BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Issues with Direct Port Injection

03-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Issues with Direct Port Injection

Makes me want a catch can as my next mod:
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #2
f87chas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Any one make a kit for M2?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by f87chas View Post
Any one make a kit for M2?
You can get an oil catch can, people have done it, but most people seem to think the newer N55 doesn't suffer from carbon build up so much, at the very least you get double the miles the N54 did.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Common myth that a catch can solves carbon build up issues.

The detergents in modern oil actually help reduce / break free carbon build up. Often the blowby is there by design to help the issue slightly - you can see this in almost all VAG engines engineering manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanLife View Post
Common myth that a catch can solves carbon build up issues.

The detergents in modern oil actually help reduce / break free carbon build up. Often the blowby is there by design to help the issue slightly - you can see this in almost all VAG engines engineering manual.
There's no need to reduce carbon build-up if you prevent it from happening in the first place. The build-up occurs because of the blow-by oil in the intake valves. If oil is caught before it gets to the valves, there's no issue with build-up.

If your engine is port injection as opposed to direct injection, the effect the fuel has on the valves helps reduce the buildup.

I would be most interested in installing an oil catch can in my M2, but I haven't seen any easily installed solutions yet. I'm thinking of possibly buying a can from Mishimoto and installing it somehow, since it's not that expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh_kross View Post
There's no need to reduce carbon build-up if you prevent it from happening in the first place. The build-up occurs because of the blow-by oil in the intake valves. If oil is caught before it gets to the valves, there's no issue with build-up.

If your engine is port injection as opposed to direct injection, the effect the fuel has on the valves helps reduce the buildup.

I would be most interested in installing an oil catch can in my M2, but I haven't seen any easily installed solutions yet. I'm thinking of possibly buying a can from Mishimoto and installing it somehow, since it's not that expensive.
Oil is not the only direct factor of carbon build up on intake valves - there are several variables that attribute to it - thus why catch cans do not fully stop carbon build up and can make the carbon more difficult to remove once it does build up.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Oil is not the only direct factor of carbon build up on intake valves - there are several variables that attribute to it - thus why catch cans do not fully stop carbon build up and can make the carbon more difficult to remove once it does build up.
What are the direct factors then? Every reference I've come across seems to blame oil and direct injection remove the port injection benefit of cleaning the valves. Why do you say otherwise? Honestly curious.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #8
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I believe the only other paths to the intake system are through the air filter and via the EGR (exhaust gas recirculating) valve. Assuming the air filter is doing its job, the EGR in combination with blow-by could/would, I assume, cause buildup on intake valves.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #9
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
I believe the only other paths to the intake system are through the air filter and via the EGR (exhaust gas recirculating) valve. Assuming the air filter is doing its job, the EGR in combination with blow-by could/would, I assume, cause buildup on intake valves.
Yes this is fully correct - plus there are various other factors such as cylinder head / valve temperature - heating up / cool down time for the valves themselves - keeping the valves hot longer during the cool down phase for the engine will allow build up not stick / bake on as easily as a quick valve cool down period thus being easier to dislodge during operation on the next start cycle. This is one part of the equation why some specific brand / quality level / additive level oils are spec'd now by the OEMs as the detergent contacting a hot valve during cool down will allow for easier dislodge during the next cycle.

+ several other factors if you're interested I could explain.

Catch can are great on high blow by motors as the oil vapor reduces the timing advance you can run when it enters the combustion chamber.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 09:55 PM   #10
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes this is fully correct - plus there are various other factors such as cylinder head / valve temperature - heating up / cool down time for the valves themselves - keeping the valves hot longer during the cool down phase for the engine will allow build up not stick / bake on as easily as a quick valve cool down period thus being easier to dislodge during operation on the next start cycle. This is one part of the equation why some specific brand / quality level / additive level oils are spec'd now by the OEMs as the detergent contacting a hot valve during cool down will allow for easier dislodge during the next cycle.

+ several other factors if you're interested I could explain.

Catch can are great on high blow by motors as the oil vapor reduces the timing advance you can run when it enters the combustion chamber.
Well, I would like learning about the phenomenon, if you can write more about it. Is there anything that can be done to minimize the effect of carbon buildup on the valves on this platform? Or is it just not that prone to it? I'd imagine at least changing the oil more frequently maybe helps?
Appreciate 0