BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Comparing the M2 with the M240i

03-21-2017, 08:45 PM   #89
M5XDRIVE
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i, E36 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
I disagree on the audio part. I can navigate my music quicker on iDrive than on the Spotify app.

As far as your one use case for nav, I can do that using connected drive, google search within the car or via concierge. With the latter I can do this while driving.

Tech isn't useful because it's new. It's useful if it has value, and CarPlay has no value. Nice try with the Luddite claim at the end of your post, but I work in tech, so I look at things in terms of value.

You are welcome to your view. You're welcome to enjoy CarPlay, but there is a reason not many people use it.
So how will you search through idrive? Knowing your answer, how is that more seamless?

Its useful because my example is a perfect example why its useful. Instead, try proving my example isnt more seamless?

And "but there is a reason not many people use it."
Where are you getting this data? Are you getting it from because more and more automakers are implementing it? Or are you getting it from because its still new and since there are more older cars on the road, not many people have it YET.
In both cases, doesnt dismiss its usefulness. If people dont use it, its because its still new and not every automaker has it yet in there line up. If its so useless and doesnt add value, wonder why automakers are adopting it. Hmmmm.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 11:27 PM   #90
M2 Maybe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I think most people would be able to negotiate a lower price on the m240i so it would end up cheaper than the M2.
Granted but not by much and if you had to sell the M2 a year later, you would be so much better off in the M@ scenario. My point is that BMW would need to sell the M240I for at least $10K cheaper after getting close to the equipment level in order to make it a equal deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 12:19 AM   #91
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Maybe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I think most people would be able to negotiate a lower price on the m240i so it would end up cheaper than the M2.
Granted but not by much and if you had to sell the M2 a year later, you would be so much better off in the M@ scenario. My point is that BMW would need to sell the M240I for at least $10K cheaper after getting close to the equipment level in order to make it a equal deal.
I had a decked out 435 and wanted to get into a m2. I settled on a m240i for a few reasons:

- residual was insanely low on the m2. Lease cost was about the same as the m3/4. For only a 2k delta in price of the cars, my lease was 400$/month cheaper with the m240i.

- I could buy the m240 I today and had to wait many months for the m2

- I got 12% off of MSRP (53k to 46k) on the m240i, the m2 was either no discount or few Ks over MSRP

- after driving both, both felt plenty fast. M2 was definitely edgier but the m240i held its own

- m240i has more TQ

- m240i felt better suited for DD

You don't get a much faster car wth the m2 - heck from rolling starts the m240i seemed quicker.

BUT you do get a much different driving experience. You do get that feeling of a raw M car, reminded me driving the e46 m3.

Either car is awesome. For the same price and if I was buying, I would probably buy m2 if I couldn't found one. If you're leasing, m240i no question.

B58 engine is really fun and dropping a jb4 in it can really make it a beast. Just need bigger tires to handle all that power and maybe the lsd/xdrive
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2017, 01:29 AM   #92
M2 Maybe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
I had a decked out 435 and wanted to get into a m2. I settled on a m240i for a few reasons:

- residual was insanely low on the m2. Lease cost was about the same as the m3/4. For only a 2k delta in price of the cars, my lease was 400$/month cheaper with the m240i.

- I got 12% off of MSRP (53k to 46k) on the m240i, the m2 was either no discount or few Ks over MSRP

- after driving both, both felt plenty fast. M2 was definitely edgier but the m240i held its own

- m240i has more TQ

You don't get a much faster car wth the m2 - heck from rolling starts the m240i seemed quicker.

BUT you do get a much different driving experience. You do get that feeling of a raw M car, reminded me driving the e46 m3.

Either car is awesome. For the same price and if I was buying, I would probably buy m2 if I couldn't found one. If you're leasing, m240i no question.

B58 engine is really fun and dropping a jb4 in it can really make it a beast. Just need bigger tires to handle all that power and maybe the lsd/xdrive
Good information. I'm not sure that I can get $7K off a 240I from a local dealer but I am buying the M2 at MSRP. The one thing I was surprised at from your comment was you are able to get $400/mo cheaper lease, now that makes the 240I a more interesting proposition.

For me, I don't mind waiting and like the look of the M2 much more so the extra cost and wait are worth it for me. You've made a good case for why you went M240I which is still an awesome car....enjoy.
Appreciate 1
krizze928.00
      03-22-2017, 02:24 AM   #93
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Quote:

- m240i has more TQ

If the car is worth more than the residual value after three years, what happens? Who will get the "profit"? Is the residual fixed or is the car valued after 3 years and you then get money back or pay more depending on actual value vs residual value? Because in my mind there is little doubt that after 3 years the M2 will be worth quite a lot more than the M240i.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 03:02 AM   #94
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangofreshh View Post
So how will you search through idrive? Knowing your answer, how is that more seamless?

Its useful because my example is a perfect example why its useful. Instead, try proving my example isnt more seamless?

And "but there is a reason not many people use it."
Where are you getting this data? Are you getting it from because more and more automakers are implementing it? Or are you getting it from because its still new and since there are more older cars on the road, not many people have it YET.
In both cases, doesnt dismiss its usefulness. If people dont use it, its because its still new and not every automaker has it yet in there line up. If its so useless and doesnt add value, wonder why automakers are adopting it. Hmmmm.
"Its useful because my example is a perfect example why its useful" (sic) - Well that just an unassailable argument, isn't it? Great reasoning, I'll add it to my car immediately...

CarPlay was launched THREE YEARS AGO. It's made little to no impact on car infotainment. There is Plenty of data on here of people who have it and are underwhelmed or downright disappointed with CarPlay. If you want me to confirm your purchase, it's not going to happen.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2017, 03:23 AM   #95
JB330Ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:

- m240i has more TQ

Different strokes for different folks...M2 suits me better.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #96
M5XDRIVE
Private
Rep

Quote:
"Its useful because my example is a perfect example why its useful" (sic) - Well that just an unassailable argument, isn't it? Great reasoning, I'll add it to my car immediately...

CarPlay was launched THREE YEARS AGO. It's made little to no impact on car infotainment. There is Plenty of data on here of people who have it and are underwhelmed or downright disappointed with CarPlay. If you want me to confirm your purchase, it's not going to happen.
And the whole paragraph up there still doesn't show how idrive is more seamless than the example I gave.

Great it was launched 3 years ago, some automakers have contracts with others. Do you really think something that is released, every automaker is going to implement it the day its out? Do you know how the world works? Do you know how business works? Hey guys, self service checkout was out for couple years now, why doesn't every store have it! (context is when it first came out) It's because it doesn't add value, DUH! For an example, Toyota. They had an agreement for SmartDeviceLink. Then recently, Toyota one of the biggest automakers in the world, adopted applecar play because it doesn't add value. Wait, does that make sense?

"There is Plenty of data on here of people who have it and are underwhelmed or downright disappointed with CarPlay. If you want me to confirm your purchase, it's not going to happen."

You don't have to confirm anything, you are avoiding every aspect of this discussion. You are saying idrive is perfectly fine, which I agree. But you have failed to show how it's MORE seamless than my example. And the fact is, it's not so how can you provide one. You initially say its junk and doesn't add value. When technology is faster or is more seamless, it adds value. You don't seem to understand that word in context.
Please, I'd love to see the data! It's more than 5 people right?

I guess Toyota who reaches millions of people worldwide have a stupid marketing team that work in conjunction with engineers to add something like carplay that doesn't add value to their vehicles.

Last edited by M5XDRIVE; 03-22-2017 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #97
DivideBYZero
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I suppose you're new to discussions on the internet. I'm not, so I won't jump and I won't ask how high, i.e., I've told you I think your use case is bunk, so you can either deal with it or not, it's up to you.

If you enjoy CarPlay and think it rips iDrive up, great, but you're in a minority.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:19 AM   #98
M5XDRIVE
Private
Rep

Quote:
I suppose you're new to discussions on the internet. I'm not, so I won't jump and I won't ask how high, i.e., I've told you I think your use case is bunk, so you can either deal with it or not, it's up to you.

If you enjoy CarPlay and think it rips iDrive up, great, but you're in a minority.
Once again, how is iDrive more seamless? Toyota adopting becomes a minority?

Where. is. your. data. coming. from?

You said you could provide.

I'm not new to forums, I've seen plenty of people say "have data" and never show because frankly, they dont. Another internet troll down.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #99
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:

I'm not new to forums, I've seen plenty of people say "have data" and never show because frankly, they dont. Another internet troll down.
I'm a certified Apple fanboy and do like Carplay (wish my MY16 had it ) but man, you have to chill out. He did say it was his opinion it was garbage, doesn't mean you have to agree.

And to play devil's advocate, the reviews and opinions on CarPlay around the web are not super favorable...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #100
M5XDRIVE
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
I'm a certified Apple fanboy and do like Carplay (wish my MY16 had it ) but man, you have to chill out. He did say it was his opinion it was garbage, doesn't mean you have to agree.

And to play devil's advocate, the reviews and opinions on CarPlay around the web are not super favorable...
Totally agree with you when it comes to opinion. The discussion falls apart when someone claims they have data on something that isn't true. Then it just sounds like they are trying their hardest to prove theirs, at the cost of lying? Which I don't agree with.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #101
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

I thought all Apple fanboys drove Audi or Tesla...

Seriously, I'm too old for this shit. The younger generation is too concerned about tech. In a car like the M2 you concentrate on DRIVING THE DAMN CAR.
Appreciate 8
Robin_NL8710.00
BruceM984.50
No Boost4021.00
Destroya371.00
ewohar21.50
JTO245271.50
StephGOD218.50
      03-22-2017, 09:45 AM   #102
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post

Seriously, I'm too old for this shit. The younger generation is too concerned about tech. In a car like the M2 you concentrate on DRIVING THE DAMN CAR.
And on that note can we get back on topic? How is an insignificant feature like CarPlay relevant to this discussion? At least the tangent on differentials pertained to performance this is just stupid. Let's reiterate: the 2 series is an ugly skinny slab sided shit box! The M2 is a real M car (despite being a parts bin conglomeration with no bespoke parts).
Appreciate 1
Win42.00
      03-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #103
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Surprising amount of people caring about the M2's straight line performance in here. There are faster cars for straight line performance than the M2 or the M240i. No one who is buying the M2 is buying it for straight line performance period. It's fast 'enough' on the straight but you buy it for everything else.

They are both great cars but with different focuses. Right now we have a ton of good choices for sporty smallish powerfulish cars finally with a range of choices for different budgets. IMO the M2 may be the most balanced of the bunch while keeping it on the harder core side. This is always what an M car has been - less of a muscle car and more of a balanced car with better handling at the cost of comfort. If I cared less about fun and wanted something more practical but almost as fast (certainly faster in a straight line) I wouldn't go with the M240i but the RS3. 4 doors, awd, better interior IMO and good resale. But for fun I'd take a 6mt m2 any day of the week.
Appreciate 3
BruceM984.50
AngryBaby344.50
      03-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #104
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

I don't lease because over the years I have modded every single one of my cars that isn't a family hauler. It's a disease

And I like a harder edge on my DDs, so it was M2 all the way.

But a $400 lease payment delta between an M2 and an M240i is seriously out of whack somehow.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #105
DivideBYZero
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I've said nothing about Toyota, it's irrelevant and therefore I don't see a need to respond. My data is from this forum, which is freely available to you. I did not say I would provide the data, I told you where it was.

Like I said, you can ask me to jump, you can tell me how high, but I'm right here standing firm. Enjoy your pointless UI overlay.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #106
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
I don't lease because over the years I have modded every single one of my cars that isn't a family hauler. It's a disease

And I like a harder edge on my DDs, so it was M2 all the way.

But a $400 lease payment delta between an M2 and an M240i is seriously out of whack somehow.
That delta isn't designed to get you to move into a 240i. It's designed to move you into an M3. which costs more and has a lower lease payment....but moves you up the BMW food chain.

I have been toying with the idea of moving on from my 981 - it is seriously a great car and the best I've ever had...but alas, it is also in another bracket in terms of monthly costs and overall maintenance. As I have been looking, the M2 and M3/4 have been on my short list of replacements - now a loaded M3 is going to cost you 1K+ a month...but if you can find one around 70K, then you're coming in a lot lower than what it costs to lease an M2.

If you want the M2, it just seems like you should buy it...leasing the M3/4 makes more sense from the leasing perspective, at least from my point of view.
      03-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #107
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:

Ahhhhhh....but alas, the millennial generation is the first generation to ever have less drivers than the one before it. In my experience, people in their 20s don't care about cars in the same way that folks, say 35 and up, seem to.

My love and respect for cars was created out of the close relationship I have with my dad - we spent Saturdays washing the family car, looking at cars on the lots, taking a drive down to the Suds to see what cool shit they had...I don't get the impression that people do that any more. Younger folks are more excited by the whisper-quiet cabin of the latest Prius or Tesla. And while I can appreciate the engineering marvels that those types of vehicles represent, you won't see me in one anytime soon. They just aren't interesting from an experience point of view.

The experience, especially in this segment, is what I would think would drive a potential buyer's decision - and the most important aspect of that experience (in my humble opinion) relates to how the thing drives.

Stepping off soap box.....
      03-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #108
DivideBYZero
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Oh, get over yourself...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #109
M5XDRIVE
Private
Rep

Quote:
I've said nothing about Toyota, it's irrelevant and therefore I don't see a need to respond. My data is from this forum, which is freely available to you. I did not say I would provide the data, I told you where it was.

Like I said, you can ask me to jump, you can tell me how high, but I'm right here standing firm. Enjoy your pointless UI overlay.
Apple carplay becoming standard to almost every automaker is 100% relevant. Why would they be adding something that adds zero value? How does that even make sense to you? Because 5 people on a thread here somewhere said they dony like it, doesn't mean anything. Everything you say is completely baseless.

Attaboy! Stand firm on the data you dont have!

Lets compare thread data on 5 people vs millions!

Last edited by M5XDRIVE; 03-22-2017 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #110
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M240i

Quote:
Quote:

- m240i has more TQ

If the car is worth more than the residual value after three years, what happens? Who will get the "profit"? Is the residual fixed or is the car valued after 3 years and you then get money back or pay more depending on actual value vs residual value? Because in my mind there is little doubt that after 3 years the M2 will be worth quite a lot more than the M240i.
I get to keep the "profit". Also FYI - residual is based off of MSRP and not the sales price.

As my lease is worked out right now, if I buy the car at my residual value, it would be as if I paid 0% interest on my car + I'll be 1000 ahead at the time of my lease ending.

I'm in a good position , j can test out the market then to see if it makes sense to buy if I'm still ahead or just give it back if the value dipped a lot on these m240s
Appreciate 0