BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Rough Logs on bm3 Multimap Stage 2 Tune. Requesting Insight

07-06-2023, 08:14 AM   #23
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I would pull plugs 1-2-3 check the gap and reinstall - try even switching them around. Then give it another go.
A lot of people supplement the octane with a splash of E85, you could try that.
Plugs were pre-gapped to .031" which I checked before installing them, same gap as the plugs I took out. I'm not opposed to trying some ethanol again, but it's only at certain gas stations so I'd rather not rely on having it available at every fill up.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 08:30 PM   #24
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I added two gallons of ethanol and got a few more logs today, they are at the bottom of the original post. It doesn't appear that the extra ethanol did much to clean up the timing compared to the logs I took the other day. I actually had 2 knock events in the last log, which is concerning.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 10:39 PM   #25
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

I know you’ve tried e85 but maybe cctane booster and or splash of unleaded VP 98 to isolate it as an octane issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 07:43 AM   #26
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

There is a consistent issue with CYL 3 and timing. I think it's beyond the tune. Try cleaning the MAP.

Try flashing back to stock and seeing if the problem is still there? Possibly a faulty knock sensor or something else perhaps?
      07-11-2023, 10:04 AM   #27
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
I know you’ve tried e85 but maybe cctane booster and or splash of unleaded VP 98 to isolate it as an octane issue?
I would like to stay away from octane booster, but yeah I can maybe try giving race fuel a shot just to see what happens.

Quote:
There is a consistent issue with CYL 3 and timing. I think it's beyond the tune. Try cleaning the MAP.

Try flashing back to stock and seeing if the problem is still there? Possibly a faulty knock sensor or something else perhaps?
Yeah, it seems like my biggest timing corrections are consistently on cylinder 3 and occasionally on 4. Going off the wall of logs, knock is mostly happening either between shifts or in a similar rpm band every time too. I'll try flashing back to stock again and cleaning the 2 MAP sensors to see how things look. I really hope I don't have some major engine issue here that's being exacerbated by running the tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 10:46 PM   #28
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I haven't cleaned the MAP sensors yet, but I flashed back to stock and took some more logs earlier today. Timing is looking a lot better at only 3 degrees off target at most and no knock at all. Whatever the underlying issue is, it seems it's only showing up in the logs when running a non-stock tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 07:30 AM   #29
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaze View Post
I haven't cleaned the MAP sensors yet, but I flashed back to stock and took some more logs earlier today. Timing is looking a lot better at only 3 degrees off target at most and no knock at all. Whatever the underlying issue is, it seems it's only showing up in the logs when running a non-stock tune.
Still on cyl 3?
      07-12-2023, 08:37 AM   #30
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Still on cyl 3?
I put them in the first post. 1 log had corrections on cylinder 3, 1 on 4, and one on 2/4/6. The rest had no timing corrections at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 05:34 PM   #31
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

Slightly off topic, I noticed you have a Dorch stg1 HPFP. How does the car feel with the stock tune and upgraded HPFP installed?

I've been trying to figure out if it's safe to run an upgraded HPFP with stock tune for smog purposes (due next year or two) and every HPFP manufacturer I talked to said I needed a tune for the HPFP to function...

CA smog does a checksum for aftermarket tunes so I have to flash back to stock and lock before I take her in.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 08:36 PM   #32
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altra View Post
Slightly off topic, I noticed you have a Dorch stg1 HPFP. How does the car feel with the stock tune and upgraded HPFP installed?

I've been trying to figure out if it's safe to run an upgraded HPFP with stock tune for smog purposes (due next year or two) and every HPFP manufacturer I talked to said I needed a tune for the HPFP to function...

CA smog does a checksum for aftermarket tunes so I have to flash back to stock and lock before I take her in.
I'm on the stock tune but my DME isn't locked and I have the dorch pump option checked in the map config in bm3, no issues. Everything I've read said the tune needs to be configured for an aftermarket hpfp for it to run correctly so I'm not sure if there's any way to make this work for you.
Appreciate 1
Altra265.50
      07-13-2023, 07:34 AM   #33
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altra View Post

The B58Tu pump does not require a custom flash to run.