BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Questions from Soon-to-be M2 Owners

10-30-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Questions from Soon-to-be M2 Owners

Hi all, as noted in some other threads I've posted on, we're about to be new M2 owners, and this will be not only our first M car but also our first BMW. To say my wife and I are excited is a huge understatement.

We've requested a May 2018 window for European delivery and are still waiting for approval (if that's the right term) from the factory for the time period we've requested. If it doesn't happen, we'll gladly take a USA delivery. Deposit has been placed, we're "on the list", and a prelim order has been submitted to the factory to request ED.

We've still not driven an M2, of course, but visited the dealer this weekend to help confirm the DCT vs. 6MT decision. They let us drive an M240i 6MT coupe, an M4 DCT and M4 6MT. I've read enough "DCT vs. 6MT" threads, and we know this is not a decision anyone can help with, so this post isn't about that. But I wanted to ask a couple of questions that should be easy for the BMW veterans here.

First, my wife and I are both leaning strongly towards the 6MT, with only one issue. She's 5' tall...actually maybe 4' 11". And with the seat fully forward, as far as it will go, and wearing appropriate shoes, she can press the clutch to the floor but it requires using the tips of her toes and sort of reaching. Not impossible, but not a natural leg motion. I understand that something like the UCP Ultimate Clutch Pedal can shorten the travel, but I don't think it solves the issue of full to-the-floor engagement. Can anyone who's installed a UCP confirm this, or suggest another adjustment? She can drive manual and is excited to, but the travel to the floor is about 2 inches too long for her inseam.

Second, driving the M240i before the M4 allowed us to compare multiple seats. The M4 seats were beautiful but we actually strongly preferred the 2-series seats. The Merino is obviously nicer than the Dakota, but in terms of seating structure and shape, we both preferred the seats in the M240i. She's small, as mentioned, and I'm 5'8 and about 162lbs. The headrest on the 2-series seats falls in exactly the right spot, as do the side bolsters. It really highlights that seats are the kind of thing you can't choose from photos - I'd have quickly picked the M4 seats from a photo but in person it felt like the 2-series seat was made with my exact body in mind. We're hoping you guys & gals can confirm that the seats in the M2, aside from color and stitching, are exactly the same as we experienced in the M240i? We really want those seats, and if it's true that the next version of the M2 might have different seats it highlights that we need to get this purchase done before the changeover.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Look into the BMS clutch stop to reduce the travel a little bit more.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1260588
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2017, 06:53 PM   #3
bartginger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

M2 seats are exactly the same as those in the M240i, other than the color of the stitching.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 07:54 PM   #4
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

Clutch stop! Excited for you guys, best of luck!

Also, it's pure speculation, but there's the possibility of the next gen m2 not having a 6MT as an option. Articles have been going back and forth, but we all understand that it may be an inevitability in the future regardless of which generation. Enjoy it while you can (before you move to Porsche!)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #5
arquitecto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MG 6MT, '03 E39

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2003 BMW 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogerf View Post
Look into the BMS clutch stop to reduce the travel a little bit more.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1260588
Look into this for sure. The engagement point of the clutch is no where near the floor. There is plenty of extra travel in the stock setup, 2-3 inches at the very least. I installed the bms clutch stop within 5 minutes of taking delivery at the performance center. Actually did it in the parking lot after the factory tour. It took less than 30 seconds to install and makes a huge difference.

My suggestion would be to order the clutch stop, only costs $10, and see if the dealer will allow you to test it by temporarily swapping out the standard one on their 240. It is completely reversible and requires no tools. You just reach your hand up under the clutch and feel around until you get your finger on the stick one and yank it out. Then just press on the new one. Have your wife try it and then swap it back to stock before you give the car back.

If the dealer won’t play then you could ask to take it for another “test drive” and do it yourself when they aren’t around or try to find a local forum member that either has it already or is willing to try it out.

The 6MT is really a joy to drive and absolutely worth trying out such a simple fix to see if it will your address your concern.

Best of luck!
      10-30-2017, 08:58 PM   #6
SteveGiant
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 - LBB /6-spd / Exec.

Scottsdale AZ checking in! My car is being built right now, but when it's delivered in December the clutch stop is the first mod that I'm going to do. I'll order it before the car comes in. I've had one in all of my manual cars including two BMWs and it really improves the shifting experience. I'm just under 6' but with the seat adjusted correctly I have a feeling that it just might do the trick for your bride.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 09:31 PM   #7
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

afwares, As others have said, BMS clutch stop. It will raise the clutch floor about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, doesn't sound like a lot but it makes a noticeable difference. Then throw in a small back cushion for when your wife drives it and it may be all she needs.

I did a late May of 2017 Euro Delivery and totally enjoyed it. The days are long and the crazy rush of tourists has not yet started. You & your wife will totally enjoy it and Congrats on the M2!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #8
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Fantastic! Thank you to everyone for the quick and helpful info. It's great to get good news.

I confess to being the least technical person here, but I read through the threads at the links provided and if I'm following properly the BMS clutch stop will literally change the floor/stop point of the clutch, as if my wife is reaching the floor of the car several inches sooner. That's exactly what we're looking for - not just for the sake of leg reach and comfort, but to also avoid that feeling she had of being right on top of the steering wheel I figured we'd be lucky if there were a multi-hundred-dollar solution - can't believe the answer is $10 away. I passed on the info, and she's even happier.

@geogerf, thanks for the link, that's exactly the type of info I needed to get educated.

@bartginger, thank you as well - we were shocked at how much we were digging the M240i seats, so glad to know we're getting them in the M2.

@wanofakind01, thanks for sharing in the excitement. Next car won't be a Porsche though. Got that out of my system with a Euro-spec 5-speed 928 some years ago. The 928 was always my college-age "dream car", and finally got one and loved it. Sold that and bought a Ducati, of all things. Then someone dropped a couch out of the back of a pickup truck in front of me on the 101 Loop at 70mph, and I got lucky and just missed it, but realized I was playing Russian Roulette on that thing every time I rode it so off it went.

@arquitecto, great suggestion, I follow you exactly.

@Stevegiant, nice to hear from a neighbor. Would you believe, with all the Lambos, Ferraris, McLarens, etc. I've seen around Scottsdale I've still only seen one M2 in the metal, in white, and it was dented and covered in dust?
Appreciate 1
Ymalo22113.00
      10-31-2017, 01:58 AM   #9
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Would you believe, with all the Lambos, Ferraris, McLarens, etc. I've seen around Scottsdale I've still only seen one M2 in the metal, in white, and it was dented and covered in dust?
You'll soon be seeing another one around.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 05:47 AM   #10
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

The M2 seats are much more comfortable then the M4 seats bc of their adjustability imo. However, for aggressive driving the M4 seats are superior in keeping you in one place.

If I was tracking the car a bunch I'd probably prefer the M4 seats but since the M2 is my street DD I'm happy with those.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #11
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
M2 seats + Schroth Quickfit / Quickfit Pro harness = comfort and no more sliding around. This is my plan at least...
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 11:37 PM   #12
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
afwares, As others have said, BMS clutch stop. It will raise the clutch floor about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, doesn't sound like a lot but it makes a noticeable difference. Then throw in a small back cushion for when your wife drives it and it may be all she needs.

I did a late May of 2017 Euro Delivery and totally enjoyed it. The days are long and the crazy rush of tourists has not yet started. You & your wife will totally enjoy it and Congrats on the M2!
Thanks Joe, much appreciated. I don't think we'll be there more than 7-8 days, but May seems like a good month to go. I hope the factory can hit our time window...still waiting to hear.

@Wharf rat, where in the valley are you, and have you also just placed an order?

@Packpride85, my situation is like yours. Not that I wouldn't take it on a track if given the opportunity, but if I'm honest I'd have to say that I'm not an experienced high-speed, at-the-limits driver. I've just never had the opportunity to play in that way.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 11:59 PM   #13
fvfvsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 | '22 X3 M40i

Looks like a few 'Zonies will be adding to the M2 population over the next few months. I've only seen one M2 (in Mineral Grey) driving around Chandler so far.

My Alpine White M2 just started its voyage to Port Hueneme on the Theben this past Sunday.

She should be in the Garage by early December. The clutch stop will be my first mod.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 12:41 AM   #14
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

@Wharf rat, where in the valley are you, and have you also just placed an order?
Chandler. My LBB M2 is scheduled to finish production on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #15
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wow, small world. We're in Chandler, near the skate park on Knox.

There's a long way to go for us at this point, but we're doing prelim homework on PPF for the M2. My wife loves the Xpel Stealth Satin/Matte wrap, and we've wrestled with the idea of doing a full wrap vs. just a Suntek frontal clear. We should compare notes if you guys do wraps of any kind - we intend for this to be a long-term ownership experience and we want to preserve the paint. We've just started making calls, getting quotes, so that we can determine which direction we're going. It's early, but we're excited so getting a head start.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #16
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Adjusting the lumber support all the way out may give one a little push forward as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #17
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wow, small world. We're in Chandler, near the skate park on Knox.

There's a long way to go for us at this point, but we're doing prelim homework on PPF for the M2. My wife loves the Xpel Stealth Satin/Matte wrap, and we've wrestled with the idea of doing a full wrap vs. just a Suntek frontal clear. We should compare notes if you guys do wraps of any kind - we intend for this to be a long-term ownership experience and we want to preserve the paint. We've just started making calls, getting quotes, so that we can determine which direction we're going. It's early, but we're excited so getting a head start.
I'd be curious to see what your research yields, as I'm also looking to protect the paint.

Got my first accessory yesterday, a Uniden R3 detector.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 03:50 PM   #18
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just saw my first LBB M2!

We drove up to Scottsdale for Cars & Coffee, and were winding through the rows when I spotted a BMW in a color I'd never seen leaving the parking lot, about 3 aisles away. I ran that direction and caught him before he drove off - Tom, if you happen to be a member of this forum and read this, thanks for seeing me in the rear view mirror and stopping. We know you were leaving to meet friends, and we appreciate that you took a few minutes to chat.

For those of you who, like us, have never seen the Long Beach Blue in person, I now understand why so many people have posted that pictures don't capture the color. It's so true. It's STUNNING in person. And it does look very different from what you see in many press photos and videos. It's more than just blue. It's so vibrant. It really is a color that has to be seen in person in natural sunlight to be appreciated, and it seems to change in hue as the level of light and angle varies - were my eyes playing tricks or do you LBB owners find that the color shifts gently at different times of day?

@ wharf rat, I've got contacts at two places about PPF and will call both. Tom, the gentleman who had the LBB at Cars & Coffee, had done a frontal Xpel on his car but not the A pillars or lower rocker panels and he advised not skipping those locations now that he's had the car for a year and put some mileage on it. If we can swing it, we may go full-body, but will get some info for various options. I don't need to tell you - Arizona is tough on paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 09:58 PM   #19
fvfvsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 | '22 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
I'd be curious to see what your research yields, as I'm also looking to protect the paint.

Got my first accessory yesterday, a Uniden R3 detector.
Contact Wills & Dani at Windows and Wheels.

They do Xpel and Suntek Ultra. and Cquartz coatings. IMHO, the Suntek is better looking.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #20
mikeyjdoza
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18 SMB M3cs

Well, my friends, I also live in Chandler. Funny story, I traded in my LBB M2 back in July, tired tirelessly to sell it to a local. Whoever bought it wrecked it 2 weeks later. While test driving a manual M4, my SA at Chapman said "hey your M2 is the shop..." I was thinking... already due for maintenance, thats weird only had 5K miles on it?. Turns out it was there for mechanical repair, broke my heart to see it in such bad shape. I think its fixed and back in the wild.

I live across from skate land and my M4 is on the Theben! haha it really is a small world.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #21
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyjdoza View Post
Well, my friends, I also live in Chandler. Funny story, I traded in my LBB M2 back in July, tired tirelessly to sell it to a local. Whoever bought it wrecked it 2 weeks later. While test driving a manual M4, my SA at Chapman said "hey your M2 is the shop..." I was thinking... already due for maintenance, thats weird only had 5K miles on it?. Turns out it was there for mechanical repair, broke my heart to see it in such bad shape. I think its fixed and back in the wild.

I live across from skate land and my M4 is on the Theben! haha it really is a small world.
Amazing, you are only about 1.5 miles from me!

@Teombe, thank you for the tip, will call them as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #22
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Hi there - no need to be on pins and needles about it - basically, the only thing you need to worry about is getting an allocation; once you have that (which includes a production number), it's a near-certainty that you will get one of your 3 requested ED dates (your CA should ask you for 3 date preferences when he makes the request...). That said, I don't see how he could have made a request already since BMW doesn't work that far in advance - first quarter allocations won't even be released until sometime in the middle of next month, and you would likely have a second quarter allocation for a May ED, which would be from the mid-March release of second quarter allocations. ED cars are built 2-3 weeks ahead of the approved delivery date.

As an example, I got a third quarter allocation in mid-June (order was placed 6/20) for a week 37 build (mid-Sept - car was completed on 9/16), and I didn't get my ED confirmation letter (email) until 8/4; however, I called BMW NA Special Sales (includes ED - number is 1-800-932-0831) and got confirmation of my 10/5 ED date (first choice of the three) a couple weeks earlier.
Hi again Bobert, thanks for following me from that other thread. Let me catch you up on what we know - and you'll realize that we know very little. Not saying that as a knock on the dealer, but this is all new info for us, and maybe it shouldn't be.

- Our SA took a $1000 deposit on October 21 and told us verbally that we had an allocation, that we were on the list and the dealer had enough allocations that we were getting a car
- We do not have a production number
- Our SA did not ask for ED dates - we told him the 11 day window we had available in May and that was that.
- This is the first we've heard about how BMW schedules its ED deliveries in terms of lead-time.
- I don't want to put words in our SA's mouth, but I can best summarize the tone of our exchanges as we would be hearing from the factory any day now about our May ED request.

The reason your info is critical is because we're flying my niece in from Florida to house-sit and pet-sit for us while we're in Germany. I can only get her for a specific window in between her graduation from UF in early May and her leaving for Moldavia (she was just accepted into the Peace Corps) beginning of June. So it's not even about us booking flights or making our own travel plans, or even just being able to get more excited knowing it's happening, it's more an issue of tying up my niece's last month in the states until sometime in 2020. These circumstances require that we know sooner, rather than later, whether our May window will happen or not.

We've been patient with our SA because we just want an M2 - we'll be happy whether we take delivery here or Germany. But if your info is accurate, we may be flying a little blind here, so to speak. Might be time for us to call that phone number you supplied. Thank you again.
Appreciate 0