BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs M235 on Daily Driving

03-16-2016, 12:42 PM   #45
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I always rev match when I'm driving a manual transmission. You don't need to heel/toe to rev match. Heel/toe means you are pushing it.
What?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #46
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I always rev match when I'm driving a manual transmission. You don't need to heel/toe to rev match. Heel/toe means you are pushing it.
What?
This means you just tap the throttle pedal when shifting( clutch engaged) to make it smoother fwiw . I do it sometimes

I have an m2 6mt on order but since i have an m4 dct for a few days and tried almost everyting i m going to change that to dct.

M4 : Dr Jekyll & mr Hyde
Dct: great!! So fast and still connected

Cheers
Robin( from good old Europe where manual cars are coffee makers lol)

And yes I want that m4 also what a car!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #47
epinfren
Rep
Drives: 10AE Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
My God, I don't know where this "will it be too hard to DD" is coming from? I'd like to see how some of you, who are concerned about DDing the M2, in a 30 year old beater.

It's not like BMW M is creating track day weapons. And it's not like any of us have driven it on the street, except this one lucky guy from UAE. Ask him in the thread if you cannot wait until April.
Precisely. It's not as if this is a dedicated track car simply because it's donning an M badge people.

This kind of question makes it sound like the 235i is the equivalent of an old late 80's Lincoln Grand Marquis couch on wheels land cruiser while the M2 is a Radical. Seriously.
Appreciate 3
      03-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #48
windmagnet
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 ordered

There are quite a few reviews where the car has been driven on the street. I have seen only one review that suggested that the ride was a bit firm.

My short drive of the MT M2 on city roads of varying quality raised no issues for me.

There were a few things I could not assess on this short drive (like whether there is any drone at highway speeds).

I thought the car was very comfortable (but of course until recently I was driving a Lotus Exige)

Seems like everyone is going crazy waiting for this car to come out including me. So many threads descending into "does it sound/go better than an M4?", "is the carbon weave OK?", "which colour?".

If you want a reasonably priced M car, the M2 is f*&^ing brilliant!!!

Can't wait until deliveries start and we get some more reviews and videos from owners.
Appreciate 2
      03-16-2016, 06:11 PM   #49
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmagnet View Post
There are quite a few reviews where the car has been driven on the street. I have seen only one review that suggested that the ride was a bit firm.

My short drive of the MT M2 on city roads of varying quality raised no issues for me.

There were a few things I could not assess on this short drive (like whether there is any drone at highway speeds).

I thought the car was very comfortable (but of course until recently I was driving a Lotus Exige)

Seems like everyone is going crazy waiting for this car to come out including me. So many threads descending into "does it sound/go better than an M4?", "is the carbon weave OK?", "which colour?".

Can't wait until deliveries start and we get some more reviews and videos from owners.
It should feel like an S class Benz compared to an Exige
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 03:35 AM   #50
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmagnet

Funny enough I just drove an Elise S and think that was less harsh and noisy than the M4 with the Aker-blah-blah exhaust. Suspension had to be so harsh to tame the roll on such a heavy car. Where-as the Lotus was so light that it didn't require the harsh suspension.

Not that a Lotus is a viable alternative as a DD, more to do with things like luggage space. Where in comparison a Porsche Cayman hauls cargo like a truck in a relative sense, LOL
      03-19-2016, 12:07 AM   #51
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

Haven't seen too many posts being concerned that the suspension would be too uncomfortable for a DD. Many of us have had past experience in non-adjustable M cars and the suspension compromises on those has always been pretty good. Really the only thing I'm concerned about is the noise level. Seems if I'm going to put up with that I might as well get a true sports car like a Porsche Cayman with the engine right next to me.

All to save a lousy 25 pounds and to market to those wanting 'sound excitement'. And then they didn't even turn the fake sound off. Sigh. Of course, if you want louder, good for you. You're getting what you want.

Last edited by Spook410; 03-19-2016 at 03:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 06:46 AM   #52
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
I test drove the M4 and the M235 back to back and find the M4 quite loud and rough for daily driving purposes. Auto-rev match drove me nuts on the M4, while heel-toeing the M235 felt completely natural to me. I know all this creature comfort would not be missed once the M2 hits the track, but I don't know how many days people manage to get their cars on the track. My highest record is like 5 or 6 days a year. For the other 365 days (yeah, have to drive the thing to the track, so a track day is also a daily drive day), NVH and all that jazz is important to me also.

So, how would one think about the M2 vs the M235 on daily driving? I like the M2 for the track capability and a lil bit of whoring over actually owning an 'M' car. But when it comes down to it, will I be paying more to suffer more during the bulk of my driving time?
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...t-drive/page-2

"On the road, perhaps not as charming

As charming as the M2 is out on the track, this is not a car that tries to charm everyone. Its ride can feel jittery on mottled surfaces—even though it seems to take some of the hardest impacts from the pavement in stride. And road noise is an everpresent whoosh on smooth highways, more of a boom as the surfaces are coarser.

Out on some surrounding two-laners, we put another 50 or so miles on a manual-gearbox M2. It has great clutch coordination and a linkage that reminds us of past M3 models, yet it’s a bit bittersweet, as it’s not entirely the right pick for control freaks. You can’t turn off the rev-matching feature if you don’t want to turn off stability control as well; and while it would get the revs right the majority of the time, we encountered some clumsy shifts on the road when both pointing sharply uphill and downhill.

We’re not by any means going to call the M2 luxurious. You do get a great set of standard features—with handy daily driver items like heated seats, navigation, and adaptive cruise control, and even including collision warning, pedestrian warning with city braking, and lane departure warning. Inside, you’ll find special M surfaces, and M logos for the gauge cluster, shift lever, door sills, and steering wheel. And the seats, of course, are great—not just strong in side support for the track, but pleasant on the back over those pockmarked two-lane highways."

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 07:15 AM   #53
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGrl View Post

As charming as the M2 is out on the track, this is not a car that tries to charm everyone. Its ride can feel jittery on mottled surfaces—even though it seems to take some of the hardest impacts from the pavement in stride. And road noise is an everpresent whoosh on smooth highways, more of a boom as the surfaces are coarser.

Out on some surrounding two-laners, we put another 50 or so miles on a manual-gearbox M2. It has great clutch coordination and a linkage that reminds us of past M3 models, yet it’s a bit bittersweet, as it’s not entirely the right pick for control freaks. You can’t turn off the rev-matching feature if you don’t want to turn off stability control as well; and while it would get the revs right the majority of the time, we encountered some clumsy shifts on the road when both pointing sharply uphill and downhill.

We’re not by any means going to call the M2 luxurious. You do get a great set of standard features—with handy daily driver items like heated seats, navigation, and adaptive cruise control, and even including collision warning, pedestrian warning with city braking, and lane departure warning. Inside, you’ll find special M surfaces, and M logos for the gauge cluster, shift lever, door sills, and steering wheel. And the seats, of course, are great—not just strong in side support for the track, but pleasant on the back over those pockmarked two-lane highways."

Very similar to the 1M. I love it.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2016, 08:16 AM   #54
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Quote:

Exactly.

As a matter of fact , my X1 M sport with 19" run flats is the same.

@G8rGrl

Direct translation:

This ain't no Lexus or Mercedes. It's a sports car. If you want a ride that soaks up every bump and covers every sound then that's where you should look.

The 1M and M2 provide a luxury ride on properly paved roads. If you live in Washington, D.C. Or drive on bad roads in Michigan , or your commute is on cobblerstone roads , then perhaps an M235 or the GT LIKE ride of an M3/ M4 is what you want.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2016, 08:46 AM   #55
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
Funny enough I just drove an Elise S and think that was less harsh and noisy than the M4 with the Aker-blah-blah exhaust. Suspension had to be so harsh to tame the roll on such a heavy car. Where-as the Lotus was so light that it didn't require the harsh suspension.

Not that a Lotus is a viable alternative as a DD, more to do with things like luggage space. Where in comparison a Porsche Cayman hauls cargo like a truck in a relative sense, LOL
That can't be possible. The Elise is a really loud car with zero sound deadening material. Many Elise owners wear ear plugs on extended drives. The Elise with sticky rubber transmits everything to the driver that you run over. The M4 I drove felt like a Cadillac compared to an Elise.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #56
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly.

@G8rGrl

Direct translation:

This ain't no Lexus or Mercedes. It's a sports car. If you want a ride that soaks up every bump and covers every sound then that's where you should look.

The 1M and M2 provide a luxury ride on properly paved roads. If you live in Washington, D.C. Or drive on bad roads in Michigan , or your commute is on cobblerstone roads , then perhaps an M235 or the GT LIKE ride of an M3/ M4 is what you want.
I don't know what I want at this point. I have owned all kinds of suspensions from firm to smooth. I just can't decide what I want next. I'm only getting one!

This tells you how I can't decide: E46 M3, for me, is fine. I like everything about it, no problem with the suspension. But I want a new car. I drove the M4 on the road AND on the track and I don't like the M4. At all. I drove the Camaro 2SS and I like it. Suspension was fine to me, other people think it's too rough. I drove the M235i and I liked it better than the M4. That might make some people's head explode. The sticker on the M4 was $84K. Seeing as I didn't like the M4 at all, it makes sense that I prefer the M235i since I actually liked it.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #57
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly.

@G8rGrl

Direct translation:

I don't know what I want at this point. I have owned all kinds of suspensions from firm to smooth. I just can't decide what I want next. I'm only getting one!

This tells you how I can't decide: E46 M3, for me, is fine. I like everything about it, no problem with the suspension. But I want a new car. I drove the M4 on the road AND on the track and I don't like the M4. At all. I drove the Camaro 2SS and I like it. Suspension was fine to me, other people think it's too rough. I drove the M235i and I liked it better than the M4. That might make some people's head explode. The sticker on the M4 was $84K. Seeing as I didn't like the M4 at all, it makes sense that I prefer the M235i since I actually liked it.

The E46 M3, 1M and M2 have a relatively compact chassis and direct steering of a short wheelbase car and while the suspension is stiff over broken pavement, it's perfect on smooth roads and over large bumps.

For some of us , this translates to a more playful daily driving car than the M3/M4.

If you preferred the M235 over the M4 then the M2 is what you want for sure. I would bet The spring rates are probably about 20-30 percent stiffer than an M235 and the differences are more likely balanced toward performance at higher speeds 70 mph and above while compromising dailying driving comfort as little as possible.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #58
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:

[...]Out on some surrounding two-laners, we put another 50 or so miles on a manual-gearbox M2. It has great clutch coordination and a linkage that reminds us of past M3 models, yet it’s a bit bittersweet, as it’s not entirely the right pick for control freaks. You can’t turn off the rev-matching feature if you don’t want to turn off stability control as well; and while it would get the revs right the majority of the time, we encountered some clumsy shifts on the road when both pointing sharply uphill and downhill.
Reading mostly positive reactions about rev-match when the car is driven on normal roads.

Here's to hoping that the rev-match feature is no nuisance during 6MT mountain driving with stability control active.

Actually, what prompted BMW to decide not to allow owners to simply toggle between rev-match on/off in the iDrive settings (hard preset) ? Pampering ? Fear of gear box damage ? 'Limited settings' as a concept/philosophy ?

We don't mind nosy mothers-in-law, but sometimes we should be able to simply send them home and do our stuff the way we like to do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 06:31 PM   #59
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Reading mostly positive reactions about rev-match when the car is driven on normal roads.

Here's to hoping that the rev-match feature is no nuisance during 6MT mountain driving with stability control active.

Actually, what prompted BMW to decide not to allow owners to simply toggle between rev-match on/off in the iDrive settings (hard preset) ? Pampering ? Fear of gear box damage ? 'Limited settings' as a concept/philosophy ?

We don't mind nosy mothers-in-law, but sometimes we should be able to simply send them home and do our stuff the way we like to do it.
My C7 had rev matching on the 7MT and once I got use to it, I actually liked it. I turned it off at the track but around town and for spirited drives it was enjoyable.

Like you, I can't understand why manufacturers don't just let you turn these things on and off in the settings. For example, BMW should also let you turn the exhaust valves on the M4 on or off in the iDrive settings but doesn't. To me, the more flexibility and customization the better.

Having said that, I don't mind the rev match and I also don't mind turning off DSC to disable it at the track. I'd likely do that in any event.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 10:21 PM   #60
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
I agree. You don't have to be "racing " around to H&T or simply rev match. I never shift down with out a blip. THATS the fun of driving MT for me.
Bingo. Rev-matching means smoother shifts.
Smoother is always better.
At any speed.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 10:23 PM   #61
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

I'm wondering if rev-matching means that speed-shifting is really easy now.
Could save wear-and-tear on the clutch mechanism.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 04:21 AM   #62
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
I'm wondering if rev-matching means that speed-shifting is really easy now.
Could save wear-and-tear on the clutch mechanism.
For some drivers autorevmatching means swears-and-tears so it's not actually win-win is it?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:46 AM   #63
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

I find it hilarious that some of you are insinuating that people who heel and toe around town do it for ego related reasons. Well, I do it pretty much everywhere! It keeps me sharp and I find it fun. I got a manual transmission for a reason! It makes sense that you don't understand daily heel and toeing then justify switching to an automatic transmission. If you do it correctly, and you absolutely can at "normal" speeds, it definitely smooths out the ride and makes for a more enjoyable drive.

To each their own I guess.

Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 11:12 AM   #64
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
That can't be possible. The Elise is a really loud car with zero sound deadening material. Many Elise owners wear ear plugs on extended drives. The Elise with sticky rubber transmits everything to the driver that you run over. The M4 I drove felt like a Cadillac compared to an Elise.
I agree, as I have one. The Elise has very hard suspension and does make a lot of noise when you have the roof on, although, with it off, it's quieter. Since I'm never going to get a test drive of the M2 before I order one I'm very interested in what people have to say about the suspension and noise compared with the Elise. I must say I've never felt the need to wear earplugs though ! I was surprised at the comments about the Exige because that would be very similar to the Elise (same engine, suspension).
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 12:28 PM   #65
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
I agree, as I have one. The Elise has very hard suspension and does make a lot of noise when you have the roof on, although, with it off, it's quieter. Since I'm never going to get a test drive of the M2 before I order one I'm very interested in what people have to say about the suspension and noise compared with the Elise. I must say I've never felt the need to wear earplugs though ! I was surprised at the comments about the Exige because that would be very similar to the Elise (same engine, suspension).

I had one for 3 years and wore ear plugs on long drives. That raspy 4 behind my head got on my nerves. I don't like loud noises though and often I'm the only one wearing ear plugs on motorcycle rides.

I took a 1M for a quick spin and it felt very soft compared to the Elise. The 1M felt smooth and refined with a little muted noise coming through. Where the Elise just feels totally raw and everything comes though. Tires make a huge difference on the Elise. I had a couple sets and the difference was amazing. I had both Elise and Exige (track pack) suspension systems on mine and the ride comfort didn't really change. Tires made a big difference though.

That little engine is loud.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #66
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

I shoved a very noisy exhaust system on it and that drowns out all other noises. Trouble is I can't hear the radio or CD player but it doesn't matter coz the exhaust sounds so good.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 1