BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > DIY: M2C Always on seat emblems / OG M2 emblem light retrofit

04-13-2023, 03:03 AM   #1
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
DIY: M2C Always on seat emblems / OG M2 emblem light retrofit

Hey guys! Recently picked up some M2C seats for my OG M2. I just wanted to share how I went about powering the lighting in the seats for the M2 emblem. This should work for all F22s, F87s, and their 1 series counterparts!

I wanted to have it setup so that the lights would be always on while driving AND when unlocking the car. So I figured out that I needed to tap the red/grey wire that runs throughout the car (this is the wire that controls the orange ambient lighting for the iDrive controller, radio buttons, etc.).

In the F8x cars, you can easily tap this wire in the rear console right next to the rear cig lighter but unfortunately this wire is not present for us 2 series owners in the rear console as there is nothing to be illuminated in the rear seat. So the next best place I could find one was the drive mode controller; heres how you do it:

What you'll need:
- 2x part number 61130005197
- some 18 gauge wire
- positaps/t-taps (or something to tap a wire with)
- 2 butt connectors
- zipties
- flathead screwdriver

1. Start by removing the yellow connector from the seat. From there, use a small flathead screwdriver to remove the black socket from the yellow plastic molding on the CAR'S SIDE of the harness. Once you get the socket free from the tab, it will slide right out. Consult any seat swapping DIY's to see how this works.

2. Insert one of your new wires (61130005197) into pin #7 on the car's side of the harness (in the black socket). Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic of this but examples are available online everywhere. IF YOU HAVE AN M2C WITH M SEATS FROM THE FACTORY, you will currently have a purple wire in pin #7; remove this wire with a small flathead screwdriver (depress the pin and pull it out), wrap it in electrical tape, and discard it. You're going to replace this purple wire with your new one (61130005197).

3. Extend the with some 18 gauge wire and a butt connector. Route this cable close to the OEM harness so that everything slides back together smoothly. Make sure to replace any zipties you had to cut along the way and also use zipties to route this cable alongside your OEM harness. You're going to route this cable from the floor of the car, in between the gap in the front and rear carpets, and up to the center console where the iDrive controller is. It's much easier to route this wire with the seat out. For reference, I used blue wire for the passenger side and green for the driver's side.

4. Route the cable through the center console and get it so that it's sitting directly alongside the drive mode switch. Removing the shift boot (or DCT cover), iDrive controller trim, and the drive mode switch are necessary for this. Make sure you use zipties to keep the wire out of the way of the shifter (very important if you have a 6MT).

5. Repeat this process on the other side of the car. At this point, you will now have two 18 gauge cables sitting right next to the plug for the drive mode control switch.

6. Strip some wire off the ends of each of the 18 gauges and twist them together. Insert them into the t-tap and crimp them together. Use some electrical tape to clean everything up (not pictured).

7. Tap the GREY AND RED WIRE that plugs into the drive mode rocker switch. This will be much easier to do if you have the switch unplugged.

8. Put everything back together, test it, and you're done! Your seat emblems will now turn on whenever you unlock the car (with auto headlights enabled), whenever the parking lights are on, or whenever the headlights are on! Enjoy and lmk if you have any questions/need help!
Attached Images

Last edited by samsamdar; 04-13-2023 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 2
gphung193.50
Smiler1.50
      04-14-2023, 02:35 AM   #2
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Nice job, I wired mine to the led light in the footwell.

Was easier that way for me, could just run one wire down each side of the car. Plus I wasn’t too keen having them permanently light at night as I’d find them distracting
Appreciate 3
      04-14-2023, 05:24 PM   #3
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF87LCI View Post
Nice job, I wired mine to the led light in the footwell.

Was easier that way for me, could just run one wire down each side of the car. Plus I wasn’t too keen having them permanently light at night as I’d find them distracting
Nice! I personally love the way they look lit up at night so to each their own!