BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > More BMW M2 Prototypes Spotted. Testing Tire Sizes and Quad Exhaust

08-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #89
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwvcfii View Post
I don't understand this fetish with carbon fiber driveshafts. You guys do understand that regardless of the weight benefits they are absolutely ridiculously expensive to replace, right? If they are ever nicked during maintenance they will fracture at some point down the road. Good luck getting BMW or your indy shop to pay for that.

Just give me a standard steel or aluminum driveshaft and keep the exotic materials.
Good point... I don't really care about the carbon driveshaft, but it will be very disappointing if BMW skips the CF roof; this is the place to shed weight, and this car (more than any other in their lineup) is the one to focus on weight.
      08-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #90
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwvcfii View Post
I don't understand this fetish with carbon fiber driveshafts. You guys do understand that regardless of the weight benefits they are absolutely ridiculously expensive to replace, right? If they are ever nicked during maintenance they will fracture at some point down the road. Good luck getting BMW or your indy shop to pay for that.

Just give me a standard steel or aluminum driveshaft and keep the exotic materials.
I also don't get the fetish either. People ask for super expensive exotic roof and shaft but then Bloat the cars with every lux option out there. What made the 1M a success was "keep it simple" Less is more. If you don't put all the fluff on it, you will save almost as much weight and have a more rare, focused and special car. The M2 needs to be accessible to the masses and cheaper to maintain down the road. It's really nuts to see people buy carbon bits then putting executive packages, power motorized mirrrors, seats, and all that stuff.

Keep it simple. If you really want lightweight and honestly care about performance, stop ordering BLoaded cars!

Now, some just like the look or cache that comes from CF. In that case, sorry. There are plenty of parts and wraps to get the look. BMW needs a club racer and this is the last hope!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #91
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Use of lightweight parts will reduce the weight of a loaded car as well as a stripped car. I don't understand the argument that only a stripped car deserves weight reducing parts. If I want a fully loaded M2, I would still like to have it weight 200 lbs less than it would without the CF bits, even if it still weighs 100 lbs less than a stripped car. When all is said and done, 3300 lbs is still better than 3500 even if it isn't as good as 3200.

edit: spelling

Last edited by bernstem; 08-15-2014 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #92
sdpauly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2008 Taco

3200 isn't bad if that's where the weight finally ends up. I would also like to see the lightweight bits added as options. CF roof, CF drive shaft, yes and yes. Carbon brakes, maybe, but it would be nice to see the option there...

Also, put me firmly in the camp of "I don't care if the M2 costs more than an M4" If it's faster, it should. Not looking for an M4 on the cheap, looking for the performance of an M4 (or better) in a smaller package.
      08-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #93
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

The M2 is all about ability & weight. BMW M have other cars that handle the saloon territory. CF roof is a must for the M2, otherwise just get a 2-series.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #94
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I can't wait to get up close and personal with one. It's going to look great. I hope those mule wheels make it to production, they look awesome on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #95
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

and I want mine in signal green . . . .
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #96
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
The 1M is Scarlet Johansen, M2 is Gwyneth Paltrow. Two different tastes but both nice. Wish I was Iron Man! : )
Such a great line!
Lol. Awesome
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #97
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I apologize for being so petty but if the engine doesn't get an "S" code, I don't want the M car. The 1M is the ONLY exception to that hard and fast rule. Let's see if they can catch lightning in a bottle twice. I will wait and see. The car looks to be great regardless of engine so I will wait for some comparos/reviews.
High standards from a person with a Toyota.

Guess you must have had your nose in the air and missed out on the 1M, so then you went and bought the " next best thing". At least you contradicted yourself by the end of your paragraph and decided to wait for comparos..
Hey genius, I've owned other cars. The GT-86 is just one more in a long line of 24 years worth. A damn good one too. If you'd even bother to read my signature or go into my garage on this forum you'd see I've owned 2 BMW's and the most recent was a 2011 M3 I owned for 3 years and ordered new. Try going in my garage next time before attempting to disparage LMAO. The only contradiction here is you because if you knew anything about cars you'd truly know I currently own the most critically acclaimed car in recent years. Yes, indeed it's a "Toyota", now whose nose is in the air...
I see you missed my earlier post stating that an M2 with a reworked N54 would be doable. I'm surprised a 1M owner like yourself would have missed that. Oh well, at least one of us does proper research.
In summary I didn't need a 1M when I HAD an M3...you may remove your foot from mouth.
Didn't research you and didn't have time to care. Sorry. Posting from my phone bro!

Your followup post does indeed make me appear to be a genius. If you can say that the ft-86 is an awesome car then what the hell does lacking an S motor designation in a BMW have to do with making a car good or bad ? It doesn't. Period.

I've owned an M car with an S14 ( so of course I am also familiar and was interested in the ft86 and yes it's a great car, an outstanding car in its pricepoint) and I have owned an M car that doesn't have an S motor. Heck the E36 didn't have a "true " S Motor in the US. Still a fantastic car.

I just don't understand the Internet forum practice of making declarative statements about something that doesn't even exist yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #98
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Looks like it needs some spacers in the front
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 06:29 AM   #99
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I apologize for being so petty but if the engine doesn't get an "S" code, I don't want the M car. The 1M is the ONLY exception to that hard and fast rule. Let's see if they can catch lightning in a bottle twice. I will wait and see. The car looks to be great regardless of engine so I will wait for some comparos/reviews.
High standards from a person with a Toyota.

Guess you must have had your nose in the air and missed out on the 1M, so then you went and bought the " next best thing". At least you contradicted yourself by the end of your paragraph and decided to wait for comparos..
Hey genius, I've owned other cars. The GT-86 is just one more in a long line of 24 years worth. A damn good one too. If you'd even bother to read my signature or go into my garage on this forum you'd see I've owned 2 BMW's and the most recent was a 2011 M3 I owned for 3 years and ordered new. Try going in my garage next time before attempting to disparage LMAO. The only contradiction here is you because if you knew anything about cars you'd truly know I currently own the most critically acclaimed car in recent years. Yes, indeed it's a "Toyota", now whose nose is in the air...
I see you missed my earlier post stating that an M2 with a reworked N54 would be doable. I'm surprised a 1M owner like yourself would have missed that. Oh well, at least one of us does proper research.
In summary I didn't need a 1M when I HAD an M3...you may remove your foot from mouth.
Didn't research you and didn't have time to care. Sorry. Posting from my phone bro!

Your followup post does indeed make me appear to be a genius. If you can say that the ft-86 is an awesome car then what the hell does lacking an S motor designation in a BMW have to do with making a car good or bad ? It doesn't. Period.

I've owned an M car with an S14 ( so of course I am also familiar and was interested in the ft86 and yes it's a great car, an outstanding car in its pricepoint) and I have owned an M car that doesn't have an S motor. Heck the E36 didn't have a "true " S Motor in the US. Still a fantastic car.

I just don't understand the Internet forum practice of making declarative statements about something that doesn't even exist yet.
Deleted...not worth my time or energy.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #100
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Such a great line!
Glad someone liked it! A picture is worth a thousand words so fired up photoshop! I really do wish I was Iron Man! : )
Attached Images

Last edited by nachob; 08-17-2014 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #101
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

threesome
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 05:57 AM   #102
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Glad someone liked it! A picture is worth a thousand words so fired up photoshop! I really do wish I was Iron Man! : )
Nice
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #103
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I just test drove an M235i. There needs to be a lot of tweaking on that car if i trade in my 1M coupe for an M2.

M235i feels a lot bigger than my 1M. The car is hanging on it s side mirrors in corners. Looking thru the front screen the hood looks massive and gives you the feel you drive a very big car.

The engine of the M235i is better than the 1M engine. It s much more linear thru 7000 revs and feels almost like an atmo engine.

If they make an M2 out off M235i there needs to be some work done by the M engineers to get a better car then an 1M coupe.

Let s wait and see.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #104
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

08-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #105
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
I just test drove an M235i. There needs to be a lot of tweaking on that car if i trade in my 1M coupe for an M2.

M235i feels a lot bigger than my 1M. The car is hanging on it s side mirrors in corners. Looking thru the front screen the hood looks massive and gives you the feel you drive a very big car.

The engine of the M235i is better than the 1M engine. It s much more linear thru 7000 revs and feels almost like an atmo engine.

If they make an M2 out off M235i there needs to be some work done by the M engineers to get a better car then an 1M coupe.

Let s wait and see.
Same exact thing for me!!! That's why I held off M235i. Exactly that!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #106
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerEngineer View Post
Guys, these are not quad exhausts. They're dual mufflers with twin tips per muff. It's dual exhaust. Get it right or don't say it.

Lastly, the M2 better have at least 385hp because it is nearly as heavy as the old M3 and that car barely did 0-60 mph in. 4.4 sec with 414 hp. Carry over the 235's AWD and it'll be a mid 4 sec machine for sure. We tested a few 235's in the desert in Palm springs at a elevation of 115' with cool 62* air and low DA. We were a little disappointed with our 5.1 sec runs but then recalled that the 235 is nearly 100 lbs more than the 135 was. This typical of what most drivers in low elevations in cool air climates with low humidity will see. Low elevation-high humidity warmer temps >> (above 80*),will see performance suffer. As for high altitude and hot desert climates, I would not even waste the $$ on a performance car in these climes, or in hot humid places like from S. Carolina all the way around south coast to Texas, way to hot and humid.
I totally understand what you are saying but again the emphasis is still more power and everyone they have just accepted that the cars will get heavier. BMW needs to drop the weight and fluff. Yes you can add more power to compensate for the weight and you will get the same or faster 0-60 but handling, feel and braking deteriorates! They have 5000 lb SUVs that get great 0-60 times. We need to stop bandaid-ing bloat with more power. Stop putting so much crap and build a focused hard core model that is truly lighter weight and it will go great with 350hp. or even 320hp! If you took the stock M235i motor and put some real sound on it but took 400 lbs off the car, it would be a monster at 3100-3200 lbs! That's my 2 cents!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #107
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
They should really make this car something special. Something different from all the others. It's been said since the 1M they have moved away from their roots, this car can be the car that brings back the fun, light, and enthusiastic M cars like the E36 Euro Spec M3 and E46 M3 was.
They did a great job with the 1M an ever better job with M235i (LSD equipped), now they need to bring it home with the M2.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #108
GuidoDoc
GuidoDoc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler JKU

Garage List
I get the power to weight ratio isn't the whole story and misses handling and braking effects. But I also expect an M car to be a refined machine. It should have good seats, colors,features and finishes to go with its performance and looks.

Maybe that is because I am not a professional driver trying to win a race. If so I would go for a M235 race chassis and trade an interior for a roll cage. Otherwise this discussion should be about a CSL type version or what Porsche does (did) with it's stripped out models. Make crazy weight savings for the specialty market and give the rest of us an all around great car that kicks butt in every setting, whether I am going out to the track, the winding back roads, to work, or a date.
      08-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #109
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Both good looking rides

Must say the new one is nicer looking and sexier than Gwen-Eth
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #110
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo

Let s wait and see.
I own a M235i and I agree with you 100%...i still love her but the M2 should be better than this
Appreciate 1