BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Mixed tyre brands

03-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
sarvesh
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LBB

Mixed tyre brands

Hi All!
Loving my LBB ‘17 M2!!

Quick question.

My car came with the sh*t conti’s. Front has 75% thread life left in them.
Rears are done been sliding about a lot!!

I plan on moving to MPSS. Can I get two rear 275 MPSS now and change the fronts later?
Will the different brands cause imbalance etc? To the point where it’s dangerous. Or is the slight imbalance livable? I don’t track the car.

Not too keen on splashing out for all 4 MPSS right now but will change fronts in a couple of months time.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
MrKepan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18MY M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarvesh View Post
Hi All!
Loving my LBB ‘17 M2!!

Quick question.

My car came with the sh*t contiÂ’s. Front has 75% thread life left in them.

I plan on moving to MPSS. Can I get two rear 275 MPSS now and change the fronts later?
Will the different brands cause imbalance etc? To the point where itÂ’s dangerous. Or is the slight imbalance livable? I donÂ’t track the car.

Not too keen on splashing out for all 4 MPSS right now but will change fronts in a couple of months time.
Quote:
Hi All!
Loving my LBB ‘17 M2!!

Quick question.

My car came with the sh*t contiÂ’s. Front has 75% thread life left in them.

Will the different brands cause imbalance etc? To the point where itÂ’s dangerous. Or is the slight imbalance livable? I donÂ’t track the car.

Should be fine. You might experience more grip from the rear tires. Maybe need to push little harder to drift.

Tires are tires and don't have a brain. The only thing the car can tell is the friction coefficient. And that changes with the wear.

On a rwd car front and rear have different functions and not mechanically connected. So you are fine to put a different brand on
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Hi All!
Loving my LBB ‘17 M2!!

Quick question.

Will the different brands cause imbalance etc? To the point where it’s dangerous. Or is the slight imbalance livable? I don’t track the car.

I'm doing exactly that once I burn up the rest of the rears. fronts = 8/32" and rears at 5/32"

EDIT: oops I mean going with the stock 265 MP4S on the rears but that is a question I had but haven't done the math yet.

Eventually, I want to go with front - 255/35/19 and rear - 275/35/19. If I put the 275/35/19 on the rears now w/the stock 245/35/19 in the fronts (for now) will that mess w/the traction control, DSC, etc?

EDIT: Looks like the 275/35 rears are fine...
Attached Images

Last edited by omasou; 03-13-2018 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #4
///M²
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi All!
Loving my LBB ‘17 M2!!

Quick question.

You're fine with the plan, might notice some under steer but since you don't track it not an issue for daily driving.
      03-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Doing the same thing. My shit Conti rears are toast at 10k miles. Having some 275 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires installed on the rear and will run the stock Conti's up front since they have plenty of tread left. Might replace the fronts later in the year if I don't like how it is handling.