BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Stock exhaust rattles/knocks - loose fasteners

01-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
GVN*2FLY
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘16 GT4|‘22 X3MC

Stock exhaust rattles/knocks - loose fasteners

Hey all - found an issue with my MY'16 stock exhaust and wanted to see if anyone else has seen of/heard the same. The two brackets holding the stock (non MPE) mufflers to the subframe are fastened with flanged hex nuts that come loose/fall off. I have 3800 miles on my M2 and the driver side nut came completely off last week, resulting in a loud knocking noise when up/down movement caused it to hit the body. The first pic is the driver side bolt from the frame without the nut.

The 2nd pic is the passenger side bracket. I checked to see if it was tight and, low and behold, it was definitely loose.

So, the point is my particular car has an issue with these nuts coming loose and eventually falling off from vibration. I got a replacement from the good folks at Advantage BMW Midtown Houston free of charge. The factory nuts don't have any loctite or other locking mechanism on them at all, so my guess is more of use will start to see this issue over time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-15-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Thanks for this tip. NOW will have to heat up the garage and go check.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

interesting...... if i remember right my nuts have a mark across them
Seriously I think they had been marked as torqued with a torque pen. I will double check when it goes in for alignment
Appreciate 0