BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Trading my 2017 M2 with 1M? Is it worth it?

12-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #23
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Lol I also don't know why the 1m is holding its value so well either, I thought when the m2 and m2C launched (budget M's) it would kill off the 1m. Guess not lol.
Lots of people thought this.

The fact is, it is looked at as the last of the real BMWs AND it is limited, so it is a desired object based on those.
Appreciate 3
Tornado1M1218.50
Robin_NL8732.50
      12-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #24
Kamil.EA
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mini JCW 2019 Black Edition

Great deal ! In a year from now you can still get your money back.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #25
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Lots of people thought this.

The fact is, it is looked at as the last of the real BMWs AND it is limited, so it is a desired object based on those.
Definitely!
I looked at it as the last real BMW too when the 1 series died off, but then BMW introduced the 2 series so I just viewed it as one of the last true M's (successor to the e46 m3). Then the m2 came along and that no longer holds true, the 1m now is considered one of the great M's but no longer the last great m.

I'm going to attiribute this to the reputation the 1m has built up over the years accounting for it's retained resale value. But as time passes it'll likely drop. For instance look at the Valentine one radar detector, it was considered the greatest detector for so long it had crazy resale value. Now that better performing detectors have come along (uniden r3) it took maybe a year or so until people relalized it's reputation no longer held true, but the resale value if the v1 has completely deteriorated and no one wants them anymore.

I'm not saying that will happen to the 1m since it's so rare, but I'm thinking it won't be as overpriced as it is now. Maybe it'll drop to MSRP, or slightly below as BMW introduces more limited m models like the m2csl.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #26
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Even though the M2 is a more advanced car, the 1M is an investment these days. I guess it depends on what you want it for, but I don't think you'd end up losing money. You might actually make some.

The dealership that I bought my M2 from services a cherry Sakir Orange 1M regularly. My CA told me they offered to trade him a brand new M2 + cash and he refused.

And to think, I had an opportunity to buy one brand new back in 2011. Oh well
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #27
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Strike a deal with the 1M owner to exchange cars for a month or two. Inform insurers about the new regular driver. Decide afterwards whether to sell cars, to keep cars or to continue sharing both cars (for free) for limited periods of time.
You can't be a swinger and girlfriend/wife-swap. Invariably, jealousy rears it's ugly head. Sure, they're similar (dat ass); one of 'em has a better rack; both got lots to offer under the hood. But you have to choose: The raw, dirty bad girl, or the more sophisticated, less raw, but still plenty dirty girl. GL. First world problems
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 03:37 PM   #28
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosbocaj View Post
Even though the M2 is a more advanced car, the 1M is an investment these days. I guess it depends on what you want it for, but I don't think you'd end up losing money. You might actually make some.

The dealership that I bought my M2 from services a cherry Sakir Orange 1M regularly. My CA told me they offered to trade him a brand new M2 + cash and he refused.

And to think, I had an opportunity to buy one brand new back in 2011. Oh well
I think only extremely low milage 1m's in absolutely excellent condition (no track usage) and unmodified 1m's will have any value in the future as bmws continue to release limited m models.

The thing is for me I keep seeing 1m's for sale locally hovering from $50kCAD-$60KCAD, ranging from 20,000km-40,000km. I'm just not really interested in the 1m, as I said before I really dislike the n54. I also can't buy one for an investment either because I can't hold back from tracking these things.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 03:55 PM   #29
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I think only extremely low milage 1m's in absolutely excellent condition (no track usage) and unmodified 1m's will have any value in the future as bmws continue to release limited m models.

The thing is for me I keep seeing 1m's for sale locally hovering from $50kCAD-$60KCAD, ranging from 20,000km-40,000km. I'm just not really interested in the 1m, as I said before I really dislike the n54. I also can't buy one for an investment either because I can't hold back from tracking these things.
Yeah for sure. The 1M I mentioned is owned by a retired dude, is bone stock, and has about 12k miles on it. I briefly looked inside it and it was immaculate. I don't blame the dealership one bit for trying to snag it from him. They could probably get $60k or more for it. In THAT case , I'd say it's worth it. Otherwise, if it was me, I'd keep the M2.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #30
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardanM2qa View Post
Guys I need your advise before I proceed with this.

My BMW M2 (Manual):
year: 2017
Mileage: 13000 miles
Color: Alpine White
Modifications: full Vorsteiner body kit (front splitter, Rear Diffuser, Side Kit, Vff 107 wheels, Spoiler), Autotecknic CF mirrors, MP Digital Steering Wheel, MP shift knob.

Trading it for a 1M:
Mileage 14000.

My experience with the 1M is weak, and I am aware that the M2 is faster, better in handling, breaking.... but for some reason I feel that this offer cannot be rejected.

note: no money will be paid (Car for Car)
you have to drive it, simple. If you like how it drives do it. If you can't tell the difference, keep your M2.

The M2 being a "better" car depends on what you want in a car.
If you are the average BMW owner that doesn't care about:
More weight,
less steering feel,
just the 0-60 numbers
then the yes, the M2 is a better car.

Looks are so subjective.
The side profile of the M2 is beautiful the front is trendy and will age quickly. The rear is ugly.
The 1M rear is amazing, the side is OK, front is not as good..

The 1M offers a unique experience with it's hydraulic rack and quirky power delivery and handling. Almost every reviewer loves the M2 but when they drive them back to back, there is something about the 1M that edges out the M2. Even Chris Harris spent his own money, silly M2 money, on a used 1M and he drives all sorts of nutso, exotic cars.. What does that tell you?

You can still find almost new M2s everywhere but clean 1Ms are harder to find. People say that 1M value will drop with miles driven. This is true but what they don't say is that an M2 with the same miles driven will drop in value more than the 1M. A 100K mile 1M will be worth more than a 100K mile M2 in the same cosmetic and mechanical condition.

With that said I don't think you should do it for two reasons:
1. you asked. If you really understood and valued what makes the 1M special, then you wouldn't need to ask on an M2 forum. you have doubts and what makes the 1M special is subjective not objective.

2. You want to drive every day. Again the average BMW people say it's about the softer suspension in the M2 that makes it a better daily driver. But what really makes the M2 a better daily driver is that it is easily replaced. There is a freedom and enjoyment that comes from driving something that is 90% of the 1M but you can pick up a new one or close to new any time. With the 1M, you know you are driving something special. The last of the old-school BMWs that you grew up loving and one that you would hate to get rear ended by some kid in a Nissan pickup like what happened to me in my ZHP.

You mentioned that you really don't know the 1M. Well it does nothing better objectively than the M2 other than give you better steering feedback which is which ironically put BMW on every magazines top picks for decades.

So again I confirm that it does nothing objectively better except for the steering feel.

You could make the same argument with your first high school love and another girl with similar or even better looks. They both have two arms, two legs, two breasts and nice figure. But the other girl can run the 100 meters in .1 seconds faster therefore she is better and you shouldn't even think about your first love.

What makes the 1M special is all fluff and and subjective stuff. The same goofy stuff that makes you fall in love with the the first girl over an even quicker, more athletic girl. It is a combination of history and feel that makes the 1M special.

The 1M was:
-The last BMW ever ONLY offered in a MANual transmission.
-It was the first production car with air curtains which every single BMW now copies as well as every single new sporty car.
-Everyone was a "slick-top"
-The first turbocharged M-Car
- Many came with the best, pure no NAV, No IDrive, manual seat cockpits reminescent of the CSL M3s minus the cloth seats.
-They come with an M3 hydraulic steering rack that is still superior on feel than the electric ones.
- It was lighter than the M2, there was no reason the M2 had to weigh more.
-It didn't put digitized sound in the cockpit
-It had a proper oil temperature gauge
-It has MANual throttle blip...you do it with your foot.
-It has a devilish character that was muted in the M2

All of these enumerated items plus $2.80 will get you a tall coffee at starbucks, but to some of us, they matter.

The 1M gives you something you cannot get in any new BMW especially if you appreciate the clean no-nav, no idrive cockpit.

In order for it to make sense all of these subjective things would have to be important to you. If they don't matter then there is no added value to the 1M. The M2 will do almost everything faster with less worry so my calculus says you should keep it and leave the 1M for the romantics that love that.

You know the ones that see a difference between beating the drums with sweat droplets spraying vs the guys that push the beat button on their keyboard and tell you.....why you working so hard, my Casio beat box keeps better time without all the sweat!

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 5
Tornado1M1218.50
doug_9992544.50
champignon1565.50
      12-26-2018, 04:08 PM   #31
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

I used to love hydraulic steering racks coming from the sti lineage of cars. But when you track them with significantly sticker front tires you now have to worry about cooling the hydraulic steering fluid and leaks. So these days I actually really love the electronic steering. Plus the n55 is significantly more reliable than the n54 especially for track duty. So for my money I will always pick the m2.

Edit- imo I think the 1m looks pretty bad. The fenders itself looks like a cheap widebody kit attempt to get a bit of extra width for wider tires, and not well blended into the body.
Appreciate 1
TripleU170.00
      12-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #32
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

Nachob I'll never get tired of your wall of texts singing the nauces of the 1er. It's tough to put into words why owners love the 1m so much but I feel like you do a great job, and OP should consider your advice.

F87source, I have a pre-lci m2 that I love and I'd be the first to tell you next to the 1M it looks more modern. The 1M looks down right dated. Which is cool and all I suppose, but so does the m2 already next to the m2c and it's only like 3 years old. The m2s front bumper looks like it had its wisdom teeth recently removed, the fenders are so ill defined they remind me of swollen bee stings, and the rear looks suspiciously like an accord coupe's. Good thing looks are subjective.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #33
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope View Post
Nachob I'll never get tired of your wall of texts singing the nauces of the 1er. It's tough to put into words why owners love the 1m so much but I feel like you do a great job, and OP should consider your advice.
I had a post and then I read nachob 's and well... I just could not have said it better myself. And IMHO, both cars look unique - the front of the 1M is ugly, the rear of the M2 is bland if not ugly. But that's me of course.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1218.50
      12-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #34
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
The 1M looks down right dated. Which is cool and all I suppose, but so does the m2 already next to the m2c.
You mistyped "m2c looks ugly next to m2"
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 05:39 PM   #35
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Not to thread jack, but seriously, why does the M2 look so much better than the M2C? Wheels? Front end? Exhaust? I can't put my finger on it, but the M2C is just so bland - it does nothing for me especially compared to the M2.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #36
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

I’d trade the M2 for the 1M - sell the 1M and get another OGM2 and pocket the cash �� . 1M is a get drivers car for sure but it’s just fugly as hell
Appreciate 2
      12-26-2018, 05:57 PM   #37
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardanM2qa View Post
Guys I need your advise before I proceed with this.

My BMW M2 (Manual):
year: 2017
Mileage: 13000 miles
Color: Alpine White
Modifications: full Vorsteiner body kit (front splitter, Rear Diffuser, Side Kit, Vff 107 wheels, Spoiler), Autotecknic CF mirrors, MP Digital Steering Wheel, MP shift knob.

Trading it for a 1M:
Mileage 14000.

My experience with the 1M is weak, and I am aware that the M2 is faster, better in handling, breaking.... but for some reason I feel that this offer cannot be rejected.

note: no money will be paid (Car for Car)
I owned the 1M,09 M3 and 18 M2.

I disagree, I feel the 1M is faster especially when comparing Manuel vs Manuel. It was never offered in dct so you can't compare dct M2 to the Manuel 1M. Also the 1M is so much more raw in every way.

Ahh... I would trade my 18 with 4,000km for a 1M straight up
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2018, 05:58 PM   #38
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Quote:
Not to thread jack, but seriously, why does the M2 look so much better than the M2C? Wheels? Front end? Exhaust? I can't put my finger on it, but the M2C is just so bland - it does nothing for me especially compared to the M2.
Agree. I think it's the wheels, exhaust and the fused front grills
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #39
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

F87source, I have a pre-lci m2 that I love and I'd be the first to tell you next to the 1M it looks more modern. The 1M looks down right dated. Which is cool and all I suppose, but so does the m2 already next to the m2c and it's only like 3 years old. The m2s front bumper looks like it had its wisdom teeth recently removed, the fenders are so ill defined they remind me of swollen bee stings, and the rear looks suspiciously like an accord coupe's. Good thing looks are subjective.
Yup looks are really subjective. I like the smoothly blended lines, and not aftermarket special, which is why I still don't personally like psm dynamic's widebody kit at all. It doesn't blend in right With the factory lines like an actual fender replacement would, and therefore look alot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk09 View Post
I owned the 1M,09 M3 and 18 M2.

I disagree, I feel the 1M is faster especially when comparing Manuel vs Manuel. It was never offered in dct so you can't compare dct M2 to the Manuel 1M. Also the 1M is so much more raw in every way.

Ahh... I would trade my 18 with 4,000km for a 1M straight up
To me the 1m doesn't feel faster, I believe it's an illusion caused by the shorter wheel base making it feel "darty" and more nimble. But in reality it causes laptimes to be slower than the m2 as the chassis balance on the m2 is better allowing for more stable and consistent laptimes.

0-60 I think the m2 is faster due to the few extra horsepower it picks up and better diff, but the weight savings could make it even I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 08:08 PM   #40
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
You listed the three major visual differences - grille, exhaust, and the wheels.
The lower front M2C bumper is actually nice and so is the M Performance CF lip. The seats are undoubtedly nicer on the M2C.

My main turn off is the grille, the rest can be upgraded.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 09:29 PM   #41
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You listed the three major visual differences - grille, exhaust, and the wheels.
The lower front M2C bumper is actually nice and so is the M Performance CF lip. The seats are undoubtedly nicer on the M2C.

My main turn off is the grille, the rest can be upgraded.
The funny thing is that the m2C imo looks really good lol, everything about it looks good.

So if anyone with an m2C wants to do a bunch.per swap
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 09:39 PM   #42
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

To nachob's point above....seriously, if you have to ask and don't know much or enough about the 1M, just pass on it and leave it to those that get it and understand it
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2018, 10:50 PM   #43
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

I owned an M2.

It was a good car, for me the 1M is in another league. The hydraulic steering annilates the feel of the M2. Steering feel in a sports car is a huge component of the driving experience.

1M: Smaller, lighter, more visceral, feels frantic, boost comes on and kicks the car in the ass, it might not be for everyone, but - honestly, back to back, the M2 feels a bit dull.

I give BMW kudos for making both cars, I wish the M2 was manual only and no rev matching like the 1M, but the formula of a baby M is great!
I just prefer the Original, by a wide margin. YMMV
Appreciate 4
champignon1565.50
Tornado1M1218.50
10"4981.00
termigni1081.00
      12-27-2018, 02:23 AM   #44
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Not sure why people ask total strangers for advice on a financial matter such as this. The 1M (if in good shape, no issues etc) is worth substantially more than the M2. Sounds like a lot was spent on the M2's mods but mods don't add value so this would be a good deal to get out of your M2 without getting hurt. Values on the 1M are at a irrational point because of speculators, for that reason it's not really a car to be driven daily if you want to get maximum value out of the deal.

I am skeptical that this deal really exists, simply sounds too good to be true.
Appreciate 2
qnet684.50
Tornado1M1218.50