BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Z06 is Killing it on the Nurburgring, thats stick shift

07-21-2017, 02:58 AM   #45
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Not too shabby. Still prefer the zl1 1le over the zo6, or the grand sport which doesn't have the over heating issue.

Can't believe the AMG GTR outran the 918.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #46
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Not too shabby. Still prefer the zl1 1le over the zo6, or the grand sport which doesn't have the over heating issue.

Can't believe the AMG GTR outran the 918.
ZL1 has the same engine as the Z06. GM has said the LT4 engine has been revised along with the cooling for it so both cars shouldn't have any overheating issues. Which I haven't heard anything from either the Vette or Camaro forums or any car reviewers.

Lets hope they don't make the same mistake with the new ZR1.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #47
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Here is the problem with Vettes... the vehicle itself is a stellar performer and sounds great but everything about the car ends there.

1) Vettes are everywhere... everywhere.
2) The design got boring after about 1 year since there was so many of these cars around.
3) All out, the car is fun... just driving around at 5/10, the car is zero fun.
4) The auto transmission should not be within a mile of this car... it sucks ass.
5) The interior is not a good place to be... its better than before, but you dont want to be there too long, and yet its a 100K car.
6) its a large car with a long hood, it makes the car feel like a truck.
7) go to a car meet, and look at the crowd driving Vettes, it is always the same
8) Z06 resale values took a massive shit after the limp issues and factory discounts
100% agree. With number 1, 2, 7 and 8. I don't even look at them any more, to many and it lost it's attraction really fast.
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 11:55 PM   #48
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
100% agree. With number 1, 2, 7 and 8. I don't even look at them any more, to many and it lost it's attraction really fast.
Hey....kinda like E90/E92's
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 12:13 AM   #49
kamber
E90
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff View Post
Hey....kinda like E90/E92's
Lmao quoted for truth; M3's are dime a dozen.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #50
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

In wealthier areas, Corvettes are actually quite rare. You'll see two or three 991 GT3s on drive through Palo Alto before any late-model Corvette. But, yes...they are absolutely everywhere in the flyover states, Florida, places with an older/retired blue-collar population.

I have a ZR1 on order and I'm quite confident it will remain a rare sight around these parts. I can't remember the last time I saw a C6 ZR1 on the road.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 01:52 PM   #51
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
In wealthier areas, Corvettes are actually quite rare. You'll see two or three 991 GT3s on drive through Palo Alto before any late-model Corvette. But, yes...they are absolutely everywhere in the flyover states, Florida, places with an older/retired blue-collar population.

I have a ZR1 on order and I'm quite confident it will remain a rare sight around these parts. I can't remember the last time I saw a C6 ZR1 on the road.
I live in a small, gated community. There's a pretty broad spectrum of wealth in there (from me, on up). But something that sums it up is that one guy, middle aged, pretty nice guy, but leaning towards the Harley crowd, has a yellow C7 Z51 that he keeps pretty much always ready for randomly occurring car shows.

Another, younger guy, just a few houses over daily drives his F12, but keeps a C7 Z06 in the garage on a trailer. It's a fully gutted track car with a monster wing, it frequently has bashed or missing body panels and certainly is never clean.

It's fun to see how different people, in different financial brackets, treat similar cars. Both seem to enjoy their C7s equally.
Appreciate 2
maniz617.00
      07-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #52
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Here is the problem with Vettes... the vehicle itself is a stellar performer and sounds great but everything about the car ends there.

1) Vettes are everywhere... everywhere.
2) The design got boring after about 1 year since there was so many of these cars around.
3) All out, the car is fun... just driving around at 5/10, the car is zero fun.
4) The auto transmission should not be within a mile of this car... it sucks ass.
5) The interior is not a good place to be... its better than before, but you dont want to be there too long, and yet its a 100K car.
6) its a large car with a long hood, it makes the car feel like a truck.
7) go to a car meet, and look at the crowd driving Vettes, it is always the same
8) Z06 resale values took a massive shit after the limp issues and factory discounts
1) There are far more 3 series and 4 series BMW's than there are corvette stingrays, does it make the M4/M3 boring or un-special?
2)Ditto
3)Have you driven one?
4)Yea thats true
5)Its not as good as benz or audi but neither is BMW, M4's as standard come with cloth seats. It's an 80,000$ car and its a decent interior for what it is,high quality contrast stitched leather all over the dashboard and doors with almost everything else being soft-touch material.
6)Its 1/10 of an inch longer than an e46 m3 how is it a "large car"? it has a long hood but its low and slopes dramatically toward the front. If you're sitting a foot lower than you do in a BMW how does it feel like you're "driving a truck"?
7) you don't by cars for the crowd who drive them do you?
8)That's not true at all.
Appreciate 2
swanson733.00
      07-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #53
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrENDeatH View Post
How does the Vette hang with the M4? I've been looking. I think I'd rather take a CPO M4 still though for creature comforts.

Would be like the M4 vs a base model Civic.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #54
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerworld View Post
1) There are far more 3 series and 4 series BMW's than there are corvette stingrays, does it make the M4/M3 boring or un-special?
2)Ditto
3)Have you driven one?
4)Yea thats true
5)Its not as good as benz or audi but neither is BMW, M4's as standard come with cloth seats. It's an 80,000$ car and its a decent interior for what it is,high quality contrast stitched leather all over the dashboard and doors with almost everything else being soft-touch material.
6)Its 1/10 of an inch longer than an e46 m3 how is it a "large car"? it has a long hood but its low and slopes dramatically toward the front. If you're sitting a foot lower than you do in a BMW how does it feel like you're "driving a truck"?
I think some people just gravitate toward certain brands. I don't own a Z06, but did buy a Stingray a couple weeks ago to go with my 135is. I feel like it's very fun to drive all the time. The interior is very nice and rivals BMW in some areas. Stingray is about the same size as the M2, so it's pretty small.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 03:24 PM   #55
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerworld View Post
2)Ditto
3)Have you driven one?
4)Yea thats true
Let me preface this by saying that I've owned nothing but BMWs my entire life ('00 325i, '01 330i, '07 335i and '11 135i, so I think I would qualify as a BMW fanboy... until this year when I bought a '17 Corvette Grand Sport. For the uninitiated, this is the middle model (until the ZR1 debuts) and it basically has the Z06's chassis with the Stingray's base engine with only 460 hp.

I agree with everything you said here. Especially the part about BMW 3 and 4 Series cars being everywhere around here, meanwhile Corvettes are pretty rare but this may vary by your location. Doesn't make either car better or worse, just stating a fact.

The interior is decent, nothing to write home about but neither was any of my BMWs.

Yes, Corvettes are wide, especially the Z06 and Grand Sport with the wider body, which is good for a sports car but they aren't large cars by any measure. They are no longer than your average car. Yes, the hood looks comically long due to the low and stretched out proportions and cab-rearward design but forward visibility is actually better than my BMWs because the hood slopes downward aggressively in the front, whereas BMWs are more flat. The forward visibility on the Z06 is probably worse because of the larger hood bulge.

The one thing I'll concede to is that the automatic is competent at best and really does not belong in a Corvette. GM should have offered a DCT transmission.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 12:00 PM   #56
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

I still love the C7 Z06 and it hasn't grown dated to me yet. I prefer the darker colors that hide some of the busyness of the black accents and aggressive folds. Heck, I still contemplate moving to one from my TTS. I agree that the number seen on a daily basis is dependent on region. Around here, I see a lot of vettes but rarely newer Z06s or Grand Sports. And I've probably seen 2 C6 ZR1s since they've been out.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 10:13 AM   #57
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
lack of feeling connected to the car
Put it in track mode on slightly bumpy roads and you will feel like your spinal cord is bolted to the chassis

Last edited by shiv.nandak; 10-03-2017 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #58
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
It's fun to see how different people, in different financial brackets, treat similar cars. Both seem to enjoy their C7s equally.
Very well said. Either an M4 (current or future) or Z06 will be my "forever car" with a manual transmission once MTs (or transmissions in general) die off.

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00