BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Barn Find: Million-dollar pre-WWII 328 race car found!

03-03-2018, 10:52 PM   #45
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Here is a CRT for sale...

Go to 08:10...
Whoa, was that Evan Paul Motorsports in Costa Mesa that had that CRT? That's pretty random. I grew up in OC, went to grade school in Costa Mesa. I know where that dealer is... Small world
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      03-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #46
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Like the joke about George Washington's axe, that has had the head replaced twice, and now with a new handle...but the original VIN tag. If I had s/t like this, I'd want a full replica I could swap tags to, and then run things like the MMiglia in the new - like the people who wear a fake Rolex on vacation in case they get robbed.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #47
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Like the joke about George Washington's axe, that has had the head replaced twice, and now with a new handle...but the original VIN tag. If I had s/t like this, I'd want a full replica I could swap tags to, and then run things like the MMiglia in the new - like the people who wear a fake Rolex on vacation in case they get robbed.
In the classic car world, it's the chassis (and engine) the most important thing. Bodies, especially for race cars tend to be replaced because of accidents... So it makes sense to put a period BMW style body on the original chassis (so the car can keep/increase its value) and the current body on a cheaper chassis to have 2 cars for the price of one. It is unusual to go for this solution, but heck, why not if the owners can afford it...

Most of the Ferrari 250 GTO's that are worth $50+ million don't have their original bodies or have lots of new repairs on their original body...
      03-07-2018, 08:32 PM   #48
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTime View Post
Aww, you’re awesome
I don’t know if I am worthy of my own build thread yet!! For the most part I just ask excessive amounts of questions while I’m here, lol. Plus I pay attention to what other people are doing to help give me ideas. I’m just thankful everyone has been so helpful and nice

It wouldn’t hurt to start documenting all the fun I’m having with this car though. I do spend a lot of time working on it trying to balance it between a comfy & beautiful DD and also a reliable track car. I’ve enjoyed every minute, I’m hooked.

Omg, I had not heard of the CRT before I think a piece of my heart was just reserved for those cars lol. So gorgeous. I have never felt the way I feel about my E90 with any other car, I can’t explain it. It’s just everything I would ever need a car to be. And then, there is the CRT… building on perfection. I have a new car to daydream about...

Super cool there was one for sale on this forum, it was brand new too. You know that thing wasn’t for sale for long. I can’t believe they are worth 300k now!!

I really can’t thank you enough for all the fantastic BMW stuff you have passed my way, I hope you know how happy it makes me! Plus, you have given me some great ideas on topics to write about. You are appreciated!
Hi.

It does not matter if you're worthy of your own thread: it will be interesting to see what you are doing and yes you can get a ton of advice from members! So I'm looking forward to seeing your build thread.

The CRT is the unicorn of the e92's: more rare and desirable than the GTS and the collecting market has understood that, hence the price they command nowadays. I'm pretty sure it will be a blue chip BMW collectible in the future like the pre war 328, the 507, the e9 3.0 CSL and the E30 M3...

There was a girl in Bimmerpost who sold her CRT a couple of years ago who may regret it now. What a fabulous car it is!

By the way, the M8 Gran Coupé is the nicest concept car BMW has produced for a while. Well, It's not really a concept car but a production car in disguise.

Here's a quick render with animated gif to show the changes ;-)

Name:  M8 gran coupe Concept 03-2018-S.jpg
Views: 2684
Size:  325.9 KB

Name:  M8 GIF.gif
Views: 3141
Size:  330.8 KB

Cheers!
      03-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #49
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Hi.

It does not matter if you're worthy of your own thread: it will be interesting to see what you are doing and yes you can get a ton of advice from members! So I'm looking forward to seeing your build thread.
Lol, I like you. Okay... at some point, in all my spare time... I'll get something together to post about the work I've done and plan to do with my car

Quote:
The CRT is the unicorn of the e92's: more rare and desirable than the GTS and the collecting market has understood that, hence the price they command nowadays. I'm pretty sure it will be a blue chip BMW collectible in the future like the pre war 328, the 507, the e9 3.0 CSL and the E30 M3...

There was a girl in Bimmerpost who sold her CRT a couple of years ago who may regret it now. What a fabulous car it is!
This is so interesting to me. I do believe you are right, this particular model will only become more valuable. Cars that appreciate over time are fascinating to me. Vehicles are just not normally a good choice for an investment you could hope to get a solid return on. When the rare exception comes along to break that status quo, I can't help but be drawn to it. Like the rest of us I guess lol!

Quote:
By the way, the M8 Gran Coupé is the nicest concept car BMW has produced for a while. Well, It's not really a concept car but a production car in disguise.

Here's a quick render with animated gif to show the changes ;-)

Attachment 1782063

Attachment 1782064

Cheers!
Yes, when I saw that M8 Gran Coupe I almost fell over. Not a huge fan of the rear end... but every other part of the exterior of that car is drool-worthy IMO.

I love the rendered pics you share with me!! Now I know who to bug when I need wheels photoshopped on my car prior to purchase
Appreciate 0