BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Buying advice M2 or M2 Comp?

03-21-2021, 11:05 AM   #45
StevenX94
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

I really am tempted to go OG M2, mostly because of the price and not so far away performance wise from the M2C.
It has all the power needed on the streets.

BUT!
It seems alot of people are saying the M2C has a smoother ride even on bumpy roads. I am getting the hint of that the M2C is more comfortable when doing long distances? Maybe it combines that M-Power with some luxoury better than OG M2?

As i said, performance wise OG M2 is so enough. But i do long trips sometimes (5 hours +), so any extra degree of comfort is a plus!
I hope anyone here who has any more facts about comfort specifically would share them here. Have you done longer with either/both cars? Feeling differences?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #46
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
New M2C owner. 20 years ago I would have said M2. These days I understand what resale value means. After doing research, I could not justify spending only 10-15k less to not have a true M engine. The regular M2 with the 3 series engine was not even considered.
My M2 has held its value better than any car I’ve ever owned. In almost two years and 21k miles- even with COVID- it’s lost at worst $2-3k. I don’t think people care as much about an M engine as you think- they just care about having an M badge.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 12:40 PM   #47
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenX94 View Post
I really am tempted to go OG M2, mostly because of the price and not so far away performance wise from the M2C.

BUT!
It seems alot of people are saying the M2C has a smoother ride even on bumpy roads. I am getting the hint of that the M2C is more comfortable when doing long distances? Maybe it combines that M-Power with some luxoury better than OG M2?

As i said, performance wise OG M2 is so enough. But i do long trips sometimes (5 hours +), so any extra degree of comfort is a plus!
I hope anyone here who has any more facts about comfort specifically would share them here. Have you done longer with either/both cars? Feeling differences?
Both BMWs have the exact same suspension. I don't buy that the M2C has a smoother ride.
Fined243.00
      03-21-2021, 12:51 PM   #48
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:

BUT!

Both BMWs have the exact same suspension.

I don't buy that the M2C has a smoother ride.
Something that was probably made up after heavy drinking or a lack of sleep

You decide

🤔
      03-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #49
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
      03-21-2021, 01:19 PM   #50
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Go post this question in the M2C forums and you will get your answer 😃
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #51
StevenX94
Private
Rep

Quote:
Haha!
The answers should hopefully be unbiased either way here or there😏
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #52
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Haha!
The answers should hopefully be unbiased either way here or there😏
Appreciate 1
swampfox941186.50
      03-21-2021, 01:55 PM   #53
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
The answers should hopefully be unbiased either way here or there
The only car that actually rides smoother is the M2CS

Thats because it has adaptive

03-21-2021, 02:35 PM   #54
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

On a distance drive i.e. motorway not going to make any difference as the suspension is settled.

I've gone from before and after M2C brace retrofit and it's much better. That is what people are feeling with the M2C and 55kg extra.

The suspension actually works properly after the brace was fitted, you can sense/feel it. PS4S has made it another step smoother it just wafts down the road and is queiter and more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 09:09 PM   #55
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Both BMWs have the exact same suspension. I don't buy that the M2C has a smoother ride.
It's the difference in chassis stiffness that allows the suspension to work correctly.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 10:15 PM   #56
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
It's the difference in chassis stiffness that allows the suspension to work correctly.
I don’t buy it. The added brace does make the car flatter in the corners but does nothing to enhance smoothness.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 11:26 PM   #57
StevenX94
Private
Rep

It may be the car weight increase which makes it feel more steady...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 01:28 AM   #58
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:

BUT!

Ive done 12 hour trips with my OG. Its fine lol. My only recommendation is turning off ASD with something like bimmercode coz the interior becomes much quieter and tolerable on long road trips
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 05:59 AM   #59
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

lots of good perspectives in here, but I agree the most telling thing will be your driving both

here's my experience:

I was looking for a replacment for my 2016 Cayman S and I test drove a 2018 M2. I found the engine felt like your typical turbo engine with significant lag and basically felt like a more powerful version of the engine in the m235i I had tested 2 years prior. The ride was noticeably rough and harsh. It sounded amazing!

The turbo lag and ride though made it a no go for me. I actually ended up going with an m240i as I felt the b58 was less laggy and the ride was much better.

Predictably I got bored of the m240i and so looked as the M2C. Test drove one and noticed the ride was more composed, not much different than the m240i. The engine while still obviously a turbo with lag, felt more naturally aspirated and had more character to it in the way it revved and SOUNDED GOOD INSIDE the car. The handling was very sharp and focused.

I was still meh about the car overall, but there was no other compact manual car out there that appealed, so I ordered one.

I've actually grown to really enjoy the car.

Anyhow that's my experience for what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:41 AM   #60
StevenX94
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
lots of good perspectives in here, but I agree the most telling thing will be your driving both

here's my experience:

I was looking for a replacment for my 2016 Cayman S and I test drove a 2018 M2. I found the engine felt like your typical turbo engine with significant lag and basically felt like a more powerful version of the engine in the m235i I had tested 2 years prior. The ride was noticeably rough and harsh. It sounded amazing!

The turbo lag and ride though made it a no go for me. I actually ended up going with an m240i as I felt the b58 was less laggy and the ride was much better.

Predictably I got bored of the m240i and so looked as the M2C. Test drove one and noticed the ride was more composed, not much different than the m240i. The engine while still obviously a turbo with lag, felt more naturally aspirated and had more character to it in the way it revved and SOUNDED GOOD INSIDE the car. The handling was very sharp and focused.

I was still meh about the car overall, but there was no other compact manual car out there that appealed, so I ordered one.

Good comparision! As you may read, performance wise M2C is logically the better car, but as you have tried both M2 and M2C, do you have any comment on comfortability? Same or there differences?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #61
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post

here's my experience:

Theres no turbo lag with these engine,

Unless you drive it in comfort and expect it to be instant boost there is no lag
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #62
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Good comparision! As you may read, performance wise M2C is logically the better car, but as you have tried both M2 and M2C, do you have any comment on comfortability? Same or there differences?
I found the M2C ride to be definitely more compliant than the M2
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 10:14 AM   #63
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Theres no turbo lag with these engine,

Unless you drive it in comfort and expect it to be instant boost there is no lag

if you've had lots of turbo cars, you probably have gotten used to it and don't even notice the lag anymore

my m240i was my first turbo car in a while and I got used to it and didn't even notice the lag after a while, then I test drove a non-turbo car, got back into my m240i and I was like hello turbo lag!
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      03-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #64
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
New M2C owner. 20 years ago I would have said M2. These days I understand what resale value means. After doing research, I could not justify spending only 10-15k less to not have a true M engine. The regular M2 with the 3 series engine was not even considered.
To be fair, it's not a 3 series engine in the OG M2. Lots of differences/upgrades in addition to the bump in torque and horsepower. Some components from the S55. Despite missing the "S", they still M-ified the engine. Notable differences in the link below...

https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/07/28/b...ven-better-m2/

And fwiw, I have an N55 335 and OG M2...the engines feel noticeably different to me. If they hadn't when test driving the OG, I would have likely gone M2C to change things up with the S55.
Appreciate 1
DanG10660.50
      03-22-2021, 12:24 PM   #65
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
Quote:
My M2 has held its value better than any car I’ve ever owned. In almost two years and 21k miles- even with COVID- it’s lost at worst $2-3k. I don’t think people care as much about an M engine as you think- they just care about having an M badge.
Ugh this is so true unfortunately. I despise how much BMW has watered down the Motorsport brand. Almost every car has tons of ///M stickers these days. So to the layman they are all M cars. My 330xi wagon has tons of stupid M stickers. Does that make it an M car? Fuck no. BMW M used to mean something, but not any more.

Retired: 2016 328i xDrive SportsWagon, 2010 Z4 sDrive 35i, 2006 530 xiT, 1999 323i
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 12:27 PM   #66
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

OP is talking about doing long drives of 5+ hours but all the focus is on perceived suspension differences between the OG M2 and the M2C. I think that's barking up the wrong tree. What's more important for long drives is the difference in seats, and this is purely subjective - there is no absolute right answer, only the right answer for your specific body shape.

Before buying our M2, we drove multiple M3/M4 (I believe the M2C seats are close to those in shape, hence the comparison) in situations where the dealer basically throws you the keys and says "see you later". So we got to spend 30-45 minutes in the M3/M4 seats multiple times across multiple visits. We found them really nice looking, but uncomfortable after 20-30 minutes. This was a big deal for us, as we found the OG M2 seats dramatically more comfortable. Since we often visit clients 2-3 hours away, this was an important factor. I'm 5'9" and about 165lbs, my wife 4'10" about 105lbs, and 3 hours in the OG M2 seats is like 3 minutes, zero back pain, leg pain, or fatigue. Like they were tailor made for us.

I'd done a ton of reading here across the M2 and M3/M4 forums, and I noticed a pattern with comments about seat comfort: the M3/M4 seats (and likely by inference the M2C seats) were widely praised by taller/larger drivers, while comments in favor of the OG M2 / 2-Series seats, and complaints against the M3/M4 seats, were often made by drivers under 5'10". Again, I emphasize this is purely anecdotal so don't take this as fact, just a definite pattern I noticed.

Nobody can tell you which feels better - you'll need to figure this out on your own. Maybe consider using Turo to rent an M2C/M3/M4 and then do the same with an OG M2, if possible. At the very least, go find these sitting at dealers and just sit for a while. My guess is your body will tell you very quickly which one it wants to be in for 5 hours. Extra horsepower is always nice and lighted seat emblems are cool, but they won't compensate for seats you dread sitting in for long drives. Likewise, saving $10K on an OG would be great but not if it turns out your specific physique matches the M2C seat design better. Forget how the two designs look - they feel completely different and you need to figure out which is right for you.

(for those who would point out that seats can be swapped/changed, I get that but this post assumes the OP isn't interested in dealing with all that).
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
cptobvious2531.50