections once you applied the protective film!
      07-19-2017, 11:29 PM   #30
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissclams View Post
I thought that nano coatings were supposed to be applied directly to the paint surface because of the bonding that takes place between the polymer and the paint is stronger than that b/w the polymer and the ppf.

You can certainly apply a nano coating to PPF. From the XPel website:

"Yes, Coatings can be applied to the films. Adding a coating does not stop the film from self-healing. Coatings can add a protective layer over the film, which depending on the coating can provide different properties (Please contact your installer or coating company for more information). That additional coating layer, depending on the coating applied, may or may not self-heal. Once the coating wears down and deteriorates, the self-healing qualities of XPEL ULTIMATE and STEALTH will still remain."

At the suggestion of an XPel rep, and also my XPel tech, I have always applied a nanocoating to my PPF. I have used CQuartz UK, and Wolfgang Uber Ceramic, both with excellent results, that did not affect the self-healing properties at all.

I would recommend it highly - it makes cleaning SO much easier, and the PPF stays inherently cleaner of its own accord. Bugs wash off much more easily..... no downside to it at all, apart perhaps from the cost and time associated with the coating!
      07-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #31
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
To add, I recently had to remove a 3 year old PPF from part of my car I just sold. I recommend you put on some wax before you lay down the PPF because it was very hard to remove the 3 year old PPF. Wax will protect the paint while you are removing that sticky stuff.

with that said, I definitely recommend any type of PPF, be it 3M, Xpel, or Suntek. Mine was very cheap 3M brand and it kept the part of my car like brand new after 3 years once it was peeled off.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911

Last edited by termigni; 07-20-2017 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #32
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
To add, I recently had to remove a 3 year old PPF from part of my car I just sold. I recommend you put on some wax before you lay down the PPF because it was very hard to remove the 3 year old PPF. Wax will protect the paint while you are removing that sticky stuff.

with that said, I definitely recommend any type of PPF, be it 3M, Xpel, or Suntek. Mine was very cheap 3M brand and it kept the part of my car like brand new after 3 years once it was peeled off.

My planned Xpel installer informed me that they lay down a coat of Collinite prior to the Xpel installation to ease film removal if necessary. Does this, in any way, hinder the adhesion of the film, or its longevity or beauty? Or warranty?

Thanks.
      07-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #33
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Xpel

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
My planned Xpel installer informed me that they lay down a coat of Collinite prior to the Xpel installation to ease film removal if necessary. Does this, in any way, hinder the adhesion of the film, or its longevity or beauty? Or warranty?

Thanks.
I am not sure this is something that is recommended nor do I think it is frowned upon. I have had instances where we used a quick detail spray to allow the film to move a bit more during alignment. The only issue I could see is the edges and tucked areas having a harder time sticking.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #34
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
I am not sure this is something that is recommended nor do I think it is frowned upon. I have had instances where we used a quick detail spray to allow the film to move a bit more during alignment. The only issue I could see is the edges and tucked areas having a harder time sticking.

Bruce
This all depends on the installer's skill set.

I've just saw a couple of McLarens with PPF and I saw some lift in the corners. very slight, but lift is there even on $300k cars.

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 08:03 AM   #35
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post

Thanks.
sorry I have no knowledge about Collinite. But definitely use some type of wax for sure. you'll spend days trying to remove glue off your paint without any coat over the original paint.

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 03:02 PM   #36
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Waxes, sealants, and protectants are typically designed to reduce the surface energy of the paint. A reduction in this energy will reduce the films ability to adhere properly to the paint and can cause long term adhesion issues. We recommend removing these types of products prior to the installation of the film. These should be applied after the film is installed.
Appreciate 2
termigni1080.00
David.m437.00
      07-25-2017, 03:41 PM   #37
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEL View Post
Waxes, sealants, and protectants are typically designed to reduce the surface energy of the paint. A reduction in this energy will reduce the films ability to adhere properly to the paint and can cause long term adhesion issues. We recommend removing these types of products prior to the installation of the film. These should be applied after the film is installed.
This was one of only two Xpel authorized installers within an hour of me. To become an authorized installer, are they expected to adhere to a set installation protocol? What does it mean to be an Authorized Xpel Installer?
      07-26-2017, 06:52 AM   #38
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Removing Glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
sorry I have no knowledge about Collinite. But definitely use some type of wax for sure. you'll spend days trying to remove glue off your paint without any coat over the original paint.
If you remove the film using steam to loosen the film and not just grab and pull, you will also remove the majority of the adhesive.

Also see Xpel's response to the wax on the paint prior to installation of film.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #39
linjaron
Rep
Drives: tbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I can attest to this ^^^

I have my full front end in Xpel ultimate, plus rocker panels and the leading edge of the rear fenders. it was about $1800, IIRC. Looks great, as in I can hardly see it.

I did a ceramic coat over the top using Gyeon MOHS. I noticed no difference in the application or the effectiveness of the Gyeon over the top of the Xpel vs. over the painted sections of the car.
If I remember correctly, you're in the Seattle area. Which shop did you pick? I'm thinking of doing a full stealth wrap, but have been getting quotes for 8k+. From my research it looks like the 8k doesn't even include custom cut pieces, but rather templates.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 02:23 PM   #40
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by linjaron View Post
If I remember correctly, you're in the Seattle area. Which shop did you pick? I'm thinking of doing a full stealth wrap, but have been getting quotes for 8k+. From my research it looks like the 8k doesn't even include custom cut pieces, but rather templates.
Correct! In Seattle. I used Benchmark Auto in Lynnwood. Very happy with the work they did.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 06:31 AM   #41
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Just wondering about PPF and it's ability to maintain a gloss finish over time so I'm interested in the experience of anyone who has had film on a car for several years.
I'll be taking delivery of my BSM M2 in 4 weeks and from research I'm thinking of getting a full wrap in Suntek PPF. I'll be keeping the car long term, assuming a proper install, careful & regular washing, car garaged, will the PPF be able to maintain a nice gloss for 5-7 or more years (equal to a similarly cared for paint finish)?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 06:46 AM   #42
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Protecting PPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Just wondering about PPF and it's ability to maintain a gloss finish over time so I'm interested in the experience of anyone who has had film on a car for several years.
I'll be taking delivery of my BSM M2 in 4 weeks and from research I'm thinking of getting a full wrap in Suntek PPF. I'll be keeping the car long term, assuming a proper install, careful & regular washing, car garaged, will the PPF be able to maintain a nice gloss for 5-7 or more years (equal to a similarly cared for paint finish)?
If you keep it clean and protected, you should be able to get a great lifespan out of the film. With everything, maintenance is key.

Bruce
Appreciate 1
David.m437.00
      08-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #43
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
If you keep it clean and protected, you should be able to get a great lifespan out of the film. With everything, maintenance is key.

Bruce
So, keep it waxed, like the surrounding paint, and the film should last as long as the paint? Well, 10+ years anyway. Is that what the 10 yr warranty Xpel offers is about?
      08-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #44
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I was concerned about how to get the car to the Xpel shop an hour away on the highway without incurring rock chips in the bumper. So I called the shop, and I like what they suggested: Blue Painters Tape! What a great idea. So I picked up a roll of 2.83" width 3m ScotchBlue painters tape, and after I take delivery next month, Ill just wrap the front bumper in that tape end the worry of how to get a pristine bumper to the detailer!