BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Privacy Glass & Tinted Windows

12-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #1
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Privacy Glass & Tinted Windows

Couldn't find anything about this but has anyone tinted the front (passenger + driver) windows with a car specced with privacy glass (OEM factory tinted rear windows)

I'm not sure if film tinting the front side windows is going to look good with the rear windows, whether being too reflective or having a significant different shade of black

Grateful if anyone can chime in on this
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
Dav3
Major
Rep

No one here tinted the front windows with privacy glass spec'd on their car? damn
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
maliderosF87
Private
Rep
Drives: F87

Bump
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliderosF87 View Post
Bump
Bump?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 02:37 AM   #5
maliderosF87
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalaudio View Post
Bump?
Im having the same issue with the OP so I bumped the thread, is something wrong my friend?

Last edited by maliderosF87; 03-17-2018 at 03:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Bump
Year old thread
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
maliderosF87
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopm2 View Post
Year old thread
your point?
you started the thread yet you did not bother to come back and chime in.
I've searched the whole forum, including threads that discuss tint percentage, yet none mention the combination of factory privacy glass and tint films, except this thread, so your girly, half-assed "omg year old thread" + emoticon reply proves you are a darwin awarded mongoloid who prefers bitching about his period instead of contributing to the community

Last edited by maliderosF87; 03-17-2018 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #8
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
your point?
I've searched the whole forum, including threads that discuss tint percentage, yet none mention the combination of factory privacy glass and tint films, except this thread, so your girly, half-assed "omg year old thread" + emoticon reply proves you are a darwin awarded mongoloid who prefers bitching about his period instead of contributing to the community

Okay so

#1) How am I supposed to contribute if I haven't found an answer myself?

#2) The sigh was meant to indicate my disappointment that no one found an answer to this problem

#3) Go choke on a tzatziki sandwich you fat inbred greek yokel. I actually contribute a lot on this forum when I can, contrary to you.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #9
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Quote:
your point?

Okay so

#1) How am I supposed to contribute if I haven't found an answer myself?

#2) The sigh was meant to indicate my disappointment that no one found an answer to this problem

#3) Go choke on a tzatziki sandwich you fat inbred greek yokel. I actually contribute a lot on this forum when I can, contrary to you.
Why don't you just go ahead and tint it instead of being a little girl crying, and see how it comes out. And its not a year old thread, its 3 months old doofus
      03-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #10
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
Why don't you just go ahead and tint it instead of being a little girl crying, and see how it comes out. And its not a year old thread, its 3 months old doofus
I use the European Time format so whatever

Tell you what, how about I pay you 20$ to tint my windows and clean my shoes?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 09:05 PM   #11
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Quote:
I use the European Time format so whatever

Tell you what, how about I pay you 20$ to tint my windows and clean my shoes?
You are a tool.
      03-19-2018, 01:33 AM   #12
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Hi lopm2,
Quote:
I'm not sure if film tinting the front side windows is going to look good with the rear windows, whether being too reflective or having a significant different shade of black
I don't have a direct answer to your implied question, which I think is about the atheistics of this..?

What I can contribute from is from a "mechanical perspective" in relation to some comments that the dealer I purchased my M2 from made in relation to the factory tinting (in AU its an option called "Sun Protection Glazing") after I had purchased the car. He mentioned to me that this option has absolutely no UV protection at all and that he thought it was utterly worthless - his advice was to tint the windows myself as at least that way there would be some degree of UV protection.

As you can imagine, in AU having UV protection is pretty essential in our environment... and I took his advice and tinted the windows.

So, while I'm not answering your implied visual question, my dealer would probably recommend it purely from the mechanical point of view in that it would give you a degree of UV protection and that it would help keep the heat down ... assuming you chose a product with UV protection characteristics of course

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Appreciate 1
Dav3948.50
      03-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #13
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Hi lopm2,

I don't have a direct answer to your implied question, which I think is about the atheistics of this..?

What I can contribute from is from a "mechanical perspective" in relation to some comments that the dealer I purchased my M2 from made in relation to the factory tinting (in AU its an option called "Sun Protection Glazing") after I had purchased the car. He mentioned to me that this option has absolutely no UV protection at all and that he thought it was utterly worthless - his advice was to tint the windows myself as at least that way there would be some degree of UV protection.

As you can imagine, in AU having UV protection is pretty essential in our environment... and I took his advice and tinted the windows.

So, while I'm not answering your implied visual question, my dealer would probably recommend it purely from the mechanical point of view in that it would give you a degree of UV protection and that it would help keep the heat down ... assuming you chose a product with UV protection characteristics of course

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Thanks for the insightful reply

Tinting for UV purposes sounds like a good idea from a mechanical point of view. Do you also tint the windshield there in Australia?

My only issue with tinting on a BMW is with the imperfections around the dot matrix and the distortion of light in the rear window

I only found a post about a guy with an X-something tinting front windows with privacy glass and the results where not particularly clear
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #14
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
You are a tool.
k bye
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 05:16 AM   #15
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Hi lopm2,
Quote:
Do you also tint the windshield there in Australia?
No - or at least I've never seen it: I'm pretty sure that's prohibited here. There are also restrictions on the maximum tint that can be applied: where I live, the tint has to let through a certain % of the light. From memory, I think that it cannot block more than 30% of the light ... someone else may correct this

Quote:
My only issue with tinting on a BMW is with the imperfections around the dot matrix and the distortion of light in the rear window
I really don't notice this - I'll grant you that there is some minor level of imperfection about the dot matrix but it is very difficult to see unless you're very close too it. I've never ever felt that there is distortion though - I think good quality film and a professional installer should help minimise that.

I've also never noticed the distortion on the X6 ...

I love the look of the car with the windows tinted A great looking car that looks even better in my incredibly biased opinion!

Cheers,
Appreciate 0